Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,299 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

Slim Down Windows Vista Badly (geeks Only) - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Slim Down Windows Vista Badly (geeks Only) (2321 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance / Hp Deskjet D2360 Driver For Windows Vista (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Slim Down Windows Vista Badly (geeks Only) by moonraker(m): 4:13pm On Oct 07, 2008
As we all know, windows vista is a lit bloated. ok let me be polite, its contains features that are really not useful. so the main issue is, how do we solve this palaver, well sure we can tweak the system. but what happens if yu were caught by a virus and u had to reformat. you will not only reformat, u will have to reapply those tweaks agin. this can be time wasting, trust me. so here is me, providing info on how to create your own vista DVD without all those trial software but vista bloat.

Using the free software vLite,www.vlite.com you can create a completely custom, bootable Windows Vista install DVD. Remove the parts of Vista you don’t want/use, change some of the default settings, include Service Packs and Windows Updates, and more. Keep reading for complete step-by-step instructions on using vLite.

There are a few things I should mention about vLite before you get too far into this guide. First, creating a custom Vista DVD can sometimes cause Windows Update not to function perfectly. For example, if you had installed a custom version of Vista created with vLite prior to the release of Vista Service Pack 1, you would not be able to install SP1 (without creating a new Vista DVD that included SP1, and re-install the entire OS).

This guide doesn’t show you how to include SP1 in your custom Vista, because the version i use for this experiment is windows vista sp1 oopsy sorry

1. install Vlite

2. run and accept the terms and agreement

3. If prompted to install some Dependencies, click the Install button (typically, you have to install one driver, WIM Filter)

4. after downloading and installing the WIM filter, relaunch Vlite . A window will pop up asking where your Windows Vista install disc is located. Select the DVD drive that has your copy of Vista in it. Now click the Browse button (ofcourse you must have sloted yur vista disc into the drive)

5.Click OK on the Copy Files window, and then navigate to the folder you want to save your Windows Vista files in. It’s a good idea to create a new folder to save the files in - I opted for C:\Vista Backup\

6. Click OK when you’ve selected the folder.

7. Now vLite will copy your Vista disc to your hard drive. This can take some time (took me 10minutes)

8. Once vLite has copied all the files to your hard drive, it will analyze them to determine the copy of Vista that you’re running. The info will be displayed right below the Status section of vLite. When you’re ready, click Next.

9. Now you have to decide what exactly you want to change/add to Vista. You might as well select all of the possibilities - you don’t actually have to make changes in each section. You’ll probably want to leave Enable before apply unchecked.

10. The Compatibility window will appear. Select each of the features you want to keep in your custom Vista install disc. If you hover your mouse over each select, you’ll see (at the bottom) what will be affected by not including a particular feature. Unless you really know what you’re doing, you’ll probably want to make sure everything is checked.

11. On the Applications tab you can select the applications you expect to use in vista

12. In the Components section you can place check marks in the boxes next to the components you do not want included on your Vista install disc. After you’ve reviewed all of the components - and there are a lot of them - click Next to continue.

13. In the Tweaks section you can enable, disable or leave as default some of the Vista settings. In the Security section of the Tweaks, you can disable AutoPlay (yay!) or change things like Hibernation, Power schemes etc

14. Select System from the Tweaks section, and review the changes you can make. One that I appreciated was to set the Control Panel to Classic View by default

15. If you’re absolutely sure you know what you’re doing, you can take a look at the Explorer section of the Tweaks, but I’d suggest leaving them alone. In the Internet Explorer section you can disable the IE Phishing Filter and/or the IE Phishing Verification Balloon Tips.

16. Once more, click Next. To enable Vista to install while being unattended, fill in all of the required fields. This allows for a fully automated installation - just put in the Vista installer DVD, click start, and you won’t need to interact with the installation at all.

17. Make sure to check the Regional tab if you’d like to specify a default Timezone, Keyboard layout, Time and currency format etc. Click Apply when you’re done.

18. Now you’ll be asked how you want to save the changes made to Vista. I’d suggest Rebuild one. Click OK. (much faster)

19. And now watch as vLite rebuilds your version of Vista

20. Once the process has completed, click Next.

21. From the Make bootable ISO for testing or burner screen, click Make ISO

22. And select a location to save your new Vista ISO

23. Once it’s done, click Exit.

24. Now burn your ISO to a DVD, and you’ll have your custom, bootable version of Vista ready to install on your PC, the next time the need arises

have fun using yur slimed down vista,

now check this is out. i aint gonna be held responsible for any destruction but will be happy to answer yur questions.
Re: Slim Down Windows Vista Badly (geeks Only) by Djcn: 8:12pm On Oct 07, 2008
Thanks for your tips but you to note the following.
I think the issues of vlite and nlite has already been treated by microsoft.
I had installed it in feb 07 but later had to remove it.

Note the following.

Microsoft does not recommend using any tool to strip out applications from Windows Vista prior to installing it on your system, as it may affect your ability to download future Windows updates and service packs, and may cause your system to become unstable.

You may experience more problems when your system begins to misbehave.

As advised by the poster, u have to be a geek or u might end up toying with ur system.

Anyway good software.
Re: Slim Down Windows Vista Badly (geeks Only) by moonraker(m): 2:06am On Oct 08, 2008
well said

(1) (Reply)

Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 12, 8GB RAM, Touch +keyboard Light + Convertible @110k / How To Get Trojans, Spyware, And Network Worms Off My System / How Do I Send Free Sms Over The Internet?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.