Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,757 members, 7,820,629 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:33 PM

5 Ways To Be A Better Person - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 5 Ways To Be A Better Person (603 Views)

15 Ways To Be A Better Person In 2016 / The Dos And Don’ts For A Better 2016 / Some Tips That Might Make You a Better person In The Year 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Ways To Be A Better Person by ademega(m): 6:55pm On Jul 03, 2014
I have learnt the hard way that each level of life has a rule for survival and just like all rules, when they are flouted, grave consequences follow. I came out with few rules which I learnt through people and some I got to discover by observation.
People’s Disposition towards you to a large extent is determined by your disposition towards them.
Don’t expect a smile from people when all you do is shrink your facial muscle; don’t expect greetings from people when you don’t as much as say “hi”, don’t think people will come to your birthday, wedding or any of your ceremony when you never go for anybody’s. This rule is so easy; whatever you expect from your neighbour, give it to them.
Seek to learn not to be noticed.
Even the bible says a fool is thought wise when they keep quiet. It pays to play the dummy and listen to learn instead of blabbing and spilling your ignorance. One lie most people believe is that those who make the loudest noise are hardly forgotten. Big lie. It’s rather the quiet who is hardly forgotten and those who get the most knowledge from what is taught. If possible, keep your knowledge about anything to yourself and listen to what others have to say so as to learn. Playing the fool may not make you the instant hero but it would have given you more knowledge. If you wanna speak, wait until it’s obvious nobody has the answer, then dish it out. You’ll be made a hero for life.
Dress the way you wish to be addressed.
This rule perhaps suffers from semantic satiation as its constant use makes it look irrelevant. Good dressing attracts respect and many times favour. Try this out. Wear your “palm” slippers or sandals out on a particular day and the next day dress in an official way with a shoe. The difference in reception by anyone who meets you on those days will definitely be different. In addition to your dressing, get a good Cologne (perfume, body spray deodorant etc). It’s proven that people get more attracted to those who smell fine. You know what I mean.
First Impressions stick longer.
Reputations people make of you are 99% of the time during your first contact with them. Yes, it’s good to be yourself but during your first contact, make a conscious effort to behave your best. Most of the friends I have today remember every detail of how we first met and keep reminding me of it 5 years after it happened. You may never get a second chance to right your wrong. First impressions, especially the negative ones, stick longer and travel farthest. Don’t spend the next 40 years trying to repair a damaged reputation. Get it right from day 1.
Know a little of everything and a lot about one thing.
It’s alright to be tagged a nerd, dweeb or whatever you call it but it’s also very good to diversify. Know a little about sports (soccer, basketball, tennis); politics; movies and many others. This will help build your conversational skills and vocabulary. You’ll rarely be choked or silenced during conversations. Make it a point of contact to read, read, read. Read novels, newspapers and any informative stuff. Any information gotten is stored and retrieved by the brain when it’s really needed. Also, try to be a master of one thing which people can associate you with so as to be relevant.
When you get to practice all these, great confidence in yourself is built and your social life gets better. I put down 9 psychological facts and quotes below that I gathered which may be of great help. I’ve tried and tested them and they worked 80% of the time. The authors are anonymous. Enjoy!!
*.Be watchful. A clear sign of someone’s character is how they treat people they don’t need.
*.If two people are having a dispute, the angrier one is usually wrong. This is because anger clouds judgement.
*.Listen carefully to how someone speaks about other people to you, this is how they will speak about you to other people.
*.Reading furnishes the mind only with materials of knowledge; it is thinking that makes what we read ours.
*.The most powerful way to win an argument is by asking questions. It can make people see the flaws in their logic

*.If you are always worried about what others think of you, you will never be happy.
*.People with the least amount of intelligence do the most amount of talking.
*.Character is how you treat those who can do absolutely nothing for you.
*.It is very easy to know people who don’t have sense. Just make a ‘controversial’ statement and see their reaction .
Source: mmm mm m..
Re: 5 Ways To Be A Better Person by nwimo22(m): 7:20am On Jul 04, 2014
Hm!! One of de best updates dat i hav read here so far.. Dis is juss simply de rule of lyf and succex

(1) (Reply)

419 - The Scamming Nigerian Pastor Indie Scam (video) / Want To Keep Fit? Try This Fun DOROBUCCI Dance Workout / Prime Minister Vs. President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.