Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,199 members, 7,953,739 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:12 AM

Top Pointers Dt D Car Engine Is Sound - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Top Pointers Dt D Car Engine Is Sound (1563 Views)

Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? / When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Pointers Dt D Car Engine Is Sound by ogawisdom(m): 12:12pm On Jul 19, 2014
Ok I was wondering some of the pointers that a car engine is still in good shape. Assuming one is getting a used car wat r d signs that d engine is still okay. Jst before u start sayin go with an experienced mechanic, well dts gud but it always pays to have some knowledge in case d mechanic is compromised.

Alright I think if a car with factory ac runs the ac smoothly on a highway for 20mins without undue noise frm d engine dt cud b a pointer.

Ok let's hear yours, this ll come in handy for everyone I guess
Re: Top Pointers Dt D Car Engine Is Sound by abatically(m): 1:53pm On Jul 19, 2014
ogawisdom: Ok I was wondering some of the pointers that a car engine is still in good shape. Assuming one is getting a used car wat r d signs that d engine is still okay. Jst before u start sayin go with an experienced mechanic, well dts gud but it always pays to have some knowledge in case d mechanic is compromised.

Alright I think if a car with factory ac runs the ac smoothly on a highway for 20mins without undue noise frm d engine dt cud b a pointer.

Ok let's hear yours, this ll come in handy for everyone I guess

I don't think any car dealer will let u run his car on the highway for 20 mins. That's like covering 50-60km depending on the speed. Moreover u can't know the state of an engine by running it on the highway, if u are talking about transmission though I would agree. Even at that u don't need that much distance to know if a transmission is good or not. A better way to know the state of an engine is to let it idle, check the temperature level, rev it a bit and look for smokes on the exhaust, drive around a considerable distance and check of there is hesitation or any anomaly.

Oh also look for warning signs on the dash. Check engine, abs, SRS, etc. A good way to know if any of the warning bulbs have been removed or disconnected is to turn the key to ii position. All the lights should come on. If anyone fails to come on then be careful. On starting the car, all warning lights should go off.

1 Like

Re: Top Pointers Dt D Car Engine Is Sound by ogawisdom(m): 4:15pm On Jul 19, 2014
abatically:

I don't think any car dealer will let u run his car on the highway for 20 mins. That's like covering 50-60km depending on the speed. Moreover u can't know the state of an engine by running it on the highway, if u are talking about transmission though I would agree. Even at that u don't need that much distance to know if a transmission is good or not. A better way to know the state of an engine is to let it idle, check the temperature level, rev it a bit and look for smokes on the exhaust, drive around a considerable distance and check of there is hesitation or any anomaly.

Oh also look for warning signs on the dash. Check engine, abs, SRS, etc. A good way to know if any of the warning bulbs have been removed or disconnected is to turn the key to ii position. All the lights should come on. If anyone fails to come on then be careful. On starting the car, all warning lights should go off.

Ok I said dt bc d ease with which a car engine handles extra load on it smoothly esp dt frm d ac shows its okay. Anyway some of d pointers u raised ve been noted
Re: Top Pointers Dt D Car Engine Is Sound by Kashif(m): 7:50am On Jul 20, 2014
ogawisdom:
Ok I said dt bc d ease with which a car engine handles extra load on it smoothly esp dt frm d ac shows its okay. Anyway some of d pointers u raised ve been noted

If you want to test for load handling, put them on idle. You will notice very little on highway.

1 Like

Re: Top Pointers Dt D Car Engine Is Sound by ogawisdom(m): 9:50am On Jul 21, 2014
Kashif:

If you want to test for load handling, put them on idle. You will notice very little on highway.

Ok noted I tink d mileage of a car is anoda gud pointer plus maintenance culture of previous owners
Re: Top Pointers Dt D Car Engine Is Sound by ogawisdom(m): 6:34pm On Jul 26, 2014
More comments undecided
Re: Top Pointers Dt D Car Engine Is Sound by shamecurls(m): 9:28pm On Jul 26, 2014
abatically:

How about the whitish Vapour u see at the exhaust wen u start the car in the morning? Re they faults?
Re: Top Pointers Dt D Car Engine Is Sound by Kizyte(m): 12:15am On Jul 27, 2014
ogawisdom: Ok I was wondering some of the pointers that a car engine is still in good shape. Assuming one is getting a used car wat r d signs that d engine is still okay...
The simple way to know a sound engine is this: When you start a car, observe its exhaust, when water is dripping from the exhaust pipe, that confirms that the engine is nice and sound.
Re: Top Pointers Dt D Car Engine Is Sound by kennybak(m): 5:10am On Jul 27, 2014
kennybak ventures, we are custom licensed agent. We are into importing and exporting of goods at cheaper rate. Be rest assured that your goods are in safe hands. God bless you as contact us. 08032271155, 08178912159 or Email ktonebakare@gmail.com
Re: Top Pointers Dt D Car Engine Is Sound by jodeci(m): 7:28am On Jul 27, 2014
Rev the engine and remove your leg from the throttle,if the engine is sound the RPM should return to the idle state without Hiccups or strangulation.

(1) (Reply)

Constant Bulge On My Tyre / Jhhhh / Corolla Le 2013 Vs Camry 2008

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.