Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,837 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:45 PM

Why Do Some People Like Using Much Seasoning(maggi) In Cooking - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Some People Like Using Much Seasoning(maggi) In Cooking (2115 Views)

Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? / NAFDAC Issues Alert On The Presence Of Contaminated Nestle Maggi Noodles / Task Force Intercepts Expired Seasoning In Ogun State (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some People Like Using Much Seasoning(maggi) In Cooking by Nobody: 10:23am On Jul 07, 2014
I have observed that some people like using much seasoning for cooking. To them the secret to great meal is the number of seasoning added to the food while cooking.

A friend's mum was angry with her that she cooked with just a cube because she usually use a minimum of 8 while preparing a stew for just 5 people in a family. A stew that will finish just that night.

I was also discussing with someone else about cooking and the person said she cooks with a minimum of 4 depending on what she is preparing.

So I wonder because in the home am from there is less emphasis on seasoning and my experience as a professional cook I am astonished to my findings.

Also, our mothers in the past cook without seasoning and their meal taste great so I wonder where our mothers of today learnt this over dependence on seasoning and are passing it on to their daughters.

Even the advert of some of this seasoning they do not use more than one so where come this culture of 4 or more seasoning in cooking.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Like Using Much Seasoning(maggi) In Cooking by sucobaba(m): 9:14am On Jul 12, 2014
Nice observation OP...its a known fact that our great great grand mums never used seasonings simply because they got everything ULTRA FRESH from their farms.From the palm oil which they made themselves at the best quality to the freshest of pepper and tomatoes which they also planted,to fishes or meat sourced fresh from their husbands hunting down to their only seasoning then(iru or locust bean)which are always impeccable...what you get are delicious and medicinal delicacies which translate to less illness and longevity of life.
Fast forward to now...what we get are not even near 30% fresh in urban area due to so many reasons...large population,dearth of farming space and culture,poor road network to transport those fresh items,poor storage facilities,etc.So most modern mums/ladies believes that heavy spicing/seasoning will substitute for the nutritional loss of these food ingredients,so what we get aren't delicious and natural but "artificial " and heavily seasoned foods.
Re: Why Do Some People Like Using Much Seasoning(maggi) In Cooking by crowntoro(f): 8:52pm On Jul 12, 2014
sucobaba: Nice observation OP...its a known fact that our great great grand mums never used seasonings simply because they got everything ULTRA FRESH from their farms.From the palm oil which they made themselves at the best quality to the freshest of pepper and tomatoes which they also planted,to fishes or meat sourced fresh from their husbands hunting down to their only seasoning then(iru or locust bean)which are always impeccable...what you get are delicious and medicinal delicacies which translate to less illness and longevity of life.
Fast forward to now...what we get are not even near 30% fresh in urban area due to so many reasons...large population,dearth of farming space and culture,poor road network to transport those fresh items,poor storage facilities,etc.So most modern mums/ladies believes that heavy spicing/seasoning will substitute for the nutritional loss of these food ingredients,so what we get aren't delicious and natural but "artificial " and heavily seasoned foods.
100 million likes
Re: Why Do Some People Like Using Much Seasoning(maggi) In Cooking by crowntoro(f): 8:54pm On Jul 12, 2014
Too much of it is not good for the body and wen it is even too much, it gives d food one funny scent dt if yu are not careful, yu might end up throwing up
Re: Why Do Some People Like Using Much Seasoning(maggi) In Cooking by Nobody: 1:51am On Jul 14, 2014
[quote
author=crowntoro]Too much of it is not good for the body and wen it is
even too much, it gives d food one funny scent dt if yu are not careful,
yu might end up throwing up[/quote]
i was thinking i was the only person it happens with...goosh...
Re: Why Do Some People Like Using Much Seasoning(maggi) In Cooking by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jul 14, 2014
Me too I don't like excessive maggi.when its too much it ruins the taste and value of the food for me however if I must prepare for depending on the quantity I'll use one for small soups and 2 for large. Besides Maggi is like make up which is meant to enhance the beauty of the food but when it's too much it becomes a turn off . same thing applies to curry and thyme
Re: Why Do Some People Like Using Much Seasoning(maggi) In Cooking by domwas2(m): 11:05pm On Jul 16, 2014
ejibaba: I have observed that some people like using much seasoning for cooking. To them the secret to great meal is the number of seasoning added to the food while cooking.

A friend's mum was angry with her that she cooked with just a cube because she usually use a minimum of 8 while preparing a stew for just 5 people in a family. A stew that will finish just that night.

I was also discussing with someone else about cooking and the person said she cooks with a minimum of 4 depending on what she is preparing.

So I wonder because in the home am from there is less emphasis on seasoning and my experience as a professional cook I am astonished to my findings.

Also, our mothers in the past cook without seasoning and their meal taste great so I wonder where our mothers of today learnt this over dependence on seasoning and apassing it on to their daughters.

Even the advert of some of this seasoning they do not use more than one so where come this culture of 4 or more seasoning in cooking.
Nice one
Re: Why Do Some People Like Using Much Seasoning(maggi) In Cooking by gbemmie09(f): 7:43pm On Jul 22, 2014
Too much of everything is bad, I hate curry and thyme in soup and stew.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some People Like Using Much Seasoning(maggi) In Cooking by Nobody: 10:30am On Jul 24, 2014
gbemmie09: Too much of everything is bad, I hate curry and thyme in soup and stew.

That is another topic...but some people can't cook without it. They feel the scent is worth the trouble that comes with it...I rather use scent leave that is natural.

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Need Help On Wat To Do With A Bag Of Carrot. / Cake Baking And Pastry Making Program In Benin. / Reduction In Volume Of Peak Milk 400g Refill Sachet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.