Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,164 members, 7,811,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm (5355 Views)

FROM FAITH TO Facts:collection Of My Thoughts, Experience & Sojourn In Religion / The True Definition Of Athiesm / I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by menesheh(m): 2:09am On Apr 05, 2015
I noticed recently that the new march for atheism is gaining ground around the world especially in western Europe. For instance, i was reading an article online about the number of non religious believers in Brittain, i was amazed with the recent figure which compelled me to google it, halve of British citizens (50%) are non religious believers despite them bringing the ideology to Africa cum Nigeria.

Coming to Nairaland, i noticed greater number of Nairalanders in religion section are seriously advocating for atheism.

My question here is what are those convictions that actually compelled you to change to Atheism?.

Mine was after reading mr Richard Dawkins book "the God Delusion" and watching youtube talks and debates about religion by Christopher hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Neil deGrasse tyson, Sam Harris etc i dumbed my dear Jewish religion to agnosticism after critically examining both claims and others.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by Nobody: 2:31am On Apr 05, 2015
I am not an atheist. I believe there is God.
But what I am against is Religion. I believe It's baseless.

It's nothing but a mind control tool in my opinion

4 Likes

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by osamaBUSH(m): 5:24am On Apr 05, 2015
Well well well.......................... angry angry NEXT
Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by Nobody: 12:56pm On Apr 05, 2015
Funny enough, it was after I read the bible as a kid.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by Hiswordxray(m): 1:24pm On Apr 05, 2015
missclasssy:
I am not an atheist. I believe there is God.
But what I am against is Religion. I believe It's baseless.

It's nothing but a mind control tool in my opinion
I am not an atheist, I hate religion but God had reveal Himself to me and I love Christ.
Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by Weah96: 2:33pm On Apr 05, 2015
DumPing, not dumbing, although religion is dumbing down the masses, so to speak. I left Christianity after years of skepticism because my brain couldn't rationalize it anymore. I could rationalize almost anything, even the fact that I had NEVER EVER spoken to the Jesus person. That didn't bother me at all, I assumed that he would speak when he was ready. But you'd be surprised at the straw that broke the camel's back.

I had a catharsis over that Joseph and Mary story. Not the ghost impregnation part, mind you, my brain was far too conditioned to notice THAT BS. What my brain found irreconcilable was the idea that Joseph, the husband or BF, actually believed the story that God impregnated his own wife. I couldn't think of any MALE on earth who would allow his girl to get away with that story. That was the threshold of my credulity. My brain rejected that story like an antigen from another galaxy. The rest of the book fell apart like a stack of dominoes.

12 Likes

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by johnydon22(m): 4:32pm On Apr 05, 2015
it can not be attributed to one specific reason. it takes years of skepticism.

When you start comparing Reality to fairy tales and wishful thinking.

It might take years for you to finally turn ur back on all your beliefs but when you finally realize it was all wishful thinking and fairy tale crap.

When you finally port to atheism it feels like "Aaaaaaaaaaaah relaxing and wonderful smiley"

6 Likes

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by Misogynist2014(m): 5:03pm On Apr 05, 2015
johnydon22:
it can not be attributed to one specific reason. it takes years of skepticism.

When you start comparing Reality to fairy tales and wishful thinking.

It might take years for you to finally turn ur back on all your beliefs but when you finally realize it was all wishful thinking and fairy tale crap.

When you finally port to atheism it feels like "Aaaaaaaaaaaah relaxing and wonderful smiley"
If it were relaxing and cool, you won't stock your library with so much books and visit the religion section just to curse the invisible Myth everyday. I have never seen a book well written as the Bible, it touches every aspect of human life, compressing history of nations and mankind and the role God played in it in a simple book. Teaching us how it is applicable in our present world and the promise of eternal bliss with the Sons of God, where there will never be weeping nor morning.

God brought His Son to die and be tortured, that he may be bond so that we can be free, He doesn't care about your sins, neither does he need your money. We been sinners, He promised us a home of bliss where we will live till eternity, where we will be slaves of righteousness , JERUSALEM. Requiring only that you believe.

What I know surely is that even knowing full well that He doesn't exist, believing removes no good from you, all the book of myth seeks for you is happiness, genuine happiness.

3 Likes

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by Weah96: 6:00pm On Apr 05, 2015
Hiswordxray:

I am not an atheist, I hate religion but God had reveal Himself to me and I love Christ.

During this revelation, did you see a Caucasian Jesus or an African one?

3 Likes

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by Hiswordxray(m): 7:06pm On Apr 05, 2015
Weah96:

During this revelation, did you see a Caucasian Jesus or an African one?
I saw a Jesus that is neither black nor white, a Jesus that is beyond race.

1 Like

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by Weah96: 8:27pm On Apr 05, 2015
Hiswordxray:

How can you believe in Jesus if you lie like this? Your own Jesus must be a politician. Human beings NOTICE color. He wasn't white, nor black then how did he LOOK? What color was his hair, was he na,ked, did he speak, which language and accent? You provide no details, like the child who is asked to write a book report on a book he hasn't yet read. Your lies will further distance people away from that psychosis you call an imaginary friend.

12 Likes

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by Hiswordxray(m): 8:58pm On Apr 05, 2015
Weah96:

How can you believe in Jesus if you lie like this? Your own Jesus must be a politician. Human beings NOTICE color. He wasn't white, nor black then how did he LOOK? What color was his hair, was he na,ked, did he speak, which language and accent? You provide no details, like the child who is asked to write a book report on a book he hasn't yet read. Your lies will further distance people away from that psychosis you call an imaginary friend.
"Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. " (2Cor 5:16)
I know Jesus not according to the flesh.
Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by Weah96: 9:38pm On Apr 05, 2015
Hiswordxray:

"Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. " (2Cor 5:16)
I know Jesus not according to the flesh.

My friend commot. This is not the Sixth Sense where you can talk to dead people. Hahaha. You are one funny dude.
Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by Nobody: 9:51pm On Apr 05, 2015
i left seminary school when i realized that "GOD" is a big hoax and i never turned back.

religion is a deliberate trickery intended to deceive and divert attentions to gain advantage and control humans.

1 Like

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by menesheh(m): 8:53am On Apr 06, 2015
Weah96:
DumPing, not dumbing, although religion is dumbing down the masses, so to speak. I left Christianity after years of skepticism because my brain couldn't rationalize it anymore. I could rationalize almost anything, even the fact that I had NEVER EVER spoken to the Jesus person. That didn't bother me at all, I assumed that he would speak when he was ready. But you'd be surprised at the straw that broke the camel's back.

I had a catharsis over that Joseph and Mary story. Not the ghost impregnation part, mind you, my brain was far too conditioned to notice THAT BS. What my brain found irreconcilable was the idea that Joseph, the husband or BF, actually believed the story that God impregnated his own wife. I couldn't think of any MALE on earth who would allow his girl to get away with that story. That was the threshold of my credulity. My brain rejected that story like an antigen from another galaxy. The rest of the book fell apart like a stack of dominoes.

There are more of such obscene and vulgar myths which are more of imagery in order to fill the gap in explaining how the universe and its contents came into existence by ancient men due to their naive and lack of modern technology to help explain the complexity of it.
Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by menesheh(m): 8:58am On Apr 06, 2015
MrPresident:
i left seminary school when i realized that "GOD" is a big hoax and i never turned back.

religion is a deliberate trickery intended to deceive and divert attentions to gain advantage and control humans.

U discovered it being a hoax by chance? grin Which medium helped you overcome the burden and shackle of it all?
Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by johnydon22(m): 9:25am On Apr 06, 2015
Misogynist2014:
If it were relaxing and cool, you won't stock your library with so much books and visit the religion section just to curse the invisible Myth everyday. I have never seen a book well written as the Bible, it touches every aspect of human life, compressing history of nations and mankind and the role God played in it in a simple book. Teaching us how it is applicable in our present world and the promise of eternal bliss with the Sons of God, where there will never be weeping nor morning.

God brought His Son to die and be tortured, that he may be bond so that we can be free, He doesn't care about your sins, neither does he need your money. We been sinners, He promised us a home of bliss where we will live till eternity, where we will be slaves of righteousness , JERUSALEM. Requiring only that you believe.

What I know surely is that even knowing full well that He doesn't exist, believing removes no good from you, all the book of myth seeks for you is happiness, genuine happiness.

First i read because i love reading, even as a religious person i read alot. to me life is not worth living without reading....Please i advice you get more books and read more ok.. Knowledge is powersmiley

Secondly i come to religious section because i love to argue. Too bad you failed to notice am also very active in science section...You haven't noticed we love making you religious people sound dumb (bcus u niggas dont read..lol) only revolve ya thinking on one primitive absurd fairy tale written by ancient jews because u worship an iron age jewish deity.

Atheist love to argue and show how absurd religions are.. So i am here for fun and moreover i also learn new things tho..

Life is beautiful when you are free and relaxed then when u are free throw in a little fun in nairaland.
its epic smiley

From other lower part of ur postz grin eeeyaaaah!!! he tortured his son, aaah thats too bad..

#WeFuckingLoveAtheism. smiley

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by malvisguy212: 9:39am On Apr 06, 2015
johnydon22:

First i read because i love reading, even as a religious person i read alot. to me life is not worth living without reading....Please i advice you get more books and read more ok.. Knowledge is powersmiley

Secondly i come to religious section because i love to argue. Too bad you failed to notice am also very active in science section...You haven't noticed we love making you religious people sound dumb (bcus u niggas dont read..lol) only revolve ya thinking on one primitive absurd fairy tale written by ancient jews because u worship an iron age jewish deity.

Atheist love to argue and show how absurd religions are.. So i am here for fun and moreover i also learn new things tho..

Life is beautiful when you are free and relaxed then when u are free throw in a little fun in nairaland.
its epic smiley

From other lower part of ur postz grin eeeyaaaah!!! he tortured his son, aaah thats too bad..

https://www.nairaland.com/2239640/why-fear-death#32399073
Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by johnydon22(m): 9:47am On Apr 06, 2015
malvisguy212:
https://www.nairaland.com/2239640/why-fear-death#32399073
Why should i fear death. If i am, death is not. if death is, i am not. why should i fear that which cannot exist when i do. smiley

Only you guys that believe in fairy tales and dabble in wishful thinking fear death..

Latest News #If you die, You will be fvcking dead grin

2 Likes

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by Nobody: 9:50am On Apr 06, 2015
Reading and understanding the Bible alone was enough to for me to know there was no God.

3 Likes

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by Misogynist2014(m): 9:55am On Apr 06, 2015
johnydon22:

its epic smiley

The greatest downfall of atheists is thinking that history is useless, the Bible says that: with the ancient is wisdom (quoting offhand and can be found in the book of Job). This same piece of trash predicted Science and technology in the last days!

12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.12:5 Then I Daniel looked, and, behold, there stood other two, the one on this side of the bank of the river, and the other on that side of the bank of the river.12:6 And one said to the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, How long shall it be to the end of these wonders? Daniel
Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by Nobody: 9:57am On Apr 06, 2015
menesheh:

U discovered it being a hoax by chance? grin Which medium helped you overcome the burden and shackle of it all?

non by chance bro, deep learning and researches led to deep discoveries, finally self emancipation, wasn't an easy ride though ....a hell lot of stories shaa..., but as an ex-seminarian and a bachelor of theology (B.Th) words can't explicate how phenomenal it was breaking out of the mental prison of theism.
as for the burdens and shackles, hhmm!! they didn't survive the mental freedom state that came with my breakthrough, they died naturally. grin

1 Like

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by Nobody: 10:07am On Apr 06, 2015
Hiswordxray:

Oga, re u still seeing the jesus, if you continue seeing that jesus, am sorry you need urgent psychiatric medical attention Sir,
no offense it could be early symptoms of schizophrenic disorder, in other words dementia praecox.

your doctor will explain better.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by johnydon22(m): 10:12am On Apr 06, 2015
Misogynist2014:
The greatest downfall of atheists is thinking that history is useless, the Bible says that: with the ancient is wisdom (quoting offhand and can be found in the book of Job). This same piece of trash predicted Science and technology in the last days!

12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.12:5 Then I Daniel looked, and, behold, there stood other two, the one on this side of the bank of the river, and the other on that side of the bank of the river.12:6 And one said to the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, How long shall it be to the end of these wonders? Daniel
Right on the contrary, we enjoy history so much. but we know the difference between a real historical fact and mythology. thats the difference between us.

We also enjoy mythology because they are good and enjoyable but we dont go believing and insisting they are true. we know myth to be myth, fables to be fables and recognize real historical materials as supported by archeological evidence and criteria stated by modern history.. smiley

2 Likes

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by onetrack(m): 10:35am On Apr 06, 2015
The reason I abandoned religion and am now an atheist can be summed up ironically with a verse from the Bible grin

"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways." 1 Corinthians 13:11

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by malvisguy212: 10:39am On Apr 06, 2015
johnydon22:

Why should i fear death. If i am, death is not. if death is, i am not. why should i fear that which cannot exist when i do. smiley

Only you guys that believe in fairy tales and dabble in wishful thinking fear death..

Latest News #If you die, You will be fvcking dead grin
I do not create the thread for debate, I don't know if you are lying or not, I ask a very important question in the thread, (the last sentence in the thread) go and read the thread when you finished, type your answer "YES"or"NO" and you pass by.
Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by johnydon22(m): 10:48am On Apr 06, 2015
malvisguy212:
I do not create the thread for debate, I don't know if you are lying or not, I ask a very important question in the thread, (the last sentence in the thread) go and read the thread when you finished, type your answer "YES"or"NO" and you pass by.
its very simple.. i summed it all for you.. #When you die, You are fvcking dead.. simple.. NEXT!!!

1 Like

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by malvisguy212: 11:15am On Apr 06, 2015
Dp
Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by malvisguy212: 11:15am On Apr 06, 2015
johnydon22:

its very simple.. i summed it all for you.. #When you die, You are fvcking dead.. simple.. NEXT!!!
Ready? Quote the thread.don't be afraid.
Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by Misogynist2014(m): 11:28am On Apr 06, 2015
johnydon22:
Right on the contrary, we enjoy history so much. but we know the difference between a real historical fact and mythology. thats the difference between us.

We also enjoy mythology because they are good and enjoyable but we dont go believing and insisting they are true. we know myth to be myth, fables to be fables and recognize real historical materials as supported by archeological evidence and criteria stated by modern history.. smiley
What is amazing about the Bible is how the New Testament quotes the Old Testament with amazing certainty as if it is the final authority (it is). Many ancient nation would have been forgotten but for the Bible. It is much better arguing about historicity of the Bible than calling it a myth cos no myth is written the way the Bible is with amazing orderliness of History. I read about Xerses in the book of Esther and it brought me very close to history such that an average man doesn't doubt, even without evidence.

“Critics have claimed that the Bible contains all kinds of factual errors. Is the Bible
trustworthy when it speaks of historical matters?”
The Bible contains two kinds of information. Some of it can be checked; some of it
cannot. For example, it is not possible to “check” scientifically the accuracy of Genesis
1:1 — “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” While the affirmation is
not in any way inconsistent with available scientific data, at the same time the
statement is one of pre-human history and therefore does not lend itself to empirical
investigation.
On the other hand, the Scriptures contain hundreds of references that arise out of the
background of human history. These may be tested for accuracy. If it is the case that
the Bible is demonstrated to be precise in thousands of historical details, it is not
unreasonable to conclude that its information in other matters is equally correct.
In fact, one of the most amazing features of the Bible is its uncanny reliability in the
smallest of details. Let us note a few examples of biblical precision.
(1) During His personal ministry, Jesus once passed through the region of Samaria. Near
Sychar, the Lord stopped for a brief rest at Jacob’s well. He engaged a Samaritan
woman in conversation, during which He suggested that He could provide the woman
with water that could perpetually quench her thirst. Misunderstanding the nature of the
Master’s instruction, the woman, alluding to Jacob’s well, declared: “Sir, you have
nothing to draw with, and the well is deep” (Jn. 4:11). The statement is quite correct, for
even now, some twenty centuries later, Jacob’s well is approximately 80 feet deep — the
equivalent of an eight-story building!
(2) Reflect upon another example. In Acts 10 there is the account of Peter’s visit in the
city of Joppa. Luke declared that Peter was staying in the home of Simon, a tanner of
animal hides. Then the historian said, almost as an afterthought, “whose house is by the
seaside” (Acts 10:6). Hugh J. Schonfield, author of the infamous book, The Passover Plot
(and certainly no friend of Christianity), has commented on this passage as follows:
“This is an interesting factual detail, because the tanners used sea water in the
process of converting hides into leather. The skins were soaked in the sea and then
treated with lime before the hair was scraped of” (The Bible Was Right, New York:
The New American Library, 1959, p. 98).
(3) Consider another interesting case of Bible precision. When Paul was en route to
Rome for trial, the ship upon which he sailed became involved in a terrible storm. When
it eventually became apparent that the vessel was in a very dangerous circumstance,
the crew cast the ship’s anchors into the water. At the same time, they “loosed the
rudder bands, hoisted up the foresail, and aimed the ship towards the beach” (Acts 27:40
KJV).
There is an interesting and subtle point in the Greek text that is not apparent in the King
James Version. The original language actually says that they “loosed the bands of the
rudders” (plural – see ASV). This is amazingly precise, for in ancient times, ships
actually possessed two paddle-rudders, not a single rudder as with modern vessels. In
1969, a submerged ancient ship was discovered in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of
Cyprus. An examination of the ruins gave evidence of dual rudder-oars by which the boat
was steered (see National Geographic, November 1974), thus demonstrating the
remarkable accuracy of Luke’s record.
The Bible can be tested — historically, geographically, scientifically, etc. And it always
passes the test. Its incredible accuracy can be explained only in light of its divine
inspiration.
Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by johnydon22(m): 11:46am On Apr 06, 2015
whats all this copy and paste for

2 Likes

Re: To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm by menesheh(m): 11:52am On Apr 06, 2015
ifeness:
Reading and understanding the Bible alone was enough to for me to know there was no God.

Yours is funny

But i doubt only reading and understanding the Bible can rescue you from "all time immemorial indoctrination" from your parents, guidiance, peers, society etc.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Science Agenda To Exterminate Blacks / Purpose Driven Life Of A Christian By God / How Satan Stop Prayers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.