Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,178 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

Preparing Nkwobi - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Preparing Nkwobi (15081 Views)

Preparing Agama Lizard Tomato Sauce (PICTURES) / Calling On All NKWOBI Lovers...recipe With Pic / Nkwobi Recipe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Preparing Nkwobi by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 18, 2006
Hey.

Can anyone tell me the secret of preparing Nkwobi? That's a tasty meal I can never ever forget.

From the 1st time I tasted it, I never looked back. Hope I never chop winch join.

Later!
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by dondele(m): 9:14pm On Jul 18, 2006
i no blame you my man. this na wetin girl carry hold me for her house for 2 days. i eat nkwobi so tey my belle dey cry. kai, the thing sweet nobi small.

1 Like

Re: Preparing Nkwobi by ikamefa(f): 5:23am On Jul 19, 2006
what is nkwobi?
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by diddy4(m): 7:28am On Jul 19, 2006
kai, na one of my best naija dishes. a girl wey sabi describe it shud come and do it. the thing sweet well oooooooo.
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by Txlonghorn(m): 7:32am On Jul 19, 2006
abeg diddy what is this Nkwobi.
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by chy(f): 10:33am On Jul 19, 2006
Nkowbi is a meat (cow meat esp.the foot) in sauce

ingredients
Cow foot
maggi
palm oil
pepper fresh pepper
utazi leaf(it is bitter)
crayfish
Potash
Salt to taste

Boil your cowfoot with only water till is done
Then pour palm oil into a pot add ur potash which is already ground
Mix until it is thick then add grinded fresh pepper,crayfish , maggi,salt
mix all and taste the sauce to make sure all is balanced
then add the boiled cowfoot and mix add the utazi leaves
Then nkwobi is ready
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by ikamefa(f): 8:12pm On Jul 19, 2006
chy:

Nkowbi is a meat (cow meat esp.the foot) in sauce

ingredients
Cow foot
maggi
palm oil
pepper fresh pepper
utazi leaf(it is bitter)
crayfish
Potash
Salt to taste

Boil your cowfoot with only water till is done
Then pour palm oil into a pot add your potash which is already ground
Mix until it is thick then add grinded fresh pepper,crayfish , maggi,salt
mix all and taste the sauce to make sure all is balanced
then add the boiled cowfoot and mix add the utazi leaves
Then nkwobi is ready

if this is how it is prepared then i totally missed this when i was in igbo land * hummmmmmmmmm salivating* oh well tongue
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by Txlonghorn(m): 3:04am On Jul 20, 2006
Thank you Chy, you God sent. But I thought cow feet is Nkow afe
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by edygirl(f): 3:20am On Jul 20, 2006
@chy, also with goat meat and cow head. I can prepare it . Back home each time I am to manage our shop people don't leave or at times leave and come back cuz of Nkwobi and pami. uhu. Mehn, you guys just made me wanna go back home.
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by Txlonghorn(m): 3:23am On Jul 20, 2006
I'm way ahead of you edygirl. My sister you have to come to my wine carrying in Obosi.
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by edygirl(f): 3:26am On Jul 20, 2006
TX you just got me throw my self on the floor. Thanx for the invitation. grin
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by Txlonghorn(m): 3:29am On Jul 20, 2006
sisterm no hurt yourself oo Onitsha kwalu Obosi shocked
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by edygirl(f): 3:34am On Jul 20, 2006
@chy, you missed the very important ingredient for Nkwobi. Uburu ewu (goat's brain) when preparing it with goat meat and the same for cow too. You cook and grind and mix with the ingredients. My lawd.Anyways yadiba.

2 Likes

Re: Preparing Nkwobi by Mystique(f): 7:26am On Jul 26, 2006
I dont know how to prepare it , but it sure tastes nice smiley
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by Bisiriyu: 9:02am On Jul 26, 2006
It's really tasty if you prepare it well.
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by Oracle(m): 5:59am On Aug 01, 2006
I don't know how to make it coz my mum does the preparing but one thing i know is when prepared i can finish a whole pot
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by Nobody: 2:46am On Mar 26, 2007
just saw this thread.
Nkwobi is actually "poor man's isiewu" lol.
Sadly I've never eaten it but I can confidently speak on Isiewu.
Back in naija,Enugu to be precise, there was this joint in Uwani that had a killer Isiewu.
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by ghettochyk(f): 2:52am On Mar 26, 2007
chineke!!!! who ever makes dat ngwo ngwo please save me some!!! i'm coming! if i don't make it there in time save it na the fridge for me biko! grin
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by spoilt(f): 3:09am On Mar 26, 2007
dont know how to make it. but ate nkwobi in jos. i was hooked. it was good!
the one you make never tastes as good as the one sold in a joint. word!
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by ghettochyk(f): 4:15am On Mar 26, 2007
i learned to make it a while ago.it;'s been a WHILE since i've made it now i dont remeber how to make it embarassed
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by jaybaby(f): 5:03pm On Mar 26, 2007
babyosisi:

Back in naija,Enugu to be precise, there was this joint in Uwani that had a killer Isiewu.

Yes Yes Yes---I know that Joint in Uwani--O M g I'v 4gotten d Name of da place--They Cook Isiewu like no mAn's Buss & It Taste real GOOD cheesy cheesy
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by soniqueb: 1:37am On May 04, 2010
hey guys,there's somethg missing from this recipe, somethg called ugba? stringy stuff used to garnish it
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by freshera: 12:03pm On May 06, 2010
Nkwobi

Nkwobi is the Igbo name for spicy goat legs cooked and served in a rich chilli gravy, a delicacy considered by foodies as one of the special gifts from the food stable from the South-Eastern part of the country to the rest of Nigeria and indeed, the world.

It is a real favourite amongst Nigerians who as a rule are known to consume peppery foods, flavoured with chillies and various spices. However, when preparing nkwobi, pepper can be used as will suit the eater's taste.

It is traditionally eaten unaccompanied as a single dish.

Recipe (to serve 6)

Ingredients:

Limbs only of 1 goat

Palm oil (2 cooking spoons)

Edible potash (Akanwu)

Ground hot peppers

1 onion (chopped into tiny bits)

Salt

Blended crayfish (1 cooking spoon)

Seasoning

Lemon juice (1 cooking spoon)

A native bitter leaf, Utazi

Method:

The goat legs should be de-hoofed and thoroughly washed, using a sponge and lukewarm water. Then chop the meat into small pieces, preferably cubes, and rinse once more. Rub in the lemon juice. Put the meat into a large pot, season lightly and cook on moderate heat for about 45 minutes.

When the meat is tender pour out into a bowl with some of the stock.

In a separate bowl, combine the pepper, chopped onions, crayfish, salt and seasoning. Add warm water and thoroughly mix.

Place a clean pot on the cooker and add the palm oil. Warm it slightly then add in the edible potash and cover for a minute. Stir the oil and the potash vigorously until a thick mash is formed. Add some water to dilute. Stir in the mixture of peppers, onions, crayfish and seasoning, cover the lid and let it simmer for about three minutes.

Wash the utazi leaf in a warm water then chop into tiny bits. Add the utazi into the boiling gravy; too much utazi will give the nkwobi a funny taste so add this condiment carefully.

Allow the entire mixture to simmer for 5 more minutes. (Another option is to simply withhold the utazi and onions and serve it sprinkled on top of the cooked nkwobi).

Put the goat legs into serving mortars or traditional earthenware bowls and pour in the hot mixture.

Nkwobi should be nicely set out alongside chilled palm wine or any cold drink. Invite friends and family to enjoy this culinary delight.

Re: Preparing Nkwobi by charityUg: 6:10pm On Jul 28, 2011
thanks freshera for the detailed info, i am trying this tomorrow.
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by tpia5: 6:11pm On Jul 28, 2011
sounds tasty though i dont quite understand the picture.
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by babaowo: 6:34pm On Aug 11, 2011
have been looking for this since! Thanks for the tutorial lol
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by mummy3(f): 3:42pm On Aug 22, 2011
How do they prepare Nkwo okuko? grin
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by mummy3(f): 3:50pm On Aug 22, 2011
freshera:

Nkwobi

Nkwobi is the Igbo name for spicy goat legs cooked and served in a rich chilli gravy, a delicacy considered by foodies as one of the special gifts from the food stable from the South-Eastern part of the country to the rest of Nigeria and indeed, the world.

It is a real favourite amongst Nigerians who as a rule are known to consume peppery foods, flavoured with chillies and various spices. However, when preparing nkwobi, pepper can be used as will suit the eater's taste.

It is traditionally eaten unaccompanied as a single dish.

Recipe (to serve 6)

Ingredients:

Limbs only of 1 goat

Palm oil (2 cooking spoons)

Edible potash (Akanwu)

Ground hot peppers

1 onion (chopped into tiny bits)

Salt

Blended crayfish (1 cooking spoon)

Seasoning

Lemon juice (1 cooking spoon)

A native bitter leaf, Utazi

Method:

The goat legs should be de-hoofed and thoroughly washed, using a sponge and lukewarm water. Then chop the meat into small pieces, preferably cubes, and rinse once more. Rub in the lemon juice. Put the meat into a large pot, season lightly and cook on moderate heat for about 45 minutes.

When the meat is tender pour out into a bowl with some of the stock.

In a separate bowl, combine the pepper, chopped onions, crayfish, salt and seasoning. Add warm water and thoroughly mix.

Place a clean pot on the cooker and add the palm oil. Warm it slightly then add in the edible potash and cover for a minute. Stir the oil and the potash vigorously until a thick mash is formed. Add some water to dilute. Stir in the mixture of peppers, onions, crayfish and seasoning, cover the lid and let it simmer for about three minutes.

Wash the utazi leaf in a warm water then chop into tiny bits. Add the utazi into the boiling gravy; too much utazi will give the nkwobi a funny taste so add this condiment carefully.

Allow the entire mixture to simmer for 5 more minutes. (Another option is to simply withhold the utazi and onions and serve it sprinkled on top of the cooked nkwobi).

Put the goat legs into serving mortars or traditional earthenware bowls and pour in the hot mixture.

Nkwobi should be nicely set out alongside chilled palm wine or any cold drink. Invite friends and family to enjoy this culinary delight.

Are you sure this is nkwobi's picture or fried egg in the mortar
because saliva has dried off my throat.
Re: Preparing Nkwobi by GoodWife: 3:49pm On Feb 04, 2013
Here's a video on how to prepare Nkwobi:
[flash=560,345]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D60yhEoiZTY[/flash]

(1) (Reply)

Ewa Agoyin Lovers (how To prepare It) / Local Oven / Grinding Stone, Grinding Machine Or Blender: Which Makes Stew Tastier?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.