Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:12 AM

Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs (1385 Views)

Honestly Speaking; Some Jobs Are Not Jobs / What You Need Are Customers Not Jobs! / Vacancy : Tailors And Factory Workers Are Needed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by jdilight(m): 4:43pm On Jul 01, 2014
For more than two weeks an advert we placed for a good computer operator has received little interest. The unfortunate part is that the few who has responded has not knowledge of neither Microsoft word or Corel draw. To make matter worst, they come with certificates that certifies them good computer operators.

Today's jobs are not for certificate holders (CV), but for problem solvers.

Get skilled: be the best in your field. Your time is coming.
Re: Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by onegig(m): 6:34pm On Jul 01, 2014
jdilight: For more than two weeks an advert we placed for a good computer operator has received little interest. The unfortunate part is that the few who has responded has not knowledge of neither Microsoft word or Corel draw. To make matter worst, they come with certificates that certifies them good computer operators.

Today's jobs are not for certificate holders (CV), but for problem solvers.

Get skilled: be the best in your field. Your time is coming.
Maybe you do with the ones who came and train them on the job.

Sometimes the ones with very good skills prefer sleeping at home and freelancing than working for peanuts or in an unappreciative environment. Up your ante and you would see "wizards" willing to work for you.

Money is not everything but you need to understand it's a basic for any serious employee who has mouths to feed and needs to satisfy. Also remember everyone deserves good motivation and everyone deserves commiserate pay.

6 Likes

Re: Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by acidtalk: 11:08pm On Jul 01, 2014
^^^Normal Nigerian Mentality.
When he trains them and still goes ahead to pay the required salary then who is at a loss? Bearing in mind that they will leave immediately they assume to have gotten the skill and will be offered a better pay elsewhere.

I keep saying it, Nigeria has Abundant of jobs but it's a country filled with LAZY INDIVIDUALS.

You will see a jobless man for over a decade still selecting job saying "I can't take a marketing job, its too stressful". Yet he feels no shame begging money from friends and relatives every passing week.

FAILED GENERATION.

1 Like

Re: Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by onegig(m): 1:20pm On Jul 02, 2014
acidtalk: ^^^Normal Nigerian Mentality.
When he trains them and still goes ahead to pay the require salary then who is at a loss? Bearing in mind that they will leave immediately they assume to have gotten and skill and will be offered a better pay elsewhere.

I keep saying it, Nigeria has Abundant of jobs but its it's a country filled with LAZY INDIVIDUALS.

You will see a jobless man for over a decade still selecting job saying "I can't take a marketing jobs its too stressful". Yet he feels no shame begging money from friends and relatives every passing week.

FAILED GENERATION.

Abeg. I understand your plight but not all these Computer operator jobs you see around.

Ask the op how much he is willing to pay the person he hires. 5-10k max? Ain't it?

Consider the person is going to be working 6days per week and 10-12 hours daily i.e 7am-6pm. That's around N40:00 naira per hour.

Is the pay commiserate with the skills he is looking for?
I guess the computer operator would not only just operate computers alone, he would be in charge of photocopy, scanning , lamination and even be used as a receptionist.

Best thing he needs to do is to get someone who's not so vast in the field. Train them on the job and pay them the little he can offer.
At least it is a win-win solution. The employee learns on the job and the employer gets to pay the "average" salary.

Show me the abundant jobs? I have over 9 years skills in Microsoft office, Corel draw, design and anything he might even need maybe he should state his pay so I might consider if it is worth joining him. At least now it's not about poor skills, it's about the pay. grin grin

Jdilight what do you say?

4 Likes

Re: Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by jdilight(m): 10:44am On Jul 04, 2014
onegig:

Abeg. I understand your plight but not all these Computer operator jobs you see around.

Ask the op how much he is willing to pay the person he hires. 5-10k max? Ain't it?

Consider the person is going to be working 6days per week and 10-12 hours daily i.e 7am-6pm. That's around N40:00 naira per hour.

Is the pay commiserate with the skills he is looking for?
I guess the computer operator would not only just operate computers alone, he would be in charge of photocopy, scanning , lamination and even be used as a receptionist.

Best thing he needs to do is to get someone who's not so vast in the field. Train them on the job and pay them the little he can offer.
At least it is a win-win solution. The employee learns on the job and the employer gets to pay the "average" salary.

Show me the abundant jobs? I have over 9 years skills in Microsoft office, Corel draw, design and anything he might even need maybe he should state his pay so I might consider if it is worth joining him. At least now it's not about poor skills, it's about the pay. grin grin

Jdilight what do you say?

Pay is not always the issue. Here we pay the office cleaner 17, 000 naira per month, though she run some errand at the office and she doesn't work on Saturday. The question is do you know your job well. If an employee comes to me and the first question he or she ask is "how much do you pay or what is the pay package like" I will not employ you.
Re: Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by onegig(m): 12:37pm On Jul 04, 2014
jdilight:

Pay is not always the issue. Here we pay the office cleaner 17, 000 naira per month, though she run some errand at the office and she doesn't work on Saturday. The question is do you know your job well. If an employee comes to me and the first question he or she ask is "how much do you pay or what is the pay package like" I will not employ you.
That's cool. Although not everyone is interested in pay. But the ridiculous amounts being offered to "skilled workers"in this field by most companies and individuals is making them withdraw from working under someone. You can't discard this fact. If those companies who offer peanuts get lucky and get one skilled person, they are just using that to pass time until they get their acts right. Why would i work when i can hustle,be on my own and get times 5 the amount i am being offered and still have my freedom which is invaluable?

Anyways, glad you pay your cleaners well. Keep it up and i guess you can see how motivated they would be.

I asked what you intend to pay because this ain't official channels. Maybe you state it. I might just down my tools here and hop onto your company's train bro.
Re: Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by jdilight(m): 12:47pm On Jul 04, 2014
onegig: Not everyone is interested in pay. But the ridiculous amounts being offered to "skilled workers"in this field is making them withdraw from working under someone. You can't discard this fact. If you get one, they are just using that to pass time until they get their acts right. Why would i work when i can hustle and get times 3 the amount i am being offered and still have my freedom?

Anyways, glad you pay your cleaners well. Keep it up and i guess you can see how motivated they would be.

I asked what you intend to pay because this ain't official channels. Maybe you state it. I might just down my tools here and hop onto your company's train bro.

Your welcome, I believe acquiring experience is better than any pay that can be giving for any job. The experience one get in a particular job may open up a door for a better pay. Honestly I dislike people being idle.
Re: Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by cmonek(m): 12:53pm On Jul 04, 2014
jdilight:

Your welcome, I believe acquiring experience is better than any pay that can be giving for any job. The experience one get in a particular job may open up a door for a better pay. Honestly I dislike people being idle.
Aki, you are RIGHT:....
Re: Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by donigspain(m): 11:50pm On Jul 04, 2014
@jdilight
You're yet to answer onegig. He asked you to state how much you pay your computer operators. He earlier pointed out his wealth of experience spanning nine years. Since you constantly turn down other applicants for not having the required skill why not state your payment package and who knows he might be ready and willing to work.

1 Like

Re: Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by acidtalk: 4:06am On Jul 05, 2014
donigspain: @jdilight
You're yet to answer onegig. He asked you to state how much you pay your computer operators. He earlier pointed out his wealth of experience spanning nine years. Since you constantly turn down other applicants for not having the required skill why not state your payment package and who knows he might be ready and willing to work.

CRAP!!!

Why should he state what he is willing to pay? 9years experience DOESN'T translate to 9years of being a graphic artist, team player, or a good employee.

Salary are always determined after interview, test, and other considerations. While I pay some graduates (B.Sc) N40,000 I pay some OND and school cert leavers N52,000 doing the same job because of their job ethics.

1 Like

Re: Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by onegig(m): 5:37am On Jul 05, 2014
donigspain: @jdilight
Lol. I was just taunting him. I am not interested in the work. Just wanted to prove him that there are skilled workers out there. I can name at least three different people who are awesome with these skills and i can vouch for but would prefer to chill than take up offers they deem demeaning. And trust me a larger percentage of them is always is.

So when someone skilled sees an advert for such positions of computer operator they just tune off.
Re: Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by onegig(m): 5:50am On Jul 05, 2014
acidtalk:

CRAP!!!

Why should he state what he is willing to pay? 9years experience DOESN'T translate to 9years of being a graphic artist, team player, or a good employee.

Salary are always determined after interview, test, and other considerations. While I pay some graduates (B.Sc) N40,000 I pay some OND and school cert leavers N52,000 doing the same job because of their job ethics.
lol. You funny o. So how do you appraise work ethics, group play from a few minutes of interview with a potential worker?

If you have me in your team you would be glad you did. Not blowing my trumpet but when they say someone who's thoroughly skilled in what they do and still knows a substantial part about every other thing under social, arts and science then i could well be that guy.

I guess those b.sc workers are just passing time in your "company" or are just not using their certs or even their heads. I can't blame you.

Money is useless. Create value and you would have all the money. I understand Money is just a means of exchange. You can't pay peanuts for the "value" i have. It's that simple.

2 Likes

Re: Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by davide470(m): 8:07am On Jul 05, 2014
acidtalk:

CRAP!!!

Hmmm..
•Are you trying to demean 9 years of experience because they really don't sell that in the market!

•It is totally unethical and against any corporate belief for you to pay an OND more than a B.Sc, no matter the outcome of the interview because once the latter finds out (he will), it leads to dead morale.
Re: Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by donigspain(m): 8:17am On Jul 05, 2014
acidtalk:

CRAP!!!

Level and quality of skill is directly proportional to renumeration package. There is always a fixed range of wages for a given skill and qualification. These employers are simply taking advantage of the country's unemployment situation to reap off graduates (even the skilled amongst them).

If you're looking for a skilled worker with a university degree then be ready to pay such person what is expected for such level of skill and qualification. If you can't pay such amount then be ready to do on-the-job training to those willing and ready to work for lesser pay but lacking in the required skill.

Bottom line:
There are many skilled workers out there ready and willing to work but on the expected salary range. Employers can't always eat their cake and expect to have it.

2 Likes

Re: Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by acidtalk: 1:21pm On Jul 05, 2014
davide470: Hmmm..
•Are you trying to demean 9 years of experience because they really don't sell that in the market!

•It is totally unethical and against any corporate belief for you to pay an OND more than a B.Sc, no matter the outcome of the interview because once the latter finds out (he will), it leads to dead morale.

DOUBLE CRAP!!!

Who told you the 4 walls of school translates to a well deserved and responsible employee?

That's the sick mentality our unemployed and employed graduates in this country have today thinking their certificate automatically translates to getting food pay even if it takes the employer going to a loan from the bank to pay an undeserved salary.

70% OF NIGERIAN GRADUATES ARE UNEMPLOYABLE.

1 Like

Re: Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jul 05, 2014
acidtalk:

DOUBLE CRAP!!!

Who told you the 4 walls of school translates to a well deserved and responsible employee?

That's the sick mentality our unemployed and employed graduates in this country have today thinking their certificate automatically translates to getting food pay even if it takes the employer going to a loan from the bank to pay an undeserved salary.

Ma guy, You have been saying crap since morning. It is not absolute, but I believe that 9/10 times, a graduate would always be better than school cert in terms of mental aptitude. what are u even saying, can u compare your level of comprehension when you left secondary school and when you graduated from the university? Nigerian graduates might be lacking in modern skills because of the system, but they are no write off!

2 Likes

Re: Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by Xtaceeey: 5:12pm On Jul 05, 2014
acidtalk:

DOUBLE CRAP!!!

And u think u r employable too? As u came into ds world u bcame employable ryt? I wonder d kind of employer u r sef, BSc is a requirement 2oda tins, if d SSCe holder is so good, den let him/her further 2gain more knowledge, its a neva ending process... No one was born wt a skill, continous practice leads to mastering. Even Bsc isn't d end of education/certificates.

And take it easy, u r being 2harsh wt the world na,nobody cares abt ur what's hapenin 2u, wen ur online, best be happy!!!

2 Likes

Re: Skilled Workers Are Lacking Not Jobs by Charbless(m): 5:57pm On Jul 05, 2014
onegig: Maybe you do with the ones who came and train them on the job.

Sometimes the ones with very good skills prefer sleeping at home and freelancing than working for peanuts or in an unappreciative environment. Up your ante and you would see "wizards" willing to work for you.

Money is not everything but you need to understand it's a basic for any serious employee who has mouths to feed and needs to satisfy. Also remember everyone deserves good motivation and everyone deserves commiserate pay.
Tell him joor

(1) (Reply)

Vacancies In Benin City / Trainee/graduate Recruitment Consultant / Insurance Marketers Vacancies At Aiico Insurance Plc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.