Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,537 members, 7,819,921 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

The Name ‘nollywood’ Is Now Trademarked -nollywood.com Given To Trademark Owner! - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / The Name ‘nollywood’ Is Now Trademarked -nollywood.com Given To Trademark Owner! (1225 Views)

Chidinma Stuns In A New Look, Dumps Her Trademark Low-Cut For Braids - Pic / Jay-Z, Beyonce Lose Trademark Battle For 'Blue Ivy' Name / Nollywood Is Dead - Emeka Ike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Name ‘nollywood’ Is Now Trademarked -nollywood.com Given To Trademark Owner! by riversboy: 5:00am On Jul 08, 2014
All legal hell has indeed broken loose!

I just got confirmation from a contact in the registrar and hosting company for the site http://nollywood.com that the site has been suspended due to the trademark infringement of the term "nollywood" owned by Nicholas Opara.

And I went to check the site and the usual content is gone.

This is a precursor to having that domain name turned over to the trademark owner.

I have been following this saga from the start and my analysis is that this individual - Nicholas Opara - is extremely forward thinking and obviously an outstanding entrepreneur. A true Igbo/Ikwerre man. The law is on his side. I am sure he has employed his legal people to look at the pros and cons. He is in essence doing what the Nigerian government and the industry did not think about, which is: Bringing the industry under an intellectual property umbrella in the highest yielding markets for nollywood.

From a business perspective, It would be to the benefit of the Nigerian government and industry professionals to engage him and work with him. After all he is still a Nigerian, although he might be a US citizen. One would hope that he is as patriotic as he is intelligent. (Kanayo O. Kanayo/Fiberisima where are you?)

It still puzzles me that the Nigerian government never thought of this. How in the world due you base/rebase a country's GDP on something that you do not own the intellectual property to? Our people never fail to amaze me sometimes.

Below is a copy of the letter forwarded to me by my contact.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Subject: [P12787475000000000] Nollywood Trademark Violation | nollywood.com | Check6/24
To: trademarkabuse@nollywood.ca

Hello,

We have suspended the account and domain name to make the website go down. Please clear your cache and cookies to make sure you are not reviewing a cache version. However if our customer provides a court order that they are allowed to use the material we will abide by the court order. Please let me know if you have any further question or concerns.

Regards,
Zach Palmer
Compliance Manager
Re: The Name ‘nollywood’ Is Now Trademarked -nollywood.com Given To Trademark Owner! by betalogy: 8:21am On Jul 08, 2014
Na wah for nollywood ooh.

Can you imagine the ramification of this development? This means that this guy will effectively control all the domains that has nollywood in them and is involved in the film industry.

My instinct is that nollywoodlove.com owned by irokotv is next.

Sharp guy. Who is behind this guy self? The Igbo mafia? Looking to control this lucrative industry?

Anyway, this is the time to get on the same wave length with this guy. Ah beg, anyone that knows him should forward his information to me.

This guy is going to be one of the future rulers of the nollywood industry.
Re: The Name ‘nollywood’ Is Now Trademarked -nollywood.com Given To Trademark Owner! by Arosa(m): 10:51am On Jul 08, 2014
Nonsense, domain name parking should be banned.
Re: The Name ‘nollywood’ Is Now Trademarked -nollywood.com Given To Trademark Owner! by betalogy: 10:02pm On Jul 08, 2014
Arosa: Nonsense, domain name parking should be banned.
Arosa! What in the world are you talking about? This posting has nothing to do with domain name parking.

E be like say you get ADHD.

Dude, Focus!! Stay on topic. If you dont have anything to say, its alright to just not start typing. Control your illness, dont let it control you.
Re: The Name ‘nollywood’ Is Now Trademarked -nollywood.com Given To Trademark Owner! by Arosa(m): 10:53pm On Jul 08, 2014
betalogy:
Arosa! What in the world are you talking about? This posting has nothing to do with domain name parking.

E be like say you get ADHD.

Dude, Focus!! Stay on topic. If you dont have anything to say, its alright to just not start typing. Control your illness, dont let it control you.

daft kunt.
Re: The Name ‘nollywood’ Is Now Trademarked -nollywood.com Given To Trademark Owner! by betalogy: 10:41am On Jul 12, 2014
Arosa! There you go again. You monosyllabic buffoon!

You can't even focus enough to do a spell check.

Dude: lay off the pipe and say something that makes sense.
Re: The Name ‘nollywood’ Is Now Trademarked -nollywood.com Given To Trademark Owner! by Arosa(m): 11:28am On Jul 12, 2014
betalogy: Arosa! There you go again. You monosyllabic buffoon!

You can't even focus enough to do a spell check.

Dude: lay off the pipe and say something that makes sense.

Shut your stinking bum hole, you inconsequential twerp. grin
Re: The Name ‘nollywood’ Is Now Trademarked -nollywood.com Given To Trademark Owner! by betalogy: 8:04pm On Jul 12, 2014
That's better. Your retorts still lack focus and expanded vocabulary.

It's obvious that you lack higher education because of your use of short sentences laced and tainted with profanities. This is also a definite sign of your poor pedigree. But then, "everyone" these days can get on the internet.

Arosa! Let's try it again. Try making a full sentence that makes sense.
Re: The Name ‘nollywood’ Is Now Trademarked -nollywood.com Given To Trademark Owner! by Arosa(m): 8:20pm On Jul 12, 2014
betalogy: That's better. Your retorts still lack focus and expanded vocabulary.

It's obvious that you lack higher education because of your use of short sentences laced and tainted with profanities. This is also a definite sign of your poor pedigree. But then, "everyone" these days can get on the internet.

Arosa! Let's try it again. Try making a full sentence that makes sense.

Let me guess you have a PHD right? mumu goat grin
Re: The Name ‘nollywood’ Is Now Trademarked -nollywood.com Given To Trademark Owner! by betalogy: 8:40pm On Jul 12, 2014
Actually, I don't have a PHD. Just better education and pedigree than you do.

So once again, Arosa! Convince us that you have "some" command of the English language. For your sake, I am lowering the bar. Notice I said "some command".

Dude, try remove shame from your face now...
Re: The Name ‘nollywood’ Is Now Trademarked -nollywood.com Given To Trademark Owner! by Arosa(m): 9:05pm On Jul 12, 2014
betalogy: Actually, I don't have a PHD. Just better education and pedigree than you do.

So once again, Arosa! Convince us that you have "some" command of the English language. For your sake, I am lowering the bar. Notice I said "some command".

Dude, try remove shame from your face now...

Lol, I stopped doing what peeps want me to do a long time ago, so 'piss off'!
Re: The Name ‘nollywood’ Is Now Trademarked -nollywood.com Given To Trademark Owner! by betalogy: 12:18am On Jul 13, 2014
Arosa:
Lol, I stopped doing what peeps want me to do a long time ago, so 'piss off'!

Perhaps because you cant fulfill the lowest requirement of polite society's standards?

I am going to assume that you feel that ignorance is bliss? Your ignorance?

Go ahead: reply with one of your one line gibberish....

(1) (Reply)

Beyonce And Jay Z Headed For A Divorce?? / Photos: Nollywood Twin Divas, Tracy & Treasure Celebrate Birthday With Friends / Singer Justin Bieber Is Lonely, Misses Selena Gomez

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.