Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,209 members, 7,822,077 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:47 AM

England Captain Steven Gerrard Has Retired From International Football - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / England Captain Steven Gerrard Has Retired From International Football (482 Views)

Vincent Enyeama Considering his Retirement from International football / Ghana Asamoah Gyan Retired From International Football 'indefinitely'. / Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

England Captain Steven Gerrard Has Retired From International Football by Casey001(m): 4:03pm On Jul 21, 2014
The Liverpool midfielder made his debut for the Three Lions in 2000, in a 2-0 win over Ukraine at Wembley, and went on to play 114 times for his country, scoring 21 times in the process.

Gerrard has been handed a a high profile ambassadorial role with the FA, and will continue to play for the Reds.

“I have enjoyed every minute of representing my country and it is a sad day for me knowing that I won’t pull on the
England shirt again,” he said. “However, I do look forward to continuing my strong relationship with The FA and helping out in any way I can going forward.

“I’d also like to thank everyone who has been part of my international career, from the England managers I’ve played under to the staff at The FA and, of course, all the players I’ve been fortunate to play alongside.

“I’d especially like to thank Roy [Hodgson], firstly for giving me the captaincy permanently when he took the job, making me the proudest man in the country and allowing me to fulfil my childhood dream.

“He is an incredible man and a fantastic footballer who we have all been blessed to see in an England shirt so often. It is never by coincidence that people reach such a staggering figure as 114 caps, it is a mark of his wonderful talent allied to a huge drive and determination to live up to
the highest standard.

“I wish him all the best in the future, although I know I can count on his continued support and influence as a helpful presence moving forward.”

source by http://www.preditplus.com

READ MORE >>>http://preditplus.com/breaking-news-england-captain-steven-gerrard-has-retired-frominternational-football-after-winning-114-caps/#prettyPhoto

(1) (Reply)

Commonwealth Champion ESE BRUME Set To Become Africa’s Long Jump Queen! / Nigeria Maul New Zealand 4-1 To Reach Semis / Tiger Woods: We Are Trying To Make Golf Cool

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.