Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? (1078 Views)

Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector / What Makes A Car Bounce? / What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? by silvoice(m): 2:35pm On Jul 11, 2014
First, a skill driver should help us differenciate between a bad driver and bad driving habits. What are bad driving habits u know? If possible, help us esplain the two concepts for beginners like us. Or are they the same thing? I don't think so.
I'v heard people talk about bad driving habits. over confidence or lack of it which is an attribute of a bad driver or driving as the case may be?
Re: What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? by silvoice(m): 6:30pm On Jul 11, 2014
silvoice: First, a skill driver should help us differenciate between a bad driver and bad driving habits. What are bad driving habits u know? If possible, help us esplain the two concepts for beginners like us. Or are they the same thing? I don't think so.
I'v heard people talk about bad driving habits. over confidence or lack of it which is an attribute of a bad driver or driving as the case may be?
it's also possible that, this is why cars tend to devolop fault with a particular driver than another, as was observed by my lanlord who said that his car goes to auto workshop at least once in every month until he changed his driver an for four months in a row, he did not consult any mech. For repair .
Re: What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? by Martini101(m): 6:58pm On Jul 11, 2014
Both at differet levels.
Re: What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jul 11, 2014
You need confidence that is attained by hours behind the wheel and experiencing diverse condition to be an accomplished driver.

Take your car onto a wet grassy football field and practice controlling it.
Re: What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? by silvoice(m): 8:56pm On Jul 11, 2014
CityNG: You need confidence that is attained by hours behind the wheel and experiencing diverse condition to be an accomplished driver.

Take your car onto a wet grassy football field and practice controlling it.
I'm not talking of learners. I'm specifically refering to how u press ur clutch, ur break, turn ur steering, enter or avoid potholes, Rev ur engine, use ur mirrors and signaling at d right time etc. In manual cars. Even auto-Transmission.
Re: What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jul 11, 2014
silvoice: I'm not talking of learners. I'm specifically refering to how u press ur clutch, ur break, turn ur steering, enter or avoid potholes, Rev ur engine, use ur mirrors and signaling at d right time etc. In manual cars. Even auto-Transmission.

That's going to be subjective subject.

Here are what I don't like personally and I question the driving maturity of whomever I observe doing it.

1) Reving up a red cold engine, especially when said vehicle is a modern fuel injected one.

2) Blipping the throttle in between gear changes, not necessary in modern cars with synchronized gears.

3) Holding a vehicle on the hill by balancing the clutch and throttle.

4) Driving with mismatched tires, the car simply won't drive or track well and will wander.

5) Driver not maintaining a line on the road though admittedly this is hard on most Nigerian roads.
Re: What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? by abatically(m): 11:26pm On Jul 11, 2014
Some bad driving habits I noticed

1. Honking of horn unnecessarily on streets or in traffic even when it is obvious the person in front of u is also stuck.

2. Speeding over zebra crossing. It is recommended to slow down when passing through a zebra crossing, and then stop for pedestrians to cross if there are any.

3. Executing a turn or switching lanes without using turn indicators or trafficators. .

4. Stopping in the middle of the road to drop or pick passengers. This is very common with danfo drivers, I wonder where these guys get their driver's license.

2 Likes

Re: What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? by silvoice(m): 11:29pm On Jul 11, 2014
CityNG:

That's going to be subjective subject.

Here are what I don't like personally and I question the driving maturity of whomever I observe doing it.

1) Reving up a red cold engine, especially when said vehicle is a modern fuel injected one.

2) Blipping the throttle in between gear changes, not necessary in modern cars with synchronized gears.

3) Holding a vehicle on the hill by balancing the clutch and throttle.

4) Driving with mismatched tires, the car simply won't drive or track well and will wander.

5) Driver not maintaining a line on the road though admittedly this is hard on most Nigerian roads.
agreed! atleast 90%. The remaining 10% can be excused based on circumstances as in no 2 , 3 and 5
Re: What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? by silvoice(m): 9:20am On Jul 12, 2014
abatically: Some bad driving habits I noticed

1. Honking of horn unnecessarily on streets or in traffic even when it is obvious the person in front of u is also stuck.

2. Speeding over zebra crossing. It is recommended to slow down when passing through a zebra crossing, and then stop for pedestrians to cross if there are any.

3. Executing a turn or switching lanes without using turn indicators or trafficators. .

4. Stopping in the middle of the road to drop or pick passengers. This is very common with danfo drivers, I wonder where these guys get their driver's license.
On point. Summarised as impatient.
Re: What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? by fyneboi79(m): 11:52pm On Jul 12, 2014
Over confidence and a lack of confidence are actually bad.One should drive with d right level of confidence with safety in mind at all times while behind the wheel.
Re: What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? by silvoice(m): 11:49am On Jul 13, 2014
fyneboi79: Over confidence and a lack of confidence are actually bad.One should drive with d right level of confidence with safety in mind at all times while behind the wheel.
u are right. Only that it's difficult 2 differenciate btw confidence and over confidence, while driving.
Re: What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? by billy187(m): 10:12pm On Jul 13, 2014
Well, I'm doing 120km +on the highway in my 2008 l4 camry se and come up behind this ford bus...to overtake? there's a blind corner up ahead noow! Then i think to myself...'ah! i overtake toyota v8 jux naw, abi ford be little pikin make I ovatake am fast fast' So you brace yourself and move into the oncoming lane to overtake. Wait, what's that sound in the sunroof? that must be your common sense escaping for its dear life! Brimming with self confidence sans common sense you floor the gas, only to meet an equally speedy Hummer 2..............

Thats overconfidence

OK so you're now driving a lion 406 v6 prestige and you catch up with a massey fegurson tractor doing approximately 10 km/hr. you want to overtake but all the grisly pictures of overtaking gone wrong cross your mind and scare u to death! So you make up your mind to stay put, never mind it being a straight road with no oncoming in sight; never mind it being a six lane dual carriageway, never mind the cattle in the tractor ahead spewing fresh diarrhoea on your bonnet! You're not overtaking!!

Thats under confidence.

Yeah, i'd be rather underconfident than dead. However ideally, common sense and experience should lead you to excercise a healthy amount of confidence and discretion.
Re: What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? by silvoice(m): 10:28am On Jul 14, 2014
billy187: Well, I'm doing 120km +on the highway in my 2008 l4 camry se and come up behind this ford bus...to overtake? there's a blind corner up ahead noow! Then i think to myself...'ah! i overtake toyota v8 jux naw, abi ford be little pikin make I ovatake am fast fast' So you brace yourself and move into the oncoming lane to overtake. Wait, what's that sound in the sunroof? that must be your common sense escaping for its dear life! Brimming with self confidence sans common sense you floor the gas, only to meet an equally speedy Hummer 2..............

Thats overconfidence

OK so you're now driving a lion 406 v6 prestige and you catch up with a massey fegurson tractor doing approximately 10 km/hr. you want to overtake but all the grisly pictures of overtaking gone wrong cross your mind and scare u to death! So you make up your mind to stay put, never mind it being a straight road with no oncoming in sight; never mind it being a six lane dual carriageway, never mind the cattle in the tractor ahead spewing fresh diarrhoea on your bonnet! You're not overtaking!!

Thats under confidence.

Yeah, i'd be rather underconfident than dead. However ideally, common sense and experience should lead you to excercise a healthy amount of confidence and discretion.

thanks, u are indeed a good teacher, by using real life situation to esplain it.

1 Like

Re: What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? by chucky234(m): 11:30am On Jul 14, 2014
silvoice: thanks, u are indeed a good teacher, by using real life situation to esplain it.
Bros na explain, no be esplain.
Re: What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? by billy187(m): 1:10pm On Jul 14, 2014
silvoice: thanks, u are indeed a good teacher, by using real life situation to esplain it.
You're welcome!
Re: What Makes A Bad Driver-over Confidence Or Lack Of Confidence? by silvoice(m): 8:14pm On Jul 14, 2014
chucky234: Bros na explain, no be esplain.
unseen hands while pinging wit nokia torch. It could happen to anybody ok?

(1) (Reply)

Help & Maintainance Tips On Nissan Serena / 2006 Toyota Sienna Computer Fan Regulator Needed. / Toyota Camry 2001 (droplight) Vs Honda Accord 2004 (end Of Discussion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.