Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,761 members, 7,809,929 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:23 PM

Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? (791 Views)

How Many Times Do They Collect Offerings In Your Place Of Worship? / Are You Comfortable In Your Place Of Worship?Read this photo inside / Which Is Your Favorite Part Of Worship Service? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by Onyegecha(f): 6:19pm On Jul 09, 2014
Just wondering, which one inspires more fear in adherents; the traditional religion or the christian religion?
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jul 09, 2014
It depends on your denomination-- Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in hell.
Macof, PAGAN9JA, Do traditional religions have a hell and heaven?
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:42am On Jul 10, 2014
Apatheist: It depends on your denomination-- Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in hell.
Macof, PAGAN9JA, Do traditional religions have a hell and heaven?

No.

We believe they can be made and exist on Earth through human actions. (or inaction)

2 Likes

Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by Nobody: 6:16am On Jul 10, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

No.

We believe they can be made and exist on Earth through human actions. (or inaction)
OK.
Thanks.
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by macof(m): 1:20pm On Jul 11, 2014
Christianity nd Islam strive on fear. They feed you fear and then control you with it

this is the bedrock of both religions
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by mployer(m): 1:53pm On Jul 11, 2014
macof: Christianity nd Islam strive on fear. They feed you fear and then control you with it

So wrong.
Christian thrives on experience and faith.
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by qstar(m): 1:55pm On Jul 11, 2014
mployer:

So wrong.

Are you kidding me?
What of the christian hell?

1 Like

Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by mployer(m): 1:56pm On Jul 11, 2014
Your Christianity will be marked with fear if you live in ignorance. The Bible said God has not given us the Spirit of fear but of love and of sound mind.
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by mployer(m): 2:02pm On Jul 11, 2014
qstar:

Are you kidding me?
What of the christian hell?
If escaping hell is your only reason for being a christian then you are probably not. Christianity is more than escaping hell, its living the invisible life of God on earth. It might not be easy for to comprehend cos u don't have what it takes to do that-the Holy Spirit.
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by qstar(m): 2:15pm On Jul 11, 2014
mployer:
If escaping hell is your only reason for being a christian then you are probably not. Christianity is more than escaping hell, its living the invisible life of God on earth. It might not be easy for to comprehend cos u don't have what it takes to do that-the Holy Spirit.

I don't have time for your long gibberish and perpetual hocus-pocus. I pray for you!
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by mployer(m): 2:28pm On Jul 11, 2014
qstar:

I don't have time for your long gibberish and perpetual hocus-pocus. I pray for you!
Am not even out to argue with you. Just stating truths you will come to find out someday.
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by macof(m): 3:38pm On Jul 11, 2014
mployer:

So wrong.

And have you experienced Jesus? If you have, pls narrate your experience

Also let's now if this "experience".was before or after you believed in Jesus

As I always say "Experience before faith, not delusion after Faith"

1 Like

Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by macof(m): 3:47pm On Jul 11, 2014
mployer:

How to convert someone to christianity lays on your preaching about Jesus and his importance
"Jesus is the only way" "the Bible is the word of God" "the word is also Jesus and Jesus is God"
"only Jesus can grant escape from hell"

Bottom line is, you still going to Preach hell to put fear in people so they can be deceived and forced into thoughts like
"what would I gain if hell is real and Jesus is truly the only saviour? I had better just convert rather than gabble this thing"

But of course this applies to those who haven't known the Christian hypocrisy and lies like so many of us today
Tomorrow would even be better as the next generation would have even less dumb Africans into such foreign bullshiit
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by Kay17: 4:17pm On Jul 11, 2014
mployer:

What if I don't want love anybody and I want to be a secluded recluse, will I still go to hell?! And being human, I don't want to go to hell, invariably wouldn't I have the fear of hell in mind?

1 Like

Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by mployer(m): 4:49pm On Jul 11, 2014
macof:

How to convert someone to christianity lays on your preaching about Jesus and his importance
"Jesus is the only way" "the Bible is the word of God" "the word is also Jesus and Jesus is God"
"only Jesus can grant escape from hell"

Bottom line is, you still going to Preach hell to put fear in people so they can be deceived and forced into thoughts like
"what would I gain if hell is real and Jesus is truly the only saviour? I had better just convert rather than gabble this thing"

But of course this applies to those who haven't known the Christian hypocrisy and lies like so many of us today
Tomorrow would even be better as the next generation would have even less dumb Africans into such foreign bullshiit

Jesus said ' I am the light of the world, He That follows me shall not walk in darkness'
He Is not here to help You escape hell, He's here to deliver You from the hell You are experiencing already. It Is called salvation.
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by macof(m): 5:02pm On Jul 11, 2014
mployer:

Jesus said ' I am the light of the world, He That follows me shall not walk in darkness'
He Is not here to help You escape hell, He's here to deliver You from the hell You are experiencing already. It Is called salvation.

And what's the difference with this and what I stated?
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by mployer(m): 5:07pm On Jul 11, 2014
macof:

And what's the difference with this and what I stated?

The difference Is That You are thinking of a coming hell but Jesus Is showing You the hell within
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by Onyegecha(f): 7:39pm On Jul 11, 2014
Are you really sure of this? In my experience, they carry a heavy load of fear about and that is why every thing that happens is an attack and requires special prayers. Even a dead cockroach or lizard agitates the average Christian. I wonder where this spirit of boldness and sound mind are.

mployer:

So wrong.

1 Like

Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by Gombs(m): 7:43pm On Jul 11, 2014
macof: Christianity nd Islam strive on fear. They feed you fear and then control you with it

Go study the bible with an unbiased and unfouled mind... God said "Fear not".. He is so serious on that instruction

For instance, the King James Version says “Fear not” or “Be not afraid” 103 times.. Jesus dont want us to fear or be afraid.. look at this example below..

Matt 14:22-23 KJV

Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in [size=16pt]fear.[/size]

27 But Jesus [size=16pt]immediately[/size] said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”

28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”

29 “Come,” he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

31 [size=16pt]Immediately [/size]Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”

notice how Jesus immediately moved to quench their fear... He was walking, but the moment he sensed their fear, he moved immediately to quench it...how then do folks think Christianity is about fear? the fact u were afraid when u heard the truth (or maybe the way twas said to you) does not mean Christianity is about fear...finally, this is what paul said to young pastor Timothy

2 Timothy 1:7King James Version (KJV)
7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a [size=16pt]sound mind.[/size]
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by mployer(m): 7:52pm On Jul 11, 2014
Onyegecha:
Are you really sure of this? In my experience, they carry a heavy load of fear about and that is why every thing that happens is an attack and requires special prayers. Even a dead cockroach or lizard agitates the average Christian. I wonder where this spirit of boldness and sound mind are.

That is not christianity. Christianity is living the life of christ through the power of the résident Holy Spirit. You can't find anywhere christ succumbed to fear in the Bible, so how Can you claim to live his life and still tossed around by every threat? Though its normal to feel afraid sometimes but living the life of fear Is not normal for a Christian.
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jul 11, 2014
Onyegecha, the Abrahamic religions thrive on fear: obey or you go to hell
And greed: if you obey you'll be rewarded with virgins(islam) or mansions(Christianity)
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by Onyegecha(f): 8:30pm On Jul 11, 2014
Very correct, my dear but the traditional religions also had or have their own fear factors. Is there really a basis for comparison?

Apatheist: Onyegecha, the Abrahamic religions thrive on fear: obey or you go to hell
And greed: if you obey you'll be rewarded with virgins(islam) or mansions(Christianity)
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jul 11, 2014
Onyegecha: Very correct, my dear but the traditional religions also had or have their own fear factors. Is there really a basis for comparison?

The fear factor in traditional religions is not as those of the Abrahamic religions, as their punishment for disbelief or disobedience is supposedly carried out on earth, while they are alive sometimes across generations.
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by macof(m): 9:42am On Jul 12, 2014
mployer:

The difference Is That You are thinking of a coming hell but Jesus Is showing You the hell within

Still can't find any difference. You preach hell so I would be afraid then you preach Jesus as the way out of hell....Fear is still the bedrock

1 Like

Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by Nobody: 9:51am On Jul 12, 2014
Fear is one of the main reasons why people worship God and not true LOVE !
Re: Fear, An Essential Ingredient Of Worship? by AdeniyiA(m): 1:52pm On Jul 12, 2014
In the Bible, the word translated "fear" can mean several things. It can refer to the terror one feels in a frightening situation (Deuteronomy 2:25). It can mean "respect" in the way a servant fears his master and serves him faithfully (Joshua 24:14). Fear can also denote the reverence or awe a person feels in the presence of greatness (Isaiah 6:5). The fear of the Lord is a combination of all of these.
.It's unfortunate that our motives nd reasons for serving God is a reflection of our unloving way of life, no thanks to the religious but ungodly society we've built. if we can't love those we see nd live with, how can we love God whom we see not?
Most of our religious leaders are not helping matters by catching in on our unloving attitudes to instill fear to serve God in our minds rather than more of love,but fear can only come in if we intend on taking God for granted ,knowing the consequences of such an action.

(1) (Reply)

Pray For Isreal / Love / The Law Of Sin And Of Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.