Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,690 members, 7,955,593 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:08 AM

Poetry: Again By Sanchez01 (I Need Help From Nairalanders) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poetry: Again By Sanchez01 (I Need Help From Nairalanders) (642 Views)

I Need Urgent Help From A Story Writer / I Need Help From A Proffessional Script Writer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Poetry: Again By Sanchez01 (I Need Help From Nairalanders) by Sanchez01: 7:23am On Jul 12, 2014
Hello Nairalanders, I need your help in nominating my poem in an on-going poetry contest. Please kindly help in nominating and commenting on what makes the poem special and how it pokes at the society. The title of the poem is 'AGAIN'

AGAIN

I stood in awe
To gaze at the man who starve my generation
There I stood speechless at the man of the nation;
Waving his hands, I hoisted like a tragic flaw,
“My era marked the beginning of equality before the law!”
This same man promised me emancipation and a free nation
Yet, all he ever gave my people was nothing but sheer starvation

The naïve crowd jeered our hero of maw,
As he gets set to read what seems a citation;
“Today I stand before you a blood relation,
With dignity I served like a carpenter’s saw…”
Within my mind I could not help but draw –
The achievements of this brute of frustration,
Who has come again to deny us our reasonable ration.

Theme and Analysis
Again is a poem that focuses on the lies and the wide gap between the masses and their acclaimed messiahs. The poem is a social satire because it pokes at the hypocrisy demonstrated by the masses and their trusted politicians. While the politicians are entrusted with certain tasks by being elected into office; they seek to satisfy their greed while they lie to the very people who trust them that they have been working effectively for the purpose of which they were elected. The masses, amidst their anguish and sufferings on the other hand, celebrate their delegates knowing fully well that they have not been duly represented and the promises made by these politicians have not come close to fulfilment. The masses pretend to be duly contented by cheering their leaders, probably out of fear, while the leaders entrusted with human responsibilities gratify themselves and still pose to be the heroes they are not. The poem pokes at the politicians who come back to their people seeking re-election into office after failing to make much of an impression in their first tenure. While the social satire might be common in every part of the world, the focus of the poem itself is Nigeria; a country where politicians fail the people and still come to them seeking to serve them again.

Rhyme Scheme
AGAIN, though a social satire, has a political undertone that plagues our immediate environment from time to time. The poem is a sonnet of two stanzas; with the ABBAABB ABBAABB rhyme scheme. The rhyme scheme projects the tonality and the rhythmic flow of the poem, making it interesting, even as it treats a serious issue.

Figures of Speech
The dominant figure of speech in the poem is invective; a figure of speech that deals with the act of insulting. The use of invective is a deliberate attempt to show the disgust the persona feels towards politicians who strive on the ignorance of the wretched masses who feel nothing but praise and adoration towards their leaders after being deceived. Thus, in referring to the cheat of a politician as a brute (thug) of frustration, the persona acknowledges that the masses have been pushed overboard by their thieving leaders, with no hope of a better tomorrow. Another figure of speech used in the poem is simile. The use of simile in the poem is to liken or create an imagery/mental picture of what the scenario being described is best referred to. Hence, when the politician gives his citation and claims that ‘he had served with dignity like a carpenter’s saw’ – he helps create an imagery of a carpenter’s saw cutting through woods and planks; the one purpose for which it was created.

To nominate and comment on the poem, please visit; http://www.pensheart.com/again/#respond. I really need your help. Thanks!
Re: Poetry: Again By Sanchez01 (I Need Help From Nairalanders) by Sanchez01: 7:25am On Jul 12, 2014
Mods, please help cry cry
Re: Poetry: Again By Sanchez01 (I Need Help From Nairalanders) by Smartsyn(m): 7:30am On Jul 12, 2014
OK,

and Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Poetry: Again By Sanchez01 (I Need Help From Nairalanders) by Sanchez01: 7:32am On Jul 12, 2014
Smartsyn: OK,

and Goodluck.
Thanks! cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Dvd Video Study For Education, Certifications & Skills (watch, Listen & Learn) / Speaking To The Dead / My Crush

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.