Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,261 members, 7,954,005 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:46 AM

Writers Please Share Advice And Tips... - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Writers Please Share Advice And Tips... (873 Views)

ALL ABOUT BOOKS U've Read...please Share Your Experience Here.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Writers Please Share Advice And Tips... by losprince(m): 10:51am On Jul 07, 2014
I'm not looking for much seriousness here but nairaland has good, awesome, spectacular, special writers... just to mention a few of the qualities they posses...

so greatest african writers!!! please share your tips

how do you do it?

what are your methods?

how do you create characters?

what books did you read?

what inspired you?

how did you start?

thank you as you take your time to share with us...

special guest: princessa , royver , slickest , sammy hoe and of course!!! repogirl!!!

of course everyone is a special guest here, just that my finger worn off while typing names... grin
Re: Writers Please Share Advice And Tips... by Slickest(m): 11:26am On Jul 13, 2014
losprince: I'm not looking for much seriousness here but nairaland has good, awesome, spectacular, special writers... just to mention a few of the qualities they posses...

how do you do it?

what are your methods?

how do you create characters?

what books did you read?

what inspired you?

how did you start?

thank you as you take your time to share with us...

special guest: princessa , royver , slickest , sammy hoe and of course!!! repogirl!!!

of course everyone is a special guest here, just that my finger worn off while typing names... grin

For me, I get the best out when I have to relate deeply with my imagination, to the point that I bring my greatest fears to reality(well, paper)...alone time and the right atmosphere is what sets the stage for a for something great...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Writers Please Share Advice And Tips... by LarrySun(m): 12:42pm On Jul 13, 2014
losprince: I'm not looking for much seriousness here but nairaland has good, awesome, spectacular, special writers... just to mention a few of the qualities they posses...

how do you do it? (I think. I imagine. I ask myself a lot of what-ifs)

what are your methods? (I write mostly detective stories and a few humorous tales here and there grin *Some people may not believe that, but I'm capable of bringing a smile on the faces of readers, if not an uproarious mirth*...but most of all, I let my intuitions guide me as I write, then I do some critical personal editings later *I hate to find grammatical errors in what I write* Always aspire to write in satisfactory grammar lest your readers laugh at you; unless you are clever enough to make them laugh with you *but, for that, you need humour rather than ill humour. When you caress your phrase a long while - in the end it will smile. smiley * But a writer must be prepared ruthlessly to reject even his brightest inspirations, if they lure him off the line of reasoning.)

how do you create characters? (It's very easy to create any character, but the protagonist and the antagonist must be created with distinction. Make your hero the character you'd like to be and make the villain the one you'd not like to be. However, have it at the back of your mind that no man is entirely perfect or imperfect; your hero should possess a few vices and your villain some virtues. This would make your narrative more interesting.)

what books did you read? (I read any book ranging from 'Ali and Simbi' to 'Gone with the Wind'; my library is a challenge to budding bibliophiles.)

what inspired you? (Not all books are masterpiece, and the belief that I could write even better than some people who were paid to write inspired me to grab the quill and scribble off.)

how did you start? (I started with a word at a time. One thing thing I notice is that the more I write the better I become at it. I learn from people better than me. If you want to be a better learner, it is not wise to take singing lessons from parrot. There are numerous mockingbirds of the Pernassian ornithology with very sweet songs of their own. Yet, writers of value are not taught to write.)

thank you as you take your time to share with us... (You're welcome, sir.)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Writers Please Share Advice And Tips... by losprince(m): 10:00am On Jul 14, 2014
thanks to you both @ slickest and larrysun for giving this thread your attention. more inspiration to your imagination

1 Like

Re: Writers Please Share Advice And Tips... by Royver(m): 11:22pm On Jul 14, 2014
I am an Empath.
I let my characters tell their stories through me. Sometimes it is something that I have seen happen or something that someone else xperienced and narrated to me...maybe thats why some people think my stories are real...some of them are with a little embellishment to keep it hyper interesting.
It can be vey tasking work but the secret is to write when its still fresh. I'm currently having issues with my first story because the story was meant to be told months ago but i got swamped with medicolegal work. hopefully i'll get to writing again soon...i hate leaving my stories unfinished.

I hope i was able to contribute something.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Writers Please Share Advice And Tips... by TiffanyJ(f): 9:03pm On Jul 15, 2014
I think and imagine hard to bring out a story. A good writer must posses these qualities

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Writers Please Share Advice And Tips... by losprince(m): 9:44pm On Jul 15, 2014
royver and tiffanyJ thank you both for your input
Re: Writers Please Share Advice And Tips... by DavidLiving: 10:57am On Mar 30, 2020
African writers? What do they do?
Does nationality matters in a writer?
Strange approach, every writer is unique and can possess good qualities. You can learn from any writer and improve your writing skills.

research paper writer, Clark Y. Mitchell

(1) (Reply)

Letter To Jasmine / [story] The Brand Of Cain...part 1 / Oscar The Detective

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.