Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,109 members, 7,825,504 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

Why Does Salt Spoil Beans - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Does Salt Spoil Beans (2306 Views)

Why Does The Milk Always Finish Before The Bournvita? / How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. / Yummylicious Abacha Recipe (with Pic). Spoil Yourself A Lil. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by Nosyke(m): 9:54am On Jul 18, 2014
This question has always been in my mind, however, I don't seem to find an answer.

Why is that when one is cooking beans, one must not add anything that has salt or salt itself, else the beans won't cook again nor matter how much longer it is stays on the fire.

On the contrary, while preparing moi moi, all the ingredients are added even before cooking starts.

Please food experts over to you...
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by Gooci(m): 9:57am On Jul 18, 2014
so yu av been cooking beans witout salt undecided NAWA oooo
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by Nobody: 10:21am On Jul 18, 2014
^^^ grin grin grin
@OP, maybe the salt 'hardens' the outer skin of the beans. IMO
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by RoyalRoy(m): 10:37am On Jul 18, 2014
Ahhh.... Nosyke.... so how do you eat beans without salt?

Chai... the person wey tell u this fable must really dislike you so much o.

There is no negative effect of salt on beans....just make sure u add it when the brand is three-quater done.

Enjoy ur meal.!! ™
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by RoyalRoy(m): 10:39am On Jul 18, 2014
bestestgirl: ^^^ grin grin grin
@OP, maybe the salt 'hardens' the outer skin of the beans. IMO

Lmao.... u are not serious. grin

I guess they dont want the Op to eat beans ever again so they conjured such lie to him.
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by dejt4u(m): 10:39am On Jul 18, 2014
Nosyke: This question has always been in my mind, however, I don't seem to find an answer.

Why is that when one is cooking beans, one must not add anything that has salt or salt itself, else the beans won't cook again nor matter how much longer it is stays on the fire.

On the contrary, while preparing moi moi, all the ingredients are added even before cooking starts.

how on EARTH will u be cooking beans without adding salt??
No matter the type of beans u ar cooking..adding salt has nothing to do with the boiling/cooking point/temperature of beans..
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by adanduka: 10:43am On Jul 18, 2014
When cooking beans, it is advisable to add salt when the beans is soft.
If you add it early, it reacts with the beans and makes it harder, hence lengthening cooking time.
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 18, 2014
I think what OP means is that, while boiling beans you have to let the beans get soft before adding salt/maggi e.t.c.
If you add those condiments while the beans is still hard, na so the beans go hard remain no matter how long you cook or how hot your fire is. it has happened to me before. so when I'm cooking beans, I may add my fish, onions, pepper or even oil at any time but salt/maggi only enters when my beans is almost 'done' cheesy lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by Gooci(m): 11:29am On Jul 18, 2014
na lie oo... i ws still serving, i used to add salt immediately after putting beans on fire. yu nid to heck me out after 1hr, mwahh
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by Nosyke(m): 3:00pm On Jul 18, 2014
bestestgirl: I think what OP means is that, while boiling beans you have to let the beans get soft before adding salt/maggi e.t.c.
If you add those condiments while the beans is still hard, na so the beans go hard remain no matter how long you cook or how hot your fire is. it has happened to me before. so when I'm cooking beans, I may add my fish, onions, pepper or even oil at any time but salt/maggi only enters when my beans is almost 'done' cheesy lipsrsealed

You are the true daughter of your mother, that exactly what I meant. If you don't allow the beans to get soft first before you add salt....your own do. bend...lolzzzz

Anyways, why is that so?
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jul 18, 2014
Nosyke:

You are the true daughter of your mother, that exactly what I meant. If you don't allow the beans to get soft first before you add salt....your own do. bend...lolzzzz

Anyways, why is that so?

cheesy I have no idea o! maybe it really does react like adanduka said.
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by Nosyke(m): 4:42pm On Jul 18, 2014
RoyalRoy: Ahhh.... Nosyke.... so how do you eat beans without salt?

Chai... the person wey tell u this fable must really dislike you so much o.

There is no negative effect of salt on beans....just make sure u add it when the brand is three-quater done.

Enjoy ur meal.!! ™

Oga RR, i used to wonder oooo, bestest girl expressed my mind absolutely.

I nor dey always get patience while cooking beans sha, so e dey always end as chinchin

Maybe I will pray for the spirit of patience when next i am cooking beans
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by sleekman(m): 9:51pm On Jul 18, 2014
That's d mistery 2 beans. Add salt b4 d beans is soft and u'll never get it soft. On the other hand add onions from d start and it gets softer faster. To get d best out of beans then maggi, salt and crayfish should go in last. Scrape d bottom pot @least trice 4d ultimate knocker.
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by Happywoman(f): 12:37am On Jul 19, 2014
Nosyke: This question has always been in my mind, however, I don't seem to find an answer.

Add salt onion , palm oil,seasoning, dried fish all at once lock up in ur pressure pot . Even if the beans wear bullet proof, 30mins max, it's ready to be eaten.
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by Nosyke(m): 6:11am On Jul 19, 2014
Happywoman:

Add salt onion , palm oil,seasoning, dried fish all at once lock up in ur pressure pot . Even if the beans wear bullet proof, 30mins max, it's ready to be eaten.

Let's assume I don't have a pressure cooker yet..
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by Happywoman(f): 7:01am On Jul 19, 2014
Nosyke:

Let's assume I don't have a pressure cooker yet..

It's a must have . Then the combat with beans gets won hands down.
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by edwife(f): 1:00pm On Jul 19, 2014
Salt does not spoil anything unless puts in excess. undecided
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by Gooci(m): 1:05pm On Jul 19, 2014
edwife: Salt does not spoil anything unless puts in excess. undecided
inside a running generator nkor cool
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by Nosyke(m): 3:13pm On Jul 20, 2014
Happywoman:

As a bachelor, a pressure might not be top on my 'to buy list'....
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by Cheks01(f): 12:48am On Jul 23, 2014
I add sliced onions 2 my beans immediately I put it on fire. It gets soft b4 u kw it.
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by Nosyke(m): 12:08am On Jul 25, 2014
Happywoman:

Nobody has really answered my questions o.
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by EfemenaXY: 10:50pm On Jul 28, 2014

Says who?

Hope you aren't mistaken beans for corn? cheesy
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by Nosyke(m): 12:01am On Jul 29, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Says who?

Hope you aren't mistaken beans for corn? cheesy

Madam Efe, i meant to say that if one adds salt before the beans gets soft,it doesn't cook well again no matter how long.
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by EfemenaXY: 12:04am On Jul 29, 2014
Nosyke:

Madam Efe, i meant to say that if one adds salt before the beans gets soft,it doesn't cook well again no matter how long.

Okay then.
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by Nosyke(m): 12:13am On Jul 29, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Okay then.

My question is why?
Re: Why Does Salt Spoil Beans by EfemenaXY: 1:37am On Jul 29, 2014
Let's look at it this way:

Salt is an enhancer, added to make your meal taste better. It's the finishing touch to an otherwise perfectly cooked meal. So why would you want to add the finishing touch at the beginning??

(1) (Reply)

Ahhhhhh, Dis Diet Thing Is Killing Me. Why Are Naija Foods So Calorific / Would You Like To Backup Your Current Job With This New Online Legit Partime Biz / See The Fish That Floated To The Shore In Escravos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.