Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,530 members, 7,770,375 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:01 AM

Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? (5443 Views)

A Program To Tell Ur Zodiac Sign / [problem] Write A Program In C++ That Finds The Hcf Of 2 Numbers Without Using A Recursive Function (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by ejihand1(m): 9:49pm On Jul 23, 2014
A friend of mine who's an undergraduate in mathematics suggested to me that matlab is far much better than Java as a programming language. How true is this assertion ? What kind of job can one actualize with matlab? Is it truly a programming language and better than Java. Please I am about laying my hands on learning any programming language that will well suited in solving scientific problem. Yea, lest I forget, he equally told me that matlab is far better than PhotoShop in image and graphics designing. How true is this guy concerning matlab please? Please mod move it to fp abeg
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by asalimpo(m): 10:18pm On Jul 23, 2014
ejihand1: A friend of mine who's an undergraduate in mathematics suggested to me that matlab is far much better than Java as a programming language. How true is this assertion ? What kind of job can one actualize with matlab? Is it truly a programming language and better than Java. Please I am about laying my hands on learning any programming language that will well suited in solving scientific problem. Yea, lest I forget, he equally told me that matlab is far better than PhotoShop in image and graphics designing. How true is this guy concerning matlab please? Please mod move it to fp abeg

your friend is right.
Matlab is an underDog.
Its a programmg language on its own - better thn java.
A photo editor - rivals photoshop ; pounds gimp
A database - forget oracle and mysql
A webserver -
An Ide (taken for granted) -
and and offce siute .(planned future versions).

With java, you can write mathematica/matlab/maple
(from scratch)
but not the other way round.

It's just not popular and i've never used it.
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by ejihand1(m): 9:38am On Jul 24, 2014
asalimpo:

your friend is right.
Matlab is an underDog.
A webserver -
are you saying I should spend my time and money on it?

(from scratch)

Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by ejihand1(m): 9:39am On Jul 24, 2014
asalimpo:

your friend is right.
Matlab is an underDog.
A webserver -

(from scratch)

are you saying I should go ahead and learn it sir

Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by ejihand1(m): 9:40am On Jul 24, 2014
asalimpo:

your friend is right.
Matlab is an underDog.
A webserver -

(from scratch)

are you saying I should go ahead and learn it sir[color=#006600][/color]

Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by ejihand1(m): 10:53am On Jul 24, 2014
Please I need more responses from you guys. Especially matlab geeks. Mod move it to fp considering the fact that its my first thread I have created in nairaland.
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by ejihand1(m): 10:56am On Jul 24, 2014
Asalimpo, can we talk on one on one. 07069311214. Lets chat on whatsapp please
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jul 24, 2014
Yay!!! Matlab is for simulation, it can't be better than Java, don't know about photoshop.
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by davidsmith8900: 8:02pm On Jul 24, 2014
Matlab is better than Java in CV (Computer Vision) beacuse Java is slow when doing CV but majority of the time Java is better and cheaper, if not free. Matlab is expensive.
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by ejihand1(m): 9:12am On Jul 25, 2014
davidsmith8900: Matlab is better than Java in CV (Computer Vision) beacuse Java is slow when doing CV but majority of the time Java is better and cheaper, if not free. Matlab is expensive.
how do you mean is expensive when the software is been sold for just 100 naira in open market
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by fattbabakay(m): 1:58pm On Jul 26, 2014
ejihand1: Please I need more responses from you guys. Especially matlab geeks. Mod move it to fp considering the fact that its my first thread I have created in nairaland.
L0L..frontpage ke
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jul 28, 2014
ejihand1:
how do you mean is expensive when the software is been sold for just 100 naira in open market
please make MathWork no catch you o! Those one na pirated software and copyright commission go smash your yansh sotee you go just dey sing like parrot grin Matlab do cost a lot, but if you are a mathematician or a theoretical physicist I think you better start learning Matlab and mathematica now and as a reasercher, also start learning how to write your report and article with LaTeX wink
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by Ik09: 1:43pm On Jul 28, 2014
I used matlab almost exclusively in grad school and it sounds like your friend doesn't have much experience with it. Comparing matlab to Java is like comparing apples and oranges.

Matlab has built-in constructs (and very simple notation) for matrix algebra, data processing and plotting. Eg. Relatively complex mathematical tasks like normalising the columns of a huge matrix can be done in 1 line. Personally, I couldn't imagine using anything else for research projects (we weren't even encouraged to) ...

However, it's not a "programming language" in the sense you're thinking. It'll probably be helpful if you think of it as a VERY advanced calculator. I know that's simplistic, but I hope it gets the point across.

Unless you need to do serious data processing or mathematical computations, it's very unlikely you'd have any reason to use matlab. Especially since you can achieve a lot similar with python (scipy + numpy + matplotlib).
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by ejihand1(m): 4:39pm On Jul 28, 2014
wazoboy: please make MathWork no catch you o! Those one na pirated software and copyright commission go smash your yansh sotee you go just dey sing like parrot grin Matlab do cost a lot, but if you are a mathematician or a theoretical physicist I think you better start learning Matlab and mathematica now and as a reasercher, also start learning how to write your report and article with LaTeX wink
brother. Are you saying that matlab is only for mathematicians? I thought its a programming language just like java and python?
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by uzoexcel(m): 8:11pm On Jul 28, 2014
iko9 is right..i have a thread on matlab also https://www.nairaland.com/1102969/matlab-language-technical-computing

MATLAB as he said is not neccessarily a programming lang but good programming skills would help u..its more like used for simulations of electronic/digital systems and so much more...and its also hard man

Ik09: I used matlab almost exclusively in grad school (studied AI); and it sounds like your friend doesn't have much experience with it. Comparing matlab to Java is like comparing apples and oranges.

Matlab has built-in constructs (and very simple notation) for matrix algebra, data processing and plotting. Eg. Relatively complex mathematical tasks like normalising the columns of a huge matrix can be done in 1 line. Personally, I couldn't imagine using anything else for research projects (we weren't even encouraged to) ...

However, it's not a "programming language" in the sense you're thinking. It'll probably be helpful if you think of it as a VERY advanced calculator. I know that's simplistic, but I hope it gets the point across.

Unless you need to do serious data processing or mathematical computations, it's very unlikely you'd have any reason to use matlab. Especially since you can achieve a lot similar with python (scipy + numpy + matplotlib).

Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by Ik09: 9:07pm On Jul 28, 2014
uzoexcel: iko9 is right..i have a thread on matlab also https://www.nairaland.com/1102969/matlab-language-technical-computing

MATLAB as he said is not neccessarily a programming lang but good programming skills would help u..its more like used for simulations of electronic/digital systems and so much more...and its also hard man

Just to clear up any confusion, matlab IS a programming language.

But running matlab programs outside the matlab IDE ecosystem (or within Octave) isn't as straightforward like other languages.

I was trying to point out that the OP was given the wrong impression about Matlab.
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 28, 2014
ejihand1:
brother. Are you saying that matlab is only for mathematicians? I thought its a programming language just like java and python?
Hmmm, yyeeeesss, MATLAB is for mathematicians and maths related fields! Do you know that MATLAB = MATrices LABoratory? and who uses matrices? I guess mathematicians, physicists, engineers and maybe economists, etc!
MATLAB is not the same as java, python, etc! Yes you can build a standalone applications with MATLAB but you can only run those applications on MATLAB IDE unlike Java and co.
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by ejihand1(m): 8:02am On Jul 29, 2014
wazoboy: Hmmm, yyeeeesss, MATLAB is for mathematicians and maths related fields! Do you know that MATLAB = MATrices LABoratory? and who uses matrices? I guess mathematicians, physicists, engineers and maybe economists, etc!
MATLAB is not the same as java, python, etc! Yes you can build a standalone applications with MATLAB but you can only run those applications on MATLAB IDE unlike Java and co.
thanks alot brother. Actually, I am a medical personnel. I just wanted to learn a program that will enable me tap into the software based equipments used in the hospital and probably reprogram such machines to fit into our own way in the hospital especially when they got damaged . Just software related problems anyway . So what programming language do you suggest, sir?
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jul 29, 2014
ejihand1:
thanks alot brother. Actually, I am a medical personnel. I just wanted to learn a program that will enable me tap into the software based equipments used in the hospital and probably reprogram such machines to fit into our own way in the hospital especially when they got damaged . Just software related problems anyway . So what programming language do you suggest, sir?
JAVA!!! but some pro around here could advise you better(ain't no pro!). You could also consider studying some embedded electronics(o boy, they are dead simple if you could handle some programing) as some of those equipments could be runing a down to earth simple C program!
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by uzoexcel(m): 3:13pm On Jul 29, 2014
welli i know of the bio informatics toolbox of matlab...i dunno if its quite related to ur job/work/what u have in mind
I have a friend doing artifical intelligence also and he uses both python and matlab and a lil c language for his research as his research is more in line with some biology thingy. But first and foremost ur mathematical skills must be great if u wanna use matlab. There is no other way. There are so many videos on line that will help you with matrix manipulation and some other basics of matlab on youtube

for python and maybe java go to this site...bucky is good..its all live videos where he explains the language u wanna know from scratch
www.buckysroom.org/videos.php
goodluck

ejihand1:
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by hupernikao: 8:40pm On Jul 29, 2014
ejihand1:

ejihand1

Matlab is a software dt can do almost anytin u can think of as a scientist and engineer irrespective of ur specialization. I hav over 10years experience in using matlab and I ve worked wit it from doing basic computing, solving advanced calculation, running process simulations, image processing, hardware communication and interfacing, virtual reality modeling and also software development.

Matlab is not a programming language but hav an environment M-File for programming dt can program anytin. Advantage of using programming in matlab is dt u ll hav access to many advance functions and tools wit a single line whic in Java can take u months to write.

Actually, lookin closin to matlab, u ll kno it was developed on Java and is designed for high level technical computin and development.

Finally From experience, I ll advice u to go for software lik LABVIEW for d application u hav in mind. Its easier wit such level of development and hardware interfacing while MATLAB is great if ur development is at research level.
Labview handles programming as function blocks dt u just pick, arrange, connect and run. U can also create user interface as d front end quickly thru pick and drop controls.

Labview also hav interface development toolbox for .NET users whr u can just pick special controls dt ll tak u eternity to create in most programming software.
I use ds mostly for creatin HMI (Human Machine Interface) front end and interface it to communicate wit necessary hardwares including some medical legacy equipments.
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by ejihand1(m): 10:13pm On Jul 29, 2014
hupernikao:

ejihand1

Matlab is a software dt can do almost anytin u can think of as a scientist and engineer irrespective of ur specialization. I hav over 10years experience in using matlab and I ve worked wit it from doing basic computing, solving advanced calculation, running process simulations, image processing, hardware communication and interfacing, virtual reality modeling and also software development.

Matlab is not a programming language but hav an environment M-File for programming dt can program anytin. Advantage of using programming in matlab is dt u ll hav access to many advance functions and tools wit a single line whic in Java can take u months to write.

Actually, lookin closin to matlab, u ll kno it was developed on Java and is designed for high level technical computin and development.

Finally From experience, I ll advice u to go for software lik LABVIEW for d application u hav in mind. Its easier wit such level of development and hardware interfacing while MATLAB is great if ur development is at research level.
Labview handles programming as function blocks dt u just pick, arrange, connect and run. U can also create user interface as d front end quickly thru pick and drop controls.

Labview also hav interface development toolbox for .NET users whr u can just pick special controls dt ll tak u eternity to create in most programming software.
I use ds mostly for creatin HMI (Human Machine Interface) front end and interface it to communicate wit necessary hardwares including some medical legacy equipments.
brother thanks alot. But I think I have finally settled down with matlab. Though I am still in elementary stage like solving elementary mathematics. I will like to add you whatsaap for better coaching. Your experience is mind blowing. I wish one day I will speak authoritatively like you matlab wise. I will still google a bit on labview. Thanks alot
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by ejihand1(m): 7:24am On Jul 30, 2014
hupernikao:

ejihand1

Again brother, won't simulink in matlab be a match to labview in terms of block programming. Again , is it only engineers can program using simulink. Those blocks in simulink scares me each time I moved to simulink window from matlab environment. Those block diagrams seem meaningless to me, maybe because I am not an engineer I guess.

1 Like

Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by hupernikao: 10:53am On Jul 30, 2014
ejihand1:

Again brother, won't simulink in matlab be a match to labview in terms of block programming. Again , is it only engineers can program using simulink. Those blocks in simulink scares me each time I moved to simulink window from matlab environment. Those block diagrams seem meaningless to me, maybe because I am not an engineer I guess.

ejihand1,

I hav added u on whatssap.
Simulink is very far from d capability and focus of Labview. Labview is a fully optimised software for hardware interface application development. Unlike simulink and matlab dt u hav to develop gui and then code, labview gui linked directly to a function block in d code environment. Lik i said before, d programming environment of labview is not based on d primitive code writing but built on a function block philosophy.

Let me giv u a simple example.
HOW TO READ/MONITOR A PATIENT BODY TEMPERATURE REAL-TIME FROM UR COMPUTER

IN LABVIEW
(Building d Front End (GUI))
Labview already hav many default control options like gauges, counters etc to pick from, drop on d gui and calibrate from 0 - 50degC to model a real life thermometer. U can also add a start stop button (ready made) to trigger d process. Now, note dt each of those control u dropped on gui automatically but its pre-program correspondent function block in d programming window whic u will work on later.

(Programming d Back End)
In d programming window, all u need to do is to drop a daq (data acquisition) function box and configure it to read ur physical thermometer dt will b connected to d input port of a legacy data logging equipment. Ds will allow u to collect body temperature (usually converted to volts).
After ds, all u need to do is to logically connect ur function blocks and include a math function block dt can convert volts back to temperature (degC), then connect ur start stop block dt will control d process.

All things bein equal. If u go back to ur gui and press d start stop button, it will come on and show green light and u should be seeing d temperature value in d counter or see d gauge pointer moving wit d temperature read. U can also drop a graphical interface to chart d process as usually seen in ECG monitors in clinics. U can also store ur data in excel for reporting.

IN MATLAB
By now u should kno dt d process described above will involve greater effort to achiev in MatLab. U hav to develop/design most of these controls and also hav to face d issue of core coding in M files. Although Simulink seems to b an option but u cant compare its flexibility to Labview.

The simulink environment is not as scary as u said, u just need to understand ur needs and hav good understanding of d right tools to use in simulinks. It was develop having every discipline (not just engineers) on mind but with a good knowledge of how d systems/process u r on works.

FINALLY,
Matlab definitely gives u a better foundatn and insight into researching models, solve, develop and analyse control systems. It also accommodate every discipline with its numerous toolboxes and modules to make use of it in solving complex problem and developing solutions.

Ar u a student (wat level) or a professional? ar u in research or development team?

If i kno exactly wat u want to achiev mayb i will b abl to advice better.

1 Like

Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by ejihand1(m): 11:08am On Jul 30, 2014
hupernikao:

ejihand1,

I hav added u on whatssap.
Simulink is very far from d capability and focus of Labview. Labview is a fully optimised software for hardware interface application development. Unlike simulink and matlab dt u hav to develop gui and then code, labview gui linked directly to a function block in d code environment. Lik i said before, d programming environment of labview is not based on d primitive code writing but built on a function block philosophy.

Let me giv u a simple example.
HOW TO READ/MONITOR A PATIENT BODY TEMPERATURE REAL-TIME FROM UR COMPUTER

IN LABVIEW
(Building d Front End (GUI))
Labview already hav many default control options like gauges, counters etc to pick from, drop on d gui and calibrate from 0 - 50degC to model a real life thermometer. U can also add a start stop button (ready made) to trigger d process. Now, note dt each of those control u dropped on gui automatically but its pre-program correspondent function block in d programming window whic u will work on later.

(Programming d Back End)
In d programming window, all u need to do is to drop a daq (data acquisition) function box and configure it to read ur physical thermometer dt will b connected to d input port of a legacy data logging equipment. Ds will allow u to collect body temperature (usually converted to volts).
After ds, all u need to do is to logically connect ur function blocks and include a math function block dt can convert volts back to temperature (degC), then connect ur start stop block dt will control d process.

All things bein equal. If u go back to ur gui and press d start stop button, it will come on and show green light and u should be seeing d temperature value in d counter or see d gauge pointer moving wit d temperature read. U can also drop a graphical interface to chart d process as usually seen in ECG monitors in clinics. U can also store ur data in excel for reporting.

IN MATLAB
By now u should kno dt d process described above will involve greater effort to achiev in MatLab. U hav to develop/design most of these controls and also hav to face d issue of core coding in M files. Although Simulink seems to b an option but u cant compare its flexibility to Labview.

The simulink environment is not as scary as u said, u just need to understand ur needs and hav good understanding of d right tools to use in simulinks. It was develop having every discipline (not just engineers) on mind but with a good knowledge of how d systems/process u r on works.

FINALLY,
Matlab definitely gives u a better foundatn and insight into researching models, solve, develop and analyse control systems. It also accommodate every discipline with its numerous toolboxes and modules to make use of it in solving complex problem and developing solutions.

Ar u a student (wat level) or a professional? ar u in research or development team?

If i kno exactly wat u want to achiev mayb i will b abl to advice better.

waoo. Sir ,that your description of temperature control using labview is kind of things I want. Since you have added me up in whatsapp. We will discuss there. What's your last 3 phone number to locate your number. Thanks alot for your time. I guess I will zero in in matlab and labview. What do you think? I am researcher in medical field, sir.

1 Like

Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by hupernikao: 1:54pm On Jul 30, 2014
ejihand1:

waoo. Sir ,that your description of temperature control using labview is kind of things I want. Since you have added me up in whatsapp. We will discuss there. What's your last 3 phone number to locate your number. Thanks alot for your time. I guess I will zero in in matlab and labview. What do you think? I am researcher in medical field, sir.

Dt will b great.

Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by ejihand1(m): 2:31pm On Jul 30, 2014
hupernikao:

Dt will b great.

please sir just send the word matlab to my whatsapp so that I can identify you quickly. Thanks for your patience.
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by hupernikao: 3:06pm On Jul 30, 2014
ejihand1:

please sir just send the word matlab to my whatsapp so that I can identify you quickly. Thanks for your patience.

done
Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by uzoexcel(m): 3:50pm On Jul 30, 2014
nice one...i didnt know labview could be used for medical instrumentation..i used labview together with USRP to simulate a couple of stuff in wireless communication systems...thanks for sharing ur knowledge base with all of all us smiley
hupernikao:

ejihand1

Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by hupernikao: 7:42pm On Jul 30, 2014
uzoexcel: nice one...i didnt know labview could be used for medical instrumentation..i used labview together with USRP to simulate a couple of stuff in wireless communication systems...thanks for sharing ur knowledge base with all of all us smiley

uzoexcel,
Labview can communicate wit any input and output instrument if configured well. I hav worked wit it in a team to develop several applications covering oil and gas, aerospace, medical, manufacturing and other tech applications in various field.

Aside data logging, u can easily develop control systems and control most of ds legacy equipments thru Labview real-time.

1 Like

Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by hupernikao: 7:42pm On Jul 30, 2014
uzoexcel: nice one...i didnt know labview could be used for medical instrumentation..i used labview together with USRP to simulate a couple of stuff in wireless communication systems...thanks for sharing ur knowledge base with all of all us smiley

uzoexcel,
Labview can communicate wit any input and output instrument if configured well. I hav worked wit it in a team to develop several applications covering oil and gas, aerospace, medical, manufacturing and other tech applications in various field.

Aside data logging, u can easily develop control systems and control most of ds legacy equipments thru Labview real-time.

1 Like

Re: Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? by alcuin(m): 12:24am On Aug 02, 2014
I am interested in this LabView software . I just did a google search on it. Please, do you have any text, documentation or tutorial in it??

Thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

[problem] Write A Program In C++ That Finds The Hcf Of 2 Numbers Without Using A Recursive Function / How To Deobfuscate .net Exe File | .net Deobfuscate / How Do I Change The Color Of A Grid In Bootstrap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.