Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,046 members, 7,810,866 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:21 PM

Reasons To Quit Facebook - By Chris Chan - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Reasons To Quit Facebook - By Chris Chan (2794 Views)

3 Reasons To Get A UK Used Device / Customers Threaten To Quit Skye Bank Over Network Failure / 100 Reasons To Jailbreak Your Iphone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons To Quit Facebook - By Chris Chan by DeepSight(m): 4:10pm On Jul 11, 2014
Facebook was a great tool. Sadly, it no longer is and it will not be anymore.

Among my peers, I was the first person to create a Facebook profile back in 2007 when social media just gained ground. I was able to use Facebook to connect with some of my long lost peers - friends, relatives, classmates. The power of Facebook at that time was to find those whom you lost contact. It was a great tool, and because of it I was able to organize many re-unions and gatherings. I used it daily, hourly, frequently.

Would you like to participate in psychological experiments without your consent?

Slowly, though, Facebook changes its purpose to me. People started sharing enormous amount of pictures - monthly baby pictures, exotic vacation spots, expensive stuff they purchased, celebs they met. It becomes a giant garbage bin with information I have no interest in or even knowing about. And then there is the News feed (here is the recent controversial psychological experiment using news feed). I got bombarded with tons of advertisements from pages I 'liked', links I have clicked on (even outside Facebook). Also, when you have Facebook installed on your phone, you constantly wants to check even if you have no new messages. You have the tendency to reply a short message here and there. This keeps an endless vicious loop of checking, waiting and replying. Although each time you reply a message it only takes a few seconds, every second adds up and soon I found myself wasting hours every day on Facebook 'activities'. The messaging feature, of course, eventually led to the prominent rise of WhatsApp and Facebook's purchase of the startup since they are such a match made in heaven.

Do you trust a hacker to safeguard your personal data?

The tipping point for me was the privacy issue of Facebook, which I won't get into detail as most of you are well familiar with how your pictures (or pictures containing you) are shared on the public web without your consent. As a professional working with organizations handling vast amount of highly sensitive and private data, I know how important it is to safeguard customer's data. I have nothing against Mark Zuckerberg, the founder and CEO of Facebook. In fact I admire he and his wife's philanthropic endeavor of donating millions of dollars to charity to fix schools in California and New Jersey in the U.S. This is such a noble thing for a couple to do even when they are already millionaires. However, you should realize that Mark is by heart 100% hacker himself all the way back in his Harvard days, and I have no desire to hand my personal data to a hacker so he can employ a team of hackers to sell my data to advertisers. Just because Facebook obtain your personal information and social network profile doesn't mean they can use these data and take advantage of all those private information. Just locking up your profile and set everything to private is not enough to shield yourself from personal data being mined by Facebook.

It’s really important that people understand that there are computational techniques that will reveal all kinds of information about you that you’re not aware that you’re sharing - Jennifer Golbeck

Recently two TED talk lecturers, computer scientist Jennifer Golbeck and privacy economist Alessandro Acquisti, reveal the fact that we are sharing much more online that you think (videos of their talks can be found by following the link). Those information you already shared might one day be used against you, with or without your consent, and either legally or illegally. When you share information online, you are basically giving up rights to those data. Every site uses our data to a certain extent, but Facebook does it much more secretively and aggressively than other social networking sites. Facebook treats users as products and not customers. Their customers are marketers and advertisers trying to sell us their products or services!

Since then I deleted my Facebook profile completely and permanently.

With the time gained, I am able spend more time talking to people face to face. I am able to pursue professional certification for my career; read more; go to the countryside during weekends to exercise and to take in fresh air. For the record, I love social media and I use LinkedIn, Twitter and Wordpress frequently to share with my followers many useful, insightful and meaningful articles and thoughts. I believe the internet is a powerful tool capable of making us more informed and being more innovative with our lives. With the right tools we can empower ourselves. It is about time for you and your loved ones to re-evaluate your time spent on the most popular social network.

----

Chris Chan is currently a Project Manager/Client Adviser for Inova Software in New York City.
Re: Reasons To Quit Facebook - By Chris Chan by DeepSight(m): 4:21pm On Jul 11, 2014
One really has to be careful and thoughtful about social media.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons To Quit Facebook - By Chris Chan by texanomaly(f): 6:31pm On Jul 11, 2014
Hmmm...

I have been seriously considering deleting mine. It just seems too dangerous anymore.

Think about all we do online though. Things like online banking and online bill pay. We can check out multiple accounts; checking, savings, credit cards....and list goes on and on. We do almost everything online anymore. These sites say they are safe, but if a good hacker wants in, they will get in somehow. Then there are sites that sell your info.

Where do we draw the line? The world is becoming more and more technologically oriented. Even small children are using technology regularly.

How do we protect ourselves, when eventually every part of our lives that used to be on paper or done personally, will be viewed and/or typed on smaller and smaller screens.

How do we protect ourselves, in that reality, when anything can be taken and spread all over the World Wide Web for anyone to see, to alter, to steal and to exploit?

How do we protect ourselves from hackers and scammers that become more and more ingenious every day? It seems before long living "off the grid" will be impossible. Soon enough there will be no delete or off switch.

undecided

1 Like

Re: Reasons To Quit Facebook - By Chris Chan by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jul 11, 2014
Deleted? LOL and that makes you think your info is safe? grin They gained complete access the moment you joined-in, nothing is truly deleted..It's only a shadow of "deleting" grin

1 Like

Re: Reasons To Quit Facebook - By Chris Chan by DZTech: 9:18pm On Jul 11, 2014
doubleDx: Deleted? LOL and that makes you think your info is safe? grin They gained complete access the moment you joined-in, nothing is truly deleted..It's only a shadow of "deleting" grin
Guy is right.
He deleted, but uses linkedin, wordpress, twitter.
lol
The only way you can delete your info is to call the company, quote relevant legalese and demand your info is 'hard wiped' and all associated/affiliate companies be contacted to do the same.
Cos once it's with an affiliate, facebook will only wipe what's on their server.
Then get your info from linkedin, wordpress and twitter! hehehe. wink
Ooh, ooh, almost forgot-
You then go through all your contacts, their contacts and their contacts to make sure you're not 'tagged' in photos, messages, chats, articles, any papers/journals you've written in the past, the article we just read which will be quoted on facebook, etc. shocked
PHEW!
The guy neva stat.

1 Like

Re: Reasons To Quit Facebook - By Chris Chan by initialize(m): 9:21pm On Jul 11, 2014
I left Facebook since to face my book. I don know my priorities tey tey.
Re: Reasons To Quit Facebook - By Chris Chan by InesQor(m): 9:55pm On Jul 11, 2014
texanomaly: Hmmm...

I have been seriously considering deleting mine. It just seems too dangerous anymore.

Think about all we do online though. Things like online banking and online bill pay. We can check out multiple accounts; checking, savings, credit cards....and list goes on and on. We do almost everything online anymore. These sites say they are safe, but if a good hacker wants in, they will get in somehow. Then there are sites that sell your info.

Where do we draw the line? The world is becoming more and more technologically oriented. Even small children are using technology regularly.

How do we protect ourselves, when eventually every part of our lives that used to be on paper or done personally, will be viewed and/or typed on smaller and smaller screens.

How do we protect ourselves, in that reality, when anything can be taken and spread all over the World Wide Web for anyone to see, to alter, to steal and to exploit?

How do we protect ourselves from hackers and scammers that become more and more ingenious every day? It seems before long living "off the grid" will be impossible. Soon enough there will be no delete or off switch.

undecided
I quit FB a couple of years ago and I haven't looked back. Best decision, honestly.

(1) (Reply)

..genuine Unlock R206 Vodafone Pocket Wifi ( Use All Network Operators ) / New Arrivals Nokia E7,nokia E75,E71,N86,N97,E5 For Sale / Mobile Power Bank For Laptops Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.