Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,382 members, 7,822,792 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

3 Essential Steps To Better Writing - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 3 Essential Steps To Better Writing (548 Views)

5 Steps To Stop Procrastinating Once And For All / 8 Steps To Toast...."You Don't Need Nepa" / How To Develop Better Writing Habits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Essential Steps To Better Writing by TRWConsult(m): 1:26pm On Jul 17, 2014
Becoming a better writer boils down to three simple steps:
1. Study – you learn the principles of good writing and the conventions of your chosen form. You study the rules of grammar and learn when it’s okay to break them. You seek to understand other elements of good writing, such as tone, pace and structure. You explore purpose and theme. And you recognize that there will always be more to learn.

2. Practice – you write and rewrite until your work is as good as your current skills allow. You create a writing habit and commit to a daily target. You write when you’re in the zone and you write when you’re not. You write when friends are out having fun because you said to them: “No, I have to write.”

3. Feedback – you seek comments and criticism from other writers, friends, teachers, perhaps a mentor. You know these people are an imperfect stand-in for your real audience, but understand that feedback is the fuel that drives your advancement. And when the feedback suggests that your writing falls short, you return to study and to practice.

This learning cycle is essential because it helps you to hone your writing instincts. It trains the internal critic that guides the hundreds of tiny decisions you make each time you sit down and write.

Courtesy: Write To Done
Re: 3 Essential Steps To Better Writing by PrettySpicey(f): 1:50pm On Jul 17, 2014
I need to work on Number 2. I seem to write only when I'm in the zone.

Thanks
Re: 3 Essential Steps To Better Writing by ESIXLOVE: 2:26pm On Jul 17, 2014
i need to work on all. Because i'm too lazy.
Re: 3 Essential Steps To Better Writing by rudepen(m): 3:34pm On Jul 17, 2014
I feel inferior wn sum1 criticiz ma wrks.... M l00kin for a publisher th0...b0ut 2 finish ma first n0vel...

(1) (Reply)

How To Improve Your Researching Skills And Write Accurately (part One) / What Is A Poet / Driving With Crazy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.