Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Do Doctors Make The Best Hospital Administrators? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Do Doctors Make The Best Hospital Administrators? (748 Views)

Neuro-psychiatric Hospital Aro, Ranked As Nigeria’s Best Hospital, 6th In Africa / How Much Do Doctors Doing Housejob Earn Per Month? / How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Doctors Make The Best Hospital Administrators? by ziga: 11:49am On Jul 19, 2014
A recent paper in the journal Social Science and Medicine shows an interesting association when it comes to the management of hospitals.

According to its findings, there is a strong association between having a physician manage a hospital and the hospitals ranking.

Among the specialty hospitals under review in the study, those that are run by physicians rank about 25% higher on the U.S. News and World Report‘s “Best Hospital List” than those run by non-physicians.

Source http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2011/07/10/do-doctors-make-the-best-hospital-administrators/

We make decisions in Nigeria without understanding the peculiarity of things in other countries and attempt to transplant useless ideas from them.

Also, please know that the whole article only talked about MDs because in countries where they have their head screwed on right, the head of any multi-specialty medical team is the physician.

3 Likes

Re: Do Doctors Make The Best Hospital Administrators? by drwebs: 12:52pm On Jul 19, 2014
There's no secrete to that, a man who does not understand the workings of a system can only try. what's even more proficient is for a doctor who studied health administration to manage the hospitals.

I'm a doctor and I took a course in health management during the course of my training which was also imbedded in the curriculum. Now this gives me an advantage even though I didn't study it in detail.

Medical schools should start introducing health management into the curriculum for medical doctors because most of us end up managing hospitals at one stage or the other in our lives. eg during Youth Service, we are posted to primary health centres in villages where we face the task of managing such centres.

1 Like

Re: Do Doctors Make The Best Hospital Administrators? by rayenneel(m): 1:33pm On Jul 19, 2014
Exactly, I agree in favour of 'doctors make the best hospital administrators'.
Best hospital tag sign by doctors reputation.
Re: Do Doctors Make The Best Hospital Administrators? by phantom(m): 5:30pm On Jul 19, 2014
any doctor who aspires to be a cmd must have an extra degree in hospital management.
the WACS,WACP & NPMC have introduced short courses in hospital management but I think its not enough.
Re: Do Doctors Make The Best Hospital Administrators? by Oduduwaboy(m): 9:02pm On Jul 19, 2014
of course yes! Its like asking ' do academics make the best vice- chancellors?'

Anyway , very soon in Nigeria the SSANU & NASU members will start agitating to become vice-chancellors. Nigeria we hail thee...home of every absurdities!

(1) (Reply)

A Sure Way To Combat The Ebola Virus / Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled Tonigeria - Wife / Am Still Growing Teeth At 17..is It Normal?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.