Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,693 members, 7,820,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

I Have Too Much Faith To Be A Christian - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Have Too Much Faith To Be A Christian (708 Views)

To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm / I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have Too Much Faith To Be A Christian by timmy2409(m): 9:16pm On Jul 15, 2014
I have too much faith to be a Christian

I don’t think Christians properly understand the process of de-conversion many of us go through. It’s hard for them to fathom how we screwed up. But basically they think it’s an error of logic, we trusted our own thinking too much, got sucked into hubris, doubt, rationalism, and stopped believing. They assume it was probably mostly a social rebellion against our loving family, probably because we were hurt as children somehow. They think Becoming Atheist is a childish play for attention or emotional revenge of some sort; that we do this just to hurt Christians.

But a lot of non-believing friends of mine used to be, like me, very passionate Christians. I was passionately Christian for years. I was very public about it. I prayed publicly. I was an Acolyte. I even studied theology.

The problem was I learned far too much about historical Christianity. I learned that the Church Fathers were mostly ruthless, self-centered assholes who lied, cheated, tricked, stole and betrayed each other, trying to dominate their political agendas through theological maneuvering. I learned the core dogma of today’s Christianity evolved over a thousand years, mostly by accident, and reversed its stance on crucial issues several times.

I learned the Bible is a mashup of philosophy and theology and mythology from dozens of early cultures – a case of plagiarism so obvious that word-for-word passages from Greek plays, mystery cult scripts, and magical papyri can still be found today.

Knowing all of these things, I came up with a new appreciation for the flaws of Christianity.

If God exists, I reasoned, he certainly would have done a better job than this.

I don’t really care whether God exists or whether he doesn’t exist. I think arguing over that precise point holds little value.

I’m not going to prove to a believer that he doesn’t, and they aren’t going to prove to me that he does.

But even if someone could prove to me ontologically, definitely, absolutely, in the existence of God, I could still prove to them – historically – that most of the Bible never happened, that there’s no way an omnipotent and omniscient God could have made such as absolute mess of everything, and still use this shoddy, cobbled together, detestably simple-minded belief system as the final judgment criteria for our eternal souls.

For me, belief in God automatically rules out Christianity. In other words, whether or not God exists, Christianity is bunk.

But IF he exists, he goes against all common definitions of him (Good, Merciful, Forgiving, Wise). If Christianity is true, God is automatically a jerk, a tyrant, a fool, an amateur (which is why the Gnostics called him Demiurge – not the real God at all, just a stupid kid playing god and making a mess). And, since by St. Anselm’s definition, God must be the highest thought that can be thunk, the god of Christianity can not be the real God.

The reasons I’m not Christian have nothing to do with belief in God; and they have nothing to do with the values and morals or Christianity. (Although, while I used to agree with the humble/Buddhist passive acceptance of everything, I’ve changed for a much more Promethean, Faustian, Puritan work ethic of making lots of great stuff and changing the world).

By Derek Murphy (Source: http://www.holyblasphemy.net/i-dont-have-enough-faith-to-be-an-atheist-but-i-have-too-much-faith-to-be-a-christian/)
Re: I Have Too Much Faith To Be A Christian by Weah96: 3:38am On Jul 16, 2014
timmy2409: I have too much faith to be a Christian

I don’t think Christians properly understand the process of de-conversion many of us go through. It’s hard for them to fathom how we screwed up. But basically they think it’s an error of logic, we trusted our own thinking too much, got sucked into hubris, doubt, rationalism, and stopped believing. They assume it was probably mostly a social rebellion against our loving family, probably because we were hurt as children somehow. They think Becoming Atheist is a childish play for attention or emotional revenge of some sort; that we do this just to hurt Christians.

But a lot of non-believing friends of mine used to be, like me, very passionate Christians. I was passionately Christian for years. I was very public about it. I prayed publicly. I was an Acolyte. I even studied theology.

The problem was I learned far too much about historical Christianity. I learned that the Church Fathers were mostly ruthless, self-centered assholes who lied, cheated, tricked, stole and betrayed each other, trying to dominate their political agendas through theological maneuvering. I learned the core dogma of today’s Christianity evolved over a thousand years, mostly by accident, and reversed its stance on crucial issues several times.

I learned the Bible is a mashup of philosophy and theology and mythology from dozens of early cultures – a case of plagiarism so obvious that word-for-word passages from Greek plays, mystery cult scripts, and magical papyri can still be found today.

Knowing all of these things, I came up with a new appreciation for the flaws of Christianity.

If God exists, I reasoned, he certainly would have done a better job than this.

I don’t really care whether God exists or whether he doesn’t exist. I think arguing over that precise point holds little value.

I’m not going to prove to a believer that he doesn’t, and they aren’t going to prove to me that he does.

But even if someone could prove to me ontologically, definitely, absolutely, in the existence of God, I could still prove to them – historically – that most of the Bible never happened, that there’s no way an omnipotent and omniscient God could have made such as absolute mess of everything, and still use this shoddy, cobbled together, detestably simple-minded belief system as the final judgment criteria for our eternal souls.

For me, belief in God automatically rules out Christianity. In other words, whether or not God exists, Christianity is bunk.

But IF he exists, he goes against all common definitions of him (Good, Merciful, Forgiving, Wise). If Christianity is true, God is automatically a jerk, a tyrant, a fool, an amateur (which is why the Gnostics called him Demiurge – not the real God at all, just a stupid kid playing god and making a mess). And, since by St. Anselm’s definition, God must be the highest thought that can be thunk, the god of Christianity can not be the real God.

The reasons I’m not Christian have nothing to do with belief in God; and they have nothing to do with the values and morals or Christianity. (Although, while I used to agree with the humble/Buddhist passive acceptance of everything, I’ve changed for a much more Promethean, Faustian, Puritan work ethic of making lots of great stuff and changing the world).

By Derek Murphy (Source: http://www.holyblasphemy.net/i-dont-have-enough-faith-to-be-an-atheist-but-i-have-too-much-faith-to-be-a-christian/)

True, the majority of Christians only know a handful of Bible verses. S)hit, the majority of people don't like to read anything period. The bible is dropped on Sunday and picked up the following Sunday. If people compared the attributes of their Gods to reality, they would notice that something is wrong. The coin does not fit into the slot.

1 Like

Re: I Have Too Much Faith To Be A Christian by larrymoore(m): 5:36am On Jul 16, 2014
Ur candid world view, if all ar liberal, surely, no religion wll sell but for the. Sake of doubt, we follow.
Re: I Have Too Much Faith To Be A Christian by timmy2409(m): 11:12am On Jul 16, 2014
larrymoore: Ur candid world view, if all ar liberal, surely, no religion wll sell but for the. Sake of doubt, we follow.

Expatiate, please?

(1) (Reply)

Shoking!!! Boko Haram Leader To Be Captured Before Decemember Nigeria Witches / .:: Man Healed Of Hiv/hypertension After 9 Years ::. / Happy Raksha Bandhan 2014 Quotes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.