Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,693 members, 7,955,619 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:57 AM

For Those Mums Who Feel The Pressure Of Motherhood... - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / For Those Mums Who Feel The Pressure Of Motherhood... (655 Views)

Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play / The Joys Of Motherhood In Pictures! / How Did You Feel The First Time You Became A Father? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

For Those Mums Who Feel The Pressure Of Motherhood... by Mamagidi(f): 9:34am On Jul 10, 2014

I'M SURE EVERY MUM loves to be told she’s doing a good job; that her child is so cute and well-mannered, looking very neat and tidy, and all that. In fact, everyone loves to be commended, right? So, this article must have interested you a lot. Well, if you’re thinking “I hope I can get a few tips here on how to up my ‘mummy’ game”, then you may be in for quite a surprise.

Most of the things you’ll see here may not sound like advice, but trust me, they are. And I’m not just talking off my head. Other mums have agreed to the same things.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MUMMY?

1. TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS

It’s easy to want to triple-check your instincts every time (especially for new mums) and as there’s always a sea of suggestions and well-meaning advice, you may doubt yourself more than is necessary. Iyabo- mother of two- had a similar experience, “I just got tired of feeling like a failure all the time. It was a kind of rebellion for me but I did it. I just stopped taking all the advice too seriously”. This is not to say you should disregard every suggestion. Simply put, you know the basics. Get enough information on these and don’t restrict yourself to a particular pattern. You’ll most likely need to adjust things here and there. Don’t feel bad about that. Like Iyabo found out “Sometimes, you just have to do what feels right deep down in your heart. I saved myself from much pressure by doing that”

2. KNOWLEDGE IS NOT ALWAYS POWER

Yes, knowing too much can sometimes cause you a lot of head-and-heart ache. If you’re planning to read every magazine column, internet article and study finding on motherhood, then you’re in for a not-too-comfy ride. You’ll be tossed here and there and probably left feeling like the perfect candidate for a World’s Worst Mum award. Most articles and writings (and even doctor’s advice) are generalized and cannot address every peculiar situation. Unfortunately, that’s what every mother-child situation is: Peculiar. I heard once from a friend that reading a book is like eating chicken; you take out the meat and toss the bones. And as regards acquiring knowledge to be a better mum, that’s my advice to you!

How To Mess Things Up The Right Way

3. QUIT THE GUILT TRIP

Mabel’s first time as a mum was not very exciting, especially when she had to go back to work, “I felt so guilty about not being there to breastfeed my son. And my sister was always willing to show off her very chubby baby whom she breastfed all the time”. Temi shares a similar experience “I feel really bad whenever my mum complains about my kid looking thin. The only thought that comes to my mind is that i’ve not been feeding her properly”. If you’re not going to stop feeling guilty, then you’re going to be at the mercy of every remark (true or false) that people make. It’s enough work being a mum; why add guilt to the pack?

YOU ALL REMEMBER THIS, RIGHT? =>>> http://www.mamagidi.com/4-unforgettable-nigerian-mothers/

4. ACCEPT THAT YOU’LL NEVER BE PERFECT

I repeat: NEVER! Get comfortable (Yes, I said it, comfortable) with messing up once in a while.

5. LOOSEN UP

Learn to have fun (as much as you can, anyway). A tensed mum is no good for anyone, and you won’t be of much use to yourself either. So take every opportunity to lighten things up, for you and for your family.

You know, it’s possible to be so occupied with the idea of being a good mum that you forget to be a mum at all. Like we all know, Superman- and Supermum- only exist in the movies!

SOURCE: www.mamagidi.com
Re: For Those Mums Who Feel The Pressure Of Motherhood... by Omojuwagem(f): 3:29pm On Jul 16, 2014
For information on raising godly children in our technologically advancing world visit www./iid-670372431

(1) (Reply)

Become The Owner Of 32 Online Money Making Ebooks And Make Big Profit From Today / If You Are A Yoruba And You Dont Know How To Speak Please Coming In...!!!! / Friend Deceives Me To Eat The Forbidden Fruit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.