Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,281 members, 7,957,721 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 06:17 PM

Fustration Of A Jobseeker - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Fustration Of A Jobseeker (1208 Views)

Ordeal Of A Jobseeker Today In Victoria Island,pls Beware / How A Jobseeker Responded To A Company’s Rejection Letter / Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fustration Of A Jobseeker by Nobody: 1:12am On Jul 25, 2014
I am tired of sitting at home without job & d must fustrating thing is dat I presently squat with my friend whom i believe is tired of me. I intend going to Lagos but I don't have anyone to squat with till I get a job. I am thinking of squatting in a church or somewhere else. Pls, advice
Re: Fustration Of A Jobseeker by thekrine: 6:37am On Jul 25, 2014
Hello Eddyken,

On your living condition...
Has your friend told you he can no longer accommodate you or are you just assuming? Squatting is uncomfortable for both you and your friend that owns the place and sometimes that discomfort is necessary to help you get on your feet. I don't think moving into a church is a good idea (not so sure how possible it is either). I suggest you remain with your friend, help around his house as much as you can (not saying you should turn to his slave but let him just not see you as an extra burden). He probably went through this phase as well and understands what you are going through. Most importantly even though you apply for jobs, applying for jobs should never be all you do everyday. Get involved in other activities, church, sports etc. Just make sure your daily activity is not job search, job search, job search. That must be frustrating.

On your job search...
Are you applying for jobs? There are a lot of jobs seekers out there who have gotten frustrated of it all and have equally stopped applying for jobs. There are jobs out there, albeit few but you will eventually get one of them. Majority of the employed folks out there passed through this phase you are in now, I did and so did most of my friends and family. I had this convo with my colleagues months back and frustration doesn't rightly capture how they (guys especially) described what they went through when without a job. Just do the following:
- Ensure you have access to the internet. I'm sure you know you need to have regular access to the internet for your job search
- Visiting Narialand jobs is always a great starting point
- Don't apply for every job you see as that will frustrate you more because you will not get called in for what you are not qualified. When I searched for a job, I came across at most 3 jobs a day that matched the type of job I was qualified for and some days I did not see a single one. Avoid sending your cv to everything, the lack of invitation for interviews or being shortlisted will frustrate you further. Be picky.
- When you apply, make sure your applications are put together excellently; good cv, good covering letter, if applying from a phone ensure the 'sent from my blackberry', signature etc has been cleared off. Be professional with it.

Whatever you do, ensure you are around or in touch with family/friends that care and can support you with little funds until you get a job.

Job search frustrates a lot of people but being without a job is just a phase.

I've not reviewed CVs in a while but I can give yours a go if you want. Send yours to me together with your covering letter as if you were applying for a job - thekrine@gmail.com and I'll look at it within 6hrs. I hope you get a job soon.

Best wishes

6 Likes

Re: Fustration Of A Jobseeker by Nobody: 6:56am On Jul 25, 2014
Goodmorning thekrine. Although you directed your counsel-- I would call it that-- to Eddyken, but I'd love to tell you thanks, cos it brought insight and calm to me too.

Pls I would love to ask you a question: when you talked about sending applications online, did you mean unsolicited and speculative applications (where you simply get the company's HR email and send ur application without been asked or send ur application to a company that tells you to make ur application even though thr's currently no vacancy). If so, how much do companies respond to such?

I'm planning on starting such online applications very soon, and I just want to know all there is to know about it. Thanks alot.

@Eddyken, pls just hold up and dont give up. As cliche as it sounds: winners never quit, and quitters never win.
Re: Fustration Of A Jobseeker by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 25, 2014
thekrine: Hello Eddyken,

On your living condition...
Has your friend told you he can no longer accommodate you or are you just assuming? Squatting is uncomfortable for both you and your friend that owns the place and sometimes that discomfort is necessary to help you get on your feet. I don't think moving into a church is a good idea (not so sure how possible it is either). I suggest you remain with your friend, help around his house as much as you can (not saying you should turn to his slave but let him just not see you as an extra burden). He probably went through this phase as well and understands what you are going through. Most importantly even though you apply for jobs, applying for jobs should never be all you do everyday. Get involved in other activities, church, sports etc. Just make sure your daily activity is not job search, job search, job search. That must be frustrating.

On your job search...
Are you applying for jobs? There are a lot of jobs seekers out there who have gotten frustrated of it all and have equally stopped applying for jobs. There are jobs out there, albeit few but you will eventually get one of them. Majority of the employed folks out there passed through this phase you are in now, I did and so did most of my friends and family. I had this convo with my colleagues months back and frustration doesn't rightly capture how they (guys especially) described what they went through when without a job. Just do the following:
- Ensure you have access to the internet. I'm sure you know you need to have regular access to the internet for your job search
- Visiting Narialand jobs is always a great starting point
- Don't apply for every job you see as that will frustrate you more because you will not get called in for what you are not qualified. When I searched for a job, I came across at most 3 jobs a day that matched the type of job I was qualified for and some days I did not see a single one. Avoid sending your cv to everything, the lack of invitation for interviews or being shortlisted will frustrate you further. Be picky.
- When you apply, make sure your applications are put together excellently; good cv, good covering letter, if applying from a phone ensure the 'sent from my blackberry', signature etc has been cleared off. Be professional with it.

Whatever you do, ensure you are around or in touch with family/friends that care and can support you with little funds until you get a job.

Job search frustrates a lot of people but being without a job is just a phase.

I've not reviewed CVs in a while but I can give yours a go if you want. Send yours to me together with your covering letter as if you were applying for a job - thekrine@gmail.com and I'll look at it within 6hrs. I hope you get a job soon.

Best wishes
Thanks for your advice. I am sure you had work on my CV few months ago. Although I was called for some interviews but I haven't get response. Nevertheless, i will send the documents to you for further review especially the covering letter. I really do appreciate your effort
Re: Fustration Of A Jobseeker by Nobody: 7:22am On Jul 25, 2014
@thekrine I love ur advice. Am in the same situation as the op, the only difference is that I've worked before. The company was liquidated by AMCON. No payoff, nothing. Inshort, as am typing am fed up with life. The only jobs in warri where I live are sales boys jobs. As it is now it only God dat can deliver me. Am almost frustrated.

1 Like

Re: Fustration Of A Jobseeker by Emmysteve(m): 8:19am On Jul 25, 2014
@OP God will surely come to your rescue sooner than you expect, you might even stop looking for jobs. Na God go save this jungle called Nigeria.
Re: Fustration Of A Jobseeker by thekrine: 9:04am On Jul 25, 2014
Hello Ezeed,

I was referring to applying to jobs that have been advertised. However, sending unsolicited applications is a good idea too. Ensure your application captures the type of job your are aiming at (I got my first job after NYSC this way in January 2010). I visited a website that had a list of accounting firms in Nigeria and sent applications to each one of the email addresses, separately. My application stated I was looking for an entry level audit role etc. I got 2 interviews from this and one job offer, both in Lagos. I'm no longer on that job but it was a good start.

A mistake some people make with unsolicited applications is that they simply send in a CV and nothing else (not even a subject on their email). Others send in a CV and indirectly say 'I don't have a choice, I will do any type of job you can give me'. Your application should always highlight your strengths and career interests. The HR within that organisation will measure your skills and place you in an appropriate role.

Ezeed: Goodmorning thekrine. Although you directed your counsel-- I would call it that-- to Eddyken, but I'd love to tell you thanks, cos it brought insight and calm to me too.

Pls I would love to ask you a question: when you talked about sending applications online, did you mean unsolicited and speculative applications (where you simply get the company's HR email and send ur application without been asked or send ur application to a company that tells you to make ur application even though thr's currently no vacancy). If so, how much do companies respond to such?

I'm planning on starting such online applications very soon, and I just want to know all there is to know about it. Thanks alot.

@Eddyken, pls just hold up and dont give up. As cliche as it sounds: winners never quit, and quitters never win.

3 Likes

Re: Fustration Of A Jobseeker by thekrine: 9:14am On Jul 25, 2014
Hello tosag,

Sorry about that. Hang in there and do more applications. You have an edge that you have some work experience. It is harder for applicants out there who have never had a job with little to nothing on their CVs.

Ensure you work on your CV, update it to capture all your work experiences and apply. Best of luck

tosag: @thekrine I love ur advice. Am in the same situation as the op, the only difference is that I've worked before. The company was liquidated by AMCON. No payoff, nothing. Inshort, as am typing am fed up with life. The only jobs in warri where I live are sales boys jobs. As it is now it only God dat can deliver me. Am almost frustrated.
Re: Fustration Of A Jobseeker by Nobody: 9:24am On Jul 25, 2014
@thekrine, thanks so much for responding. I really appreciate your advice.

I'll do just as you have said.
Re: Fustration Of A Jobseeker by Nobody: 10:47am On Jul 25, 2014
thekrine: Hello tosag,

Sorry about that. Hang in there and do more applications. You have an edge that you have some work experience. It is harder for applicants out there who have never had a job with little to nothing on their CVs.

Ensure you work on your CV, update it to capture all your work experiences and apply. Best of luck

thanks bro.
Re: Fustration Of A Jobseeker by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jul 25, 2014
I felt so compelled to log in and drop a comment.
I am very sorry I have to drop this link but if you read it, I can bet that you would be inspired.
Getting A Job In Nigeria, How Easy?: http://www.businessngr..com/2014/06/getting-job-in-nigeria-how-easy.html
If you would want a further explanation on what you read, drop comments on the blog and I will respond accordingly.
Re: Fustration Of A Jobseeker by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 25, 2014
richarts: I felt so compelled to log in and drop a comment.
I am very sorry I have to drop this link but if you read it, I can bet that you would be inspired.
Getting A Job In Nigeria, How Easy?: http://www.businessngr..com/2014/06/getting-job-in-nigeria-how-easy.html
If you would want a further explanation on what you read, drop comments and I will respond accordingly.
This is motivating. Thanks
Re: Fustration Of A Jobseeker by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 25, 2014
Eddyken:
This is motivating. Thanks

Thank you. People have testified reading that post.
Re: Fustration Of A Jobseeker by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jul 25, 2014
@TheKrine, i have sent my CV n cover letter to you
Re: Fustration Of A Jobseeker by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jul 25, 2014
I received your mail. Thanks for the recommendations and observation as I expect the cover letter sample. May God bless u
Re: Fustration Of A Jobseeker by benzion72(m): 6:30pm On Jul 25, 2014
Looking for job may be frustrating, honestly to be out of means of livelihood in Nigeria may be tough, if your faith in God is not strong and you do not have understanding friend and family, while all advise giving cannot be faulted in regard to CV, cover letters and what have you. Introducing spiritual dimension to it, is not out of place. There are many testimonies of people who got job after deliverance from Mountain of Fire and Miracle Ministries deliverance session. Africa is a dark continent where progress of fellow human being are hindered. Or why will people be kidnapping innocent children to make rituals is not to gain one economic advantage spiritually on others. Please this is my personal opinion it may not be academically sound or prove the test of logic.
I pray God help for all of us

1 Like

Re: Fustration Of A Jobseeker by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jul 25, 2014
Ezeed: Goodmorning thekrine. Although you directed your counsel-- I would call it that-- to Eddyken, but I'd love to tell you thanks, cos it brought insight and calm to me too.

@Ezeed, thanks
Re: Fustration Of A Jobseeker by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jul 25, 2014
Emmysteve: @OP God will surely come to your rescue sooner than you expect, you might even stop looking for jobs. Na God go save this jungle called Nigeria.
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Put in work / 10 Crucial Things To Include In Your CV / Awake Interlink Aptitude Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.