Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,220 members, 7,953,812 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:12 AM

Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years (10564 Views)

I Decided To Cook After 3years! / Disgusting Things Ever Found In Food. / Disgusting Meal Breakers,photos Of Animals Found In Food. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by nnekaregy(f): 12:31pm On Jul 15, 2014
TRADELYN: How does this solve the rising hunger problem
As a researcher you claim to be, you should know the correlation.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by Sagamite(m): 12:33pm On Jul 15, 2014
anonimi:

The price of garri MAY not drop immediately as previously UNSATISFIED demand and NEW uses for cassava gets fulfilled through greater production of the staple.
The BETTER IMMEDIATE measurement of the veracity of this statement is the IMPROVED income of farmers and agricultural/agro-allied investors/business people.

Well said.

Off the top of my head, I will suspect the primary aims of this agricultural policy would be:

- Increasing agriculture's contribution to the GDP
- Diversifying the Economy
- Improving food security and self-reliance
- Increasing food export
- Supporting and modernising the farming sector
- Reducing local food cost by increasing supply

This announcement should be judged on how it contributes to these.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by obailala(m): 12:40pm On Jul 15, 2014
condralbede: GEJ is working.....APC is criticizing..... BH is bombing.No matter all thorns we shall get thr.Nice one Mr President.

In every sensible democracy, there is an important office which is called the OPPOSITION. APC occupies this important office today in our democracy. It is the duty of the opposition to criticize the ruling party and keep them on their toes. That is how a sensible/healthy democracy works.

Without the opposition, the ruling party would do whatever it likes, just like the OBJs and even Abachas of this world. The emergence of APC is the best thing that happened to Nigeria's democracy. I wonder why this simple model is too difficult for some individuals to understand.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by anonimi: 12:41pm On Jul 15, 2014
Sagamite:

Well said.

Off the top of my head, I will suspect the primary aims of this agricultural policy would be:

- Increasing agriculture's contribution to the GDP
- Diversifying the Economy
- Improving food security and self-reliance
- Increasing food export
- Supporting and modernising the farming sector
- Reducing local food cost by increasing supply

This announcement should be judged on how it contributes to these.

Finally I find something to fully agree with you on.
Praise be to Jah/Olorun/Allah/Orisa/Whoever grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by arent88(m): 12:48pm On Jul 15, 2014
ferderick:
A very stupid person sighted. Keep disgracing urself and d huge amt u're parents are investing on ur education. Do this country a huge favour by hugging the nearest transformer. Silly tin.mr man u ar the one who is silly if with all the school u attended. u werent taught how to accomodate opposing views.so anyone who dosent agree with u guys on any gej news is nw silly right.u ar d real bigot
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by sweetgala(m): 12:57pm On Jul 15, 2014
ZUBY77: This is one of the things that the partisan criminals from the north fail to see.
Give us the power..thats all they want.

How on earth do you want power when you know you are going to drag the nation backwards?

Rather than dragging everybody down, Why not agree on regional govt so that you can test your leadership capabilities with your people first?

The development recorded in the south east alone in the past four years surpasses that of the entire north
Individuals build nations, govt only create conducive environment, support and security. The same security the north is destroying.

Slow poke do you know where lafia is , where all your grain and tomato comes from ?
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by Sagamite(m): 12:57pm On Jul 15, 2014
anonimi:

Finally I find something to fully agree with you on.
Praise be to Jah/Olorun/Allah/Orisa/Whoever grin cheesy

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

You are an infidel then. You need to be more religious. angry
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by publicenemy(m): 1:02pm On Jul 15, 2014
ZUBY77: This is one of the things that the partisan criminals from the north fail to see.
Give us the power..thats all they want.

How on earth do you want power when you know you are going to drag the nation backwards?

Rather than dragging everybody down, Why not agree on regional govt so that you can test your leadership capabilities with your people first?

The development recorded in the south east alone in the past four years surpasses that of the entire north
Individuals build nations, govt only create conducive environment, support and security. The same security the north is destroying.
God bless you up and down.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 15, 2014
GEJ is an unsung hero...a silent achiever... de kind of leader u'll appreciate his achievements after he has left office...Well,dat'll be in 2019 anyway cool

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by deletrue: 1:21pm On Jul 15, 2014
ednut1: story story, welcome to Nigeria, where laziness has finished us. our sand is so fertile plants grow on some houses. why did we even do economics in the first place in school. we keep giving our money to Thailand and d likes for rice we can produce. smugglers using the seme route are also having a field day killing our economy . well make i no complain self because i never get liver do what is necessary. violent revolution # lipsrsealed grin
Why you no dey ever talk sense?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by jericco1(m): 2:03pm On Jul 15, 2014
That's music to my Ears
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 15, 2014
What a coincidence that we're hearing this now, right before an election. I'm sure there are no ulterior motives behind this.

This is the most ridiculous part of Nigeria's dysfunctional political system. No one is allowed to campaign for the presidency until 2 months before the election. Except the incumbent party, of course.

There has never been, in Nigeria's entire history, an incumbent president who lost an election before his limit. Another coincidence, I guess.
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by anonimi: 3:01pm On Jul 15, 2014
MissMeiya: What a coincidence that we're hearing this now, right before an election. I'm sure there are no ulterior motives behind this.

Is seven months "right before an election"

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 15, 2014
anonimi:

Is seven months "right before an election"

In a normal country, yes. Election campaigning begins at LEAST a year before a presidential election. Which the current administration obviously knows better than you do.
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by MadCow1: 3:30pm On Jul 15, 2014
anonimi:

I thought the drop is expressed in $.
Are you confused and wish to spread your confusion to others

[b]'1 Billion Naira of the food.'

How did you interprete that?!
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by piroskey94(m): 4:01pm On Jul 15, 2014
Sagamite: Well done to Akinwumi Adesina!

A genius that can perform even under a cretinous person like GEJ.
hahahahahaha! dis guy!!!!!
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by piroskey94(m): 4:06pm On Jul 15, 2014
Sagamite:

Keep dreaming. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

A man known for rewarding corruption? grin

After sending convicted criminals to national conference to decide the future of Nigerians, this person sent another criminal, Amos Adamu to represent Nigeria in discussions with FIFA.

That is the person we have as President!
pls calm down
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by jpphilips(m): 6:25pm On Jul 15, 2014
teeebugs:

Read Full Story
http://leadership.ng/news/377812/food-import-bill-drops-2-6bn-3-years

http://monitor9ja.com/2014/07/nigeria-records-2-6bn-drop-food-importation-last-3years/

Oga jonathan, since you banned rice imports, they stopped importing through the front door, they now utilize the back door,
Who keeps the records of smuggled rice? next is your Auto industry, make Aganga use grammar dey confuse the kai kai wey dey your head.
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by misterjosh(m): 6:45pm On Jul 15, 2014
Good news if true, but there is still room for more improvement. Lyk opening up more access roads to farms.
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:02pm On Jul 15, 2014
Showing that Nigeria is becoming a food sufficient country.
Thumbs up to fellow agribusiness stakeholders.
We can create wealth,employment and feed the nation and the world.
Like our page on www.facebook.com/lesgupnigeria to get more money making agribusinesses in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by kannymoore(m): 7:26pm On Jul 15, 2014
Until prices of food items go on a free-fall and crash.. All these pieces of news na just "booh-booh" wey dem dey try "booh-booh" us.

Nahnsense!
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by JEITO: 9:17pm On Jul 15, 2014
Thumbs up to the GEJ initiative on agriculture. Not forgetting Mr Akinwunmi Adesina( minister of Agriculture) and the Eja'nla himself @Dbanj...
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by okotv(m): 10:08pm On Jul 15, 2014
i would never believe in this agricultural revolution until food prices stabilizes cause what is the use of the revolution when the local populace cannot feel the impact

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by revelationuche: 10:22pm On Jul 15, 2014
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by doubrah: 11:30pm On Jul 15, 2014
I'm still waiting to hear his critics refute this
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by declaro(m): 12:37am On Jul 16, 2014
ednut1: story story, welcome to Nigeria, where laziness has finished us. our sand is so fertile plants grow on some houses. why did we even do economics in the first place in school. we keep giving our money to Thailand and d likes for rice we can produce. smugglers using the seme route are also having a field day killing our economy . well make i no complain self because i never get liver do what is necessary. violent revolution # lipsrsealed grin

Did you said violent revolution? please say no to that, that will bring us back to 1967. Just pray that we don't experience such again on our soil.
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by mfm04622: 6:24am On Jul 16, 2014
This is nothing but half truth! Let us just reason a little and the lie will be clear.

What food items do we import? Our main food imports are rice, wheat, sugar and fish. Fact is government have tried to reduce our food importation. That is a good thing. The banned importation of sugar. I think that is working. The smuggling of this item is minimal. But we still import raw sugar! So instead of importing finished product, we now import raw sugar. We still import same quantity, the reduction in import bill will not be much.
For wheat, nothing has changed. Though govt want to reduce the quantity we import by substituting part of wheat with cassava flour, the millers are not taking it up. So no change in wheat import bill.
For fish, no change too. Government have encouraged fish farming and even gave some fishermen boats and fishing nets. Nothing has changed. We still depend on foreign fish. Some stupid unpatriotic Nigerians and foreigners even import catfish we produce here.
For Rice, this is where the import bill changed. It reduced a lot. Let the govt give us a breakdown of the reduction in food import bill and I bet you 80% is due to rice! This only show half the picture. To encourage local production, govt raised the tax on rife to 100%! Mean you pay the same amount you buy the rife as tax! This created a great incentive to smuggle rice. That is a part of the picture. The second is, since the tax is only on finished rice, importers just built mills and import paddy rice! This is because we produce different types of rice all over the country. Millers require consistency. So even though the paddy we produce has increased, we still process using the archaic system, wasting up to a quarter of the rice being processed! I support govt various effort to ensure Nigeria is food secure. I know we will get there, so no need to lie to ourselves how far we have come! Whatever reduction we are seeing is not because of import substitution, but due to smuggling

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by DobleO7: 4:10pm On Jul 16, 2014
This is a very good development..I hope that all sectors will receive the same attention of the Government.
Re: Nigeria Records $2.6bn Drop In Food Importation In The Last 3years by naijainfogalery: 7:50pm On Jan 14, 2015
for Nigerians looking for Nigerian food in the US, you can get your ingredients here - http://www.nigerianfoods.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Want To 2 Get Fat / Alternative To Wheat Flour / Liquid Milk Vs Powdered Milk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.