Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,534 members, 7,812,661 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. (66878 Views)

‘Tom And Jerry’ Relationship Between Igbo And Yoruba ~ Azuka Onwuka / Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by irvingia: 10:22am On Jul 13, 2014
BY AZUKA ONWUKA

It is difficult to say if Igbo and Yoruba are friends or enemies or merely tolerating each other. On the surface, they seem to be friends, because you rarely hear of any clashes or killings between the two in over 100 years. People from the two ethnic groups work together, live together, laugh together, worship together, and play together. Everything seems all right. Nobody wants to be seen as publicly making any comment seen as tribalistic or intolerant.

But if you look deeper, there seems to be something you cannot truly place a finger on. It’s like a volcano waiting for the least provocation to
erupt. It only needs an excerpt from Chinua Achebe’s There Was a Country to be made public, or for Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos to
“deport” some Igbo to Onitsha for hell to be let loose. Commentators immediately line up behind their ethnic groups, releasing venom against the
other side. Luckily, such altercations usually end in words and not in violent acts.

But on Nigerian online sites like the punchng.com and others, where commentators can use anonymous names, such fights are a daily affair,
and they always get embarrassingly nasty. At such times, combatants throw caution to the wind and rake up gut-wrenching jibes dripping of hate and bordering on insanity. You wonder if the purveyors of such vitriol would feel at ease afterwards interacting with someone from the ethnic group they have maligned so viciously. Some see it as fun, but many don’t. They see it as a war that must be won at all costs.

Regrettably, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe and Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, whose direct and indirect action and
inaction sowed the seed of hate and distrust between the Igbo and the Yoruba, have died without uprooting that dangerous plant or even
denying it water and nutrients. Therefore, till this day, the Igbo and Yoruba still enjoy shooting at each other with accusations of betrayal,
expansionism, hate, ingratitude, greed, as well as trying to prove that each ethnic group is superior to the other.

And it seems the contest for superiority is at the root of that frosty relationship. The Igbo and Yoruba are unarguably the most competitive in
Nigeria. They are the ethnic groups that easily and forcefully ask for the removal of quota system in all national life. They believe that if things are done on merit, they will excel. The Igbo think that the Yoruba are the major competitors they have in Nigeria, while the Yoruba think that the Igbo are the key competitors they have in Nigeria. This shows in almost all spheres of life. The Yoruba had a head-start in western education
because the British colonialists and missionaries arrived on their land first. The Igbo, who resisted and rejected the British initially, eventually
accepted them and thereby began a sprint to catch up with the Yoruba. And they succeeded.

Whatever the Igbo achieve, the Yoruba have an answer to it, and whatever the Yoruba achieve the Igbo have a response. So, if you have a Wole Soyinka from the South-West winning the first Nobel Prize for Literature in Africa, you have a Chinua Achebe from the South-East holding the record of the most popular and most-selling literary writer in Africa. If you have a Rangers International Football Club of Enugu shaking the
Nigerian football scene in the 1970s and early 80s, you have the Shooting Stars Football Club of Ibadan shining brightly at the same period. If
Rashidi Yekini is noted for scoring Nigeria’s first World Cup goal and being Nigeria’s all-time highest goal scorer, then Nwankwo Kanu boasts of
being Nigeria’s most decorated footballer, while Austin Jay-Jay Okocha flaunts his status as Nigeria’s most glamorous and mesmerising
footballer. If Genevieve Nnaji boasts of being named by Oprah Winfrey in 2009 among the most popular people in the world, Omotola Jalade-
Ekeinde will show off her name in TIME magazine’s most influential people of 2013. If P-Square and Flavour think they rock the music scene, D’Banj and Davido smash the charts.

So, in all areas of life, the Igbo and the Yoruba are competing, and in the process boosting the nation’s economy and bringing glory to the nation.
Yet, some inferiority-complex-afflicted people who feel threatened within each of the ethnic groups look for every excuse to spread hate among the two peoples. My close study of the Igbo and the Yoruba makes me see them as the Germans and the French of Nigeria respectively. Even the Igbo language is like the German language in many respects. In German and Igbo, there are no silent words. Excluding a few words in Germans which are sounded differently from the way the English sound theirs (like “j” which is pronounced like “y,” “w” which is pronounced as “v,” etc), whatever you say in both languages is what you write. For example, the “g” is always pronounced /g/ in Igbo and German and
never as “j.” “Danke” and “obante” are pronounced as written.

But in French and Yoruba, what you say may be different from how you write it. Some letters are either silent or semi-silent. For example, the
Yoruba and the French would pronounce “san” as if it were “saw,” or “son,” but the Igbo and Germans would pronounce it /san/: exactly the
way it is spelt. Also, the “h” is usually silent or glossed over in French and Yoruba: Hospital or Kehinde. The Igbo and the German are bullish and
technology-minded. They have fought and lost wars but staged successful comebacks in a short time. Conversely, the Yoruba and the French are subtle and supercilious, with good administrative skills, regaling in their years of history and culture. A country that has such two success-driven ethnic groups should be at a great advantage. The Yoruba have been great hosts to the Igbo; and the Igbo have reciprocated by contributing immensely to the building of Yoruba land, especially Lagos State, including buying swamps at a high price and turning such places to residential or commercial estates. The sleepiness of Lagos during the Christmas-New Year period, when the Igbo usually travel home en masse, bears testimony to their contribution to making Lagos lively.

Just like the French always wish they could cut the Germans to size, so do the Yoruba to the Igbo, but it will never work. And just as the Germans always try to flaunt their success at the French, so do the Igbo do to the Yoruba, but it is completely pointless. The Yoruba can never be like the Igbo, and the Igbo can never be like the Yoruba. There is nothing the Yoruba can do to suppress the Igbo neither is there anything the Igbo can do to suppress the Yoruba. Both of them can actually succeed without the other, but working closely together will be very beneficial to each of them as well as the nation. The younger generations are forging greater ties, despite the baggage of enmity the older
generations handed over to them. Working together, attending church together and living together seem to have increased the rate of marriage between the two people. Most Sundays when I look at the church bulletin, I see increasing higher number of banns of marriage between Yoruba and Igbo people. These days, it is common to see women whose names are Temilade Amadi or Ngozi Adesanya because of marriage. The ethnic barriers are being broken, even though ethnic jingoists continue to spread hate. Such hate speech and thoughts need to be stopped, for ethnic bloodshed or xenophobia does not burst out in one day.

Since the older generations are passing away without bringing these two great ethnic groups together, the onus is on those born after the Civil
War to consciously take steps to bring the two ethnic groups together for their own good and for the good of the nation. It is high time this Tom and Jerry relationship between the two ethnic groups ended, for the good of both and the nation at large.

http://www.punchng.com/opinion/tom-and-jerry-relationship-between-igbo-and-yoruba/

387 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by ggrin(f): 10:42am On Jul 13, 2014
I jus dy shine ma eyes \(o_o)/ hie like shine shine bobocheesy

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by EfemenaXY: 12:59pm On Jul 13, 2014
Beautiful, insightful and definitely educative article.

Thanks for sharing, @op.

48 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by bigfrancis21: 12:56am On Jul 14, 2014
Beautiful write-up.

17 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by 9jahubcom(m): 7:51am On Jul 14, 2014
ahaha
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by ichidodo: 7:51am On Jul 14, 2014
Where's my matchete?".

8 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by 9jahubcom(m): 7:51am On Jul 14, 2014
bigfrancis21: Beautiful write-up.
ur writw
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by DONMAYOR19(m): 7:52am On Jul 14, 2014
And who will win? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by olaezebala: 7:52am On Jul 14, 2014
Make I carry chair sidon for front row fast. The bigots go soon show to make this a good royal rumble.

7 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 7:53am On Jul 14, 2014

25 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 7:53am On Jul 14, 2014
This is a very good article with no bias. I hope it enlightens the minds of many.
@op; thanks for sharing this!

66 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by dridowu: 7:54am On Jul 14, 2014
BadBoy25: who has the time to read through all these Long Gibberish ? seeing the Long write up already made me lose interest . you guys need to learn to summarize your post, no one has time to waste .
what is the relationship between Igbo and Yoruba? is it bad or Good ? make it straightforward instead of composing a Novel . Time is Money .
like a popular saying, if you wish to hide something from a black man then put it in a book, i guess this small saying sweet you. Anyway always be a good boy , dont be a bad boy.
@topic, nice write but human race will compete against each other, not just issue of Yorubas or Igbos.

117 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by superior1: 7:54am On Jul 14, 2014
Outside Nigeria, I even regard Ghanaians as my brothers

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Standard007(m): 7:54am On Jul 14, 2014
Igbo kwenu!!!!!

106 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 7:55am On Jul 14, 2014
Make I book space before I read. Mod Abeg no delete ooo.

***post read. Now to topic.

Since the older generations are passing away without bringing these two great ethnic groups together, the onus is on those born after the Civil War to consciously take steps to bring the two ethnic groups together for their own good and for the good of the nation.

This is the summary.

5 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by justi4jesu(f): 7:55am On Jul 14, 2014
Dunno but will ask my igbo and yoruba friendz cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 7:55am On Jul 14, 2014
all i no is that igbos survive anywere in this planet even on alien planet

76 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by bigfrancis21: 7:55am On Jul 14, 2014
Please, there should be no tribalism on this thread.

55 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by MillionDollars: 7:55am On Jul 14, 2014
I'd rather say its ppinky and the brain relationship!!

3 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by MidaxPhoenix(m): 7:55am On Jul 14, 2014
The hidden truth is that the igbos felt betrayed by the yorubas, the igbos have always seen the yorubas as the brothers across the niger but the civil war changed the course of thinking.

An average Igbo respects a yoruba for his intellectual prowess while the yorubas respect the igbos for entrepreneurial skills... a case of mutual respect and admiration and the igbos felt betrayed by the tribe they respect so much during the civil war..

The yorubas owe the Igbo an apology, and the igbos should learn to move on but our leaders profit from the discord, hence cannot facilitate a true reconciliation..

The two tribes complement each others,

What the igbos lack, the yorubas have in abundance and vice versa so we find it easy to co-habit.

We, yorubas are lazy, rely solely on intellectual skills as ingrained in our culture but the igbos believes in the sweat of hardwork..

The yorubas will say- I no fit do that work o! And the igbos will say - make we try am now.

Yoruba schools to become bureaucrat but the igbos schools to become refined businessmen..

During my nysc in enugu, I was privilege to teach tutorials in advanced calculus, real and numerical analysis in ESUT and IMT, the shout of ''Chike obi'' and awolowo rents the air as I give them the short cuts to solving questions.

Gba be theorem I call it...

All I can do is feel good when we finish lectures and my students give me business cards and telling me to come to their shops in ogbeite..

And igbos marvel at the yorubas mathematical skills....

Enters a store, Nna nyem this, 120, that 235, those 340.

Give him 1000 naira, Nna grabs calculator..

But the market woman in lagos selling wares, she will retort....305 ni change yin.

The igbos don't have time to calculate money, they make it in abundance and leave the yorubas to calculate.

The igbos control the economy, the yorubas regulate it..

Nigeria is truly blessed.

349 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Onlinebizexpert(m): 7:55am On Jul 14, 2014
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the guy above me too much......nice writeup
especially the change part grin
yoruba and igbo competing since the end of civil war

naija would have been better with these two tribes

YORUBA providing the spirituality,adminstration

IGBOS providing economy and strenght

what a country that would have been

funny enough there are moslems in yoruba and igboland but that yet does not affect the unity of these great entities
despite the betrayal the IGBOS feel about the YORUBAS, there is still alot to achieve as a united front

#LONG LIVE IGBO LAND
#LONG LIVE YORUBALAND

#LONG LIVE OHANEZE & ODUDUWA UNITED FRONT

#LONGLIVE NIGERIA minus OUR DESTRUCTIVE BRETHREN

NIGERIA OF MY DREAM
vvvvvvvvvvvv

163 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by ShirelleBaby: 7:55am On Jul 14, 2014
DONMAYOR19: And who is/will win? grin grin grin
WHO IS WIN?brother,I give up!!

39 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by checkdate(m): 7:55am On Jul 14, 2014
irvingia: It is difficult to say if Igbo and Yoruba are friends
or enemies or merely tolerating each other. On the
surface, they seem to be friends, because you
rarely hear of any clashes or killings between the
two in over 100 years. People from the two ethnic
groups work together, live together, laugh together,
worship together, and play together. Everything
seems all right. Nobody wants to be seen as
publicly making any comment seen as tribalistic or
intolerant.
But if you look deeper, there seems to be
something you cannot truly place a finger on. It’s
like a volcano waiting for the least provocation to
erupt. It only needs an excerpt from Chinua
Achebe’s There Was a Country to be made public,
or for Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos to
“deport” some Igbo to Onitsha for hell to be let
loose. Commentators immediately line up behind
their ethnic groups, releasing venom against the
other side. Luckily, such altercations usually end
in words and not in violent acts.
But on Nigerian online sites like the punchng.com
and others, where commentators can use
anonymous names, such fights are a daily affair,
and they always get embarrassingly nasty. At such
times, combatants throw caution to the wind and
rake up gut-wrenching jibes dripping of hate and
bordering on insanity. You wonder if the purveyors
of such vitriol would feel at ease afterwards
interacting with someone from the ethnic group
they have maligned so viciously. Some see it as
fun, but many don’t. They see it as a war that
must be won at all costs.
Regrettably, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Dr. Nnamdi
Azikiwe and Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-
Ojukwu, whose direct and indirect action and
inaction sowed the seed of hate and distrust
between the Igbo and the Yoruba, have died
without uprooting that dangerous plant or even
denying it water and nutrients. Therefore, till this
day, the Igbo and Yoruba still enjoy shooting at
each other with accusations of betrayal,
expansionism, hate, ingratitude, greed, as well as
trying to prove that each ethnic group is superior
to the other.
And it seems the contest for superiority is at the
root of that frosty relationship. The Igbo and
Yoruba are unarguably the most competitive in
Nigeria. They are the ethnic groups that easily and
forcefully ask for the removal of quota system in all
national life. They believe that if things are done
on merit, they will excel. The Igbo think that the
Yoruba are the major competitors they have in
Nigeria, while the Yoruba think that the Igbo are
the key competitors they have in Nigeria.
This shows in almost all spheres of life. The
Yoruba had a head-start in western education
because the British colonialists and missionaries
arrived on their land first. The Igbo, who resisted
and rejected the British initially, eventually
accepted them and thereby began a sprint to catch
up with the Yoruba. And they succeeded.
Whatever the Igbo achieve, the Yoruba have an
answer to it, and whatever the Yoruba achieve the
Igbo have a response. So, if you have a Wole
Soyinka from the South-West winning the first
Nobel Prize for Literature in Africa, you have a
Chinua Achebe from the South-East holding the
record of the most popular and most-selling
literary writer in Africa. If you have a Rangers
International Football Club of Enugu shaking the
Nigerian football scene in the 1970s and early 80s,
you have the Shooting Stars Football Club of
Ibadan shining brightly at the same period. If
Rashidi Yekini is noted for scoring Nigeria’s first
World Cup goal and being Nigeria’s all-time
highest goal scorer, then Nwankwo Kanu boasts of
being Nigeria’s most decorated footballer, while
Austin Jay-Jay Okocha flaunts his status as
Nigeria’s most glamorous and mesmerising
footballer. If Genevieve Nnaji boasts of being
named by Oprah Winfrey in 2009 among the most
popular people in the world, Omotola Jalade-
Ekeinde will show off her name in TIME magazine’s
most influential people of 2013. If P-Square and
Flavour think they rock the music scene, D’Banj
and Davido smash the charts.
So, in all areas of life, the Igbo and the Yoruba are
competing, and in the process boosting the
nation’s economy and bringing glory to the nation.
Yet, some inferiority-complex-afflicted people who
feel threatened within each of the ethnic groups
look for every excuse to spread hate among the
two peoples.
My close study of the Igbo and the Yoruba makes
me see them as the Germans and the French of
Nigeria respectively. Even the Igbo language is like
the German language in many respects. In German
and Igbo, there are no silent words. Excluding a
few words in Germans which are sounded
differently from the way the English sound theirs
(like “j” which is pronounced like “y,” “w” which is
pronounced as “v,” etc), whatever you say in both
languages is what you write. For example, the “g”
is always pronounced /g/ in Igbo and German and
never as “j.” “Danke” and “obante” are pronounced
as written.
But in French and Yoruba, what you say may be
different from how you write it. Some letters are
either silent or semi-silent. For example, the
Yoruba and the French would pronounce “san” as
if it were “saw,” or “son,” but the Igbo and
Germans would pronounce it /san/: exactly the
way it is spelt. Also, the “h” is usually silent or
glossed over in French and Yoruba: Hospital or
Kehinde.
The Igbo and the German are bullish and
technology-minded. They have fought and lost
wars but staged successful comebacks in a short
time. Conversely, the Yoruba and the French are
subtle and supercilious, with good administrative
skills, regaling in their years of history and culture.
A country that has such two success-driven ethnic
groups should be at a great advantage. The
Yoruba have been great hosts to the Igbo; and the
Igbo have reciprocated by contributing immensely
to the building of Yoruba land, especially Lagos
State, including buying swamps at a high price and
turning such places to residential or commercial
estates. The sleepiness of Lagos during the
Christmas-New Year period, when the Igbo usually
travel home en masse, bears testimony to their
contribution to making Lagos lively.
Just like the French always wish they could cut the
Germans to size, so do the Yoruba to the Igbo, but
it will never work. And just as the Germans always
try to flaunt their success at the French, so do the
Igbo do to the Yoruba, but it is completely
pointless. The Yoruba can never be like the Igbo,
and the Igbo can never be like the Yoruba. There is
nothing the Yoruba can do to suppress the Igbo,
neither is there anything the Igbo can do to
suppress the Yoruba. Both of them can actually
succeed without the other, but working closely
together will be very beneficial to each of them as
well as the nation.
The younger generations are forging greater ties,
despite the baggage of enmity the older
generations handed over to them. Working
together, attending church together and living
together seem to have increased the rate of
marriage between the two people. Most Sundays
when I look at the church bulletin, I see increasing
higher number of banns of marriage between
Yoruba and Igbo people. These days, it is common
to see women whose names are Temilade Amadi
or Ngozi Adesanya because of marriage. The
ethnic barriers are being broken, even though
ethnic jingoists continue to spread hate. Such hate
speech and thoughts need to be stopped, for
ethnic bloodshed or xenophobia does not burst
out in one day.
Since the older generations are passing away
without bringing these two great ethnic groups
together, the onus is on those born after the Civil
War to consciously take steps to bring the two
ethnic groups together for their own good and for
the good of the nation. It is high time this Tom and
Jerry relationship between the two ethnic groups
ended, for the good of both and the nation at large.
Copyright PUNCH.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital
content on this website, may not be reproduced,
published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in
whole or in part without prior express written
permission from PUNCH.
I Dont Understand.
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Blockus: 7:55am On Jul 14, 2014
OP,

I find this thread offensive to ndi Igbos. angry

We dont have any relationship whatsoever with the Yorubas. angry

They have proven to be untrust worthy since the beginning of time. They are two faced, back-stabbing and maliciously wicked and have demonstrated it time and time again. Lets not forget that the genocidal aspect of the civil war where food and medical supply were cut off from the East was not suggested by the Northerners but by a Yoruba man. Lets not even forget that there would not have been a war per se if the Yorubas had stuck to their end of the bargain from the Aburi accord held in Ghana.

The Yorubas are not trust worthy at all and thats the root of our problems in Nigeria. Atleast the Hausas have shown us where they stand from the very beginning.

I do however agree with the OPS comparison of the Igbos to the Germans and the Yorubas to the French, seeing as the Germans are innovative and brave at war and the French are cowardly and docile in general.

51 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by ojuafact: 7:57am On Jul 14, 2014
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 7:57am On Jul 14, 2014
.We must learn to live together as brother or perish together as Fools............. One Love............ My yoruba Pals are the best

17 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by fingard02k(m): 7:58am On Jul 14, 2014
what is the meaning of all these?

ultrazone: Hi
publicenemy: [/quote]
[quote author=dridowu]Ok
kekakuz: yes o
justi4jesu: ok
9jahubcom: ahaha
superior1: ok
Chimax15: .
ojuafact: .
Blockus: angry

32 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by publicenemy(m): 8:00am On Jul 14, 2014
The hausas are the only problem we have n ths country....

But if Nigeria divides the ibos will be worse.

So,one Nigeria for life...if we sink we sink together.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by ultrazone(m): 8:01am On Jul 14, 2014
Hh

138 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival / Different South African Tribes / First Appearance Of Ooni Of Ife And His New Wife Olori Naomi As She Minister(vid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.