Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors (23873 Views)

FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors / Vice-chancellors Of Nigeria Universities (photos) / Federal Universities Should Re-open - Pro-chancellors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by jaryeh(m): 9:28am On Jul 07, 2014
proffemi:

At the height of the SLS saga, I was one of those crying that it should not be swept under the rug IF $20 billion was missing. Do you know for a FACT that $20 billion was missing? I mean, I would be happy to believe that someone loaned N1B from my dad, and so, owes me that amount. But is it TRUE? We do first have to get to that point first.

Then, what makes you assume that if we had that money, it would all be dumped on education fiam?

Look, lets even forget all of that. What is so wrong in a man paying (A FRACTION!) for what he wants? Can you tell me what is wrong with that?
Not bad o. And that's what we've been doing, but they still want us to pay more, sooner or later, we pay everything. And not that they will use the part they withdraw in anything public service - they load their accounts the more. This we all know. Same thing happened to the fuel subsidy.

It's high time we desist from theories that has never worked and would never work in Nigeria.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 9:39am On Jul 07, 2014
zz
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by proffemi: 9:45am On Jul 07, 2014
jaryeh: Not bad o. And that's what we've been doing, but they still want us to pay more, sooner or later, we pay everything. And not that they will use the part they withdraw in anything public service - they load their accounts the more. This we all know. Same thing happened to the fuel subsidy.

There is a simpler explanation: perhaps Nigerians have always been self-entitled. However, when our population was manageable, we could sustain the illusion, by depending on the proceeds from our petroleum. Now that our population is getting out of control, we can no longer afford to continue pretending.

As you noted, this is similar to what happened with the subsidy issue. Where you are wrong is the same as before: you think there is something wrong in asking someone to pay for the value he gets.

I see you are studiously ignoring my question, but I'll pose it again: what is wrong in asking someone to pay some fraction for the value he gets?

2 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by jaryeh(m): 9:45am On Jul 07, 2014
@proffemi, on the OAU issue, on whose side are you? Ours or theirs? Why?
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Abraham2013(m): 9:46am On Jul 07, 2014
rutchiekens:

So because naija govt does not want to its duties I should wake up from what... This is about the people that can't afford to send their kids to private schools...

If Naija govt can't do its basic duties the day the poor decide to revolt even the middle class would tremble in fear.
D basic responsibility of govt is to provide quality basic and secondary education for its citizens for free. However wat we r discussing here is tertiary education and asking govt to provide world standard tertiary education to all nigerians 4 free is simply been unrealistic.

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by MOBBDEEP: 9:49am On Jul 07, 2014
Too late I just saw this hot heated thread.
@ Prof Femi, it seems as if I'm always of differing opinion on any issues with you.
I don't really mind your calling my view & some other's 'pre-adolescent'.
And I'm well convinced that I'm not playing devil's advocate.

Please Sir, can I ask you a question.
How much tuition fee do you think will suffice for the public tertiary institutions?
I meant the range.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by proffemi: 9:51am On Jul 07, 2014
jaryeh: @proffemi, on the OAU issue, on whose side are you? Ours or theirs? Why?

Ours or theirs? That is always a simplistic way of looking at things (reminds me of George Bush circa Gulf War).

I am on the side of logic and commonsense.
I am on the side of sustainability.
I am on the side of building a greater Nigeria.
I am on the side that pities students who (reference to iwonbaoko's analogy) want FG to slice up their meat into many worthless pieces.

I expect that at different times, I will find myself supporting either the students or the university administration.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by proffemi: 9:59am On Jul 07, 2014
MOBBDEEP: I don't really mind your calling my view & some other's 'pre-adolescent'.And I'm well convinced that I'm not playing devil's advocate.
No, no, that's not what I meant. You will always find stupid reasoning on both sides of the divide on any issue. I did not mean to imply that anyone who does not see things the way we do is stupid. I always respect logic, even if it is in support of a stance I oppose.

Please Sir, can I ask you a question. How much tuition fee do you think will suffice for the public tertiary institutions? I meant the range.
I would rather first deflect that question by asking: how much does tertiary education cost in countries we are "copying"? If we want our education to get to comparable standards, it must cost in the same range.

Lest you think I'm copping out, I'm going to come out and say it: I believe that educating an engineering student (my area) should cost up to N2 million per annum. I AM NOT SAYING THAT STUDENTS SHOULD PAY THAT. What the universities decide to charge per student depends on what FG is willing (and able) to drop on behalf of that student.

As you know, ASUU tried to get FG to pay more last year, but students were mostly opposed to the ASUU strike action. So, the universities are simply shifting up the student's share of the burden to compensate.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by jaryeh(m): 9:59am On Jul 07, 2014
proffemi:

There is a simpler explanation: perhaps Nigerians have always been self-entitled. However, when our population was manageable, we could sustain the illusion from our petroleum. Now that our population is getting out of control, we can no longer afford to continue pretending.

As you noted, this is similar to what happened with the subsidy issue. Where you are wrong is the same as before: you think there is something wrong in asking someone to pay for the value he gets.

I see you are studiously ignoring my question, but I'll pose it again: what is wrong in asking someone to pay some fraction for the value he gets?
Actually, there is nothing wrong in that. I've made my stand clear, if the government makes a judicious use of previous withdrawn interventions such as the fuel subsidy and do other things it should, we wouldn't be bothered with University funding or tuition whatever because we would have loads of alternatives to University education. But as it stands, it's the only opportunity majority has to get to the top.

The change has to start from the government because it has all the needed resources. Starting it from us - by introducing tuition and other unnecessary fees - would cut off the development because we do not (and should not) trust them. We would see any of their plans to get from us as another scam - and so it has been.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 9:59am On Jul 07, 2014
zz
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by proffemi: 10:02am On Jul 07, 2014
rutchiekens: Its been very sensible and realistic... Countries that are not as rich as Nigeria are doing it so why can't Nigeria do it.

Please mention ONE of such countries so we can all learn. Don't tell me you are one of those who just say things because they sound cool?
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by ogtavia(m): 10:02am On Jul 07, 2014
proffemi:

I am never one to criticize grammar in an online forum. However, I think the new chatting culture has ruined communication globally (not just in Nigeria). Take your post for example: I am struggling to get the gist of your post, but it's hard going.

Can I suggest you put a little more effort into making your posts easier to understand? Use paragraphs where necessary, and don't underestimate the value of the period (full stop).
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by jaryeh(m): 10:05am On Jul 07, 2014
proffemi:

Ours or theirs? That is always a simplistic way of looking at things (reminds me of George Bush circa Gulf War).

I am on the side of logic and commonsense.
I am on the side of sustainability.
I am on the side of building a greater Nigeria.
I am on the side that pities students who (reference to iwonbaoko's analogy) want FG to slice up their meat into many worthless pieces.

I expect that at different times, I will find myself supporting either the students or the university administration.
grin grin
Ok. What's your say on it?
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by ogtavia(m): 10:05am On Jul 07, 2014
proffemi:

I am never one to criticize grammar in an online forum. However, I think the new chatting culture has ruined communication globally (not just in Nigeria). Take your post for example: I am struggling to get the gist of your post, but it's hard going.

Can I suggest you put a little more effort into making your posts easier to understand? Use paragraphs where necessary, and don't underestimate the value of the period (full stop).

Noted,but I use a phone with qwerty keyboard,its hard typing atimes...and d issue at hand is too serious to consider paragraphs or punctuation,I am nt writing a paper,an essay,a thesis or a column,its nt compulsory to read people's post.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 10:06am On Jul 07, 2014
zz
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by proffemi: 10:07am On Jul 07, 2014
jaryeh: The change has to start from the government because it has all the needed resources. Starting it from us - by introducing tuition and other unnecessary fees - would cut off the development because we do not (and should not) trust them. We would see any of their plans to get from us as another scam - and so it has been.

There are certain aspects of the change that will start from government, but this is not one of them.
Let me personalize this matter a bit: do you Jaryeh believe that the government spends up to N500,000 on your education per annum? Since you pay less than N50,000 currently, do you Jaryeh think the government has not done enough by paying N450,000 on your behalf? As someone has asked, do you think it is fair that it is this same you (and not the hairdresser or mechanic) that is demanding for more?
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by proffemi: 10:07am On Jul 07, 2014
rutchiekens: Saying the population is getting out of control just makes u a political b:itch and senseless Nigerian...Nothing can get out of control in this world... Cos u are not the one that created the universe.

MOBBDEEP, this is one of those I was talking about.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 10:12am On Jul 07, 2014
zz
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by proffemi: 10:12am On Jul 07, 2014
jaryeh: grin grin Ok. What's your say on it?

I hope you don't think I will shy away from stating my mind because my stand may be unpopular?

I think students are being silly in their demands. They should not argue that N30,000 is too much for tertiary education in 2014 (how can anyone say that, and not slap himself?). They should have focused on the fact that some students cannot afford to pay such.

Your focus should be on how serious the university is about helping indigent students. By most of their utterances and actions, the students have demonstrated that the school showed them too much respect by offering to dialog. Their utterances did not show that they grasp the issues at stake.

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by MOBBDEEP: 10:12am On Jul 07, 2014
Again @ Prof ( don't mind me Sir )
What do you term 'fraction'?
I do know I pay a net of about 6% income tax which is direct-tax.
Now!!!, you could argue well that this is too small.
How about the tonnes of indirect tax we pay?
Almost all consumer goods are taxed!
Even our airtime/recharge cards, fuel per litre et cetera all carry tax charges!
See all the tenement rates we pay?
Are you sure the economy will not crumble if we apply this your principle.
How many people will be able to sustain, let alone save by the time you raised the tax rate & apply marked tuition fee in the tertiary institution?

Sir, you have not been able to buy me over with the idea.
A lot of the state-owned tertiary institutions are collecting at present relative bogus fees in the tunes 100-200s of thousands ( I know you will still taunt me back that I don't know what I'm saying because the money is small ) but what do they have to show for it ?
Okay, granted. Let's agree that the fee is inadequate.
If all things are being equal & your principle is correct, should't the 1st generation state-owned tertiary institutions show an edge over their federal-owned institutions in terms of value.

I will continue to reiterate that the fee/funding is not the fundamental problem!
It sure needs assessment but it is just a side problem.
Fix this & leave corruption + defective accountability + rotten Civil-Service un-tended to, our condition will be more pitiable.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by proffemi: 10:13am On Jul 07, 2014
rutchiekens:

My argument was with Abraham2013 but since u getting head over heels with yourself..... U're welcome..

Here are some countries:

Argentina
Greece
Denmark
Brazil
Sweden
Finland
Norway.

To mention a few

Let me get you right: you mean every country on that list is POORER than Nigeria? By what metric, pray tell?
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by jaryeh(m): 10:15am On Jul 07, 2014
proffemi:

There are certain aspects of the change that will start from government, but this is not one of them.
Let me personalize this matter a bit: do you Jaryeh believe that the government spends up to N500,000 on your education per annum? Since you pay less than N50,000 currently, do you Jaryeh think the government has not done enough by paying N450,000 on your behalf? As someone has asked, do you think it is fair that it is this same you (and not the hairdresser or mechanic) that is demanding for more?
N450,000? In what way? If ASUU felt we needed more and demanded for it, why can't I?
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by proffemi: 10:17am On Jul 07, 2014
MOBBDEEP: Again @ Prof ( don't mind me Sir )
I will continue to reiterate that the fee/funding is not the fundamental problem!
It sure needs assessment but it is just a side problem.
Fix this & leave corruption + defective accountability + rotten Civil-Service un-tended to, our condition will be more pitiable.

So, in your opinion: corruption in Nigeria, and in the universities is the major problem of the sector?
In your opinion, assuming we could wide out corruption in Nigeria, the universities would immediately get to global standards at the current level of funding?

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by proffemi: 10:20am On Jul 07, 2014
jaryeh:
N450,000? In what way? If ASUU felt we needed more and demanded for it, why can't I?

Are you saying you do not think you cost FG that much? How much do you estimate is the value of the education you currently get? I think this is the crux of the matter.

PS: sorry I have to leave for a meeting now (just informed). Be assured however that I will return by around noon, so please post away!
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 10:20am On Jul 07, 2014
zz
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by proffemi: 10:23am On Jul 07, 2014
rutchiekens: The day u figure out the answer to this question... That day would mean your IQ just improved...
I'm truly sorry I ever wasted my time on the likes of you. You represent the sort of student that I hope the ongoing dialogue about tertiary education will flush out of my class. Have a good life.

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by MOBBDEEP: 10:23am On Jul 07, 2014
proffemi:
No, no, that's not what I meant. You will always find stupid reasoning on both sides of the divide on any issue. I did not mean to imply that anyone who does not see things the way we do is stupid. I always respect logic, even if it is in support of a stance I oppose.

I would rather first deflect that question by asking: how much does tertiary education cost in countries we are "copying"? If we want our education to get to comparable standards, it must cost in the same range.

Lest you think I'm copping out, I'm going to come out and say it: I believe that educating an engineering student (my area) should cost up to N2 million per annum. I AM NOT SAYING THAT STUDENTS SHOULD PAY THAT. What the universities decide to charge per student depends on what FG is willing (and able) to drop on behalf of that student.

As you know, ASUU tried to get FG to pay more last year, but students were mostly opposed to the ASUU strike action. So, the universities are simply shifting up the student's share of the burden to compensate.
I hope I won't be wrong to say we are copying British education system.
Now, that is some problem because if I guess right, those guys are using education to generate income.
We can't totally apply their tuition-fee system because bulk of the fund generated is actually to support public-fund.
They don't have much natural resources.
As much as I detest making mention of the fact that we have oil,the truth is that we can't just close our eyes as if it is not there.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by jaryeh(m): 10:27am On Jul 07, 2014
proffemi:

I hope you don't think I will shy away from stating my mind because my stand may be unpopular?

I think students are being silly in their demands. They should not argue that N30,000 is too much for tertiary education in 2014 (how can anyone say that, and not slap himself?). They should have focused on the fact that some students cannot afford to pay such.

Your focus should be on how serious the university is about helping indigent students. By most of their utterances and actions, the students have demonstrated that the school showed them too much respect by offering to dialog. Their utterances did not show that they grasp the issues at stake.

We feel it is outrageous and unjustified. The question is: Why the increment? How much debt has the management ran into while it was collecting "ridiculous fees"? Mr VC said FG's intervention fund has reduced, we asked "how much was it and how much is it now?".

It's a long story sha, everything points that "won fe gba wa ni o". The management told "naked lies" in several occasions....."omo t'o ba paro ma jale".

Did you read the SUG press release?
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 10:29am On Jul 07, 2014
zz
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by jaryeh(m): 10:35am On Jul 07, 2014
proffemi:

Are you saying you do not think you cost FG that much? How much do you estimate is the value of the education you currently get? I think this is the crux of the matter.

PS: sorry I have to leave for a meeting now (just informed). Be assured however that I will return by around noon, so please post away!
Well, it doesn't really add to the argument on ground. But I think if it costs FG that much, our budgetary allocation would be high, up to about 40%, which is not so.
The government is trying, actually, but it still needs to try more 'cos it has more.

Later, I was about logging out too. Thanks.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 07, 2014
jaryeh:
We feel it is outrageous and unjustified. The question is: Why the increment? How much debt has the management ran into while it was collecting "ridiculous fees"? Mr VC said FG's intervention fund has reduced, we asked "how much was it and how much is it now?".

I'm not proffemi....but to answer your question,in 2009,ASUU signed an agreement with the Govt in which N3trillion was promised.Fast forward to 2013 ,and ASUU discovered that the money was not paid. They then went on strike....and the Govt eventually told them the truth.....they could not afford N3trillion,but N1 trillion over 5years was offered instead. ASUU reluctantly agreed, and the deal was struck.

In other words.....the money OAU,and other individual universities would have gotten out of that N3trillion was reduced by 2/3rds.

VC's saw the writing on the wall....and fee increases was the result.

If we had the money.....N3trillion won't have been much problem.....but we don't (and that is partly why i suspect GEJ wanted to remove fuel subsidy....to get more funds for the treasury).
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by MOBBDEEP: 10:37am On Jul 07, 2014
proffemi:

So, in your opinion: corruption in Nigeria, and in the universities is the major problem of the sector?
In your opinion, assuming we could wide out corruption in Nigeria, the universities would immediately get to global standards at the current level of funding?
Sir, I did say that our education-tuition system needs re-evaluation & I quite agree values +quality results come with some significant inputs/costs.
But then, increasing the tuition-fee to the heavens, especially without addressing the means of its judicious use will only make us witness more rot.

By the way Sir, do you know that > 90% of Nigerians MOST LIKELY live below 1M per annum?
As at the time my dad retired as a GL 16/17 sec-schl principal ( now, this man should actually be a senior citizen ), I don't think his annual salary was up to 2.5M!!!
Now, this is another problem due to the devaluation of our currency & double-digit inflation.
The problems bedevilling our nation is multi-faceted & the rotting the education sector is a reflection of this.
How do you think he would be able to send his 4-7 children to schools this one that we are looking at 2M tuition fee for engineeringscholars?
May be by the combination of both alternatively deferring of studentship while taking turns at family/home front!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ibiyemi Olatunji-Bello As LASU VC: Lagos Indigenes Allege Marginalisation / ASUU Appeals Ruling, Says FG Has Declared War / Professors Oladiji, Ogunsola & Olatunji-Bello (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.