Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,283 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays (18253 Views)

My Room Mates Brother Sleeps In A Weird Way! Should I Be Worried? (pictures) / 9 Weird Facts About Marijuana You ought to know / Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by chuxyz(m): 1:00am On Jul 24, 2014
Here is a list of some fact about birthdays you probably don't know:

1. Before the 19th century, dates of birth were not officially noted, although baptisms occasionally were. England began keeping parish records of births, deaths and marriages in 1538 but this wasn’t implemented for the entire population until the Registration Act of 1836. The first British census in 1801 didn’t record age, and it wasn’t introduced as a question until 1831 - even then it wasn’t mandatory to answer. It wasn’t until the 1851 census that people had to record their precise ages.

2. Birthday Paradox
If there are 23 people in a room there is a 50-50 chance that two of them will share a birthday. This is known as the birthday paradox, because it appears there are only 22 possible pairs and therefore a low chance of a match. In fact, because every guest could match with every other guest, there are 253 possible combinations (1+2+3+4… up to 22) and the probability of finding a successful one is 50.048%. If you are confused by that then try view it this way: [If you have a list of 23 people, comparing the birthday of the first person on the list to the others allows 22 chances for a matching birthday, the second person on the list to the others allows 21 chances for a matching birthday - in fact the 'second' person also has total 22 chances of matching birthday with the others but his/her chance of matching birthday with the 'first' person, one chance, has already been counted with the first person's 22 chances and shall not be duplicated, third person has 20 chances, and so on. Hence total chances amounts to 253]. The probability reaches 100% when the number of people reaches 367 (since there are 366 possible birthdays, including February 29). However, 99.9% probability is reached with just 70 people. These conclusions include the assumption that each day of the year (except February 29) is equally probable for a birthday. In fact you don't need bother about this if you aint a statistician.

3. Queen's Birthday
The Queen’s actual birthday is April 21 but she celebrates her official birthday on a suitable Saturday in June (the Government chooses which one). One of the reasons is to ensure good weather for the Trooping the Colour ceremony, held to mark the monarch’s birthday since 1748. The Queen has attended all the ceremonies during her reign apart from in 1955, when the parade was cancelled due to a rail strike.

4. Happy Birthday Song
The “Happy Birthday” song originated in 1893 when teacher Mildred Hall thought of the
tune. Her sister Patty added words and they christened the piece Good Morning to All. It was intended to be sung as children entered the classroom but was switched to be sung to the teacher, and became Good Morning to You. As the song grew in popularity, it was sung outside schools and became Happy Birthday to You. The song is protected under copyright until at least 2030.

5. Cards and Present
Britons send more than 300million birthday cards a year. Cards that play a song when you open them use more computing power than was used to send man to the moon. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, a popular 21st birthday present was to have all your teeth removed and replaced with a set of dentures – the idea was it would prevent the expense of dental treatment later in life. Shirley Temple received 135,000 presents for her eighth
birthday.

6. Birthday as count-up and count-down timer
Each time you celebrate +1year on earth you are as well celebrating -1year to the grave. So birthdays counts down in same manner as it counts up.

Reference:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/qi/10259776/QI-some-quite-interesting-facts-about-birthdays.html

7 Likes

Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by b3llo(m): 2:15am On Jul 24, 2014
Number 6, is very true.

5 Likes

Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by EnterPRO: 4:28am On Jul 24, 2014
wow ! lovely !
Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by kowalsky: 5:30am On Jul 24, 2014
Intewestin
Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by robinicule(m): 5:41am On Jul 24, 2014
deep........like borehole

1 Like

Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by KillerBeauty(f): 5:42am On Jul 24, 2014
I learn something new everyday

1 Like

Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by solexy4real(m): 6:50am On Jul 24, 2014
alright alright alright
Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by fr3do(m): 8:03am On Jul 24, 2014
Copy and paste from a British site

2 Likes

Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by chuxyz(m): 8:22am On Jul 24, 2014
fr3do: Copy and paste from a British site
Lol! I don't do copy and paste. That's why i used reference instead of source. I made reference of the site but didn't quote them verbatim. In fact mine has more details in some sections and even an addition of what is not in the site or any other site. So bro, go back to the site and compare

19 Likes

Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by Dbestmax(m): 8:29am On Jul 24, 2014
fr3do: Copy and paste from a British site
Swear say U neva copy and Paste before...Hu is innocent of that...

11 Likes

Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by Dbestmax(m): 8:30am On Jul 24, 2014
Very cul...Stay Connected
Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by mujaya1(m): 8:49am On Jul 24, 2014
very nice.very nice.very nice.
Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by Ichel: 8:56am On Jul 24, 2014
b3llo: Number 6, is very true.
Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by harev16: 8:59am On Jul 24, 2014
Nice piece... But I think the idea of a countdown to the grave is a little out of place. Life has no definite span, so you can't countdown to the unknown

2 Likes

Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by 30secs(m): 9:36am On Jul 24, 2014
Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by fairheven: 9:43am On Jul 24, 2014
harev16: Nice piece... But I think the idea of a countdown to the grave is a little out of place. Life has no definite span, so you can't countdown to the unknown
Life has a definite span,just that man does not know it.

5 Likes

Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by chuxyz(m): 9:45am On Jul 24, 2014
harev16: Nice piece... But I think the idea of a countdown to the grave is a little out of place. Life has no definite span, so you can't countdown to the unknown
since life has no definite span, why are you counting your age to the unknown? Or do you know your final age? Hear the guy above me.

1 Like

Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by Rdduite(m): 11:45am On Jul 24, 2014
KillerBeauty: I learn something new everyday

Yeah baby thats right, as you're going to learn am your new bf grin

3 Likes

Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by Olucheye(m): 12:21pm On Jul 24, 2014
But that queen's convenient birthday celebration though, that sounds dope....

Number 6 Is A Real Fact...

Let me Add,

The most common birth date of the year is 5th of October which falls 9 months after the New Year’s Eve.

29th February comes once every 4 years, it’s the least common birth date.

3 Likes

Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by majamajic(m): 1:13pm On Jul 24, 2014
No 2... I don't believe.

It took me 25 pages to see someone a day apart my birthday in a birthday match thread here on NL.
Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by harev16: 3:24pm On Jul 24, 2014
fairheven:
Life has a definite span,just that man does not know it.
There may be a definite span assuming everything takes a natural course but an accident or unprecedented events can terminate Life at any point in time so will the countdown run instantaneously to zero in a matter of seconds?

3 Likes

Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by harev16: 3:27pm On Jul 24, 2014
chuxyz: since life has no definite span, why are you counting your age to the unknown? Or do you know your final age? Hear the guy above me.
That's why you can only count up from the day you were born, because you know the day you were born.
Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by wheesin(m): 4:12pm On Jul 24, 2014
K
Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by fairheven: 4:14pm On Jul 24, 2014
harev16: There may be a definite span assuming everything takes a natural course but an accident or unprecedented events can terminate Life at any point in time so will the countdown run instantaneously to zero in a matter of seconds?
Who knows if the accident is part of the span,every day u wake,u are taking a step closer to ur grave,whether young or old

3 Likes

Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by SpaceGoat: 4:46pm On Jul 24, 2014
Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by Bawsse(m): 5:28pm On Jul 24, 2014
SpaceGoat: if you have beard click here https://www.nairaland.com/1827552/thread-people-beard#24939542

what for
Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by SpaceGoat: 5:29pm On Jul 24, 2014
Bawsse:

what for
bruv do you beard ? if you have click here http://
www.nairaland.com/1827552/thread-people-beard#24939542
Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by Isiterere(m): 6:41pm On Jul 24, 2014
it's only number 6 that makes sense pass

Death is inevitable

ALL IZZ WELL
Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by jericco1(m): 6:49pm On Jul 24, 2014
KillerBeauty: I learn something new everyday

something like??
Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by Oahray: 8:46pm On Jul 24, 2014
Em... Number 2... What's the basis for saying that having 23 people (253 possible combinations) would give an approximate 50% chance of matching birthdays? They only explained a simple 23nCr2 and jumped to a 50% solution.

How did they arrive at that conclusion, knowing that for each combination, we have a (4/1461) probability of same birthday?

Someone explain biko smiley

Edited: ok, I understand now.
Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by chuxyz(m): 9:00pm On Jul 24, 2014
harev16: That's why you can only count up from the day you were born, because you know the day you were born.
So as you are counting up are you not getting older? If you are getting older are you not getting closer to the grave. That means the time to the grave is shortening(or counting down). Thank you

1 Like

Re: Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays by Roon9(m): 11:09pm On Jul 24, 2014
!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Moremi Hall In Obafemi Awolowo University On Fire. / What Was Your Nickname In Secondary School? / JAMB/UME 2012 Exam Date: Shifted/Postponed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.