Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,200 members, 7,811,529 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:55 PM

Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector (199798 Views)

Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations / Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? / How good is Fuel Injector Cleaners? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by Nobody: 5:13am On Feb 03, 2013
Top 5 Signs of a Bad Fuel Injector

Fuel injectors when fail can lead to a bunch of problems that can affect the engine performance. Nobody would love to come across such a snag, especially for those who have experienced the hefty repair charges from their local mechanics. There’s no substitute for replacement if the fuel injector is really bad. However, you can save other parts of the engine from getting damaged, if you manage well enough to look for the striking signs, which point towards a failing fuel injector. Here’s a list of the 5 most known signs that indicate a bad fuel injector.

Abrupt Engine Power

It is easy to understand that when a fuel injector is clogged, the fuel supply will be irregular too. With such lopsided flow, the engine will fluctuate between low and high rpm’s causing it to deliver the power in chunks, rather than being smooth and gradual.

Engine Misfire

In case when the injector keeps on struggling against the clogging of foreign particles, a time may come when it might miss out to supply the fuel completely when it is required to. Thus, the engine results to give a compromising performance. The engine will misfire which can be felt easily while driving. This is really a bad sign and requires immediate response because misfire would give rise to engine overheating and pre-igniting the fuel mixture.

Rough Idle
Damaged fuel injector will not only give weird problems while on the go, the effects will persist even when the engine is running idle. Instead of a smooth engine idle, it will be rough and irregular when the fuel supply is abrupt.

Leaking Fuel

Apart from those internal chokes, fuel injectors can turn out to be bad even due to external cracks developed on the exterior body part of the injector. This damage is common for those injectors fitted on to the intake manifold. These cracks can cause the fuel to leak from the body, rather than flowing through the nozzle, which can be seen and smelled easily. The leaking fuel, instead of being sprayed in atomized form, flows in the manifold in the form of droplets. This will cause the air fuel mixture to turn out
weak, giving out poor engine efficiency.

Reduced Gas Mileage

It is obvious, that a damaged fuel injector would either cause the fuel to be wasted by leaking from the body or would supply excessive fuel when the internal springs are damaged. These conditions will undoubtedly lead the car engine to run poor reducing the gas mileage.

Watch out for these most common signs in your car if you are suspecting the fuel injector to be faulty. Responding to these problems early can save a great amount of time and money and can also avoid damaging to other parts. Pay attention today itself and keep yourself away from paying extra for your auto repairs.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by Originalsly: 6:59pm On Feb 03, 2013
Noted

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by Nobody: 2:48am On Feb 04, 2013
How to fix faulty injectors...
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by praxisnetworks: 11:45pm On Jan 02, 2015
My thread...thug take note
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by umbo: 9:43am On Jan 03, 2015
is injector serviceable or replaceable cos of its importance in the car.its simply the heart of the engine.
pls kindly respond
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:14am On Jan 03, 2015
umbo:
is injector serviceable or replaceable cos of its importance in the car.its simply the heart of the engine.
pls kindly respond

there are both serviceable and replaceable

here UK we normally buy injector cleaner that you add to your fuel whether it works or not its debatable one big advantage we have is that our fuel is much cleaner and based on our garage we rarely find clogged injector but just a failing injector

based on what i read here i would say injectors there are damaged or clogged due to bad fuel

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by Nobody: 11:24am On Jan 03, 2015
@ umbo yes it can both be replaced and serviced just take the bad fuel injector to an Authorized mechanic and have it rectified.
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by umbo: 4:25pm On Jan 03, 2015
thanks for your prompt responses , i do value so much

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by praxisnetworks: 9:23am On Jan 10, 2015
hmmm
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by praxisnetworks: 11:14am On Jan 11, 2015
Black Smoke From Exhaust Pipe

Step by step repair guide on how to repair black smoke from the engine exhaust system. This article pertains to most non hybrid vehicles.
Difficulty Scale: 3 of 10
Tools and Supplies Needed
Fuel pressure gauge
Protective eyewear and clothing
Flashlight
Engine scanner
Begin with the car on level ground parking brake set.
Step 1 - If the check engine light has illuminated the PCM has detected a malfunction that could be causing the problem. Visit - Scan trouble codes
Step 2 - Inspect under the hood for vacuum leaks which can cause the computer to malfunction. Visit - Checking vacuum leaks

Step 3 - The fuel pressure regulator can cause raw fuel to enter the engine. Visit - Check fuel pressure regulator
Step 4 - A stuck or shorted fuel injector can allow too much fuel into the engine. Visit - Fuel injector test
Step 5 - An air intake boot is designed to transfer air from the mass air flow sensor to the throttle bore. The PCM monitors this air flow and corrects fuel injector signal input. When an air intake boot fails it causes the PCM to respond by inputting more fuel than is necessary. Visit - Air intake boot replacement

Preventive Maintenance
When a tune up is performed the spark plug insulator can inform on a lean or rich mixture. Brownish grey is the desired color and confirms proper mixture while black and sooty means the mixture is too rich and white to light grey confirms a lean mixture. Fuel injection systems rely on pressurized fuel to operate. Visit - Replace spark plugs

Maintaining this pressure is mandatory for the system to function properly. Replace your fuel filter with every tune up to keep your injection system operating properly. Visit - Fuel filter replacement

Helpful Information
Black smoke is caused when the mix of fuel and air inside the engine becomes un-balanced. Normal mixture is 14.5 parts air to1 part fuel. When the fuel to air mixtures change because of a malfunction the mixture can go as high as 14.5 to 2 or 3, two to three times the proper amount. The black smoke seen from the tail pipe is the excess fuel generated from the rich mixture. Malfunctions in fuel delivery or a leaking fuel pressure regulator will cause black smoke to be produced. The fuel injection system atomizes fuel by pushing it through a small nozzle of the fuel injector while under pressure. The computer system measures vacuum and air flow into the engine intake manifold to determine a proper amount of fuel that should be released. Airflow is controlled by the throttle body or throttle valve actuator (throttle) as fuel is distributed directly in each cylinder. The process of measuring the amount of fuel a fuel injector is dispersing is determined by the PCM (powertrain control module - computer).

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-black-smoke
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by Export1: 5:21pm On Jan 12, 2015
Clean fuel injectors are a must for peak engine performance, fuel economy and emissions. If the injectors are dirty and can't deliver their normal dose of fuel, then performance, fuel economy and emissions are all going to suffer. Dirty fuel injectors can't flow as much fuel as clean ones, and they can't they delivery the correct spray pattern that is so essential for clean, efficient combustion and the horsepower desired. The fuel feedback control system will compensate for the leaning effect once it is in closed loop, but it can't correct the underlying condition that is causing the problem.
Troubleshooting can lead you to the fuel injectors needing to be cleaned, if an engine is experiencing any of the classic symptoms of dirty injectors, such as lean misfire, rough idle, hesitation and stumbling on light acceleration, a loss of power, and higher hydrocarbon (HC) and carbon monoxide (CO) emissions. Lean misfires can cause newer systems (OBDII) to read a misfire code or multiple codes depending on the effected injector(s).
What are the Bennefits of cleaning and balancing your injectors? Its obviously will depend on the condition of the injectors prior to the cleaning. Older more "clogged" injectors will notice a much larger improvement over injectors that are less accumulation of deposits. No matter the starting condition of the injectors, an increase in performance and fuel economy will pay for the cleaning in a matter of no time. Most high-mileage engines and engines that are used mostly for short trip stop-and-go driving are the most likely prospects for injector cleaning. High performance applications are even more important to maintain and keep in balance. We recommend cleaning the injectors every 25,000 to 30,000 miles to keep them flowing at peak efficiency.

Source: http://injector-rehab.com/shop/tsclean.html
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by umbo: 9:02pm On Sep 01, 2016
good idea
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by tofolo(m): 6:31am On Sep 02, 2016
Great topic op.
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by Exponental(m): 6:42am On Sep 02, 2016
This post is over 3years. Why is it just seen? Mods should learn to put educative topics at front page rather that snakes, tonto dike and the likes...

8 Likes

Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by steffans(m): 7:50am On Sep 02, 2016
Post of 2013 makes front page in 2016..

The OP is probably banned or not alive.. With a deactivated account!

Baba God this shows that delay is not denial..

PLEASE pick up my call... Amen!

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by klassic(m): 8:01am On Sep 02, 2016
Exponental:
This post is over 3years. Why is it just seen? Mods should learn to put educative topics at front page rather that snakes, tonto dike and the likes...

You can ask qwesion for Africa. When every where was soft people just bought fuel and simply didn't concern them selves with these stuffs and even if the engine showed signs they could easily afford to fix it without bordering much on what went wrong . But these days when you buy fuel and it does not achieve the desired result you investigate . cheesy and when you engine starts giving wahala like an unruly girlfriend you wish to go online and find out what agwan cos no money to give your mechs in bulk. So you wanna know specifics.
Mod car worry am , so e do investigation.

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by eklassical(m): 8:58am On Sep 02, 2016
many Thanks for this post. i have been worried about what is happening to my car for a while. i think i just found a solution.
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by suteco16: 3:42pm On Sep 02, 2016
Okay, thanks
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by lifeoflolade: 9:07pm On Feb 09, 2018
What causes the break pedal to vibrate whenever u apply the break.
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by Flexherbal(m): 6:50am On Feb 10, 2018
Noted !
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by Aldebaran(m): 6:58am On Feb 10, 2018
Nice
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by phillips1959: 7:04am On Feb 10, 2018
Export 1 pls respond
I drive a nissan extera.D slow running is high & low. Acceleration slows down as soon as i remove my leg from d pedal but to continue it takes effort b4 d vehicle gathers speed again.Even on climbing up hill d speed & acceleration becomes noticeably difficult.What is wrong & how do i fix it.I need proffessional help.07060844883
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by diportivo: 7:11am On Feb 10, 2018
e don enta fp again after anoda 2 years

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by amojis(m): 7:21am On Feb 10, 2018
@phillips1959
I had the same problem with my Honda EOD. Took it to my mechanic and he changed my fuel pump, cleaned up the fuel filters with thinner, brought out the air filters and cleaned them then changed some bad spark plugs. When I put on the car its 'slow' became too high that he had to reduce it. It suddenly felt like a race car when cruising up or down hill!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by femi4: 8:01am On Feb 10, 2018
amojis:
@phillips1959
I had the same problem with my Honda EOD. Took it to my mechanic and he changed my fuel pump, cleaned up the fuel filters with thinner, brought out the air filters and cleaned them then changed some bad spark plugs. When I put on the car its 'slow' became too high that he had to reduce it. It suddenly felt like a race car when cruising up or down hill!!!
You need to adjust the engine rev, your mechanic tampered with its control. You might need a new engine soon
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by usba: 8:07am On Feb 10, 2018
Seems like many nairalanders no get car just big mouth to insult all over the place.

3 Likes

Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by DjAndroid: 8:31am On Feb 10, 2018
steffans:
Post of 2013 makes front page in 2016..

The OP is probably banned or not alive.. With a deactivated account!

Baba God this shows that delay is not denial..

PLEASE pick up my call... Amen!

It has made front-page again in 2018 yet still at one page
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by mrmadu099: 2:42pm On Feb 10, 2018
the best way to manage your account
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by jjswizz20: 5:53pm On Feb 10, 2018
ZIMDRILL:

there are both serviceable and replaceable

here UK we normally buy injector cleaner that you add to your fuel whether it works or not its debatable one big advantage we have is that our fuel is much cleaner and based on our garage we rarely find clogged injector but just a failing injector

based on what i read here i would say injectors there are damaged or clogged due to bad fuel

Fuel injectors do work, especially Abro. I once tried it and it worked.
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by olicgad: 9:42pm On Mar 29, 2018
CALL ME FOR SERVICING OF YOUR TRUCKS INJECTOR AND NOZZLE AT LOW PRICE. MY WORKSHOP IS AT NNPC DEPOT EJIIGBO LAGOS 08149562895
Re: Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector by DDm1agJ: 10:19pm On Mar 30, 2018
How to fix faulty injectors...

(1) (Reply)

The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread / What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively / Help.my Honda Crv Drive "d" Indicator Light Blinks (Now solved)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.