Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,187 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. (66986 Views)

‘Tom And Jerry’ Relationship Between Igbo And Yoruba ~ Azuka Onwuka / Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by shizzle11(m): 4:45pm On Jul 14, 2014
Missy89: Africans are obsessed with their tribes as if it matters. Comparing themselves to the Germans, French etc really? grin and always b1tching about irrelevant achievements that hasn't saved them from abject poverty and misery ravaging their continent
Do you actually know the meaning of the word compare?
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Sloan: 4:45pm On Jul 14, 2014
rugged7: 3 million igbos dead and 20 pounds to re-start your life is really genocidal and criminal.
That is where the problem between the igbos and yorubas lie.
BUT, Igbos have done splendidly well since then, all things considered.
We-the igbo should forgive.... but NEVER forget.
I think bitterness and hate serves no beneficial purpose.
Nd' igbo should reach for the skies, cos their future is written in the stars...

Keep deceiving yourself!

3 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jul 14, 2014
filiks:

Son, since I started raising kids, I've learnt to identify them by sight, words or actions, and to forgive them and direct them so they can become better people. So I forgive you, kid.

My father is long gone, I buried him so many years ago. He passed on after I graduated from the university. Get it? How old are you by the way?
Age?
Certainly I am not your coeval .You must know in life for every action there is a reaction often worse than the action. If you stir a hornet's nest you will get stung.The reason you are now talking about your dead father is because you spoke out of turn. You disrespect anyone you can be sure you will get a lot worse back in return. Like I said before I did not direct any personal remarks at you before you started to "show" yourself. Hopefully you will learn some self restraint.
I am not your kid so don't call me- kid, so that your kids do not perish in an untimely way.

3 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Humblebloke(m): 4:58pm On Jul 14, 2014
Blockus:

Heheheheee..

Enlighten me huh?! grin Good one.. How about you give it a shot. I will take off my sacarstic front and indulge you if you can put out enough solid points to warrant my indulgence.

And I have no hate in me. Why hate on something or someone for being something that is above their ability to change.

Aiit then... Its best to give it a rest...

MOVE ON...face d future

With dis sort of attitude...Nigeria wil neva b a better place.

2 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Missy89(f): 5:03pm On Jul 14, 2014
shizzle11:
Do you actually know the meaning of the word compare?
filiks:

In the post I read, the author did not compare, but likened the tribes to Germany and France. I'm sure you can tell the difference.

comparing or likened what difference does it make?
going on and on about what really doesn't matter is just ridiculous

[b]My close study of the Igbo and the Yoruba makes me see them as the Germans and the French of Nigeria respectively.

Even the Igbo language is like the German language in many respects. In German and Igbo, there are no silent words. Excluding a few words in Germans which are sounded differently from the way the English sound theirs (like “j” which is pronounced like “y,” “w” which is pronounced as “v,” etc), whatever you say in both languages is what you write. For example, the “g” is always pronounced /g/ in Igbo and German and
never as “j.” “Danke” and “obante” are pronounced as written.
But in French and Yoruba, what you say may be different from how you write it. Some letters are either silent or semi-silent. For example, the
Yoruba and the French would pronounce “san” as if it were “saw,” or “son,” but the Igbo and Germans would pronounce it /san/: exactly the
way it is spelt. Also, the “h” is usually silent or glossed over in French and Yoruba: Hospital or Kehinde. The Igbo and the German are bullish and
technology-minded. They have fought and lost wars but staged successful comebacks in a short time. Conversely, the Yoruba and the French are subtle and supercilious, with good administrative skills, regaling in their years of history and culture. A country that has such two success-driven ethnic groups should be at a great advantage.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Blockus: 5:05pm On Jul 14, 2014
Humblebloke:

Aiit then... Its best to give it a rest...

MOVE ON...face d future

With dis sort of attitude...Nigeria wil neva b a better place.

A Man who forgets his past, has only set himself up for failure in the future.

Move on: Until we fix the Past, there can be no future.

With this sort of sweeping everything under the rug and moving forward like its all good, we are definitely bound to fall back into the same shiit that we found ourselves in the past.

Thats why every Nation that has experienced similar type of situations of conflicts between two or more sides have always had what they call 'reconcilation panels' where everyone tells the truth, apologise, those to be punished face the punishment and together, holding hands they progress. Rwanda did it, South Africa did it, e.t.c. Nigeria held the same under the chairmanship of the Late Justice Chukwudifu Oputa and some Nigerians who were key in that conflict and more decided not to show up.

Do you really think its as easy as sweeping it under the rug and moving on?!

Thats why we are still where we are today.

2 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by eaglechild: 5:07pm On Jul 14, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: Igbo parents should stop planting the seed of hatred in their children.
Pls can you explain.
Are you an Igbo parent?
Have you been planting the seed of hatred in your children?

2 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by filiks(m): 5:09pm On Jul 14, 2014
iwonbaoko: Age?
Certainly I am not your coeval .You must know in life for every action there is a reaction often worse than the action. If you stir a hornet's nest you will get stung.The reason you are now talking about your dead father is because you spoke out of turn. You disrespect anyone you can be sure you will get a lot worse back in return. Like I said before I did not direct any personal remarks at you before you started to "show" yourself. Hopefully you will learn some self restraint.
I am not your kid so don't call me- kid, so that your kids do not perish in an untimely way.

I'm sorry son, but I didn't mean to hurt your feeling. You quoted me, I told you I don't converse at that level(I didn't even define your level but I guess you took another look at your statement and judged yourself), so you decided to curse.
I forgave you and I forgive you still. Why are you still talking to me? Of course your not my kids, my kids respect older people. Go and sin no more, kid.

2 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by UpLoyo: 5:18pm On Jul 14, 2014
We are all Nigerians first before we are anything else; just like you are a human being first before you notice the skin color. I could care less what you tribe you are from as long as you are human, that's all that should count. I will take a bullet for my friends regardless of tribe because I know they'll do the same for me. That's my God given choice that i chose to exercise, and if you can't see beyond your nose that's equally your choice as well.
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Damyion(m): 5:20pm On Jul 14, 2014
Femiii: lol....jst can't help it, laughing hard.i love nairaland peeps
we love u too... Hehe

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by shizzle11(m): 5:21pm On Jul 14, 2014
Missy89:
comparing or likened what difference does it make?
going on and on about what really doesn't matter is just ridiculous
]
The author of the article never compared Igbos to Germans neither did he compare yorubas to the French, like someone rightly pointed out, he only likened them accordingly, however this is not the essence of the thread, so lets move on....cheers
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by oluamid(m): 5:22pm On Jul 14, 2014
Blockus:

With this sort of sweeping everything under the rug and moving forward like its all good, we are definitely bound to fall back into the same shiit that we found ourselves in the past.

Thats why every Nation that has experienced similar type of situations of conflicts between two or more sides have always had what they call 'reconcilation panels' where everyone tells the truth, apologise, those to be punished face the punishment and together, holding hands they progress. Rwanda did it, South Africa did it, e.t.c. Nigeria held the same under the chairmanship of the Late Justice Chukwudifu Oputa and some Nigerians who were key in that conflict and more decided not to show up.

Most of the current generation of young Nigerians were not alive during the civil war so I don't see why they should be blamed or held responsible for what happened some 40something years ago. We should just move on already and start fixing our country.

2 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:23pm On Jul 14, 2014
eaglechild:
Pls can you explain.
Are you an Igbo parent?
Have you been planting the seed of hatred in your children?
I'm speaking from experience.

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:25pm On Jul 14, 2014
Ebe ka Peppyluv gara kembe Saturday?
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by lekkie073(m): 5:25pm On Jul 14, 2014
Blockus:

You see why we hate Yoruba people. angry

You cant even accept responsibility for your actions. angry

Ifto say na beer palour we dey when you talk this thing, by now, you for dey find Chamist to treat you for 'head busting'. angry
na so ojukwu make mouth till ordinary hunters in ore hold am to a stalemate

8 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Humblebloke(m): 5:28pm On Jul 14, 2014
Blockus:

I don't think so.... The reason we are backwards is due to sheer GREEDINESS AND TRIBALISM.

Maybe if we sweep things under the rug like some developed countries did(i wouldn't wanna mention names)... Then we can forge ahead
Blockus:

I don't think so.... The reason we are backwards is due to sheer GREEDINESS AND TRIBALISM.

Maybe if we sweep things under the rug like some developed countries did(i wouldn't wanna mention names)... Then we can forge ahead
Blockus:

2 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by mdsagir90(m): 5:50pm On Jul 14, 2014
I just dey pass
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Aitee1: 5:52pm On Jul 14, 2014
ROTFLMAO grin
ShirelleBaby: WHO IS WIN?brother,I give up!!
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by asadike(f): 5:52pm On Jul 14, 2014
abeg which kind tom nd jerry relationship?who dey compare fresh air wit roten beans? So ndi igbo they talk,d people widely known 4 dirtiness and laziness dey come out 2. Dem dey evn showcase their dirty lifestyle 4 their movies. Shameless bunch. If u wil join a bus filed wit dis people, pls make sure u ar wit a good hanky 4 better nose coverin. Thk u.

4 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by SurePresident: 5:53pm On Jul 14, 2014
mainman7: These diametrically demented cacophonous toilet tissues called igbos always ululating about the Great Yorubas. Nya miri Gwongworos! Ojukwu, your acclaimed igbo lord and the greatest igbo of all time was a coward just like every other igbo and he took to his heels dressed as a female (What an height of cowardice!). The fact that igbos are fools is highly substantiated and corroborated by the fact that someone that deceived millions of igbos into being slaughtered like chickens in Biafran war (who himself ran away dressed like a woman) was being celebrated when he came back. Also during Abacha regime of tyranny, coward Ojukwu kept his mouth shut throughout. He only found his voice again when OBJ became the president. Before they left, the Colonial British Army rightly observed, that the Yorubas are the most militarily intelligent in Nigeria, especially when it comes to developing disastrously destructive military strategies. "Brain is better than brawn" Biafra was actually initially winning the war (igbos read your own history) until the Great Awolowo(a typical Yoruba Man), the ununiformed General, stepped in on the side of Nigeria and came up with the intelligent military strategy that gave Nigeria Victory over Biafra. "In warfare it's all fair". You know that Hausas only hear go! Just give the military order, they'll carry it out to the letter. Even long after Biafra had surrendered, the killing of igbos continued untill Awolowo, the greatest Nigerian Generalissimo of all time, intervened again and told the Military to allow the remaining igbos to be alive. So, you senseless igbo mofos still have the to thank the Yorubas today, understand?! "Next time you see a Yoruba man, duff your hat and bow before him!"
Period!

2 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by mideoti(f): 5:55pm On Jul 14, 2014
Nice write up You've got there, But one situation I have is with those individuals you made mention of, I believe they achieved their goals based on personal struggle to aim high and not about tribal competitiveness.
Nice one though
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by EMFF: 6:09pm On Jul 14, 2014
A very insightful article by Azuka onwuka. I read it sometimes ago in punch newspaper
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by phemmylink(m): 6:09pm On Jul 14, 2014
MillionDollars: I'd rather say its ppinky and the brain relationship!!

Na Igbo b pinky?
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by ron5ke: 6:12pm On Jul 14, 2014
lekkie073: na so ojukwu make mouth till ordinary hunters in ore hold am to a stalemate
grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Jhosh(m): 6:16pm On Jul 14, 2014
Abeg mikel is 4rm which tribe?..Chisos ! Iqbo?
..... HAS MIKEL .
YORUBA HAS BABATUNDE !
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jul 14, 2014
Missy89: Africans are obsessed with their tribes as if it matters. Comparing themselves to the Germans, French etc really? grin and always b1tching about irrelevant achievements that hasn't saved them from abject poverty and misery ravaging their continent

Bwahhahahaha

The emotional junk of an article by whoever the idi.otic author is had me laughing when I first read the tosh. Yet dumb people who prefer massaging their non-existent egos, rather than dealing with reality, commended an article with a purpose for emotional sentiments.

I still don't know why these harp on about useless competition that is non-existent based on lack of achievements. Heck, a poster also posited that a Yoruba and Igbo country would be the best on the planet - this is just lunacy! grin The two groups can't even co-exist without one ranting about being industrious based on having corner-shops like rag-headed Paki's as an achievement, and the other claiming pseudo-sophistication to mask its docility. They have never even agreed on anything since Nigeria was created - yet these plonkers want to feed off useless emotions for a non-existent unity. The holy-grail is that both groups hide under that Southern nonsense - with an enemy up North with a born-to-rule mentality. Once you take that "enemy" out - it'll be free-for-all, and Somalia beckons.

These Nigerian educated illiterates bore me to sleep all the time - freaking simpletons.

4 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jul 14, 2014
hbpeze: all i no is that igbos survive anywere in this planet even on alien planet
the Yorubas make them survive. We give them work to do.

3 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by TYlicious(f): 6:39pm On Jul 14, 2014
I am a yoruba girl and d bulk of my friends esp guys are Igbo. shocked .I lyk d igbo language (can't speak it doe) I can deal with that,a lot of us keep friends frm d oda tribe depending on which we belong but truth be told our parents have sown d seed of discord lyk sum1 rightly said. U can imagine an elderly family member asking why I keep Igbo friends
Dat aside I still don't understand why some pple are clamouring for apology by yoruba tribe.Awolowo is dead so is Ojukwu,who will spearhead the 'Apology commitee' and deliver the apology address? who will welcome the apology commitee and accept it on behalf of d Igbos? What we can do is 4give and 4get as individuals.
The situation on ground is way serious than the superiority clash btw Igbos and Yorubas so we can all take a chill pill and just show luv 'stead of harmful exchange of words cos Nigeria needs us more dan ever.

2 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by njoku10(m): 6:55pm On Jul 14, 2014
Please How Do I Post An Important Thing That Has Just Happen In Naraland
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by tuffgongjo(m): 7:10pm On Jul 14, 2014
Rilamaka: This post almost brought tears to my eyes as I was once in love with a yoruba corper. Distance played a major factor but we are still very good friends.

I think the good relationship between the Igbos and Yorubas surpasses the bad relationship, because the bad relationship seems to exist solely on social media platform, while Igbo - Yoruba forged relationships are raking in millions everyday, this is evident in our Nigeria entertainment industry.

Only sad, hateful, failed people tend to curse each other out on social media.
I feel your pain,d only woman I ever love was taken away from me by her family because I A̶̲̥̅♏ a yoruba boy#empathy

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by tuffgongjo(m): 7:13pm On Jul 14, 2014
Ojukwu is dead so also is Awolowo,if there was no coup$civil war,hunger strategy won't have taken place.so I think we all should apologize to each other$move on.let us build a better,stronger$greater naija #peace

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by anonymous6(f): 7:19pm On Jul 14, 2014
TYlicious: I am a yoruba girl and d bulk of my friends esp guys are Igbo. shocked .I lyk d igbo language (can't speak it doe) I can deal with that,a lot of us keep friends frm d oda tribe depending on which we belong but truth be told our parents have sown d seed of discord lyk sum1 rightly said. U can imagine an elderly family member asking why I keep Igbo friends
Dat aside I still don't understand why some pple are clamouring for apology by yoruba tribe.Awolowo is dead so is Ojukwu,who will spearhead the 'Apology commitee' and deliver the apology address? who will welcome the apology commitee and accept it on behalf of d Igbos? What we can do is 4give and 4get as individuals.
The situation on ground is way serious than the superiority clash btw Igbos and Yorubas so we can all take a chill pill and just show luv 'stead of harmful exchange of words cos Nigeria needs us more dan ever.

I'm a yoruba female to and Sorry to say this but this igbo vs. yoruba fiasco is getting pathetic but I need to say something from what you mentioned, the yoruba's don't need to say sorry to anybody. When the war was going on each tribe had their agenda. Ojukwu was representing his tribe and knew the benefits and disadvantages with his decision and Awolowo was defending his tribe and knew the benefits and disadvantages for his agenda. If some igbo's want a apology they need to get it from the Hausa's cause the way I see it, it was a Hausa vs. Igbo War and others tribes got dragged into it, and got forced to defend themselves. To me this yoruba vs. igbo debate will take awhile to resolve but people need to stop saying that Yoruba's need to apologize to igbo's. They need to face that issue with the hausa's for that or ask all tribes of Nigeria to apologize to igbo's.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (22) (Reply)

Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival / First Appearance Of Ooni Of Ife And His New Wife Olori Naomi As She Minister(vid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.