Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,471 members, 7,770,160 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:13 AM

Learning Visual Basic - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Learning Visual Basic (1832 Views)

Find Out How You Can Get The Basis Of Programming By Learning Visual C-sharp. / Can I Call Myself A Good Programmer If I Only Know Visual Basic / Any Visual Basic (VB) Guru In The House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learning Visual Basic by obxddon(m): 2:21pm On Jul 18, 2006
I Need Help On Vb

Hello Every one,I am new in this forum and I will like to ask you for help.

In my polytechnic days we did BASIC Programming Language. After I left school I discoverd that in the real world BASIC was nothing so I have decided to learn VB but the problem I have is the resources to learn VB.

Is there any one who can help? I mean I do not know the Basic requirement in terms of PC grade and also books I need Please some one help
Re: Learning Visual Basic by parosky(m): 3:42pm On Jul 18, 2006
VB is arguably the easiest language to learn. I'll advise you go ahead and learn VB.Net because that's where microsoft is now. They stopped support for VB6 which is far easier, though there are still many people who'll rather stick with VB6 Some people still program in VB5 and even VB4 (but I doubt if there's any in Nigeria).
VB.Net will require at least 256MB RAM, about P3 800MHz, and about 2 GB hard disc depending on the kind of installation you want. This is what microsoft documentation says but you better go well beyond this if you want to enjoy your programming experience at all. I use 512MHz RAM, 1.13GHz P3 processor. Get VB.Net 2005 or download the express edition from here

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/install/

VB6 will require far less hardware configuration. I once ran VB6 on a P1 machine though it was not a fantastic experience.

You can easily get any of the visual studio since you are in Lagos.

What's your email address I can send a pdf file to you depending on your stated preference. Study them and ask questions
Re: Learning Visual Basic by Seun(m): 8:00pm On Jul 19, 2006
Stop asking people for their email addresses. Just check their profiles.

If you want money, you should learn dynamic website design with PHP/MySQL.
Re: Learning Visual Basic by whitesoftx(m): 11:02am On Jul 20, 2006
Just as Seun said, the money making programming now is Dynamic Web Page Design with PHP/MySQL, better still, if you want to learn VB6.0, there are many sites out there to get snippets and codes from like www.planetsourcecode.com www.vbcode.com www.a1vbcode.com and many more, better still, i have a written and conpiled tutorial on it for begginers, if you need it, I can place a link here for you to download, its in my website www.whitesoftx.com

Good luck bro!
Re: Learning Visual Basic by smartsoft(m): 1:37pm On Jul 20, 2006
I agree with seun,
Re: Learning Visual Basic by kambo(m): 1:51pm On Jul 20, 2006
what has happened to JSP and other server scripting languages.
i dont get any rest from this php/mysql refrain.
?
Re: Learning Visual Basic by dakmanzero(m): 1:27pm On Jul 24, 2006
If the guy wants to become a programmer, we shouldnt hold him back.

php/mysql may be a quick route to money making, but it will cripple his ability to adapt when the whole 'web design programming' bubble bursts (very soon now)

If he learns vb .net, he will be introduced to general purpose programing, and will then find it trivial to specialize. remember, vb dot net can be used in conjunction with MSSQL to do anything that php/mysql can do, and he is in Naija so the monetary barrier is not there.
Re: Learning Visual Basic by Adrenaline123(m): 6:51pm On Jul 30, 2014
Seun: Stop asking people for their email addresses. Just check their profiles.

If you want money, you should learn dynamic website design with PHP/MySQL .
is it still applicable now sir?

(1) (Reply)

Submitting A Form And Passing Form Values To Another Page In Asp.net. / After Writting The Source Codes,how Do I Make It An Application Software! / Compute CGPA With Vb.net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.