Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,795 members, 7,956,036 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:58 PM

Why I Like Chinese Language - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why I Like Chinese Language (704 Views)

Anyone Learning Chinese Language? / Learn To Speak Chinese Language Within One Month! / Chinese Men's Marriages To African Women Causes Controversy In China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why I Like Chinese Language by mumumugu(m): 9:41pm On Jul 15, 2014
Chinese is the most delightful language , thanks to it’s beautiful literalism. There is a finite amount of characters available in written Chinese, so instead of inventing new words as technology progresses, existing characters are combined newly. The results are fantastic.

What do you call an airplane?
Flying machine. 飞机
What do you call a cellphone?
Hand machine. 手机
What do you call a computer?
Electric brain. 电脑
What’s pollen?
Flower powder. 花粉

Sometimes I can guess how to say something by rewording it to something I know how to say. “How do you say to bloom?” I ask, then ponder the answer. “Kāihuā?” (开花, open flower) This time, I’m correct.
Sometimes there are simple combinations that express something I don’t know how to gracefully say in English: I just learned yǎnshéng, eye spirit— the emotions or personality conveyed by your eyes.

Sometimes the combinations make no sense at all, at least not to me:

pocket is 口袋, mouth bag.

This is probably why English auto-translated from Chinese is often an absolute (though comical) mess.
Even though it is very difficult to understand, and though I’m more or less completely illiterate, the literalism in Chinese keeps my language-learning process joyful.

What do you call a train?
Fire car. 火车 (think steam engine)

What do you call an hippopotamus?

River horse. 河马

What do you call a rhinoceros?
Sharp cow. 犀牛

1 Like

Re: Why I Like Chinese Language by Nobody: 1:01am On Jul 16, 2014
Pretty cool. I wonder how it differs to the Japanese language.

How long have you been learning?

(1) (Reply)

2016 Ogoni Landmark Achievements / Ugandans, Rwanda And Kenya To Get Rid Of Passports / Some One Should Please Help With My Assignment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.