Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Arguments From Personal Incredulity - God And The Nature Of Reality - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Arguments From Personal Incredulity - God And The Nature Of Reality (1508 Views)

Three Arguments For God's Existence / The Philosophy Of Reality / A Library Of The Best 40 Atheist Arguments Against God/religion (NOW WITH PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arguments From Personal Incredulity - God And The Nature Of Reality by huxley(m): 9:27am On Oct 07, 2008
Can we (humans) know and comprehend the nature of reality? I submit that we can.

Can we know and understand all it is possible to know? Absolutely NOT.

But the fact that we do not currently understand the workings of a given natural phenomenon does not mean that it shall for ever remain unknown to us. Many years ago, it was not know for certain whether atoms exist (in spite of speculation by the Epicurians). The notions of DNA, germs, etc, were unknown.

Now, it is not uncommon for some people to express opinion of the form;

I simply cannot see how such-and such works

This is generally called "Argument from Personal Incredulity"

For example, "I simply cannot see how humans evolved from other lifeforms", or "I simply cannot see how the universe could be expanding".

Whilst the phenomenon may be difficult to comprehend and sometimes counter-intuitive, someone's inability to "see" it does not preclude the occurrence of the event.
Re: Arguments From Personal Incredulity - God And The Nature Of Reality by KunleOshob(m): 4:03pm On Oct 29, 2008
huxley:

Whilst the phenomenon may be difficult to comprehend and sometimes counter-intuitive, someone's inability to "see" it does not preclude the occurrence of the event.
Whilst GOD may be difficult to comprehend and sometimes counter-intuitive, someone's inability to see GOD does not preclude his existence
Re: Arguments From Personal Incredulity - God And The Nature Of Reality by Bastage: 11:53pm On Oct 29, 2008
Can we (humans) know and comprehend the nature of reality? I submit that we can.

I got to pull you up on that one, Huxley. There's absolutely no way you can comprehend the nature of reality. You might be able to comprehend the nature of your perceived reality, but that's a massively different thing.

And even if you could perceive reality, what if there are infinite realities? In that scenario, you are never going to recognise the end result simply because there isn't one!!!
Re: Arguments From Personal Incredulity - God And The Nature Of Reality by DavidDylan(m): 11:57pm On Oct 29, 2008
huxley:

For example, "I simply cannot see how humans evolved from other lifeforms", or "I simply cannot see how the universe could be expanding".

One more example, "I simply cannot see how God can exist".
Re: Arguments From Personal Incredulity - God And The Nature Of Reality by bawomolo(m): 5:05am On Oct 30, 2008
KunleOshob:

Whilst GOD may be difficult to comprehend and sometimes counter-intuitive, someone's inability to see GOD does not preclude his existence

true, the question is can GOD be felt and why only one GOD
Re: Arguments From Personal Incredulity - God And The Nature Of Reality by KunleOshob(m): 11:17am On Oct 30, 2008
bawomolo:

true, the question is can GOD be felt and why only one GOD
Yes GOD can be felt! the reality of GOD is around us. All the marvels of Nature around us is enough to know there is a creator. On the question of one GOD, on the contrary the bible recognizes the existence of smaller gods the only difference is that they are not worthy of worship.
Re: Arguments From Personal Incredulity - God And The Nature Of Reality by obinna5000(m): 11:34am On Oct 30, 2008
@KunleOshob
So true.
Re: Arguments From Personal Incredulity - God And The Nature Of Reality by Bastage: 11:42am On Oct 30, 2008
On the question of one GOD, on the contrary the bible recognizes the existence of smaller gods the only difference is that they are not worthy of worship.

Then by your statement there one can only assume that Christianity is a polytheistic religion and not the monotheistic one it's supporters claim it to be.
Re: Arguments From Personal Incredulity - God And The Nature Of Reality by KunleOshob(m): 11:56am On Oct 30, 2008
Bastage:

Then by your statement there one can only assume that Christianity is a polytheistic religion and not the monotheistic one it's supporters claim it to be.
That depends on what your concept of god is even human beings were refered to as gods in the bible. there are several gods, but there is only one true GOD. And this is the creator the Alpha and the Omega.
Re: Arguments From Personal Incredulity - God And The Nature Of Reality by Bastage: 12:55pm On Oct 30, 2008
I'm well aware of the references to multiple gods in the Bible.

But Christian fundamentalists always tend to overlook them and say there is only one god - not one true god.

And whilst I personally agree with you that it's all down to your own individual view, that is not the way that Christianity views it. You're not allowed to decide that view for yourself. You're told that it is so and that's the way it's got to be!!!
Re: Arguments From Personal Incredulity - God And The Nature Of Reality by KunleOshob(m): 1:23pm On Oct 30, 2008
@bastage
Well all the confusion is as a result of church doctrines which various churches use to confuse their congregation. The average church goer can not distinguish between the word of God and the words of a pastor. I as a christian would rather rely on the bible to guide me rather than any pastor.
Re: Arguments From Personal Incredulity - God And The Nature Of Reality by bawomolo(m): 2:29pm On Oct 30, 2008
KunleOshob:

That depends on what your concept of god is even human beings were refered to as gods in the bible. there are several gods, but there is only one true GOD. And this is the creator the Alpha and the Omega.

why do we only have to worship one god? just wondering
Re: Arguments From Personal Incredulity - God And The Nature Of Reality by Bastage: 3:04pm On Oct 30, 2008
I think originally it started out as a control thing. The Jews were one of the first monotheistic religions (though not nearly as early as the Bible made out). By sticking to the one god, it enabled them to stick together better as a group. If you've got lots of gods, you've then got lots of opportunities for different sects to arise and vie for power over each other.
So one god meant that everything was supposed to be centralised and unified.

But as viewed in the Books of the Prophets in the Bible, that didn't always work out as they planned.
Re: Arguments From Personal Incredulity - God And The Nature Of Reality by KunleOshob(m): 3:21pm On Oct 30, 2008
bawomolo:

why do we only have to worship one god? just wondering
Cos that is what God instructed. On the contrary why should we worship more than one God

(1) (Reply)

Ban On Telecast Of Miracles/testimonies On Tv: Hypocrisy Of Nbc & Pfn / Unclothedness In Church During Wedding Ceremony. / Happy 60th Birthday To Papa David Oyedepo!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.