Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,786 members, 7,827,896 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? (2147 Views)

Here Are 8 Amazing Uses Of Java! / What Level Of Java Is Required For Android Programming ? / Pros And Cons Of Java (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by asalimpo(m): 10:17am On Jul 11, 2014
why isnt java popular on the web side?
is it hosting cost or what? i know java is more secure than php more well thought out and well designed
and has a full mature web s tack for web development: jsp,servlets etc
so y folks is php,python the rave here?
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by spikesC(m): 10:41am On Jul 11, 2014
Ease of learning
Deployment cost and timeline
Most projects are really not worth the headache of Java
Most Java developers are not really interested in the web

If am a Java developer, i would stick to embedded systems

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by Nobody: 10:48am On Jul 11, 2014
zz
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by spikesC(m): 11:11am On Jul 11, 2014
rutchiekens: For u to post this rubbish means u haven't read this

www.php.net/manual/en/security.intro.php

It depends on your skills in securing a website...

I don't like java cos I don't know if its free or not. I'll rather use something I'm 99.9% sure its free.

Actually, you're the ignorant one

yes, it all depends on your skills but the development language is also a big part of security loopholes.

you dont like Java cos u don't even know what Java is and u didnt even bother to research on it

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by Nobody: 11:17am On Jul 11, 2014
zz
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by dhtml(m): 2:46pm On Jul 11, 2014
Interesting. I like the fact that most programmers that are not multi-language compliant almost want to promote their primary programming language as the best and most secure and condemn others.
I can use both java and php, but I stick to php for my own professional reasons.
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by spikesC(m): 3:09pm On Jul 11, 2014
rutchiekens:

This also means u haven't read this

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html

The development language is not a big part cos its easy to combine languages if d person has the skills.

Chai, what has that link got to do with security grin

Every programmer knows what entails in the license of use of a particular software.

The development language is not a big part, but a developer should combine languages for security reasons?
So, what are you saying then?

Oga, languages and softwares are secured on it's own.
That is why we have security bug updates. I won't even bother to post links

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by asalimpo(m): 5:51pm On Jul 11, 2014
rutchiekens: For u to post this rubbish means u haven't read this

www.php.net/manual/en/security.intro.php

I don't like java cos I don't know if its free or not. I'll rather use something I'm 99.9% sure its free.

you said d bolded speakg out of ur a*s*s.
What part of java do developers pay for? standard,microedition or enterprise edition?
Java is even open sourced.
How free dyu want it 2 be? Fedexed to ur house?

rutchiekens:

Talkg of security ,java set so many industry standards in security. Java sacrifced speed for security. The jvm is an engineerg marvel and model of techncal excellence.

@spikeC
an experienced java dev wud feel frustrated usg php. Java is simply faster thn php. Theyre java framewrks for web work too.
Naija has standardzed on php,but php isnt technically superior to other web technologies so y no usage of d alternatves?
Even c++ is used for web dev! Facebook translated a huge amount of php code to c++ for performance and economy reasons! The decision would save fb thousands of servers , and reduce heat emission by a signifcant amount.so Theres benefit to using d better technology. Though php may b faster to code in.

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by spikesC(m): 6:17pm On Jul 11, 2014
asalimpo:

Talkg of security ,java set so many industry standards in security. Java sacrifced speed for security. The jvm is an engineerg marvel and model of techncal excellence.

@spikeC
an experienced java dev wud feel frustrated usg php. Java is simply faster thn php. Theyre java framewrks for web work too.
Naija has standardzed on php,but php isnt technically superior to other web technologies so y no usage of d alternatves?
Even c++ is used for web dev! Facebook translated a huge amount of php code to c++ for performance and economy reasons! The decision would save fb thousands of servers , and reduce heat emission by a signifcant amount.so Theres benefit to using d better technology. Though php may b faster to code in.

No programming technology comes close to Java in terms of security, so lets just leave that one aside.

I have already listed the reasons why most Nigerian based developers prefer php/python over java.

Learning curve too
And advise from people.
When a beginner seeks for the first programming language to learn, people will tell them to go learn the easy ones.

I would love to learn C++, but time is not on my side right now.
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 11, 2014
zz
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by spikesC(m): 6:36pm On Jul 11, 2014
rutchiekens:

Facebook still uses php

www.en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_languages_used_in_most_popular_websites

I said its easy to combine languages cos the Backend of sites like that are written in more than one language.

Errrm, you need to get updated oo grin

Facebook has moved from that PHP you know

Have you heard of these terms: Hack, HHVM, HipHop

No be today facebook started switching ooo grin
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by asalimpo(m): 6:51pm On Jul 11, 2014
spikesC:
Learning curve too
And advise from people.

When a beginner seeks for the first programming language to learn, people will tell them to go learn the easy ones.

I would love to learn C++, but time is not on my side right now.

i think this may b d issue. The crowd factor. You start with an easier language and its hard to move up to harder languages.
But som1 tht startd on a harder language can easily cross d street to d easier side.
Soon thers an abundance of easy language folks, creatg tomorrows technology and so more ppl hav to b trained in easy languages to maintain d tech ... Then easier langs become d standard cuz thts where d labour is at. Then ppl e.g rutchiekens and co look at you strange if u aint usg easy-lang x! (bad tech drives out good tech)
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 11, 2014
zz
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by asalimpo(m): 6:57pm On Jul 11, 2014
rutchiekens:

Those terms hack is a programming language for the hhvm and hiphop is like any other php framework out there.

hiphop is a php2c++ compiler.
Think/research b4 u type.
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jul 11, 2014
zz
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by spikesC(m): 7:31pm On Jul 11, 2014
rutchiekens:

I'm a self taught C++, C#, php and javascript programmer. But I focus more on php and javascript(jquery) cos that's what puts food on the table but my C++ and C# knowledge is still beginner.

I'm currently learning Erlang for beginner purposes.

That's good. Now the question is, which one did you learn first?

I have been trying to get into C++, but because web development puts food on my table as well, i haven't been able to.

Though, i don't intend learning any other language until it becomes necessary grin

BTW, you need to up your interest in the technology world.
I think you should subscribe to all these weeklies and technology blogs. Trust me, it will help you a lot
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jul 11, 2014
zz
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by spikesC(m): 7:49pm On Jul 11, 2014
rutchiekens:

I was learning C++ first but I realised I can't just start selling C++ codes or software. So I decided to learn php and javascript.

Then I realised again that I need to know how to create software then I started C++ but naija companies prefer windows so that's how C# came up.

But I'm concentrating on C++ QT since It can run on all OS.

lol, na so e dey be for all of us oooo grin

I started with VB.NET, though i finished it.
But it seemed so irrelevant in this part of the world grin so i moved to web.

Na so projects come dey full for table ooo, na so e con dey hard to learn another language oo cheesy
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jul 11, 2014
so when has any language guaranteed security.
security is the job of the programmer, apps written in java can be as insecure as those written in php.

i write java apps and yes for the web.
the problem with it is the cost of running such apps as you may need at least a vps to get it up

on the plus side for php, a cheap shared server gets you up and running so why wont developers tilt to that direction?

php is as hard to learn as java, none is superior to the other

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by asalimpo(m): 12:02am On Jul 12, 2014
webdezzi: so when has any language guaranteed security.
security is the job of the programmer, apps written in java can be as insecure as those written in php.

the problem with it is the cost of running such apps as you may need at least a vps to get it up

on the plus side for php, a cheap shared server gets you up and running so why wont developers tilt to that direction?

different languages different design goals. No language can prevent all security breaches but some hav less loopholes thn others. Java in this case is notable compared 2 its predecessors.

-security is d job of the programmer-

creatg robust software is d job of d programmer. The language shud handle as much of d dry chores as it can without gettg in d way.
Compare:
c,c++ : no array bounds chks , programmers job. Programmer forgets some,software crashes often from stackoverflow.

Pointers allowed , malicious programmer uses pointers to read data in exclusve sections of memory. Hello,you gat yourself some spyware.
Etc
new language comes along enforces mor rigid rules, a whole class of problems dissapear!

- php is as hard to learn as java-
i and many others disagree.

If ur comparg languages on security. Note that ada is highly srtuctured and rigid ,built for us dept of defence but with security in mind.

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by spikesC(m): 12:12am On Jul 12, 2014
I don't really understand what they wanted to argue about in terms of languages and security.

More so, webdezzi suddenly came with the which-is-superior language argument.

I just gotta wait for the thread to grow a little to understand where it's heading to
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by Nobody: 1:13am On Jul 12, 2014
spikesC: I don't really understand what they wanted to argue about in terms of languages and security.

More so, webdezzi suddenly came with the which-is-superior language argument.

I just gotta wait for the thread to grow a little to understand where it's heading to

read my post again, my stand remains none is superior to the other. am talking php vs java here.

asalimpo, so java is buffer overflow proof or sql injection proof right or xss proof?

my point is, if java gets the job done, use it, if php lets you go live quickly because it is cheap off the shelf, use it

the programmer's role is to write secure code.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by spikesC(m): 1:42am On Jul 12, 2014
webdezzi:

read my post again, my stand remains none is superior to the other. am talking php vs java here.

asalimpo, so java is buffer overflow proof or sql injection proof right or xss proof?

my point is, if java gets the job done, use it, if php lets you go live quickly because it is cheap off the shelf, use it

the programmer's role is to write secure code.

oh, ok.

Well, i still have the opinion that development languages play a major part in securing applications.
I really don't know what you guys are gonna argue in that aspect but watching changelogs and updates would basically show you how security is being improved.

But i think you're more of referring to the developers' part of security, that is the human factor, and that is basically on another level.
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by dhtml(m): 3:32am On Jul 12, 2014
webdezzi: so when has any language guaranteed security.

You are on point bro, I have always found the idea of one being superior amusing and do not wish to waste my time arguing about pointless issues like this.
@op, if you can use JAVA to solve all your problems, then please go ahead, but dont try to force everyone to share your views.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by spikesC(m): 4:00am On Jul 12, 2014
dhtml:
You are on point bro, I have always found the idea of one being superior amusing and do not wish to waste my time arguing about pointless issues like this.
@op, if you can use JAVA to solve all your problems, then please go ahead, but dont try to force everyone to share your views.

I think the OP did not really intend to do a who's-better-than-who debate.
I think it was just an innocent question, seeing the trend of most web developers using more of php/python
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by dhtml(m): 4:54am On Jul 12, 2014
Oh i see, i was thinking he felt that naija developers are lazy and afraid of learning JAVA.
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by talk2hb1(m): 5:59am On Jul 12, 2014
webdezzi:
Please review this part, because that ain't true

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by asalimpo(m): 8:01am On Jul 12, 2014
@spikeC
+1 for mind readg.
Its like being in a country where every civil servant drives a honda to work when theyve all got benzes and other brands too.
So u askg- y dnt u drive benzes too it can perfectly take you there ? Most reply about hondas fuel economy per year (a bit signifcant)
Honda has automatc gear,benz is manual (ah too much work)
Etc

I think, the cost of hostg issue mayb a putoff.
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by dhtml(m): 8:57am On Jul 12, 2014
If is that one, you hear of many developers for naija looking for naija hosting company for N1,000/year.
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by Nobody: 9:45am On Jul 12, 2014
dhtml:
trust me, i hate fighting the which is better war too.

spikesC:
I think the OP did not really intend to do a who's-better-than-who debate.
I think it was just an innocent question, seeing the trend of most web developers using more of php/python

asalimpo: .
why isnt java popular on the web side?
is it hosting cost or what? i know java is more secure than php more well thought out and well designed
and has a full mature web s tack for web development: jsp,servlets etc
so y folks is php,python the rave here?

asalimpo:
you said d bolded speakg out of ur a*s*s.
What part of java do developers pay for? standard,microedition or enterprise edition?
Java is even open sourced.
How free dyu want it 2 be? Fedexed to ur house?
Talkg of security ,java set so many industry standards in security. grin Java sacrifced speed for security grin . The jvm is an engineerg marvel and model of techncal excellence.
@spikeC
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by curiouslad(m): 1:45pm On Jul 12, 2014
---
Re: Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? by asalimpo(m): 3:29pm On Jul 12, 2014
webdezzi:
trust me, i hate fighting the which is better war too.

you've quoted me outta context.

Among desktop oses, there's linux,unix,and windows.
People use windows and its popular. I use windows, but would i b controversial to say linux is more secure,stable,faster than windows?
In terms of free software options can windows stand debian?
Pound for pound?

An objectve assessment simply ranks *nux ahead of windows in some/most categories (but windows is growg too) .
Tryg to b politcal and say it aint so is livg in denial. But this doesnt mean a person can say linux is better than windows (for every one). The definition of "better" is subjectve. Windows is easier to use.
But som1 can ask , y pay for pirated windows when you can download and run linux for free?
Esp since linux can do all windows can do and much more.
Or go the lenght and experiment with other oses like solaris,minix,haiku,pc bsd etc..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Java Or .NET Guru Needed In Abuja / Programmers help me With This Problem Pls !!!!!!!!!!! / How To Can I Create Amazon Aws Account Using Nigerian Cards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.