Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,006 members, 7,821,525 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:21 PM

Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! (1040 Views)

Mexico Vs Nigeria FIFA U17 WC Final (0 - 3) On 8th November 2013 / Sweden Vs Nigeria: FIFA U-17 WC Semi-Final (0 - 3) On 5th November 2013 / Sweden V Nigeria: FIFA U-17 World Cup (3 - 3) On 22nd October 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! by kingRenny: 2:20pm On Jul 17, 2014
"Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so Silly"! I am beginning to think there is someone up there who does not like Nigeria! Maybe someone here can help me,here goes.
The new FIFA Rankings have been released today Thursday 17th July and once again it has left me baffled.Nigeria have been ranked 34th in the world and No 3 in Africa,next is Algeria 24th in the world,No1 in Africa,while Ivory Coast is 25th in the world and No2 in Africa.
Nigeria won the Africa nations cup,beat and demolished the overwhelming favourites Ivory Coast,did not lose a match in the tournament and yet were not ranked No1 in Africa.Ghana,Algeria who didn't make last 4,Ivory Coast who they had thrashed along the way and who didn't even make the top 4 were all placed above them.
In the world cup qualifying,Nigeria did not lose a game either and despite being defending champions were outside the Top 3.Fast forward to the World cup,Only Nigeria and Algeria make the last 16,Ivory Coast did not,yet the rankings come out again Algeria are 24th in the World No1 in Africa while Nigeria is No 3 in Africa and 34th in the world! Even Ivory Coast who did not win the Nations cup or make the last 16 of the World cup are 2nd in Africa and 25th in the world!!! I will like to know what criteria they use cos i think someone is seriously on an illegal substance at the FIFA OFFICES!!
Oh by the way Germany and Argentina have been ranked 1st and 2nd respectively, so it's ok to be No 1 if you win the world cup and No 2 if you came second,but not in Africa?
And the worst part is i don't hear anybody at the Nigeria Football Federation curiously question this.The way things are,Nigeria will have to win the World Cup to be No 2 in Africa!
Absolutely unbelievable! Muppets!
KingRenny writes for "Nigerian Blog Queen of the Naija Blog"

1 Like

Re: Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! by RayMcBlue(m): 2:45pm On Jul 17, 2014
Several factors to consider, mate.

African Rankings prior to the world cup:
-Algeria: 22
-CIV: 23
-Ghana: 37
-Nigeria: 44
-Cameroon: 56

African Rankings after the World Cup:
-Algeria: 2nd round elimination: 24 (dropped 2 places)
-CIV: First round Elimination: 25 (dropped 2 places)
-Nigeria: 2nd Round Elimination: 34 (Gained 10 spots)
-Ghana: Ist Round Elimination: 38 (Dropped one spot)
-Cameroon: Ist Round Elimination: 53 (Gained 3 spots)

By the above stats, your country did quite well. I honestly can't see the silliness in that.
Re: Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! by winiwini: 2:47pm On Jul 17, 2014
Bros no provoke... Get the formula
Re: Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! by Ashantiking: 2:53pm On Jul 17, 2014
kingRenny: "Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so S...."! I am beginning to think there is someone up there who does not like Nigeria! Maybe someone here can help me,here goes.
The new FIFA Rankings have been released today Thursday 17th July and once again it has left me baffled.Nigeria have been ranked 34th in the world and No 3 in Africa,next is Algeria 24th in the world,No1 in Africa,while Ivory Coast is 25th in the world and No2 in Africa.
Nigeria won the Africa nations cup,beat and demolished the overwhelming favourites Ivory Coast,did not lose a match in the tournament and yet were not ranked No1 in Africa.Ghana,Algeria who didn't make last 4,Ivory Coast who they had thrashed along the way and who didn't even make the top 4 were all placed above them.
In the world cup qualifying,Nigeria did not lose a game either and despite being defending champions were outside the Top 3.Fast forward to the World cup,Only Nigeria and Algeria make the last 16,Ivory Coast did not,yet the rankings come out again Algeria are 24th in the World No1 in Africa while Nigeria is No 3 in Africa and 34th in the world! Even Ivory Coast who did not win the Nations cup or make the last 16 of the World cup are 2nd in Africa and 25th in the world!!! I will like to know what criteria they use cos i think someone is seriously on an illegal substance at the FIFA OFFICES!!
Oh by the way Germany and Argentina have been ranked 1st and 2nd respectively, so it's ok to be No 1 if you win the world cup and No 2 if you came second,but not in Africa?
And the worst part is i don't hear anybody at the Nigeria Football Federation curiously question this.The way things are,Nigeria will have to win the World Cup to be No 2 in Africa!

Ghana did not make the last four. Ghana has been in semifinals four straight afcon.
Re: Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! by kingRenny: 4:49pm On Jul 17, 2014
RayMcBlue: Several factors to consider, mate.

African Rankings prior to the world cup:
-Algeria: 22
-CIV: 23
-Ghana: 37
-Nigeria: 44
-Cameroon: 56

African Rankings after the World Cup:
-Algeria: 2nd round elimination: 24 (dropped 2 places)
-CIV: First round Elimination: 25 (dropped 2 places)
-Nigeria: 2nd Round Elimination: 34 (Gained 10 spots)
-Ghana: Ist Round Elimination: 38 (Dropped one spot)
-Cameroon: Ist Round Elimination: 53 (Gained 3 spots)

By the above stats, your country did quite well. I honestly can't see the silliness in that.
You are not getting it mate..Nigeria was the African Champions before the World cup! Explain that..and explain why Algeria who didnt make last 4 at the African Cup of Nations are still higher than the African champions! Yet they were 22 places higher than Nigeria who were the champions before the world cup..absolutely ridiculous,infact your stats here makes it more laughable! Those guys are unbelievable! 22 places above the African Champions?Who didn't lose a match in the tournament?
Re: Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! by kingRenny: 4:51pm On Jul 17, 2014
winiwini: Bros no provoke... Get the formula
Why don't you explain the formular then? Like i said in this post,if anyone could help,i'm all ears..so whats the formular then?
Re: Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! by Domwiz4all(m): 5:11pm On Jul 17, 2014
FIFA ranking or European ranking?
Re: Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! by RayMcBlue(m): 5:32pm On Jul 17, 2014
kingRenny: You are not getting it mate..Nigeria was the African Champions before the World cup! Explain that..and explain why Algeria who didnt make last 4 at the African Cup of Nations are still higher than the African champions! Yet they were 22 places higher than Nigeria who were the champions before the world cup..absolutely ridiculous,infact your stats here makes it more laughable! Those guys are unbelievable! 22 places above the African Champions?Who didn't lose a match in the tournament?

You don't get it, do you? Before we can go further with this, let's break down the formula. Teams get points for each international match based on four factors, and the final ranking consists of all a team's points over a four-year window.

This is the formula:

*M (points for match result): Teams get 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, 0 points for a loss.

*I (importance of match): This multiplier is fixed based on perceived importance of each competition, as follows:
*Friendly game: 1.0
*World Cup qualifier : 2.5
*Confederation's Cup or confederation-level competition (like the Euros): 3.0
*World Cup game: 4.0

*T (strength of opponent): T=200 - (ranking of
opponent). So if you play, Ist-ranked Germany, T=198. And if you play 80th-ranked Haiti, T=120.

*C (strength of confederation): This multiplier is fixed by the perceived strength of each continent. The mean between the two numbers is used when teams from different continents play each other:
*Europe/South America: 1.0
*North/Central America: 0.88
*Asia/Africa: 0.86
*Oceania: 0.85

Multiply those four numbers together, and you get your FIFA ranking points for each game. Add up all of a team's points over a four-year window (with more recent games weighted more heavily), and you get its total FIFA ranking points.

The ranking takes the last four years of games into
account, as follows:
*Four years ago: 20% weight
*Three years ago: 30% weight
*Two years ago: 50% weight
*Current year: 100% weight

¿Comprénde?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! by tobiboss(m): 5:41pm On Jul 17, 2014
^^Wow people get time oh
Re: Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! by kingRenny: 5:52pm On Jul 17, 2014
Ashantiking: .

Ghana did not make the last four. God punish your dirty mouth. Ghana has been in semifinals four straight afcon.
You obviously didn't go to school or can't read,that's why that God of yours is punishing you..fool..if you look closely you will see that Algeria followed Ghana in sequence,meaning it was Algeria i was referring to..why do you guys have to be so rude and uncouth on social media?Let's assume i was wrong,would it be too much to simply correct me and say,you were wrong Ghana did qualify?People like you are what is wrong with Africa today! Sad people with sad lives!
Re: Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! by kingRenny: 6:02pm On Jul 17, 2014
RayMcBlue:

You don't get it, do you? Before we can go further with this, let's break down the formula. Teams get points for each international match based on four factors, and the final ranking consists of all a team's points over a four-year window.

This is the formula:

*M (points for match result): Teams get 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, 0 points for a loss.

*I (importance of match): This multiplier is fixed based on perceived importance of each competition, as follows:
*Friendly game: 1.0
*World Cup qualifier : 2.5
*Confederation's Cup or confederation-level competition (like the Euros): 3.0
*World Cup game: 4.0

*T (strength of opponent): T=200 - (ranking of
opponent). So if you play, Ist-ranked Germany, T=198. And if you play 80th-ranked Haiti, T=120.

*C (strength of confederation): This multiplier is fixed by the perceived strength of each continent. The mean between the two numbers is used when teams from different continents play each other:
*Europe/South America: 1.0
*North/Central America: 0.88
*Asia/Africa: 0.86
*Oceania: 0.85

Multiply those four numbers together, and you get your FIFA ranking points for each game. Add up all of a team's points over a four-year window (with more recent games weighted more heavily), and you get its total FIFA ranking points.

The ranking takes the last four years of games into
account, as follows:
*Four years ago: 20% weight
*Three years ago: 30% weight
*Two years ago: 50% weight
*Current year: 100% weight

¿Comprénde?
Ray, i get it very much and i'm aware of most of the things you posted here,maybe not so in detail,but i know how it works,Nigeria have been third in the last 4 Africa cup of Nations,they actually have a better record than Algeria,as per games played,you need to check Nigeria's results.They have actually done better in non African friendly matches.There is no way Algerian have played better oppositions than Nigeria in the last 4 years to warrant them being 22 points ahead of the African champions going to the world cup! 22 points? Thats ridiculous,you are speaking strictly on the criteria,which i very much don't trust FIFA on.And if FIFA have judged these strictly on meaningless friendly matches then that is equally doubly ridiculous! I am African,i follow these matches and i just can't see how Algeria who have not won nothing since god knows when can be 22 places ahead of Nigeria!
Re: Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! by Ashantiking: 6:23pm On Jul 17, 2014
kingRenny: "Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so S...."! I am beginning to think there is someone up there who does not like Nigeria! Maybe someone here can help me,here goes.

Well I was wrong for insulting you, but you made a mistake. According to your statement which is bolded. You said Ghana, Algeria meaning Ghana and Algeria.

You are also wrong for insulting me back. While I was wrong for insulting you I am right in my statement.
Re: Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! by RayMcBlue(m): 6:29pm On Jul 17, 2014
kingRenny:
Ray, i get it very much and i'm aware of most of the things you posted here,maybe not so in detail,but i know how it works,Nigeria have been third in the last 4 Africa cup of Nations,they actually have a better record than Algeria,as per games played,you need to check Nigeria's results.They have actually done better in non African friendly matches.There is no way Algerian have played better oppositions than Nigeria in the last 4 years to warrant them being 22 points ahead of the African champions going to the world cup! 22 points? Thats ridiculous,you are speaking strictly on the criteria,which i very much don't trust FIFA on.And if FIFA have judged these strictly on meaningless friendly matches then that is equally doubly ridiculous! I am African,i follow these matches and i just can't see how Algeria who have not won nothing since god knows when can be 22 places ahead of Nigeria!

Again, I'll let the stats speak for me.

Algeria's 6 international matches prior to the World Cup
*Algeria 1 - 0 Mali
*Burkina Faso 3 - 2 Algeria
*Algeria 1 - 0 Burkina Faso
*Algeria 2 - 0 Slovenia
*Algeria 3 - 1 Armenia
*Algeria 2 - 1 Romania

(5 wins, 0 draw, 1 loss)

Nigeria's 6 International matches prior to the World Cup
*Nigeria 0 - 0 Ghana
*Zimbabwe 0 - 1 Nigeria
*Mexico 0 - 0 Nigeria
*Nigeria 2 - 2 Scotland
*Greece 0 - 0 Nigeria

*United States 2 - 1 Nigeria
(1 win, 4 draws, 1 loss)

Algeria's pole position in Africa is well merited. In fact, I think the credibility of this thread is ridiculous. This is probably my last response to your thoughtless notions.
Re: Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! by kingRenny: 6:47pm On Jul 17, 2014
RayMcBlue:

Again, I'll let the stats speak for me.

Algeria's 6 international matches prior to the World Cup
*Algeria 1 - 0 Mali
*Burkina Faso 3 - 2 Algeria
*Algeria 1 - 0 Burkina Faso
*Algeria 2 - 0 Slovenia
*Algeria 3 - 1 Armenia
*Algeria 2 - 1 Romania

(5 wins, 0 draw, 1 loss)

Nigeria's 6 International matches prior to the World Cup
*Nigeria 0 - 0 Ghana
*Zimbabwe 0 - 1 Nigeria
*Mexico 0 - 0 Nigeria
*Nigeria 2 - 2 Scotland
*Greece 0 - 0 Nigeria

*United States 2 - 1 Nigeria
(1 win, 4 draws, 1 loss)

Algeria's pole position in Africa is well merited. In fact, I think the credibility of this thread is ridiculous. This is probably my last response to your thoughtless notions.
Pls don't make me laugh,we been getting on fine all along,no need to be upset,the language used is fine and there has been cordial respect..your stats are funny and contradicting i must say..so you have ignored meaningful matches and came up with useless friendly matches that are meant to try out players for the world cup? Anybody who knows anything about football will know friendlies are meaningless.You are gonna give Algeria the top spot when they could not even make the Q finals of their own continent over the champion of that continent who lost no competitive matches? You must work for FIFA..I rest my case,theres nothing more to say,if FIFA have truly made their list based on this friendly matches..well,once again nothing to say.I was right all along,ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS! By the way,where were Slovenia,Armenia and Romania at the world cup? I must have missed them! lol
Re: Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! by kingRenny: 6:51pm On Jul 17, 2014
Ashantiking:

Well I was wrong for insulting you, but you made a mistake. According to your statement which is bolded. You said Ghana, Algeria meaning Ghana and Algeria.

You are also wrong for insulting me back. While I was wrong for insulting you I am right in my statement.
I'm glad to see your reply was much better and respectful,thanx.We can all get along,but you can't blame me for insulting you back lol...When i WROTE Ghana,there was a coma before Algeria .So they are seperated,if i meant both countries,i would have said Ghana and Algeria... peace bro.
Re: Nigeria FIFA RANKING is so silly! by ClintonNzedimma(m): 7:35pm On Jul 17, 2014
Ashantiking:

my respect goes to this Ghanaian Ashantiking.....see d way he replied.....look we are all one, i Rep NaijaGhana Movement....u deserve a round of applause

(1) (Reply)

Ronaldo, Lil Wayne Go Into Business Partnership / Break The Bank With Virtual Football League (vfl) / Ronaldo Voted The Greatest Athlete Of All Time.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.