Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,303 members, 7,819,026 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language (3531 Views)

Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman / Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me When I Was Learning How To Code / Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by hadi1991(m): 8:04pm On Jul 22, 2014
guy how much dem da pay u, wen python surpass Java and we don't know. Python is good but stop dis hyping... u are discouraging pple from it.
imaging python pass Java .wen b dat?
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by Javanian: 2:24am On Jul 25, 2014
spikesC:
second part, java and c++ being wrong

Introductory to programming languages are meant to introduce a newbie to various basic concepts of programming like Program development life cycle, variables, statements and expressions without scaring the learner by making him/her pass through the turmoil of other advanced programming concepts. Take Java for example, to write a program to do a simple addition would require me to declare a class, have a main method, import classes for standard input and so on...

How do you want to explain to a beginner what

public static void main(String[] args)

do in a program and why i have to included it in a program before it works? WTF is public? WTF is static? WTF is void main(String[] args)?

How do you want to explain to a newbie why i have to

import java.util.Scanner;

Just to read from input? WTF is util? WTF is Scanner?

Languages like Qbasic, fortran, pyhton and pascal makes such things a lot more easier to explain. They have a high level of abstraction where both the teachers and students can concentrate on how to do this, and worry less on why we did this.

C++ even makes it worse.
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by Javanian: 2:37am On Jul 25, 2014
dhtml: When i was telling someone just a few days back that they should not be counting qbasic, fortran as programming languages because they are profitless, there was argument.
Even the Nigerian students themselves, most of them dont research and dont know their left from their right.

dhtml: It counts actually, but . . . for a professional profile?

They are programming languages used to introduce computer science student to basic programming concepts. I am yet to hear of any school home or abroad that teaches only QBasic and FORTRAN. Universities eventually teach the likes of C, C++, Java and Assembly at a later stage. The Computer science syllabubs is planned to accommodate students who are even yet to learn how to do a Cold Boot on Computer System talk more of writing a single line of code, hence the presence of computer appreciation courses in their first year in school.
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by Javanian: 2:43am On Jul 25, 2014
asalimpo:

there's everythg wrong with teachg Basic. EvRY THING WRONG.
the only reason this nonsense can go on in Nigerian Institutions is because Lecturers get away with too much slackness. What does it take a H.O.D to browse d net,see d trends and revise the departments curriculum?

As explained in my penultimate post, Languages like Qbasic, Pascal and Fortran are used to introduce students to Basic Programming concepts, so except you can prove that those languages cannot achieve the aforementioned, you have no case.
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by Javanian: 2:45am On Jul 25, 2014
asalimpo:
There is no excuse for this other thn laziness and apathy.
If their counterparts in other countries are writg textbooks in mainstream programming languages alongside keepg their jobs wat does does a nigerian lecturer have to say?
The languages in use are over 40+yrs old. You cant get current textbooks on them. How old must it b in a fast changg field where new languages are created evry year and updated every month (in some case)?
Students shud push against this crap theyre being spoonfed.

Java is almost 20 years old. Scala almost 8, clojure around 6, c++ almost 30,python 24 . How long would it take a lecturer to learn a mainstream langauge enuff to teach it and upgrade a mouldy curriculum?
A year(at most at a very lazy pace).
There's no valid excuse.

I may be wrong and i stand to be corrected but i am yet to hear of any University that teaches students how to use frameworks as part of her Computer science syllabus.
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by Javanian: 2:46am On Jul 25, 2014
losprince: our com 112 lecturer finished dictating the note from his phone... screams "ASSIGNMENT NUMBER 15!" smiling, he dictates the question-"these assignment I'm giving you people will help you know the subject" subject? he is calling the course a subject.. with a mean face he says "make sure you write your text book serial number or else..." walks out of the class...

and that is how we are taught

Please which school are you referring to here?
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by asalimpo(m): 2:23pm On Jul 25, 2014
Javanian:

As explained in my penultimate post, Languages like Qbasic, Pascal and Fortran are used to introduce students to Basic Programming concepts, so except you can prove that those languages cannot achieve the aforementioned, you have no case.

Comg from a country and continent tht is not leadg d pack ,ur explanation may pass otherwise it doesnt hold.
If d nigerian universities ar starved for ideas, they cud simply copy wat their contemporaries in frst wrlds ar doing.
The title of ths post says frst wrld unis are switchg frst languages. Y dont they buy ur/9ja uni logic and stck with 40/50 yr old obsolete languages?
Languages tht teach deprecated concepts like goto , begin/end/endif for block delimiters when universally,
shorter symbols hav come to stay
{}. Languages, tht ddnt handle recursion!, languages tht used unsightly UPPERCASE words for evry thng and line numbers in increments of 10s. Is this education or mutilation?
Languages students cnt go online and buy books on or download compilers on?
Wat concept is being conveyed in ths deprecated rusty langs tht cudnt b conveyed in a mainstream language ?
Y not teach wth a language a student cud get a compiler in and practce with lots of open source code in,tonnes of videos,ebooks etc?
If they teach mainstream languages later on, then d student will hav to unlearn piles of useless learng acquired earlier? Isnt this the epitome of foolishness?
First u learn how to jump with goto and write code preceded with a line number, wen u gettg used to it, ur told in another language course tht such concepts are obsolete and new languages dnt support them.
So y teach it in d first place?

How many of d lecturers actually use wat they teach? How many write real wrld code at all?
because a lecturer writg real wrld production level code would either hav to write a compiler for the obsolete tech he's teachg or use a modern tool.
There's no xcuse. The nigerian system is moribund, decayed and un innovatve. The only reason som1 will still b teachg Basic,fortran,pascal is because thts all he/she knows and he/she is too lazy to learn somthg more modern. The only reason departmnts can allow this poo is cuz it's a one way system. Students ar docile sheeps who ar suppose to take watever garbage their fed without complaing. Its a monopolistc syndicate thts y its innefficient. Y is electrcty very poor in Ngria? Cuz Nepa is a monopoly, wthout competition or threat of sanction,and thoroughly corrupt and it's customers are nothg but docile sheep. Just like customers were at d mercy of nitel staff in d pre-gsm era, the moment customers are empowered to appraise sellers you'll see d change. Wen customers had a call choice, nitel dissapeared as it never existed.
And u bet no one ever wants to go back to the pre-gsm days.
The moment students hav a say on who teaches them, and wat goes into their minds, the moment students can impose change without fear, the moment students can switch universities like sim cards, the moment lazy ,randy,threateng lecturers can b sacked at students recommendations , just like customers can switch and speak out against bad products, then these nonsense will end. Som phd's have not written 1 single research paper in 10yrs! Yet u want to teach ? And threaten governmnt for salary increase! Most professors hav not published any artcle in top rated international journals! So wat are professing? Students shud b able to require productvty statistcs on all their teachers?
If i've been codg for 10 yrs professionally but have not written up to 3 solid programs but hav a high title and another fellow has coded for 5 yrs but written 20 solid programs but has a low title who would you want to teach u programmg?
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by Javanian: 5:16pm On Jul 25, 2014
asalimpo:

Comg from a country and continent tht is not leadg d pack ,ur explanation may pass otherwise it doesnt hold.
If d nigerian universities ar starved for ideas, they cud simply copy wat their contemporaries in frst wrlds ar doing.
The title of ths post says frst wrld unis are switchg frst languages. Y dont they buy ur/9ja uni logic and stck with 40/50 yr old obsolete languages?

Even after all my explanations, you still don't understand what an 'introductory to programming' language is. Are you saying QBasic, Pascal and Fortran suck at introducing students to programming? Whether or not the first worlds are using it is not the question here. The point which you keep missing is if these languages are suitable for introducing students to basic programming paradigms.

Languages tht teach deprecated concepts like goto ,

You seem to have a biased mind towards this topic, dude, even your favorite language 'Java' has the GOTO statement. Whether or not it is used is entirely up to the developer. Every Programming text book i have read always points out the downsides of the GOTO statement as it nullifies the glory structured programming concepts bring including the QBasic, Pascal and Fortran programming languages.

begin/end/endif for block delimiters when universally,
shorter symbols hav come to stay
{}.

Even the Python in question here does not make use of curly braces and i am yet to hear in my few years of programming that curly braces are the S.I. unit of code indentation.

Languages, tht ddnt handle recursion!, languages tht used unsightly UPPERCASE words for evry thng and line numbers in increments of 10s. Is this education or mutilation?

At this juncture, i don't know if this is a case of bias or ignorance, where did you hear Pascal and Fortran can't handle recursion? Where did you hear only UPPERCASE letters are used for every thing? what exactly do you mean by education mutilation?

Languages students cnt go online and buy books on or download compilers on?

So there are no books and compilers on Qbasic, Fortran and Pascal online? Did you even think before typing this??

Wat concept is being conveyed in ths deprecated rusty langs tht cudnt b conveyed in a mainstream language ?

Fortran is an imperative programming language suited for numeric computation and scientific computing

Pascal is an imperative and procedural programming language that teaches both structured programming and data structuring. A derivative known as Object Pascal designed for object-oriented programming.

I believe the rest of your post were just random rants you felt like posting here because none what you wrote collaborates with the o.p. of this thread tongue tongue
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by youngestpr(m): 7:01pm On Jul 25, 2014
Javanian:

They are programming languages used to introduce computer science student to basic programming concepts. I am yet to hear of any school home or abroad that teaches only QBasic and FORTRAN. Universities eventually teach the likes of C, C++, Java and Assembly at a later stage. The Computer science syllabubs is planned to accommodate students who are even yet to learn how to do a Cold Boot on Computer System talk more of writing a single line of code, hence the presence of computer appreciation courses in their first year in school.

Well i think you should take a look at the T24 banking software. You can't be really successful as a consultant if you do not understand BASIC. And you know what it means to be a Banking Software Consultant? Although the world might be rapidly moving away from those languages but those who are making the moves are doing so because they had a knowledge of the former and know what should be adjusted to form a new paradigm or language. I learnt Fortran while I was in school, now I use BASIC and JAVA and moving to GROOVY. I do not think any knowledge of any programming language is useless. The important part i think is that a programmer should be flexible and with an open mind to be able to switch whenever required. *Just my opinion*

1 Like

Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by asalimpo(m): 8:07pm On Jul 25, 2014
Javanian:

I may be wrong and i stand to be corrected but i am yet to hear of any University that teaches students how to use frameworks as part of her Computer science syllabus.
Did i mention framework in that post you quoted? read it again
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by asalimpo(m): 8:18pm On Jul 25, 2014
Javanian:

You dont know how to argue neither do you know how to access a critique objectively. I'll answer you points one by one.

what are basic programming concepts? define the vague terms ur using to justify the sustenance of mouldy university curriculums.

looping
threading
assignment
variable declaration
programming blocks
scope
conditionals
modularity (dividing code into blocks )
returning a value
data types
compiling a program

These are concepts better taught or better understood when taught in an older language?
that is the only justification for using these old technologies.

These concepts can't be better taught or better relayed using a more recent language . recent here doesnt mean
in the last 2 years but in the last 20 years.?

A lecturer cant read up on developments in the last 20 years cuz older is better and you're trying to justify this junk.

Every aspect of technology has changed in the last 20 years . what was once an advanced concept is now basic ?

and yet, you justify mouldiness.
grow up.
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by Javanian: 8:27pm On Jul 25, 2014
asalimpo:

You dont know how to argue neither do you know how to access a critique objectively. I'll answer you points one by one.

what are basic programming concepts? define the vague terms ur using to justify the sustenance of mouldy university curriculums.

looping
threading
assignment
variable declaration
programming blocks
scope
conditionals
modularity (dividing code into blocks )
returning a value
data types
compiling a program

These are concepts better taught or better understood when taught in an older language?
that is the only justification for using these old technologies.

These concepts can't be better taught or better relayed using a more recent language . recent here doesnt mean
in the last 2 years but in the last 20 years.?

A lecturer cant read up on developments in the last 20 years cuz older is better and you're trying to justify this junk.

Every aspect of technology has changed in the last 20 years . what was once an advanced concept is now basic ?

and yet, you justify mouldiness.
grow up.

Yes, QBasic, Fortran and Pascal are okay for introducing students to programming. Whether or not they are old is none of my business. As far as they achieve their aim, they are perfectly viable. They all have looping, assignment, variable declaration, programming blocks, scope, conditionals, modularity (dividing code into blocks ), returning a value and data types.
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by asalimpo(m): 8:38pm On Jul 25, 2014
youngestpr:

Well i think you should take a look at the T24 banking software. You can't be really successful as a consultant if you do not understand BASIC. And you know what it means to be a Banking Software Consultant? Although the world might be rapidly moving away from those languages but those who are making the moves are doing so because they had a knowledge of the former and know what should be adjusted to form a new paradigm or language. I learnt Fortran while I was in school, now I use BASIC and JAVA and moving to GROOVY. I do not think any knowledge of any programming language is useless. The important part i think is that a programmer should be flexible and with an open mind to be able to switch whenever required. *Just my opinion*
IN hundred years time they'll be people making a living maintaing java code's written in our generation.
so, for this reason universities 3 generations from today should spoon feed their students java?
dyu know any startup writing software in BASIC? There consultants making money writing ABAP/SAP software,
consultants making a killing writing COBOL, LISP developers are in demand- so what does that say?
they're museum's preserving fossils. too.
The cost of replacing the banking software is higher , than the cost of hiring a consultant to update them. or maybe
that's what it likely says. its not a statement about the superiority of old tech. But in the long run,this decision is
more expensive - why not write the software in a mainstream language, then higher cheaper labour to maintain it?!
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by asalimpo(m): 9:20pm On Jul 25, 2014
[I harvested this codes from wikipedia].
they look very natural and intuitive for teaching present generations programming.

ladies and gentlemen, introducing PASCAL
hello world
Program HelloWorld;
Begin
WriteLn('Hello world!')
End.

not bad.

to create a type
type
x = integer;
y = x;

Here's the java equiv:

class Integer{}

// creating an integer.
Integer i = new Integer

a complex type

type
a = array[1..10] of integer;
b = record
x : integer;
y : char
end;
c = file of a;

format for modularizing programs

program Mine(output);

var i : integer;

procedure Print(var j : integer);
begin
end;

begin
Print(i);
end.

pascal has goto

BASIC

this program calculates the average of a group of numbers.

5 LET S = 0
10 MAT INPUT V
20 LET N = NUM
30 IF N = 0 THEN 99
40 FOR I = 1 TO N
45 LET S = S + V(I)
50 NEXT I
60 PRINT S/N
70 GO TO 5
99 END

point: is y teach useless needless concepts. line numbers that are mandatory but u'll never resort to when u learn
later languages. GOTO that you'll never see in later languages.

anoda code block in basic

DECLARE SUB PrintSomeStars (StarCount!)
REM QuickBASIC example
INPUT "What is your name: ", UserName$
PRINT "Hello "; UserName$
DO
INPUT "How many stars do you want: ", NumStars
CALL PrintSomeStars(NumStars)
DO
INPUT "Do you want more stars? ", Answer$
LOOP UNTIL Answer$ <> ""
Answer$ = LEFT$(Answer$, 1)
LOOP WHILE UCASE$(Answer$) = "Y"
PRINT "Goodbye "; UserName$

SUB PrintSomeStars (StarCount)
REM This procedure uses a LOCAL variable called Stars$
Stars$ = STRING$(StarCount, "*"wink
PRINT Stars$
END SUB

this is more intuitive that something that ruby,perl,python,scala etc could do.?

END SUB = } (IN C-LIKE LANGUAGES)
outside the course where will the student use this syntax again?
granted PRINT is easier on the eyes than
System.out.println("some bla"wink;

but which one is easier for writing modular code in.
why learn the easier
PRINT
and the useless all caps convention no language supports
only to unlearn it in your next higher level class?
if you learn junk, which you'll never compile and run except on the board, only to unlearn it,
unlearn it cuz its too bad for modern use - who is the fool? the school that upholds this philosophy or
the students that allow this meaningless routine take place on them in the name of learning?
The only reason BASIC and PASCAL seems easier is because they were all procedural then.
you open a file, write you top down program and go.
procedural has been superceded , programs number in the millions,
old world basic and pascal and all the fortrans in this world couldnt l handl large software.
large software then was maybe 3,000 lines of code. huge was maybe 50,000 loc.
modern languages were structured for large software that's y taking off in them isnt easy.
cuz they force you to modularize from the start.
that's y java,c++ starts you off with a class and gets you importing packages and classes
early.
while its hard early on, you'll thank God for it when you code hits 100 000 loc plus.
i dont even want to mention ADA which is paranoid.
to justify this crap, from a computer science student/software engineer is lamentable
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by asalimpo(m): 9:31pm On Jul 25, 2014
Javanian:

Yes, QBasic, Fortran and Pascal are okay for introducing students to programming. Whether or not they are old is none of my business. As far as they achieve their aim, they are perfectly viable. They all have looping, assignment, variable declaration, programming blocks, scope, conditionals, modularity (dividing code into blocks ), returning a value and data types.
They are all have massive obsolescence and massive abandonment by the real world.
and ugly, unintuitive syntax. for worse than any recent language ,
basic has dollar signs after variable declaration!, line numbers - mandatory or your program will no run.
infact , you lecturer will fail you for not putting 10 before you line of code - what nonsense. try putting 10 before your python
code or create a programming language that enforces this rule today.
as for them having looping and so on, early cars had steering wheels and gear boxes too, but the new models are just so so much better.
like i said, only lazy lecturers, docile students , moribund educational systems would perpetuate technology
the creators have considered buried and history. only alive for the museum of computing history.

since you advocate this. Y dont you advocate the teachers teaching students with the computers that were in voque when
this languages were reigning?! Y not. those computers had keyboards,cpu's,ram,hard disk,monitors, if you tried hard they were even portable? Y not advocate it.? you'd advocate using modern systems right?
logical thinking indeed.
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by youngestpr(m): 6:26am On Jul 26, 2014
asalimpo:
IN hundred years time they'll be people making a living maintaing java code's written in our generation.
so, for this reason universities 3 generations from today should spoon feed their students java?
dyu know any startup writing software in BASIC? There consultants making money writing ABAP/SAP software,
consultants making a killing writing COBOL, LISP developers are in demand- so what does that say?
they're museum's preserving fossils. too.
The cost of replacing the banking software is higher , than the cost of hiring a consultant to update them. or maybe
that's what it likely says. its not a statement about the superiority of old tech. But in the long run,this decision is
more expensive - why not write the software in a mainstream language, then higher cheaper labour to maintain it?!
Well if you don't agree with me I agree with you smiley
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by youngestpr(m): 6:30am On Jul 26, 2014
asalimpo: [I harvested this codes from wikipedia].
they look very natural and intuitive for teaching present generations programming.

ladies and gentlemen, introducing PASCAL
hello world
Program HelloWorld;
Begin
WriteLn('Hello world!')
End.

not bad.

to create a type
type
x = integer;
y = x;

Here's the java equiv:

class Integer{}

// creating an integer.
Integer i = new Integer

a complex type

type
a = array[1..10] of integer;
b = record
x : integer;
y : char
end;
c = file of a;

format for modularizing programs

program Mine(output);

var i : integer;

procedure Print(var j : integer);
begin
end;

begin
Print(i);
end.

pascal has goto

BASIC

this program calculates the average of a group of numbers.

5 LET S = 0
10 MAT INPUT V
20 LET N = NUM
30 IF N = 0 THEN 99
40 FOR I = 1 TO N
45 LET S = S + V(I)
50 NEXT I
60 PRINT S/N
70 GO TO 5
99 END

point: is y teach useless needless concepts. line numbers that are mandatory but u'll never resort to when u learn
later languages. GOTO that you'll never see in later languages.

anoda code block in basic

DECLARE SUB PrintSomeStars (StarCount!)
REM QuickBASIC example
INPUT "What is your name: ", UserName$
PRINT "Hello "; UserName$
DO
INPUT "How many stars do you want: ", NumStars
CALL PrintSomeStars(NumStars)
DO
INPUT "Do you want more stars? ", Answer$
LOOP UNTIL Answer$ <> ""
Answer$ = LEFT$(Answer$, 1)
LOOP WHILE UCASE$(Answer$) = "Y"
PRINT "Goodbye "; UserName$

SUB PrintSomeStars (StarCount)
REM This procedure uses a LOCAL variable called Stars$
Stars$ = STRING$(StarCount, "*"wink
PRINT Stars$
END SUB

this is more intuitive that something that ruby,perl,python,scala etc could do.?

END SUB = } (IN C-LIKE LANGUAGES)
outside the course where will the student use this syntax again?
granted PRINT is easier on the eyes than
System.out.println("some bla"wink;

but which one is easier for writing modular code in.
why learn the easier
PRINT
and the useless all caps convention no language supports
only to unlearn it in your next higher level class?
if you learn junk, which you'll never compile and run except on the board, only to unlearn it,
unlearn it cuz its too bad for modern use - who is the fool? the school that upholds this philosophy or
the students that allow this meaningless routine take place on them in the name of learning?
The only reason BASIC and PASCAL seems easier is because they were all procedural then.
you open a file, write you top down program and go.
procedural has been superceded , programs number in the millions,
old world basic and pascal and all the fortrans in this world couldnt l handl large software.
large software then was maybe 3,000 lines of code. huge was maybe 50,000 loc.
modern languages were structured for large software that's y taking off in them isnt easy.
cuz they force you to modularize from the start.
that's y java,c++ starts you off with a class and gets you importing packages and classes
early.
while its hard early on, you'll thank God for it when you code hits 100 000 loc plus.
i dont even want to mention ADA which is paranoid.
to justify this crap, from a computer science student/software engineer is lamentable
Do you know that Fortran is now becoming more object oriented? Do you know that virtually all languages had the goto statement although it is now deprecated in most. Who says people still use goto in BASIC? Maybe we are looking at different 'BASIC'
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by Javanian: 8:36am On Jul 26, 2014
GOTO only in obsolete languages?

GOTO in C#

using System;

namespace goto_statement
{
class Program
{
static void Main(string[] args)
{
string name;

label: //creating label with colon(smiley

Console.WriteLine("Enter your name:"wink;
name = Console.ReadLine();

Console.WriteLine("Welcome {0}", name);

goto label; //jump to label statement
}
}
}

GOTO in C++

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main ()
{
// Local variable declaration:
int a = 10;

// do loop execution
LOOP:do
{
if( a == 15)
{
// skip the iteration.
a = a + 1;
goto LOOP;
}
cout << "value of a: " << a << endl;
a = a + 1;
}while( a < 20 );

return 0;
}

GOTO in PHP

<?php 
goto a;
echo 'Hello';

a:
echo 'Goodbye';
?>
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by Javanian: 8:51am On Jul 26, 2014
asalimpo:
basic has dollar signs after variable declaration!, line numbers - mandatory or your program will no run.

PHP also has dollar sign before the code can run, is it also an obsolete language? Besides basic does not enforce the dollar sign, i implore you to get yourself acquainted with what you are arguing against because you keep on making very absurd claims here. Even ASP.NET uses the dollar sign to indicate how an expression is to follow, when used within the tag of a web page. Doesn't JSP use '<%'? does it make obsolete and ugly?

Later versions of the BASIC programming language don't use line numbers, please it is imperative that you get your facts right before making unsubstantiated claims here.

since you advocate this. Y dont you advocate the teachers teaching students with the computers that were in voque when
this languages were reigning?! Y not. those computers had keyboards,cpu's,ram,hard disk,monitors, if you tried hard they were even portable? Y not advocate it.? you'd advocate using modern systems right?
logical thinking indeed.

As far as a computer is capable of satisfying my needs, i would use it, be it 10MB ram or 10GB ram. It is not my business so far as it serves the purpose for which it is intended. Same applies to BASIC, Fortran and Pascal, they are viable options for the purpose they are intended, their age is trivial.
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by asalimpo(m): 1:01pm On Jul 26, 2014
youngestpr:
Do you know that Fortran is now becoming more object oriented? Do you know that virtually all languages had the goto statement although it is now deprecated in most. Who says people still use goto in BASIC? Maybe we are looking at different 'BASIC'
The BASIC thought in schools isnt modern basic,Vb, but d archaic old wrld kind. Ridden with primitivity.
At source level,GOTO, IS considered bad. But teachg programmg with these archaic languages students will b fed this bad practce.
Fortran has oop version,so does pascal, provg tht this languages had to grow to improve versions to still b relevant. If there were no defects theyd b no need for improvements. So if old school fortran has improved versions wat justification does the highest centers of learng in our country hav for usg the more defectve versions for teachg?
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by asalimpo(m): 1:59pm On Jul 26, 2014
Javanian:

PHP also has dollar sign before the code can run, is it also an obsolete language? Besides basic does not enforce the dollar sign, i implore you to get yourself acquainted with what you are arguing against because you keep on making very absurd claims here. Even ASP.NET uses the dollar sign to indicate how an expression is to follow, when used within the tag of a web page. Doesn't JSP use '<%'? does it make obsolete and ugly?

Later versions of the BASIC programming language don't use line numbers, please it is imperative that you get your facts right before making unsubstantiated claims here.

As far as a computer is capable of satisfying my needs, i would use it, be it 10MB ram or 10GB ram. It is not my business so far as it serves the purpose for which it is intended. Same applies to BASIC, Fortran and Pascal, they are viable options for the purpose they are intended, their age is trivial.

php,perl,even java (for anonymous classes), ADA have a dollar sign but while these languages hav different philosophies, theyre standardzg on certain conventions.
The dollar sign comes before d identifier.
No mainstream programmg language of d past 20yrs uses uppercase. It's considered unsightly, neither do they place dollar signs AFTER identifiers.
Blocks are delimited with fewer characters (space,(,),{,} etc) and so on. This is d evolution of programming languages and its considered better than its ancestors.
Pointers are bad and discouraged.
because of serious bugs they introduce and abuses of them.
If c++ cud learn from its mistakes and introduce smart pointers (i.e upgrade),multi threadg(now considered a basic property for any mainstream language), and c could allow variable initialization within loops,
somthg tht was already d norm in later languages, then it means the language designers are noting their bad points and correctg their languages. Going back to use a 40,50 year old language to teach modern day students is going back over decades of improvemnt to pick the worst version and justifyg this foolishness with silly arguments.
Java has GOTO but in all languages its deprecated (considered bad practce). How many programmers and open source project dyu actvely know usg deprecations like GOTO?
How dyu teach d bascs of programmg in a language tht is out of touch with modern reality without teachg all the mistakes and bad habits in that version to d students?
Y dont computer schools teach computer appreciation usg windows 95 or DOS? Afterall,its just computer appreciation.
Y dont drivg schools teach drivg usg peugeot 404 ,afterall the principles are d same?
Y dont schools teach kids how to write usg slates and chalk? After all the principles are d same.
Y are ppl not taught to type with manual typewriters anymore? The principles ar d same.
Sometimes cost of upgradg to better technology is high and cud justify usg old tech but in d case in point wat justication is ther?
Newer improved languages abound.
- they are free
- books on newer languages number in the millions.
A search for java,python,perl,ruby online and offline will produce many resources.
Compare with a search for a fortran 1958 book in d local market or online?
- modern languages ar updated frequently. Lots of open source programs for students to see and inspect.
Compare to a full scale program in BASIC,PASCAL,FORTRAN, d type used in Nigerian Unis.
- students can easily accelerate learng by studyg ahead if ample materials abound in their language.
A student startg out in say python can easily buy a book in d local market and study ahead of d lecturer,increasg his enthusiasm to learn, before d session is over he's investigatg android dev and pyQt.
Before his final year he's soliciting jobs in industry ,his years of usg a mainstream language bcomes an asset. He doesnt need to unlearn anythg.
He wont b tempted to precede a comment line with REM as would b d case if he were taught with BASIC.
Now compare to students strtg out with FORTRAN,PASCAL,BASIC
can put this as features on your c.v? Which employer will b excited about u , usg these crude technologies?

The time wasted teachg junk techs cudv been better invested.

Like i say, laziness,apathy, sheer stupidity and foolishness is wat will allow schools (of higher learng for tht matter) jump recent,superior,frequently improved,hugely popular,free alternatives to go settle for obsolete scrap and justify it.
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by spikesC(m): 2:10pm On Jul 26, 2014
Chai, na so this thread don reach shocked

pls lets close this matter. Javanian, i get your point quite well. Those languages are very good to be used as introductory languages, but if used and thought with best practices.

You do not really know the extent of archaic teaching been perpetuated in the Nigerian universities. If you do you wouldnt have been arguing with asalimpo grin

Most lecturers do not know "hello world", not to talk of OOP grin
They just reiterate what they see in an ebook they copied 50yrs ago. This is not an exageration. I have seen this first hand. It is not a hearsay.

I have a close friend who is gonna be graduating this year in computer Engineering. After 5 years, the guy do not know what a variable is.

It is not just him, it is all of them. The few who accepted their demise had to engage in outside training. Others, ignorantly, do not know what they've been missing.

What most of them do, just to get into the 21st century IT is blogging grin
But then, they do not know how to setup blogs from scratch. Na blogger be the saviour

Infact, make i stop here, i want go chop embarassed
We need a total overhaul of our educational sector

We are concurrently churning out thousands of certified ignorant illiterates every year. Ignorant in the sense that they do not even know that they know nothing
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by Javanian: 3:41pm On Jul 26, 2014
asalimpo:
The BASIC thought in schools isnt modern basic,Vb, but d archaic old wrld kind. Ridden with primitivity.
At source level,GOTO, IS considered bad. But teachg programmg with these archaic languages students will b fed this bad practce.
Fortran has oop version,so does pascal, provg tht this languages had to grow to improve versions to still b relevant. If there were no defects theyd b no need for improvements. So if old school fortran has improved versions wat justification does the highest centers of learng in our country hav for usg the more defectve versions for teachg?

Maybe not all Universities use this 'defective' versions. Has it occurred to you that some of them may be using improved versions of these languages? In both Basic, Fortran and Pascal classes it was made clear that using the GOTO is a bad programming practice. So may be this is an issue of stereotyping and not necessarily that the languages in question are bad.
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by Djtm(m): 3:50pm On Jul 26, 2014
You guys should take it easy on the epistles.
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by Javanian: 3:50pm On Jul 26, 2014
asalimpo:

php,perl,even java (for anonymous classes), ADA have a dollar sign but while these languages hav different philosophies, theyre standardzg on certain conventions.
The dollar sign comes before d identifier.
No mainstream programmg language of d past 20yrs uses uppercase. It's considered unsightly, neither do they place dollar signs AFTER identifiers.
Blocks are delimited with fewer characters (space,(,),{,} etc) and so on. This is d evolution of programming languages and its considered better than its ancestors.

Like i said, may be it is because i have been using the evolved version of these languages so i failed to notice that Basic, Fortran and Pascal once enforced Uppercase letters.

Java has GOTO but in all languages its deprecated (considered bad practce). How many programmers and open source project dyu actvely know usg deprecations like GOTO?

Like i have also said, all the versions of Pascal and Fortan i have seen frowned seriously at GOTO and termed it a bad programming practice. You were initially implying that only obscure languages had the GOTO statement and i wanted to correct that impression, hence my initial assertion that alot of modern languages also have the GOTO statement, albeit deprecated. If you are saying teaching older version of languages that encourage bad programming practices is wrong, i totally agree with you on that, what i wont agree to is you saying Pascal should not be used to introduce programming to students just because it is old.
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by Djtm(m): 3:52pm On Jul 26, 2014
Javanian:
As far as a computer is capable of satisfying my needs, i would use it, be it 10MB ram or 10GB ram.
Did you just say 10mb? There's no way a 10mb ram will satisfy your need so stop lying. Lol. cheesy
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by Javanian: 3:58pm On Jul 26, 2014
spikesC: Chai, na so this thread don reach shocked

pls lets close this matter. Javanian, i get your point quite well. Those languages are very good to be used as introductory languages, but if used and thought with best practices.

+10

You do not really know the extent of archaic teaching been perpetuated in the Nigerian universities. If you do you wouldnt have been arguing with asalimpo grin

Yeah, but i wasn't saying Nigeria Universities are getting it all right. My point was that there is nothing wrong with Basic, Pascal and Fortran as introductory programming languages.

Most lecturers do not know "hello world", not to talk of OOP grin
They just reiterate what they see in an ebook they copied 50yrs ago. This is not an exageration. I have seen this first hand. It is not a hearsay.

This is bad grin grin grin

I have a close friend who is gonna be graduating this year in computer Engineering. After 5 years, the guy do not know what a variable is.

It is not just him, it is all of them. The few who accepted their demise had to engage in outside training. Others, ignorantly, do not know what they've been missing.

What most of them do, just to get into the 21st century IT is blogging grin
But then, they do not know how to setup blogs from scratch. Na blogger be the saviour

This is very bad. sad sad sad

We need a total overhaul of our educational sector
We are concurrently churning out thousands of certified ignorant illiterates every year. Ignorant in the sense that they do not even know that they know nothing

+200
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by Javanian: 4:01pm On Jul 26, 2014
Djtm:
Did you just say 10mb? There's no way a 10mb ram will satisfy your need so stop lying. Lol. cheesy

grin grin grin

If 10MB ram doesn't satisfy my needs then i wont use it. I was just trying to say i am a proponent of using what works and what works well.
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by asalimpo(m): 10:52pm On Jul 26, 2014
@spikeC , djtm
You're seeing the heated post here in a negative light. as far as it didnt degenerate into senseless name calling, and abuse
arguing to persuade and convince anoda party to accept your viewpoints is healthy cuz it makes the participants
arrange and marshall their points more thoughtfully than would be the case otherwise. e.g just passively reading thru the posts. And in the long run makes the arguers,so called, more critical thinkers.
Godel, the man who proved the indecidability theorem in mathematics, known for Godel paradox,
was notorious as a child for always asking question and wanting to know why of even very simple trivial things.. He was mr. why? mr. why? with his irritating nature, left the world different after he was born. So passionate , even heated debates
within boundaries should be permittd to flow not dampened.
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by Nobody: 1:52am On Jul 27, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Check Out My First Html And CSS Website / How To Compile FORTRAN Program On Android / Android Developers 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.