Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,289 members, 7,818,983 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:28 AM

Difference Between Center And Centre - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between Center And Centre (37846 Views)

The Difference Between An Alligator And A Crocodile / Jamb 2015:shrare Ur Dates,time, AND Centre Of Examination / What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by roufy235(m): 1:35pm On Jul 26, 2014
centre is british version while center is american version
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by newslife: 1:40pm On Jul 26, 2014
Visit ur dictionary
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by pek(m): 1:52pm On Jul 26, 2014
AdeniyiA: "center" refers to d middle of something. while "centre" refers to "a place of OR a place for. eg "centre for continue education "
Very wrong! I am more appaled at the likes you got.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by apolonius(m): 2:01pm On Jul 26, 2014
Polaris1: Both are correct.
Centre is the traditional spelling,
Center is more of a US spelling that is gaining popularity (More like the way color is getting to replace colour).

This is right.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jul 26, 2014
Ezedon: Center is where a guy insert joystick while centre is the place where the action took place, so the later is for examination

Y dis one dey think go left lyk dis??...ha!...smh
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by antartica(m): 2:10pm On Jul 26, 2014
They are the same word spelled differently that is used by oyinbos to confuse and mentally enslaved you and as a results made you guys the laughing stocks of the world today.Lazy intellectuals

What do you call it in your native language?Village square might make simple explanation.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Babaji111(m): 2:17pm On Jul 26, 2014
AdeniyiA: "center" refers to d middle of something. while "centre" refers to "a place of OR a place for. eg "centre for continue education "
Right..Good one. But truly you are also wrong. Centre and center are British and American words.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by deletrue: 2:47pm On Jul 26, 2014
AdeniyiA:
meter is d device for measurement, the calibrated values obtained are now written as "metre" (m)
This man is ready for una. Oya, fire am another grammar. I know you cannot disappoint.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by NaLaugh: 2:48pm On Jul 26, 2014
mezebel: u are most incorrect,nothing like british and america in dis context...check my correction above!!!

I just love people who have no idea what they're saying, but still speak with confidence and authority tongue

Let me explain: Both of your definitions for "centre" and "center" are valid. HOWEVER, your overall "explanation" is terribly wrong.

You have explained both spellings by flip-flopping between British and American forms of the SAME word, but then ascribing to each one
a different contextual meaning.

e.g i live in the U.S and we write Checks, while you write Cheques.
SAME word, just American and British. This means their "meanings" are the same when used in the same context.

What you have managed to do in your "correction" is say something like this:

"A check is when you sign a check, and give it to someone, while a cheque is when you take a cheque to the bank and cash it."

Both statements are correct, BUT DO NOT amount to a difference in their meanings.
You have only taken two forms of the same word (Br & Am), and explained both in different contexts, while passing it off as a difference.

in my primary school debate voice:
I hope say i don convince you, and not confuse you say "center" and "centre" na American and British forms of the same thing respectively . Thank you. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by deletrue: 3:00pm On Jul 26, 2014
Ok, if na so, tell me the different between ''between and middle''. I think una like to talk for everything?
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by deletrue: 3:06pm On Jul 26, 2014
For those of you who are students, you can use both words, center and centre to confuse examiners. Just use them up and down, I bet you, the examiner will score you very high.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Abbey2sam(m): 3:25pm On Jul 26, 2014
ghettodreamz:

I think you need it more than I do. The OP simply asked which one is right connoting an examination venue, and the explanation I'd quoted explained it well, as far as Nigeria's context and our English which is British is concerned. The OP is a Nigerian I assume, and you wouldn't expect her to use the American English as one.

In addition, I never faulted other comments as regarding the subject matter; hence, your comment in quote above is gratuitous.

well, I'm sure they both mean the same thing..........bye
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by ghettodreamz(m): 3:27pm On Jul 26, 2014
Abbey2sam:

well, I'm sure they both mean the same thing..........bye

Nice weekend to you.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jul 26, 2014
Damlesky: can't you just check your dictionary undecided why is everybody opening thread just to ask silly questions mtcheeew angry angry angry

Why go to school?
Why don't u buy all the books and read at home?

Inferiority complex is when u are pissed off with people who don't do thing's your own way, its also a wicked mindset.

Asking questions have never been classified as a crime so why the frustration and anger?

Are u a sadist?

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jul 26, 2014
AdeniyiA:
meter is d device for measurement, the calibrated values obtained are now written as "metre" (m)

Stop feeding ppl wrong information.
"Meter" a device for measurement; like you said, can also calibrate electrical quantities, e.g Ohmmeter;
which of course does not render it's unit in meters but rather, Ohms
and also an Ammeter; which calibrates values in Amperes (or amps, for short)

Basically, what we are looking at here are two variants of English Language; as offered by
the Britons and the Americans . . . We follow the same semantics as our colonial masters.

U be big time olodo, and e dey pain me ga'aannn

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jul 26, 2014
deletrue: Ok, if na so, tell me the different between ''between and middle''. I think una like to talk for everything?

u be big time olodo . . "between" and "middle" do not mean the same tin.

between: used to compare 2 things .. .e.g Between James and John, who is friendlier ?

Middle: to denote the centre of sometin . . . e.g. John stood in the middle !!

It should rather be "in-between"

Dumb skull!!!

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by muchyblink(m): 5:19pm On Jul 26, 2014
Oxford Advanced Dictionary is your friend
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jul 26, 2014
And U've already gotten 143 'likes' for this misinformation? Center is purely American while Centre is English... Gasoline is American and Petrol is English, Parafin is American and Kerosine is English.... Program(American), Programme(English)... I need to stop. This isn't an English Language study class
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by nikkyshyne(f): 6:12pm On Jul 26, 2014
OMG!! Now 147 likes

DIES!
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jul 26, 2014
nikkyshyne: OMG!! Now 147 likes

DIES!
Its quite sad my sister... The level of ignorance here is escalating to very extreme proportions. Its an indictment on the quality of education in Nigeria. How do we save these people?
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by dont8(m): 6:35pm On Jul 26, 2014
This is how the blockheads up North mislead their people with mis-information, smh.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by deavicky(m): 6:54pm On Jul 26, 2014
Center means middle and centre means near the middle. But u can as well be close to ur dictionary, as this will help u know words better.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by deavicky(m): 6:58pm On Jul 26, 2014
u too much. I see both of us using the same dictionary.
ur page 123 still dey? Pls make a photocopy of it for me.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by DollyParton1(f): 8:39pm On Jul 26, 2014
asuustrike1:
we learn every day. and I know so many persons don't know it even here in this forum.

Yea I agree. But if he had done a little research, he won't be asking this particular question.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Libkid(m): 9:07pm On Jul 26, 2014
DollyParton1:

Yea I agree. But if he had done a little research, he won't be asking this particular question.
carry my problem for head like gala hawker?? I jux wanted to knw datx all
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by mezebel(f): 10:19pm On Jul 26, 2014
NaLaugh:

I just love people who have no idea what they're saying, but still speak with confidence and authority tongue

Let me explain: Both of your definitions for "centre" and "center" are valid. HOWEVER, your overall "explanation" is terribly wrong.

You have explained both spellings by flip-flopping between British and American forms of the SAME word, but then ascribing to each one
a different contextual meaning.

e.g i live in the U.S and we write Checks, while you write Cheques.
SAME word, just American and British. This means their "meanings" are the same when used in the same context.

What you have managed to do in your "correction" is say something like this:

"A check is when you sign a check, and give it to someone, while a cheque is when you take a cheque to the bank and cash it."

Both statements are correct, BUT DO NOT amount to a difference in their meanings.
You have only taken two forms of the same word (Br & Am), and explained both in different contexts, while passing it off as a difference.

in my primary school debate voice:
I hope say i don convince you, and not confuse you say "center" and "centre" na American and British forms of the same thing respectively . Thank you. cheesy
thanks for d wonderful nonsense
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by DollyParton1(f): 10:21pm On Jul 26, 2014
Libkid: carry my problem for head like gala hawker?? I jux wanted to knw datx all

Lol... Olodo.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Libkid(m): 10:24pm On Jul 26, 2014
DollyParton1:

Lol... Olodo.
lol duh
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by popson1st: 10:52pm On Jul 26, 2014
One is British and the other is American. Indont know why America always prove stubborn and superior. Why would they have to reframe British English, instead of having their own traditional language? All products made in America are coded in American English, while the ones in British or British colonised nations ate coded in British English. See this.. Bank Check or Bank Cheque
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by mrofficial(m): 10:59pm On Jul 26, 2014

Well, this is what WordWeb says. The only difference is that, Center is American and Centre is British.

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by mytym(m): 12:43am On Jul 27, 2014
Horlufemi: There is English (US) and English (UK). They have different spellings for some words that mean the same. In Nigeria please use UK English in formal writing. I guess we should even have English (Nigeria) sef. he is lacking in brilliance.
i would have ignored this quietly but you committed the same error of presumptive judgement like i did.
His answer was correct but incomplete... yet it doesn't make him less brilliant than you are.

with respect due, even your monicker sayz it all..Yoruba (US) abi

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by adanny01(m): 1:17am On Jul 27, 2014
mezebel: thanks for d wonderful nonsense

Be always sure of yourself before you insist that you are right.

www.wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_'center'_and_'center'
It is the same thing but with different spellings. 'Center' is the spelling in American English; 'centre' is preferred in British, Indian, and Australian English.…

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre
The metre (International spelling as used by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures), or meter (American spelling), (SI unit symbol: m), is the fundamental unit of length (SI dimension symbol: L) in the International System of Units (SI).

www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/british-and-american-terms
British and American terms

British and American English often spell the same word differently, for example: labour/labor, enthrall/enthral, or centre/center. You can find out more about these differences here.

There are also many cases in which the two varieties of English use different terms to describe the same thing. Here’s a list of various British words and expressions together with their American equivalents.

British English American English
accommodation accommodations
action replay instant replay
aerofoil airfoil
aeroplane airplane
agony aunt advice columnist
Allen key Allen wrench
aluminium aluminum
aniseed anise
anticlockwise counterclockwise
articulated lorry tractor-trailer
asymmetric bars uneven bars
aubergine eggplant
baking tray cookie sheet
bank holiday legal holiday
beetroot beet(s)
bill check
biscuit cookie; cracker
black economy underground economy
blanket bath sponge bath
blind (window) shade
block of flats apartment building
boiler suit coveralls
bonnet (of a car) hood
.more available at the link

Read more on www.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Categories Of Ladies In A Female Hostel / Summary Of Jamb Novel "Sweet Sixteen" By Bolaji Abdullai / Online University BSc. Degrees In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.