Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,706 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here (10383 Views)

Farmers! Let's See You In The Farm. Post Your Pictures Here. / Anambra Farmers, Let's Meet Here / Cassava Farmers Let's Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by clementcro(m): 10:56am On Jul 03, 2014
Come here and let us tap into the wealth tomatoes offers, you can make millions on tomatoes every four months.

Experienced and interested farmers can comment

Thanks
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by clementcro(m): 4:03pm On Jul 03, 2014
10 TIPS FOR GROWING GREAT TOMATOES[color=#990000][/color]

Don’t Crowd Seedlings.

If you are starting tomatoes from seed, be sure to give the seedlings plenty of room to branch out. Crowded conditions inhibit their growth, so transplant them into their own individual 4 in. pot, shortly after they get their first true leaves.

2. Provide Lots of Light.
"Keep seedlings within inches of the light source."

Tomato seedlings need strong, direct light. Days are short during winter, so even placing them near a very sunny window may not provide them with sufficient natural light. Unless you are growing them in a greenhouse, your best option is to use some type of artificial plant lighting, for 14-18 hours every day.

To ensure the plants grow stocky, not spindly, keep the young plants only a couple of inches from florescent grow lights. You will need to raise the lights (or lower the plants) as the seedlings grow. When you're ready to plant them outside, choose the sunniest part of your vegetable garden.

3. Put a Fan on Your Seedlings.
"Let a fan simulate the breeze, for stockier seedlings."

It seems tomato plants need to move and sway in the breeze, to develop strong stems. That happens naturally outdoors, but if you are growing your seedlings inside, provide a breeze by turning a fan on them for 5-10 minutes, twice a day. Another option is to ruffle them by gently rubbing your hand back and forth across their tops for a few minutes, several times a day. It's a bit more effort, but their wonderful tomato scent will rub off on you, as a bonus.

MORE CONTENTS COMING
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by clementcro(m): 4:16pm On Jul 03, 2014
4. Preheat the Soil in Your Garden.
"Using Black Plastic to Warm the Soil."

Tomatoes love heat. Cover the planting area with black or red plastic a couple of weeks before you intend to plant. Those extra degrees of soil warmth will translate into earlier tomatoes.

A reader, David, wrote to say he thinks clear plastic works best. It "...lets the sun's energy through and then traps that heat energy." Plus it causes weed seeds to germinate and then fries them, so they won't come back

5. Bury Them.

Plant your tomato plants deeper than they come in the pot, all the way up to the top few leaves. When planted this way, tomatoes are able to develop roots all along their stems. And more roots will make for a stronger plant.

You can either dig a deep hole or simply dig a shallow trench and lay the plant sideways. It will quickly straighten itself up and grow toward the sun. Just be careful not to drive your stake or cage into the buried

6. Mulch Later.

Hold off on mulching until after the ground has had a chance to warm up. While mulching does conserve water and prevents the soil and soil born diseases from splashing up on the plants, if you put it down too early it will also shade and therefore cool the soil. Try using plastic mulch for heat lovers like tomatoes and peppers. (See Tip #4)
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by targus: 4:22pm On Jul 03, 2014
@Clementcro, I tried to plant tomato twice on my farm but the output was not encouraging even though pepper did very well, as soon as its transplanted, it will just wither and die. i don't know what im doing wrong maybe the variety of the seeds i'm planting or other things i didn't think about.
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by clementcro(m): 9:37pm On Jul 05, 2014
targus: @Clementcro, I tried to plant tomato twice on my farm but the output was not encouraging even though pepper did very well, as soon as its transplanted, it will just wither and die. i don't know what im doing wrong maybe the variety of the seeds i'm planting or other things i didn't think about.

Immediately after transplanting you need to start wattering the plant. For like 1 or 2 weeks daily. Did you do this? And where is your farm?
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by bighanz(m): 2:25pm On Jul 06, 2014
how can one access the seed for cultivation to start with...@clementcro....hope you can be of help here...
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by clementcro(m): 3:51pm On Jul 06, 2014
I used to order seed from the north, now I am thinking of contacting IITA if they have hybrid seeds
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by wahleymanutd: 11:08am On Jul 07, 2014
i too m interested nd i will b visiting iita on wednesday to get some gud seeds!!....wat varieties do u guys tink z d best to cultivate in dz area(southwest)
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by Pavore9: 12:06pm On Jul 07, 2014
This is where National Institute of horticulture lbadan should come in and do their statutory duty of informing Nigerians via television on best farming practices, l suggested this at their stand at the 2012 Lagos International trade fair!

1 Like

Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by Pavore9: 12:13pm On Jul 07, 2014
l bought a packet of spinach seeds for N100 and a packet of ewedu seeds for N50 from them and was advised on its cultivation by their experts and it yielded very good harvest though for personal consumption.
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by wahleymanutd: 11:07am On Jul 08, 2014
@pavore, did u buy frm iita or nihort?...and pls can u share aw u cultivated dem
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by Pavore9: 1:52pm On Jul 08, 2014
wahleymanutd: @pavore, did u buy frm iita or nihort?...and pls can u share aw u cultivated dem
l bought it from Nihort's stand at the 2012's Lagos international trade fair that held at tafawa balewa square.
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 08, 2014
clementcro: I used to order seed from the north, now I am thinking of contacting IITA if they have hybrid seeds
1 gram of hybrid tomato is 900 naira. check 0816 289 8821 he is a seed master at technism
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by clementcro(m): 4:01pm On Jul 08, 2014
happybrother:
1 gram of hybrid tomato is 900 naira. check 0816 289 8821 he is a seed master at technism

Happy brother where is your location? Do you have images of the hybrid tomatoes? Upload here let us see pls thanks
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by Juliana7: 8:19pm On Jul 08, 2014
Following
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by Nobody: 4:13am On Jul 09, 2014
[quote author=clementcro]

Happy brother where is your location? Do you have images of the hybrid tomatoes? Upload here let us see pls thanks[/quote
I find it difficult to post pics. meanwhile the seeds are from Technism seeds call their sales rep.I retail all kinds of seeds and grafted fruit tree seedlings; and I buy from Seed project company kano as well.
I base in Umuahia.
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by samoolino: 7:39pm On Jan 04, 2016
Please am kinda new here and would like to receive useful information about tomatoes farming because am thinking about it on a commercial scale
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by seanaleb: 3:03pm On Aug 18, 2016
can we grow tomato seed type like Crimson sprinter & cal ace in Nigeria?
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by Pavore9: 3:26pm On Aug 18, 2016
seanaleb:
can we grow tomato seed type like Crimson sprinter & cal ace in Nigeria?

Why not experiment with them.
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by Willie2015: 4:23pm On Aug 18, 2016
clementcro:
Come here and let us tap into the wealth tomatoes offers, you can make millions on tomatoes every four months.

Experienced and interested farmers can comment

Thanks

You should be conservative about the ''Millions in quote", it takes knowledge and hardwork to get to make million on tomatoes.
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by obapumpin: 7:49pm On Sep 02, 2016
my potted tomato plant just started budding. but it keeps dropping without fruit. pls advice.
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by obapumpin: 7:55pm On Sep 02, 2016
my potted tomato plant just started budding. but it keeps dropping without fruit. pls advice. plus it just keep growing tall and tall. infact , it around six feet tall already. and just one fruit.
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by Seun(m): 3:42pm On Sep 21, 2017
obapumpin:
my potted tomato plant just started budding. but it keeps dropping without fruit. pls advice. plus it just keep growing tall and tall. infact , it around six feet tall already. and just one fruit.
Indoor plants may require manual pollination since they have less exposure to wind and pollinating insects like bees.
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 22, 2017
can I start a tomato farming business as low as 80k?
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by Kamkamdd: 5:04pm On Sep 29, 2017
Pls looking for a tomatoes farmer in kano state.We used to do biz b4 i lost her contact.Her name is mrs Ademola(not too sure again).
Been trying to contact u,if u're here pls let me knw.
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by Nobody: 7:04pm On Sep 29, 2017
Seun:

Indoor plants may require manual pollination since they have less exposure to wind and pollinating insects like bees.

If they are self pollinating crops like tomato and capsicum, there is no problem. What is needed is to tap the plants so they can move. That is all and they get pollinated excellently. Its why tomato and capsicum are common in African nethouses.

For crops that aren't self pollinators like cucumbers, you need to get the greenhouse varieties. These ones do not need pollination. They are called parthenocarpic.

There are ways non parthenocarpic varieties can be turned to parthenocapic when there are less bees on the farm.

I only pray we grow in Africa. We are improving and we will get there soon.

Only if we can start the habit of having garden at our backyards like the days of "operation feed the nation". There are so many heirlooms tomato varieties that are so delicious, nutritious. Some are used to make tomato juice. Very delicious. Tomato is the second most popular crop all over the world after potato.
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by Nobody: 7:14pm On Sep 29, 2017
obapumpin:

Measure the temperature where you put it sir. If its over 32C, there is cause for alarm if the variety cannot tolerate high heat. Try to move it to below 30C.

Also, reduce Nitrogen. Give it more potassium. And supplement with Calcium and magnesium plus other micro nutrients. If you are an organic farmer, get your egg shell, epsom salt. Also, make manure tea.

If you are not an organic freaked person...look for potassium based fertilizer and add calcium plus magnesium.

Finally, what is the name of the variety you planted? Perhaps its one of those imported seeds from aliexpress, amazon, ebay etc that are for temperate weather. If that is the case, you have just wasted your time. Get seeds for tropical climate which can tolerate 30C and above.
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by Burchester: 8:57am On Apr 04, 2019
Kamkamdd:
Pls looking for a tomatoes farmer in kano state.We used to do biz b4 i lost her contact.Her name is mrs Ademola(not too sure again).
Been trying to contact u,if u're here pls let me knw.

Are you still looking for tomato farmer ??
Re: Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here by gabrielokeke555(m): 2:08pm On Apr 06, 2019
PROMO!!

Buy one sachet of Batool F1

Type: Determinate Tomato for Open Field/Net house/Greenhouse
Yield: 25-30 tonnes/acre
Maturity: 70-75 days
Fruit Set: Good in very hot conditions.
Fruit Weight: 180-200 grams
Colour: Deep Red
Resistance: Powdery Mildew, Verticilium Wilt, Fusarium, TYLCV, Nematodes.

For more info, call 07066935103 or 08132253414

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria And Morocco Sign Agreement To Establish Chemicals Platform In Nigeria / Bandits Chase Us Away And Harvest Our Crops- Rice Farmers / 18,000 Farmers Return To Farm In Borno After 4 Years Insurgency(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.