Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,982 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:18 PM

Dictatorship Under The Sun - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Dictatorship Under The Sun (598 Views)

Pic. A Letter The To The Sun(must Read) / Woman Vomits Padlock, Delivers Turtle In Lagos - The Sun / Marriage Is Not A Dictatorship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Dictatorship Under The Sun by HerexG(m): 7:03am On Jul 16, 2014
“You can take a donkey to a stream
But you cannot force it to drink”

With the proverbial quote above i start this write-up….

Dictatorship, has eaten up every atom of
feelings and reasoning of many people most especially in African. If only you will be very sincere with yourselves, dictatorship is more prevalent and synonymous among the African community. Maybe it is the colonialism syndrome the colonial masters left in African before finally leaving or is it an African thing. Dictatorship runs in most areas or sectors in African, it runs from the family down to the upper most government level (exempting the Late President Nelson Mandela).

But I will lay emphasis of the dictatorship in the family level. Just recently a 21 years old young man Tolani Ajayi was arrested by the Nigeria police force for
hacking his own father, he was asked why he did such a gruesome act to his own father. The boy reportedly said that

” His father was praying and he refused to reply by saying “amen” to the father’s prayers, this aggravated the father and he went inside the kitchen to pickup a cooking spoon to hit his son maybe probably on the head, then the boy went
out of control and did the unthinkable”

Now let’s us not all crucify this young man for the dastardly act he committed, let’s try looking at it from another point of view . First why should a father compel a 21 years old man to do something
that is against his wish, that is pure dictatorship, is it by force to pray ? The father must have been doing this to the young man repeatedly to the young man but the young man got to the peek of
his annoyance and grievance that very day.

You can’t keep dictating for your child forever parents, because those children also have a mind of their own too. Once a child is up to the stage of adulthood, he or she should be given absolute space to decide and live his or her life.

( The authorities should be thinking more of rehabilitating this young man than prosecuting him)

Even the kids needs some amount of space too, they need learn to start making decisions of their own early enough before attaining adulthood, this
is the difference between an African child and the Western child. You will see a grown man of over 30 years of age still living with his parents or guidance, because all his whole life he has been
living on the rulership and guidance of his parents. It is not until a child attains adulthood he or she would start learning how to become independent and start behaving like an adult .

As a result of being over protective and
authoritative the African parents is turned into a figurative dictator to the African children

* They will decide for the child what to eat, even if it is against the child’s wish

* They will decide and choose the child’s patner

* They will decide and choose the child’s career

* They will choose the friends and associates of the child

* They will choose where and where not to go for a child

* They will choose their clothings

* They will monitor every moment of the child just like a monitoring spirit, this happens to the female child most especially

*They will dictate their belief and faith

* They will even think for the child
And many more absurd dictatorship rules

This is the major reason why it appears that the western child is more intelligent and smarter than the African child, it is not that the western child are naturally smarter or more intelligent than the African child. The western child are given more opportunities to use their head to figure out life themselves, so that before attaining adulthood they will know the path to follow.

( The colonial masters left us with a kind of education that we Africans will be forever dependent on them, subjects, plans, pattern and curriculum in our schools today needs a serious reformation, this is another topic for another day )

The African parents are so engrossed and carried away with this quote from the mythical book written by outdated primitive men, the book have succeeded in consuming the African man’s thinking, thoughts and psychology, a book given
to us by the (not also forgetting the mythical book which gives praises to a villain character) western missionary but they themselves (The westerners) don’t really practice what the book entails

” Spare the rod and spoil the child “

How about
” Break the rod and let the child understand”

There are other correction methods better than the all famous and less yielding ‘spanking’ method, majority of the Africans parents have embraced. They are compelling the children to learn the hard way, with fear and pains, which is exposing them to early violence, aggression and brutality, but know this our kids are no slave or animals (even animal brutality is against the law in a more civilized society). Permit me to use this illustration, a child is like a higher and more sophisticated hardware machine without a software, they have great abilities to assimilate and process given information if installed properly. We all need space and independence even as a child too, long live African and the world

By HerexG

https://herexg./2014/07/14/wow-dictatorship-under-the-sun/

2 Likes

Re: Dictatorship Under The Sun by 2scorehigh(m): 6:00am On Jul 29, 2014
Wow! I think you have a point there!

By the way, I hope you are the one that chose this your handle because I like the name wella! grin
Re: Dictatorship Under The Sun by HerexG(m): 4:07pm On Jul 29, 2014
2scorehigh: Wow! I think you have a point there!

By the way, I hope you are the one that chose this your handle because I like the name wella! grin

Thanks bro, HerexG is my nickname, that's what they call me on street ( if you know what I mean).

(1) (Reply)

I Would Have Killed The Pervert - Father Of Molested Boy. / It’s True I Have Policeman Boyfriend, But I Told My Hubby About Him —wife / Few Weeks To Wedding, Young Lady Jumps Down From Speeding Vehicle And Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.