Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

Why Is Wazobia Linux Distro Discontinued? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Is Wazobia Linux Distro Discontinued? (837 Views)

The Best Linux Distro For A Netbook / Wazobia Linux / Wazobia Linux: A New Nigerian Linux Distro! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Wazobia Linux Distro Discontinued? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jul 15, 2014
I was searching for Linux that originated from Nigeria only to come up with Google that narrows down to a single distro called Wazobia. The unfortunate thing is that it's been discontinued to my utmost surprise. The reason why it's discontinued has not been stated anywhere online, as I couldn't find any related detailed information that explains the possible cause and it makes me furious. This shows that Nigerians cannot maintain and deliver an operating system that can be trusted or meant to last. It is a let down on the very existence of that society as a whole.

However, I would love to see Linux distro supporting different Nigerian languages. This has not been the case. I read a little about the Wazobia Linux to have supported four languages, the three major languages spoken in Nigeria, the Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa including the English language being the lingua franca.

Needless to say what I read in forums which touched on the distro, most of those who posted comments where skeptical as per the authenticity of the OS. Indeed, some of 'Scot's Newsletter forum ' posters even saw it as a fraudulent plan due to what they perceived as the very scam-nature of many Nigerians. That is arguably based on experiences and information on Nigerian infamous 419 scam.

This has brought to my attention there is need to revive or have the ISO on the virtual machine across the internet where the source code can be downloaded and distributed for continuity by anybody or group of people. It still baffles me why can't the body responsible for the maintenance, management and distribution of the Linux couldn't keep it alive. At least, there are free hosts it can be uploaded to without paying a dine. That includes Skydrive and other free cloud-based hosts. Opensource like Wazobia should have been given the time to grow and developed into a truly Nigerian Linux distro but the inexperience of the creator truncated that for it to be possible.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ancient Computer Of Over 1000years Found In Roman Shipwreck(photo) / I Want To Sell My Laptop / Zinox Mini Laptop For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.