Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,386 members, 7,819,394 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

Today in History - US Warship Downed Iran Airliner, Killed 290 - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Today in History - US Warship Downed Iran Airliner, Killed 290 (1003 Views)

The Dramatic Moment Russian Fighter Jets 'buzzed' A US Navy Warship / This Is The Most Expensive Warship Ever Built / Turkish Army: We Didn't Know The Downed Plane Was Russian. PICTURE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today in History - US Warship Downed Iran Airliner, Killed 290 by GogetterMD(m): 7:49pm On Jul 04, 2014
In 1988 today, 290 people were killed in a US missile cruiser’s attack on an Iranian passenger plane.

Carrying 274 passengers and 16 crew members, the Airbus A-300 (IR655) had just taken off from the southern Iranian coastal city of Bandar Abbas and was climbing inside an internationally recognized route to Dubai when it was targeted by two Standard missiles fired from USS Vincennes on July 3, 1988.

Following the incident, US officials claimed their warship mistook the jetliner for an attacking Iranian F-14 fighter plane. The allegation was made as highly sophisticated radar systems and electronic battle gear had been mounted on the warship.

The Iranian airliner was equipped with an identification transponder to give off a specific response signal when interrogated by a radar signal from a potential adversary.

Due to delay in takeoff, the Vincennes started issuing warnings on the Military Air Distress frequency, having mistaken the Iranian civilian airplane for a military aircraft.

Vincennes’ attempts to contact Flight 655 failed because they had been sent on wrong frequencies.

Although no data recorder reported any identification, friend or foe (IFF) signal, the staff aboard the Vincennes continued misreporting the signal.

The decision to shoot down the Iranian plane was reportedly taken deliberately on the basis of personal advice passed from junior officers, regardless of a stream of contrary evidence from the electronics aboard.

The US government has so far refused to admit to its crime in the tragic incident and instead keeps falsely blaming Iran for the incident.

Washington later paid some 95 million dollars in compensation for the Iranian victims and the aircraft.

The money, however, failed to placate the anti-US sentiments in Iran, where people expected the USS Vincennes’ captain, William Rogers, to be held responsible for his criminal act.

Instead, Rogers was awarded the prestigious medal of Legion of Merit for his so-called outstanding service.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/07/03/369720/us-downed-iran-jetliner-killed-290-today-1988/

Re: Today in History - US Warship Downed Iran Airliner, Killed 290 by GogetterMD(m): 11:09am On Jul 03, 2023
Today in history
Re: Today in History - US Warship Downed Iran Airliner, Killed 290 by victory36(m): 5:12pm On Jul 03, 2023
World police more like harbinger of doom

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today in History - US Warship Downed Iran Airliner, Killed 290 by Drsmartphilips: 9:55pm On Jul 03, 2023
evil people will shun this but If reverse was the case they will flood here abusing Muslims

2 Likes

Re: Today in History - US Warship Downed Iran Airliner, Killed 290 by DaChosenOne: 3:06am On Jul 04, 2023
Drsmartphilips:
evil people will shun this but If reverse was the case they will flood here abusing Muslims

Iran is a big time terrorist state. No loss here. America is not cowardly like France, they will give you muslims hell. Muslims know not to mess with following states: China, Israel, Burma, Slovakia, Angola, CAR, Ghana, Ethiopia etc. Respect to them.
Re: Today in History - US Warship Downed Iran Airliner, Killed 290 by Drsmartphilips: 3:48am On Jul 04, 2023
DaChosenOne:

Iran is a big time terrorist state. No loss here. America is not cowardly France, they will give you muslims hell. Muslims know not to mess with following states: China, Israel, Burma, Slovakia, Angola, CAR, Ghana, Ethiopia etc. Respect to them.
I knew you will come barking terrorist pretender

1 Like

Re: Today in History - US Warship Downed Iran Airliner, Killed 290 by DaChosenOne: 3:52am On Jul 04, 2023
Drsmartphilips:
I knew you will come barking terrorist pretender

I respect the West when comes to the way they check all these muslim terrorist states. I do not want to live under Sharia law and experience suicide bombings. America no dey carry last.
Re: Today in History - US Warship Downed Iran Airliner, Killed 290 by Drsmartphilips: 3:59am On Jul 04, 2023
DaChosenOne:

I respect the West when comes to the way they check all these muslim terrorist states. I do not want to live under Sharia law and experience suicide bombings. America no dey carry last.
by bombing a civilian aircraft they have made your day,I know your type
Re: Today in History - US Warship Downed Iran Airliner, Killed 290 by DaChosenOne: 4:10am On Jul 04, 2023
Drsmartphilips:
by bombing a civilian aircraft they have made your day,I know your type

I won't cry for muslims. Iranian civilians celebrate terrorist attacks on non-muslims. I don't take shyt from muslims. Lord, if I ran Nigeria. Boko Haram and other aboki nonsense would be no more. Fulanis would be extinct.
Re: Today in History - US Warship Downed Iran Airliner, Killed 290 by Drsmartphilips: 4:12am On Jul 04, 2023
DaChosenOne:

I won't cry for muslims. Iranian civilians celebrate terrorist attacks on non-muslims. I don't take shyt from muslims. Lord, if I ran Nigeria. Boko Haram and other aboki nonsense would be no more. Fulanis would be extinct.
I am not from the north so stop hyperventilating
Re: Today in History - US Warship Downed Iran Airliner, Killed 290 by cl0r0x: 4:46am On Jul 05, 2023
Iran was fond of using passenger planes for military operations just as they use cargo ships these days for military operation. The US couldn't risk that plane coming closer to them and the plane's signature was detected as an F14 tomcat.
Re: Today in History - US Warship Downed Iran Airliner, Killed 290 by Rolings: 6:44am On Jul 05, 2023
DaChosenOne:

Iran is a big time terrorist state. No loss here. America is not cowardly like France, they will give you muslims hell. Muslims know not to mess with following states: [b]China, Israel, Burma, Slovakia, Angola, CAR, Ghana, Ethiopia [/b]etc. Respect to them.

Simply because those countries DONT meddle in internal affairs of the Muslim world....the respect should be about that.
America because of greed can't take it's eyes off Arab oil....didn't Bush tell us Saddam had weapons of mass destruction?...which they couldn't find in 20 pretend years while stealing the country's gold's and crude oil.
Re: Today in History - US Warship Downed Iran Airliner, Killed 290 by Rolings: 6:51am On Jul 05, 2023
DaChosenOne:

Mouth.

If it were that easy......USA won't be in Afghanistan for 20 years and still left defeated with their tails between their legs

1 Like

Re: Today in History - US Warship Downed Iran Airliner, Killed 290 by mysticwarrior(m): 7:36am On Jul 05, 2023
DaChosenOne:

Iran is a big time terrorist state. No loss here. America is not cowardly like France, they will give you muslims hell. Muslims know not to mess with following states: China, Israel, Burma, Slovakia, Angola, CAR, Ghana, Ethiopia etc. Respect to them.
And can I please ask how and why?

(1) (Reply)

The UK Prime Minister Buys A Tokunbo Car For His Dearly Beloved Wife / Old Photo Of Donald Trump Will Give You Hope / Why West Hate Iran Today:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.