Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,112 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

"Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] (1613 Views)

Africa's Most Beautiful Women / AFRICA’S RICHEST MUSICIANS 2013!youssou N’dour Is Africa’s Most Expensive Artist / The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by juwoonn(m): 6:49pm On Jul 03, 2014
Read this and let's hear your views. Feeling
sleepy already but I've just forced myself to put this
together before sleeping...
Someone said today that white people came to Africa to deceive Africans and take away their possessions. To buttress his argument, he maintained that Yoruba's "Ifa" (oracle) is synonymous to the internet enabled PC that everyone of us is using today.
So I asked the person to help me connect a printer to Ifa, download just a book and then print it for me. I also asked the person the reasons the use of Ifa was restricted to some people and Yoruba kings didn't think of mandating the Ifa priests to start Ifa schools and start teaching children how to read Ifa. This somehow shows the level at which Africa advances compared to others.
Awolowo came with ideas that were alien to our culture, and made education free for the people in the region under his control. He liberalized education and every child became educated. He could have restricted education to the rich alone, but he did not. Then missionaries also came and also established their cheap -in fact, almost free schools. This really helped the western part of the country.
I am sorry to say, before Awolowo came with his ideas, our culture did not support liberal learning. Instead of the custodians of Ifa and its likes to liberalize their knowledge and teach many children, they kept everything to themselves and died with same. Whatever they knew was buried with them.
The kings could not think of helping these Ifa priests establish schools and spread their knowledge beyond the shores of Yoruba land. So it was only natural for the people to embrace whatever oyinbo men told them was right or wrong because the oyinbos were willing and able to spread their knowledge to achieve their goals -evil or good.

Let's free the oyinbo people, we ourselves didn't make good developmental efforts.
Olusegun Iselaiye.

Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by delishpot: 7:11pm On Jul 03, 2014
Problem with Africa is, we do not take actions with future plan in mind. We take action based on result NOW. We do not see tomorrow. So we do not write history, we do not keep records, we do not train the future we do not care how the future is born, we do not remember yesterday is important in our tomorrow, we do not see the importance of caring for a project afzer it has been completed for future to enjoy. We just want pleasure now. That is the black mans mentality, that is what is keeping him back.

1 Like

Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by freethinker01: 7:28pm On Jul 03, 2014
delishpot: Problem with Africa is, we do not take actions with future plan in mind. We take action based on result NOW. We do not see tomorrow. So we do not write history, we do not keep records, we do not train the future we do not care how the future is born, we do not remember yesterday is important in our tomorrow, we do not see the importance of caring for a project afzer it has been completed for future to enjoy. We just want pleasure now. That is the black mans mentality, that is what is keeping him back.
thumbs up to your post. And in addition, we'er selfish as in very selfish.
Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by delishpot: 7:51pm On Jul 03, 2014
freethinker01: thumbs up to your post. And in addition, we'er selfish as in very selfish.

Yes my brother and that makes us not care for the future. Make we see chop today, and if we see tomorrow we still think eh make we see chop today.
Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by delishpot: 8:55pm On Jul 03, 2014
cry
Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by juwoonn(m): 10:18pm On Jul 03, 2014
delishpot: Problem with Africa is, we do not take actions with future plan in mind. We take action based on result NOW. We do not see tomorrow. So we do not write history, we do not keep records, we do not train the future we do not care how the future is born, we do not remember yesterday is important in our tomorrow, we do not see the importance of caring for a project afzer it has been completed for future to enjoy. We just want pleasure now. That is the black mans mentality, that is what is keeping him back.
This is just the bitter truth.
Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by Nobody: 1:19am On Jul 04, 2014

Abeg make we hear something. The white man is the EXACT SAME. Very greedy and thoughtless for tomorrow. Look at the state of the planet. The environment is almost irreversibly damaged, meaning the next few decades could be catastrophic for all of us. Why? Because out of sheer monopolistic greed, the white man promoted the use of toxic fossil fuels for energy production, rather than use free and renewable energy resources. He built hideous nuclear weapons, more than enough to destroy the planet hundreds of times over. He invades and destroys countries, killing millions, to steal their resources, forgetting that he's creating generations of future terrorists hell-bent on getting even. He creates unsustainable economic systems featuring monstrous inequality, forgetting that anything built on sand will crumble like a pack of cards. I mean, if the Africans are foolish, the white man is 1000 times more foolish because his thoughtlessness is actually leading the entire globe to hell.

4 Likes

Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by kingston277(m): 1:28am On Jul 04, 2014
@OP

Op, why do people like you delight in spreading your ignorance and turning poor, unsuspecting Africans away from scholarly sources.

Where in these pictures do you see unclothed people?

And OP, What is this?

1 Like

Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by Nobody: 1:29am On Jul 04, 2014
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1523814_awooo_jpeg92313531c0035de5861c3705fe9501bb

What is this ignoramus talking about? 1952. Was that not a full 60 years after British rule started in Nigeria? If he's going to blame anyone for such pictures, it should be the British govt who were in charge of Nigeria, ruled it, and looted it dry, from 1897 to 1960, exporting our resources and putting virtually nothing back. And then this idio.t blames us? His problem is obviously inferiority complex, allied to gross historical illiteracy. Such pictures became less the norm after independence in 1960, and things have improved a lot for our people since then.

2 Likes

Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by Nobody: 1:48am On Jul 04, 2014
How do we even know that the traditional African elite's refusal to share their knowledge or popularize writing, record keeping etc, wasn't borne out of thousands of years of cold hard experience in which these seeming ''advances'' have actually led to the disastrous decimation and decline of earlier civilizations? African civilization is thousands of years old, stretching into prehistory. Africa gave the world writing. The sciences.There are ruins of stone cities like Kerma in modern day Sudan, built with stunning geometry, which have been dated at over 10,000 years old! By comparison, the first voice from Europe was Homer of Greece, in 800 BC, less than 3,000 years ago. How do we know the African's decision to simplify life isn't actually an advancement based on human experience, and that he is right to deny high knowledge to the majority, seeing that they would inevitably make a mess of it? I mean, look at the world today. Knowledge has spread, and we're on the brink of annihilation from environmental, economic, and military catastrophes. Everyone can read and write. But the world is a lot less safe, secure and stable than it was in the time of our fathers. The whites - relative newcomers to civilization - wouldn't know the ancient histories of the earth... It's ancient cataclysms. Maybe our ancestors WERE RIGHT afterall. Maybe keeping records is actually a bad thing. As it reminds people of ancient wrongs... locking them into a cycle or negative recollection and action.... Maybe writing is actually an attractive but double-edged sword...leading to the spread of knowledge capable of destroying the planet.....Maybe the ancestors were right that simplicity was the antidote for another round of planetary/continental destruction.
Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by delishpot: 7:27am On Jul 04, 2014
ROSSIKE:

Abeg make we hear something. The white man is the EXACT SAME. Very greedy and thoughtless for tomorrow. Look at the state of the planet. The environment is almost irreversibly damaged, meaning the next few decades could be catastrophic for all of us. Why? Because out of sheer monopolistic greed, the white man promoted the use of toxic fossil fuels for energy production, rather than use free and renewable energy resources. He built hideous nuclear weapons, more than enough to destroy the planet hundreds of times over. He invades and destroys countries, killing millions, to steal their resources, forgetting that he's creating generations of future terrorists hell-bent on getting even. He creates unsustainable economic systems featuring monstrous inequality, forgetting that anything built on sand will crumble like a pack of cards. I mean, if the Africans are foolish, the white man is 1000 times more foolish because his thoughtlessness is actually leading the entire globe to hell.

OK.
Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by kingston277(m): 8:02pm On Jul 04, 2014
ROSSIKE: How do we even know that the traditional African elite's refusal to share their knowledge or popularize writing, record keeping etc, wasn't borne out of thousands of years of cold hard experience in which these seeming ''advances'' have actually led to the disastrous decimation and decline of earlier civilizations? African civilization is thousands of years old, stretching into prehistory. Africa gave the world writing. The sciences.There are ruins of stone cities like Kerma in modern day Sudan, built with stunning geometry, which have been dated at over 10,000 years old! By comparison, the first voice from Europe was Homer of Greece, in 800 BC, less than 3,000 years ago. How do we know the African's decision to simplify life isn't actually an advancement based on human experience, and that he is right to deny high knowledge to the majority, seeing that they would inevitably make a mess of it? I mean, look at the world today. Knowledge has spread, and we're on the brink of annihilation from environmental, economic, and military catastrophes. Everyone can read and write. But the world is a lot less safe, secure and stable than it was in the time of our fathers. The whites - relative newcomers to civilization - wouldn't know the ancient histories of the earth... It's ancient cataclysms. Maybe our ancestors WERE RIGHT afterall. Maybe keeping records is actually a bad thing. As it reminds people of ancient wrongs... locking them into a cycle or negative recollection and action.... Maybe writing is actually an attractive but double-edged sword...leading to the spread of knowledge capable of destroying the planet.....Maybe the ancestors were right that simplicity was the antidote for another round of planetary/continental destruction.

Weren't schools wide spread in the pre-colonial times? One article I read said nsibidi was taught to igbo children in schools in that era.
And didn't the "African script" thread prove that they did keep written records all over the continent?
Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by juwoonn(m): 8:34pm On Jul 04, 2014
ROSSIKE: How do we even know that the traditional African elite's refusal to share their knowledge or popularize writing, record keeping etc, wasn't borne out of thousands of years of cold hard experience in which these seeming ''advances'' have actually led to the disastrous decimation and decline of earlier civilizations? African civilization is thousands of years old, stretching into prehistory. Africa gave the world writing. The sciences.There are ruins of stone cities like Kerma in modern day Sudan, built with stunning geometry, which have been dated at over 10,000 years old! By comparison, the first voice from Europe was Homer of Greece, in 800 BC, less than 3,000 years ago. How do we know the African's decision to simplify life isn't actually an advancement based on human experience, and that he is right to deny high knowledge to the majority, seeing that they would inevitably make a mess of it? I mean, look at the world today. Knowledge has spread, and we're on the brink of annihilation from environmental, economic, and military catastrophes. Everyone can read and write. But the world is a lot less safe, secure and stable than it was in the time of our fathers. The whites - relative newcomers to civilization - wouldn't know the ancient histories of the earth... It's ancient cataclysms. Maybe our ancestors WERE RIGHT afterall. Maybe keeping records is actually a bad thing. As it reminds people of ancient wrongs... locking them into a cycle or negative recollection and action.... Maybe writing is actually an attractive but double-edged sword...leading to the spread of knowledge capable of destroying the planet.....Maybe the ancestors were right that simplicity was the antidote for another round of planetary/continental destruction.

Interesting.
Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by juwoonn(m): 8:55pm On Jul 04, 2014
kingston277:
Weren't schools wide spread in the pre-colonial times? One article I read said nsibidi was taught to igbo children in schools in that era.
And didn't the "African script" thread prove that they did keep written records all over the continent? It's colonial lies dictating that they didn't.
Ok... I can see your point.

kingston277: @OP

Op, why do people like you delight in spreading your ignorance and turning poor, unsuspecting Africans away from scholarly sources.

Where in these pictures do you see unclothed people?

And OP, What is this?
Most of these are painting work. Very easy to fake.

Now I know your problem. You have a psychiatric problem and you think you know more than you actually know bcs that your big head is deceiving you.

If you don't know what to say....

Just keep quiet or keep off.
Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by juwoonn(m): 9:02pm On Jul 04, 2014
ROSSIKE: www.nairaland.com/attachments/1523814_awooo_jpeg92313531c0035de5861c3705fe9501bb

What is this ignoramus talking about? 1952. Was that not a full 60 years after British rule started in Nigeria? If he's going to blame anyone for such pictures, it should be the British govt who were in charge of Nigeria, ruled it, and looted it dry, from 1897 to 1960, exporting our resources and putting virtually nothing back. And then this idio.t blames us? His problem is obviously inferiority complex, allied to gross historical illiteracy. Such pictures became less the norm after independence in 1960, and things have improved a lot for our people since then.
This is harsh....
and if not for the respect I have for you based on your past contributions on NL, I for.... Anyway make I just free you.

So you want to tell me you didn't notice that I indicated the original contents owner on my post? And I specified that I brought this out to see people's view. Are u this swift to insults.
Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by kingston277(m): 9:12pm On Jul 04, 2014
ROSSIKE:

I second this.

I will also add this quote to support the above.
RandomAfricanAm: That sh*t is sad man. sad
The worse part is that they feel like they are being "realistic" "responsible" "progressive" or my personal favorite "civilized"(even though they completely miss the keyword *civil*) Automation & mechanization does not equal civilization; Automized & mechanized barbarians are still practicing barbarism. Simply put mechanized barbarism is still barbarism.

Neutral Example: When the tent dwelling, spear chucking, horse riding Mongolians sacked and overran china they were barbarians being barbarous. When the mansion/castle dwelling, rifle/cannon shooting, galleon/wagon riding Europeans sacked and overran china they were also barbarians being barbarous.

Self haters conveniently skip that and other episodes in world history nor do they dare say they the fact that china was overrun by a pack of tent dwellers on horse back means that they should stop city planning, administrative practices, civil engineering projects, etc. and accept the superior tent dwelling "civilization" that was obviously justified by chinas round defeat and occupation by Mongolians. Nor do they say that the Japanese should give up their Shinto tree, rock, etc spirits and become "civilized"(or in self hater language "industrialized", "mechanized", & "automized" ...which is what they really mean when they say "civilized"wink

As concerns my ideas surrounding African spirituality I suggest you checkout my reply on the second page of...
https://www.nairaland.com/1554976/whats-literal-translation-north-south/1

As I like to say...
1. Freedom is a necessity but not enough. Choices are predicated on what you know at the time of calculating a decision. If I control what you know I control the range of your possible choices.
2. Knowledge is a necessity but not enough. Knowledge derives it's usefulness from being processed when calculating a decision. The smaller the range of process you are capable of carrying out the less you can do with what you know.
3. Processing(intelligence) is a necessity but not enough. There are a series of Processes done in executing a plan. If you have no plan your interests are subject to those who do have a plan. Be that in using your ability to process knowledge to further their plans(not yours) or simply by your interests being displaced in the execution of their plans.
4. Plans are a necessity but not enough. Plans are simply a means to accomplishing a goal. If you have no goals in life your interests are subject to those who do have a goal. Be that in using your ability to plan and/or process knowledge to further their goals(not yours) or simply by your interests being displaced in the execution of their goals.
5. There are more but I can successfully reply without stating the rest

While I commend the Self haters for wanting better for themselves and Africa as a whole.

I question...
1.The range of knowledge they have at there disposal when coming to their stated positions
2.The range of processes they were able to employ on that knowledge.(Which led to their inability to make historically consistent positions)
3.The extent to which their self hate surrounding colonization impedes absorption, development, & execution of new knowledge and processes.
Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by kingston277(m): 10:12pm On Jul 04, 2014
juwoonn:
Ok... I can see your point.
That wasn't really directed at you.

Most of these are painting work. Very easy to fake.
Only two of those are paintings and only one is a modern rendition. The other three are from first hand experiences so I have no clue are coming from.

Now I know your problem. You have a psychiatric problem and you think you know more than you actually know bcs that your big head is deceiving you.

If you don't know what to say....

Just keep quiet or keep off.
You are accusing me of psychiatric problems but Rossike and I debunked your argument and you still didn't answer my question?
What is this Op.
kingston277:
Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jul 04, 2014
juwoonn:
This is harsh....
and if not for the respect I have for you based on your past contributions on NL, I for.... Anyway make I just free you.

So you want to tell me you didn't notice that I indicated the original contents owner on my post? And I specified that I brought this out to see people's view. Are u this swift to insults.

I wasn't referring to you, but the facebook author himself... cool
Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jul 04, 2014
kingston277:
And didn't the "African script" thread prove that they did keep written records all over the continent?

Of course knowledge was not totally denied the people. But records, such as were kept, only went so far, and rarely addressed the great antiquity of the continent's peoples in terms of their activities and experiences, and tended to be more localized references to comparatively recent occurrences pertaining to a particular ethnic group or clan. Rarely were they attempts to create expanded historical references or epics that provided the 'full picture' if you like.

1 Like

Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by Nobody: 2:00am On Jul 05, 2014
ROSSIKE:

Of course knowledge was not totally denied the people. But records, such as were kept, only went so far, and rarely addressed the great antiquity of the continent's peoples in terms of their activities and experiences, and tended to be more localized references to comparatively recent occurrences pertaining to a particular ethnic group or clan. Rarely were they attempts to create expanded historical references or epics that provided the 'full picture' if you like.
shut up you dumb fool
Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by Nobody: 2:01am On Jul 05, 2014
ROSSIKE:
shut up you stvpid slowpoke
Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by Nobody: 2:57am On Jul 05, 2014
shut up you stvpid slowpoke

I see they released you early from the asylum today.

1 Like

Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by juwoonn(m): 11:02am On Jul 06, 2014
kingston277:

you still didn't answer my question?
What is this Op.

Written records, you will say.
I know they look like representations.

You can just tell me what they are, if I'm wrong.
Re: "Africa - Most Of It - Wasn't Great [photo] by kingston277(m): 5:00pm On Jul 07, 2014
juwoonn:
Written records, you will say.
I know they look like representations.

You can just tell me what they are, if I'm wrong.
Quote from a thread:
Nsibidi was used in judgement cases known as 'Ikpe' in some Cross River communities. Macgregor was able to retrieve and translate an nsibidi record from Enyong of an ikpe judgement.

The record is of an Ikpe or judgement case. (a) The court was held under a tree as is the custom, (b) the parties in the case, (c) the chief who judged it, (d) his staff (these are enclosed in a circle), (e) is a man whispering into the ear of another just outside the circle of those concerned, (f) denotes all the members of the party who won the case. Two of them (g) are embracing, (h) is a man who holds a cloth between his finger and thumbs as a sign of contempt. He does not care for the words spoken. The lines round and twisting mean that the case was a difficult one which the people of the town could not judge for themselves. So they sent to the surrounding towns to call the wise men from them and the case was tried bv then (j) and decided; (k) denotes that the case was one of adultery or No. 20.[14]
https://www.nairaland.com/973985/nsibiri-pre-colonial-writing-south-eastern

Op, why are you preaching about igbo culture let alone the whole of African history like you know your stuff when you clearly don't. Anybody history with even a chicken-scratch bit of interest in African culture knows what nisbidi is, why don't you? And why are you passing yourself off as more knowledgeable than historians?

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Learn How To Speak Yoruba / Tourist Attraction Places In Dubai / My Experience With An Mbaise Roommate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.