Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,833 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

My Female Gsd Barks When She's On Chain - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / My Female Gsd Barks When She's On Chain (2335 Views)

How I Lost My Female German Shepherd Dog During Pregnancy. / My Female GSD Is Refusing To Mate With Male Dogs What Should I Do (photos) / My Dogs Are Dead But I Still See Them And Hear Their Barks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Female Gsd Barks When She's On Chain by sportin(m): 5:19am On Jul 14, 2014
Hi guys I really need help my 3 months old gsd will always bark whenever I chain her somewhere in d house at a point she will stop but when she sees me and I leave she barks again. .what do I do? .am in urgent need of a trainer to help me train for attacking on command. .the trainer has to be located in Ibadan and musnt be too expensive please!
Re: My Female Gsd Barks When She's On Chain by mayorall(m): 9:57am On Jul 14, 2014
sportin: Hi guys I really need help my 3 months old gsd will always bark whenever I chain her somewhere in d house at a point she will stop but when she sees me and I leave she barks again. .what do I do? .am in urgent need of a trainer to help me train for attacking on command. .the trainer has to be located in Ibadan and musnt be too expensive please!

She will soon get used to it.
Re: My Female Gsd Barks When She's On Chain by Seun(m): 12:00pm On Jul 14, 2014
Barking when chained is quite normal for a young GSD. GSDs don't like sitting around doing nothing. Give the dog something to occupy herself with. I like to give my dog raw chicken laps to challenge him. Also, try to play with your dog to get her tired before chaining her. Also, get her something to play with e.g. a lawn tennis ball. Many dogs are crazy for tennis balls, including my 2 / 3 year old dog.

Attacking on command is a pretty useless behaviour to teach a dog unless you work for the police and want to use the dog to catch criminals. Your dog is too young for that kind of training, anyway. You can try playing tug with your dog to build her prey drive for such training. What you really need from a dog is to be alerted when anyone tries to break into your compound and to deter unarmed criminals e.g.burglers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Female Gsd Barks When She's On Chain by oluomoadebayo: 5:36pm On Jul 14, 2014
I don't recommend chaining dogs at all and it could affect the temperament of the dog. Make sure you get him socialize and retire him to a kennel instead.
Re: My Female Gsd Barks When She's On Chain by sportin(m): 9:20pm On Jul 14, 2014
I'll do just that.
Re: My Female Gsd Barks When She's On Chain by Seun(m): 11:08pm On Jul 14, 2014
oluomoadebayo: I don't recommend chaining dogs at all and it could affect the temperament of the dog.
What's bad about chaining a dog? I actually believe that every dog should have a collar and a chain and they should be used regularly.

The chain makes it easy to keep your dog from going where you don't want it to go. When I'm taking my dog out in my car, I always chain him to the back seat so he can't disturb me while I'm driving or jump out to bite someone who's agitating him. He doesn't seem to mind being chained in the car at all because he likes to go out. When I wanted to train my dog to lie down, I had to chain him down to get him to stop moving around.

The collar makes it easy for you to control your dog with or without a chain. For example, when I need to take some food from my dog, I can grab his collar to prevent him from snapping at my delicate fingers. When I need to move him against his will, I can just grab his collar and pull!

Many situations that have caused problems between dogs and their human parents would have been avoided if the dogs were kept under control.
Re: My Female Gsd Barks When She's On Chain by oluomoadebayo: 1:06pm On Jul 20, 2014
Seun:
What's bad about chaining a dog? I actually believe that every dog should have a collar and a chain and they should be used regularly.

The chain makes it easy to keep your dog from going where you don't want it to go. When I'm taking my dog out in my car, I always chain him to the back seat so he can't disturb me while I'm driving or jump out to bite someone who's agitating him. He doesn't seem to mind being chained in the car at all because he likes to go out. When I wanted to train my dog to lie down, I had to chain him down to get him to stop moving around.

The collar makes it easy for you to control your dog with or without a chain. For example, when I need to take some food from my dog, I can grab his collar to prevent him from snapping at my delicate fingers. When I need to move him against his will, I can just grab his collar and pull!

Many situations that have caused problems between dogs and their human parents would have been avoided if the dogs were kept under control.
Their is different between collar and chain and you can get a dog seat belt for your friend.. The best way is to train your dog to listen to you always but many fails to do so and chain the dog to restrict him. Back to the aforementioned points, you are using chain to train and for restriction but not chaining your dog when you are not around.
What I'm against is chaining your dog instead of putting him in the kennel or crate. My breed of dogs go nut when they are on chain for a long time and hurt themselves trying to break the chain with their teeth.
Re: My Female Gsd Barks When She's On Chain by niggadee(m): 9:51pm On Jul 20, 2014
Allow the puppy freedom to explore his new surroundings, but pay close attention to where she goes. Chain cause anxiety for dog.
Re: My Female Gsd Barks When She's On Chain by Seun(m): 11:19am On Jul 21, 2014
@oluomoadebayo: My feeling is that a chain is better than a crate because it gives the dog more freedom to move around. If a dog is ok with being locked in his crate or kennel, it should be easy to train it to be ok with being chained in a comfortable place. What am I missing?

@sportin: Another idea in addition to the suggestion to get her a tennis ball or challenging raw bones:
Whenever you want to feed your dog, chain her. Then when the food is finished, release her. When you want to play with her, chain her but don't secure the chain so she can drag it around. When playtime is over, remove the chain. Soon she'll look forward to being chained.
Re: My Female Gsd Barks When She's On Chain by Soknown: 10:02pm On Jul 24, 2014
Seun: Barking when chained is quite normal for a young GSD. GSDs don't like sitting around doing nothing. Give the dog something to occupy herself with. I like to give my dog raw chicken laps to challenge him. Also, try to play with your dog to get her tired before chaining her. Also, get her something to play with e.g. a lawn tennis ball. Many dogs are crazy for tennis balls, including my 2 / 3 year old dog.

Attacking on command is a pretty useless behaviour to teach a dog unless you work for the police and want to use the dog to catch criminals. Your dog is too young for that kind of training, anyway. You can try playing tug with your dog to build her prey drive for such training. What you really need from a dog is to be alerted when anyone tries to break into your compound and to deter unarmed criminals e.g.burglers.
When I got my first GSD ('cos I have 2 now), my Vet was telling me about his own, and all the training, Sit , Go , Jump, Shake, Chase and Attack. I was thrilled but when my dogs could not obey chase or attack at 4 months I was worried and discouraged. One day I was feeding them and some one came into the premise and without prompting or command the two charged and wanted to chase the person, I quickly shouted stop, go back. I apologized to the man but I was happy inside me that yes, my dogs are getting it right.
Re: My Female Gsd Barks When She's On Chain by Seun(m): 8:50am On Jul 25, 2014
Soknown:
When I got my first GSD ('cos I have 2 now), my Vet was telling me about his own, and all the training, Sit , Go , Jump, Shake, Chase and Attack. I was thrilled but when my dogs could not obey chase or attack at 4 months I was worried and discouraged. One day I was feeding them and some one came into the premise and without prompting or command the two charged and wanted to chase the person, I quickly shouted stop, go back. I apologized to the man but I was happy inside me that yes, my dogs are getting it right.
Your dogs have protective instincts, but if you want them to be more security conscious, you should not let them get used to the entry of outsiders into your compound. The way to achieve this is to always lock your dogs away before allowing outsiders into your compound.
Re: My Female Gsd Barks When She's On Chain by Soknown: 2:28pm On Jul 25, 2014
Seun:
Your dogs have protective instincts, but if you want them to be more security conscious, you should not let them get used to the entry of outsiders into your compound. The way to achieve this is to always lock your dogs away before allowing outsiders into your compound.
Okay , thanks.
Re: My Female Gsd Barks When She's On Chain by henry007(m): 2:39pm On Jul 25, 2014
Seun: @oluomoadebayo: My feeling is that a chain is better than a crate because it gives the dog more freedom to move around. If a dog is ok with being locked in his crate or kennel, it should be easy to train it to be ok with being chained in a comfortable place. What am I missing?

@sportin: Another idea in addition to the suggestion to get her a tennis ball or challenging raw bones:
Whenever you want to feed your dog, chain her. Then when the food is finished, release her. When you want to play with her, chain her but don't secure the chain so she can drag it around. When playtime is over, remove the chain. Soon she'll look forward to being chained.
many expertd suggest its not wise to give a dog a bone especially ones that cause splinters.
Re: My Female Gsd Barks When She's On Chain by Seun(m): 4:28pm On Jul 25, 2014
henry007: many experts suggest its not wise to give a dog a bone especially ones that cause splinters.
Raw bones rarely cause splinters because they are more flexible than cooked bones. You can take additional precautions:
- Avoid giving dogs the load bearing bones of large animals (cow leg, goat leg, pig leg, etc). Over-excited dogs could break their teeth on them.
- Don't feed very small bones to big dogs. They may be tempted to swallow the bones instead of chewing them properly, and choke on them.
- Supervise your dogs when they are eating raw bones, especially when you've fed them a new type of bone that they have not eaten before.

Our dogs at home have always eaten bones from our leftovers. Fried chicken or turkey bones. We just can't understand why we should throw perfectly good bones away when we have dogs that would kill for those bones. We've never had issues with feeding any type of chicken bones to our dogs. We're talking about 7 dogs over many years. However, we've had issues with cow bones. There've been times when our dogs got cow bones stuck on their teeth and one old dog who (probably) swallowed a cow bone and got sick because his body couldn't handle it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Female Gsd Barks When She's On Chain by Mynd44: 5:36am On Jul 27, 2014
Soknown:
Lmao....you dogs probably did not want to show you that they are obidient cos they want to be playful around you. Mine does it when we are alone too. All the efforts to get her to do stuff just proves abortive but in public or when she is agitated, controlling her is really easy.

(1) (Reply)

Renaissance German Shepherds / Does This Creature Exist Or was It Photoshopped? (pics) / Badly Treated And Neglected Boerboel Dog (caution Disturbing Pictures )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.