Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,372 members, 7,819,341 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

What's Wrong With Spellings Nowadays? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's Wrong With Spellings Nowadays? (879 Views)

What's Wrong With This School Sign Post? -(photo) / What Is Wrong With This Pix Of Secondary School Student / What's Wrong With Cramming To Pass? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Wrong With Spellings Nowadays? by papindinho(m): 5:50pm On Jul 11, 2014
Nobody is perfect though but it has been more like a trait or call it a culture the way people mis-spell words nowadays.

First, it was lose and loose then I've started seeing chose being mis-used as choose. Their and there later joined the team. Whatever happened to good reading though. The most disheartening part is that, these spelling errors are made by some of the epistle writers too who are avid readers and writers and that's sure going to influence some of their readers' spelling habit.

Some designers keep abusing the two words too. I could remember seeing I've got nothing to loose boldly written on a shirt. Gosh! That ought to be lose. And that's how it continues growing viral...

Urrgh

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With Spellings Nowadays? by papindinho(m): 5:57pm On Jul 11, 2014
lose - /luːz/
verb
1. be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something).
2. become unable to find (something or someone).
3. fail to win (a game or contest).
4. earn less (money) than one is spending or has spent.
5. waste or fail to take advantage of (time or an opportunity).

And loose- /lo͞os/
adjective
1. not firmly or tightly fixed in place; detached or able to be detached.
2. (of a garment) not fitting tightly or closely.
3. relaxed; physically slack.
verb
1. set free; release.

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With Spellings Nowadays? by papindinho(m): 6:01pm On Jul 11, 2014
The words loose and lose are mixed up in writing; for some reason, many people write loose when they really mean lose.
But there’s no reason to lose your mind worrying about this, just lose the extra o!

Loose
Loose is an adjective, the opposite of tightor contained.
My shoes are loose
I have a loose tooth
There’s a dog running loose in the
street

Lose
Lose is a verb that means to suffer the loss of, to miss.
I win! You lose!
Don’t lose your keys
I never lose bets.

The Bottom Line
Simple carelessness leads people to write loose when they mean lose. Just remember that lose has one o, and loose has two. Start with loose, lose an o, and what do you get? Lose!

www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/blog/english-mistakes/loose-vs-lose/
Re: What's Wrong With Spellings Nowadays? by papindinho(m): 6:08pm On Jul 11, 2014
THERE
There is the opposite of Here. It means “in that place” not here.
A: Where is my book? – B: It’s over there.

I will look for a hotel to stay when I arrive there.
There is/There are = to show that
something exists.
There is a book on the table
There are many countries in Europe.

THEIR
Their is a possessive adjective which is used before a noun. It shows possession, that
something belongs to them.

Their house is big.

All of their friends were crazy.

The children put their books in their school bags.
Re: What's Wrong With Spellings Nowadays? by papindinho(m): 6:09pm On Jul 11, 2014
Choose is the present tense and chose remains the past tense of choose.

Learning continues...

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With Spellings Nowadays? by Edwardhead(m): 7:08am On Jul 15, 2014
Hmmm, english teaser
Re: What's Wrong With Spellings Nowadays? by jaryeh(m): 8:09am On Jul 15, 2014
Nice one boss!

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With Spellings Nowadays? by Dygeasy(m): 10:17am On Jul 15, 2014
Edwardhead: Hmmm, english teaser
it's no teaser. It is opening your mind to learn and master the basics.
Re: What's Wrong With Spellings Nowadays? by Nobody: 11:28am On Jul 15, 2014
Dygeasy: it's no teaser. It is opening your mind to learn and master the basics.
People don't want to be correct or corrected. This language brings all of us especially in Nigeria together but when one doesn't have that hang...there will be misunderstanding. Or name calling!

Its is different from it's. Fully well...it's full well. One of my friend ...it's one of my friends. has/ have being is wrong..
use been.
Re: What's Wrong With Spellings Nowadays? by Ifyx(m): 11:52am On Jul 15, 2014
nice 1 there @Papindinho

#following
Re: What's Wrong With Spellings Nowadays? by papindinho(m): 4:16pm On Jul 15, 2014
Ifyx: nice 1 there @Papindinho

#following
boss na you o..
Re: What's Wrong With Spellings Nowadays? by papindinho(m): 4:18pm On Jul 15, 2014
Edwardhead: Hmmm, english teaser
lol... You don follow me reach here? Dygeasy no mind Edward o. He's a teasing geezer....lol
Re: What's Wrong With Spellings Nowadays? by pickabeau1: 9:20pm On Jul 15, 2014
nice one.. another one that kills people is
off and of
leave n live
seated n 'sitted'

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With Spellings Nowadays? by papindinho(m): 6:18pm On Jul 16, 2014
pickabeau1: nice one.. another one that kills people is
off and of
leave n live
seated n 'sitted'

very true

(1) (Reply)

Health Administration / OOU Closure: Painful But Inevitable Decision- OGSG / Why Go To School When The Internet Can Teach Everything

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.