Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,336 members, 7,954,373 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:47 PM

Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. (3421 Views)

Let's Discuss About Indecent Dressing To Church / Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. / Toni Payne Blasts Chris Okotie For Saying "All Catholics Will Go To Hell" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Teespice(f): 5:25am On Jul 11, 2014
RoyalRoy:

Yes I am.
Teespice been a while.

I am one as well

Hope you good?
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by RoyalRoy(m): 5:33am On Jul 11, 2014
Teespice:

I am one as well

Hope you good?

Good to know.

I am well and fine. Thanks babe.
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 11:12am On Jul 11, 2014
cococandy: Share your thoughts on
Holy communion:
State of grace:
Confession to priests:
And most importantly

PURGATORY

PURGATORY
Psalm66:12
You have caused men to ride over our heads;
We went through fire and through water,
But you brough us out to rich fufillment.

Isaiah4:4

When the lord has washed away the fllth of the daughters of zion, and purged the blood of Jerusalem from her midst, by the spirit of judgement and by the spirit of burning.

Mathew 12:32

Anyone who speaks a word against the son of Man, it will be forgiven him, but whoever speaks against the holyspirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

I got countless verse abt purgatory.

I guess you're familiar with holy communion thingy.

Confession To Priest

John 20:23
If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.

JESUS was talking to his apostle and priest is the same as his apostle while we are disciples. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 11:26am On Jul 11, 2014
FrancisTony:

PURGATORY

When the lord has washed away the fllth of the daughters of zion, and purged the blood of Jerusalem from her midst, by the spirit of judgement and by the spirit of burning.

Anyone who speaks a word against the son of Man, it will be forgiven him, but whoever speaks against the holyspirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

ok I see how this can translate to mean purgatory,but there's nothing there to indicate that it refers to restitution after death. Neither does it indicate that the so called purging will occur after death. Just curious.

Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 11:29am On Jul 11, 2014
His post was very entertaining. smiley
alchemist13:
Oh dear! The level for your ignorance is only rivalled by the level of your arrogance.

1 Like

Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 11, 2014
cococandy:

It doesn't have to answer the name Purgatory.

If I may ask, what does "in an age to come" mean? Isn't it after death?
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 11:36am On Jul 11, 2014
Isn't purgatory meant to be a transit state Where the soul is kept (for lack of a better word) for purging before it begins it's heavenly journey?

If there's no forgiveness for sins against the holy spirit,then it follows that such souls be condemned to hell outrightly rather than purgatory. I think there's no link to purgatory in that verse.

The other verses,I see the connection but nothing to indicate that it is speaking of a time beyond the physical here and now.
For all we know trials and sufferings here could well be a way to achieve our atonement. For all we know that's what those verses could be about.

FrancisTony:

It doesn't have to answer the name Purgatory.

If I may ask, what does "in an age to come" mean? Isn't it after death?
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 11:42am On Jul 11, 2014
cococandy: The other verses,I see the connection but nothing to indicate that it is speaking of a time beyond the physical here and now.
For all we know trials and sufferings here could well be a way to achieve our atonement. For all we know that's what those verses could be about.

Recheck the Isaiah 4:4. It's talking about removing sins through judgement/fire.

Purgatory necessarily don't have to be a pit or house you know? undecided
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Pr0ton: 11:48am On Jul 11, 2014
FrancisTony:

PURGATORY

I guess you're familiar with holy communion thingy.

Confession To Priest

John 20:23
If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.

JESUS was talking to his apostle and priest is the same as his apostle while we are disciples. smiley
And where is it recorded in NT that people did confess
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jul 11, 2014
Pr0ton:
And where is it recorded in NT that people did confess

Was the activity of early fathers programs, recorded in the bible? undecided
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Pr0ton: 12:13pm On Jul 11, 2014
FrancisTony:

Ok.. What's the point you were trying to make? that we must still confess our sins to priests?
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jul 11, 2014
Pr0ton:
Ok.. What's the point you were trying to make? that we must still confess our sins to priests?

I wasn't trying to make any point but giving her biblical verse about it. undecided

1 Like

Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Pr0ton: 2:08pm On Jul 11, 2014
FrancisTony:

I wasn't trying to make any point but giving her biblical verse about it. undecided
Biblical verse to support? undecided
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by 5minsmadness: 2:26pm On Jul 11, 2014
FrancisTony:

@pr0ton
James 5:16, Therefore confess your sins to one another and pray for one another that you may be healed.

Combine that with Francis Tony's previous quotes.

Of course back then it was better to confess your sins to a priest as they were and still are sworn to secrecy and will not broadcast your sins to anyone else no matter the situation. Hence confidentiality was maintained.

3 Likes

Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 11, 2014
Pr0ton:
Biblical verse to support? undecided

Her question @OP! undecided
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by alchemist13: 8:53pm On Jul 11, 2014
FrancisTony:

If by 'early fathers' you mean early apostles, then yes. It was recorded in the a book aptly named The Acts of the Apostles.
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jul 11, 2014
#sign of the cross#
Hope am welcomed
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 11:59pm On Jul 11, 2014
Sure mami smiley
LyndaRoyce: #sign of the cross#
Hope am welcomed
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by classicmusic: 12:43am On Jul 12, 2014
Purgatory......Where souls in trnsit are....the last time i heard about purgatory was in holy commuion class,a long time ago....Guess people dont believe this....
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by urheme: 8:42am On Jul 12, 2014
classicmusic: Purgatory......Where souls in trnsit are....the last time i heard about purgatory was in holy commuion class,a long time ago....Guess people dont believe this....

"Holy communion class" is this Biblical?

We now go to classes to obtain certification for the bread that was initially shared from house to house!!

So what is the entrance exam like? or do you also obtain form for that?
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by 5minsmadness: 9:32am On Jul 12, 2014
urheme:

"Holy communion class" is this Biblical?

We now go to classes to obtain certification for the bread that was initially shared from house to house!!

So what is the entrance exam like? or do you also obtain form for that?

Holy communion classes are classes in which catholics learn more about the body and blood of Christ, its significance and importance in our christian faith. There are classes for every sacrament of the church, whether baptism or marriage etc.
It is not unlike the classes pentecostals have when welcoming new converts to their church. The same wayother churches have beginners classes and pastoral classes.

And no, they don't obtain certificates of any kind. Except the marriage certificate.

I'm sure even in your church you are taught about certain things in certain classes as well, not everything is done in the general congregation, right? Well its the same principle.

2 Likes

Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 10:46am On Jul 12, 2014
RoyalRoy: I do not do confessions the usual way.....non at all. My confession goes straight to God.
This is an absolute trait of a non-catholic!
Being a catholic shows you believe in the sacrament of "PENANCE and HOLY EUCHARIST".... The sacrament of penance isn't a mortal initiative, it's DIVINE.
A doctrine as old as time, this doctrine requires every christian(catholics esp) who sins after water baptism to confess in detail his/her particular sins to the priest who pronounces absolution upon the one who sins. the power to forgive sins is being given to the priest during his ordination.the forgiveness is conferred by the priest who speaks on behalf of Jesus christ by saying "Jesus forgives your sins".
The sacrament of penance is very essential to be neglected by a practicing catholic, for the scriptures says(matt 18;19), "and I give unto thee(to peter&other apostles) the keys of the kingdom of heaven,whatever thou shall bind on earth is bound in heaven;and whatever thou set loose on earth is loosed in heaven".... Those aren't the words of a mortal,they are Jesus's words, He gave the early priests(peter and the other apostles) that power of forgiveness and encouraged it to be practice from generation to generation.....
The book of John20;23 also made the sacrament more vivid to us all, it says "whoever sins ye remit,they're remitted unto them;and whoever sins ye retain,they're retained".
By careful interpretation and manipulation of these two verses,the sacrament of penance is founded.

Roman catholicism embraces orderliness and holiness. It's an abomination to receive the sacrament of the holy eucharist with a sinful soul! That's why we're urged to go for confession TO A CATHOLIC PRIEST atleast once a month.

3 Likes

Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Pr0ton: 10:49am On Jul 12, 2014
5minsmadness:
@pr0ton
James 5:16, Therefore confess your sins to one another and pray for one another that you may be healed.

Combine that with Francis Tony's previous quotes.

Of course back then it was better to confess your sins to a priest as they were and still are sworn to secrecy and will not broadcast your sins to anyone else no matter the situation. Hence confidentiality was maintained.
That still doesnt mean we must confess to mere human beings and receive forgiveness..

The greek word used for confess there also means "to admit" We admit/confess our fault to one another.. We pray for one another to get healed.. All these are the right relationship and fellowship that ought to be among believers..

It was in d OT that people have to see the priest(high) who would thn go to the second tabernacle to offer sacrifice for himself, and for the errors of the people

But when the veil of the temple rent, we all have the boldness to enter into the holiest by His blood.
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Pr0ton: 11:12am On Jul 12, 2014
@5minsmadness . Moreover, the NT states apparently that we receive the forgiveness of sins through Jesus only..

The Apostles Peter especially you deem have the power to forgive sins in John 20:23 was also the one who told Cornelius that for him to have forgiveness he had to believe in Jesus Act 10:43"...that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins."

Again.. There might be verses that support confessing sins to people(I'm talking about the NT) but none will tell you that you'll receive remission or forgiveness of sins from them.. Tho John 20:23 seems like the Apostles had the ability to forgive sins, but it doesnt command that we must confess first.. Also if you haven't woken, Paul is the least and last of all Apostles as the Bible claims. So the power to forgive isnt available anymore.

Finally.. 1Jhn 1:9(the only verse I know where confession and forgiveness are mentioned) says we are to confess to God, and He'll forgive us.

Follow the rule.. Believe in Him
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Pr0ton: 11:26am On Jul 12, 2014
You go on confessing to jobless priest.. You waste your time . You go on seeking forgiveness from priest.. You deceive yourself and nulify Jesus' forgiving power..

One thing is.. Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins.. So will your priest shed his blood for you?.. Christ has done that.. Just go before Him by faith, confess and believe Him that He has died for that very sin..
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by 5minsmadness: 11:37am On Jul 12, 2014
Pr0ton:
That still doesnt mean we must confess to mere human beings and receive forgiveness..

The greek word used for confess there also means "to admit" We admit/confess our fault to one another.. We pray for one another to get healed.. All these are the right relationship and fellowship that ought to be among believers..

It was in d OT that people have to see the priest(high) who would thn go to the second tabernacle to offer sacrifice for himself, and for the errors of the people

But when the veil of the temple rent, we all have the boldness to enter into the holiest by His blood.

The priest doesn't forgive. God forgives. The priest offers absolution.

For second bolded...it ought to be but it isn't.
The bible clearly states to confess your sins to one another and this was mentioned in the new testament not the old one. I believe the advice of the bible here is what we should follow as Christians.
Also it would be more practical to confess your sins to someone who is disposed to listen to you and offer sound advice without broadcasting your sins over the family dinner table. Hence the priest.
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by 5minsmadness: 11:39am On Jul 12, 2014
^^^ I believe the above also answers your other posts.
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Pr0ton: 12:06pm On Jul 12, 2014
5minsmadness:

The priest doesn't forgive. God forgives. The priest offers absolution.

For second bolded...it ought to be but it isn't.
The bible clearly states to confess your sins to one another and this was mentioned in the new testament not the old one. I believe the advice of the bible here is what we should follow as Christians.
Also it would be more practical to confess your sins to someone who is disposed to listen to you and offer sound advice without broadcasting your sins over the family dinner table. Hence the priest.

You believe you can be forgiven by God, but your approach to reach the forgiveness is another thing I find not Biblical..

...Doesn't 1Tim2:5 say,"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and man, the man Christ Jesus."?

Why then do we take the priest as the mediator by going to him to confess our sins?.. Is the priest that sinless to be worthy to make the so called absolution?

You make the position of Jesus useless by ur tradition.
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by 5minsmadness: 12:10pm On Jul 12, 2014
@pr0ton
James 5:16, Therefore confess your sins to one another and pray for one another that you may be healed

Pr0ton:

You believe you can be forgiven by God, but your approach to reach the forgiveness is another thing I find not Biblical..
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Pr0ton: 12:20pm On Jul 12, 2014
In case your about to requote James 5:16.. That verse only says we should admit/confess our faults/sins to another.. Yeah, but it doesnt say we should make them how mediator.. The second part says we should pray for one another.. Yeah, but it doesnt say that they may be forgiven. Rather, that they maybe healed..

Isnt it that easy to go on my knees and confess my sins to Jesus by faith for me to be forgiven?

Did Peter do absolution for Cornelius to be forgiven?

Is it ever recorded that sure thing occurd after the death of Jesus?

You putting your trust in any other thing/person(absolution/priest) is moving away from God because going straight to Jesus only is the only way to God.

Again, you nulify Christ's position by your tradition and your twisting the Bible.
Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by 5minsmadness: 2:24pm On Jul 12, 2014
Pr0ton: In case your about to requote James 5:16.. That verse only says we should admit/confess our faults/sins to another.. Yeah, but it doesnt say we should make them how mediator.. The second part says we should pray for one another.. Yeah, but it doesnt say that they may be forgiven. Rather, that they maybe healed..

Isnt it that easy to go on my knees and confess my sins to Jesus by faith for me to be forgiven?
I'm sure its easier to do this but unfortunately that's not what Christ said:

John 20:23- Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them,
and whose sins you retain are retained
Christ wouldn't have said this if he wanted the new convert or anybody for that matter to just go on his knees and ask for forgiveness by faith. That's new age thinking. And as far as I know it hasn't worked. People sin more easily now because they have no one to report to. You can commit fornication today and just go on your knees in faith and in secret and ask Jesus for forgiveness...then do the same again tomorrow. Its more difficult to do so if you know you are going to face the same priest again after you were counselled not to sin again.
Its like having a support person like in alcoholics anonymous. They found you kick the habit easier if you have someone to discuss your failed attempts with instead of trying to break the habit alone.

You putting your trust in any other thing/person(absolution/priest) is moving away from God because going straight to Jesus only is the only way to God.

Everyday I turn on the TV and see multitudes of non-catholics putting their trust in their pastors, kneeling for their pastors to pray for them, deliver them, break the chains of poverty. It has gone so far that they now label God- God of tb Joshua, God of oyedepo etc. In fact the interesting thing is most of them are no even interested in asking for their sins to be forgiven, its breakthrough from poverty to wealth they are looking for. Is that what Christ preached?

I guess their putting their trust on thier pastors will move them away from God too, just like you said.

Again, you nulify Christ's position by your tradition and your twisting the Bible.

Funny statement. You have forgotten that it was the catholic church that released the Bible to the masses with a universal interpretation before the new age churches started interpreting it the way they wanted. Now every church has its own interpretation. Who is doing the twisting?

1 Like

Re: Catholics: Come In Let's Discuss. by Ubenedictus(m): 3:30pm On Jul 12, 2014
cococandy: Share your thoughts on
Holy communion:
State of grace:
Confession to priests:
And most importantly

PURGATORY

following!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

why Are Women So Useless? / 2017 Prophecies By Dr D.K Olukoya-GO Mountain Of Fire And Miracles Ministries / Does This Make Jesus Greater Than Muhammad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.