Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,408 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Nigeria Man Who Said Their Is No God ‘freed From Kano Psychiatric Hospital’ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigeria Man Who Said Their Is No God ‘freed From Kano Psychiatric Hospital’ (1016 Views)

I Wish There Was No GOD. / Zimbabwe Blocks Chris Okafor, Nigerian Prophet Who Said Mugabe Would Die / Atheism: The “No-God” Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Man Who Said Their Is No God ‘freed From Kano Psychiatric Hospital’ by damilare442: 4:17pm On Jul 04, 2014
A Nigerian man detained in a hospital psychiatric ward because he did not believe in God (Read the story here) has been freed, a humanist charity has said.

Mubarak Bala was released because of a doctors’ strike which has seen many patients discharged, the International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU) said.

He was held against his will for 18 days after his Muslim family committed him to the hospital in Kano, it said.

Mubarak Bala was able to contact activists from inside hospital using a phone until it was confiscated

Northern Nigeria is mainly Muslim and adopted Islamic law in 2000.

The IHEU said Mr Bala, a chemical engineering graduate, was freed on Tuesday but news of his release was not made public until he was in a secure location.

“There are still deep concerns for Mubarak’s safety in a part of the country where accusations of ‘apostasy’ can be deadly,” the charity said in a statement.

After the 29-year-old was admitted to a psychiatric ward at the Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, he sought help from the hospital via email and social media, until his phone was confiscated, according to IHEU.

Mr Bala, who was medicated during his stay, said he had no desire to take further legal action and thanked those who had campaigned for his release, the statement said.

“To those who have made threats against me, I urge you to reason and learn to tolerate opinions other than yours,” he is quoted as saying by the charity.

When Mr Bala was first detained IHEU said his family had asked a doctor if he was mentally ill because he had told relatives that he was an atheist.

Despite being told that he was not unwell, Mr Bala’s family then went to a second doctor, who declared that his atheism was a side-effect of suffering a personality change, the group said.

source:http://kaybaba.com/nigeria-atheist-bala-freed-from-kano-psychiatric-hospital/

Re: Nigeria Man Who Said Their Is No God ‘freed From Kano Psychiatric Hospital’ by TippyTop(m): 1:34am On Jul 05, 2014
@op
Is Kano in Nigeria? What was the "Nigerian man" doing in Kano?
Re: Nigeria Man Who Said Their Is No God ‘freed From Kano Psychiatric Hospital’ by damilare442: 5:27pm On Jul 05, 2014
Tippy Top: @op
Is Kano in Nigeria? What was the "Nigerian man" doing in Kano?

Are you a Nigerian? or I should rather ask that do you know anything abt Nigeria?

(1) (Reply)

Help!! These 'men Of God' Are Killing My Faith In God! / Archbishop Of Canterbury Admits Doubt About Existence Of God / Who Do You Agree With? TB Joshua Or Oyakhilome On Abortion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.