Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,001 members, 7,821,507 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

Difference Between Center And Centre - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between Center And Centre (37855 Views)

The Difference Between An Alligator And A Crocodile / Jamb 2015:shrare Ur Dates,time, AND Centre Of Examination / What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Originalsly: 2:40am On Jul 27, 2014
AdeniyiA: "center" refers to d middle of something. while "centre" refers to "a place of OR a place for. eg "centre for continue education "
Hmmmm....then why can't people in this centre center their thoughts on the words center and centre and get to the center of the difference?

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by dnawah(m): 3:21am On Jul 27, 2014
Center is english while centre is french.the english borrowed centre 4rm them.unable to return it,they gave center to the american.na so i see am grin
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by NaLaugh: 3:22am On Jul 27, 2014
mezebel: thanks for d wonderful nonsense

You're very welcome.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Sammy25n(m): 10:45am On Jul 27, 2014
AdeniyiA: "center" refers to d middle of something. while "centre" refers to "a place of OR a place for. eg "centre for continue education "
i used to think much likes means the person is right. not anymore. ur very wrong. Center and centre are d same. one is american d oda is british. check ur dictionary

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by bigbozz(m): 11:52am On Jul 27, 2014
[quote
author=Damlesky]can't you just check your dictionary undecided why is
everybody opening thread just to ask silly questions mtcheeew angry
angry angry[/quote] AND THE SILLY ONES ARE COMMENTING Mitchewwwwww
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by BreezyRita(f): 3:07pm On Jul 27, 2014
Centre is the British spelling of the word while center is the American spelling.
Advice: In all formal writings, pls use centre!
Just the same as favour and favor.
Colour and color
Splendour and splendor etc
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by IbnuUche(m): 7:22pm On Jul 27, 2014
alotofgrace: unending battle btw US english and ENGLISH english
you mean ENGLAND english
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by IbnuUche(m): 7:45pm On Jul 27, 2014
bigbozz: AND THE SILLY ONES ARE COMMENTING Mitchewwwwww
silliest one is the arrogant who thought that he knows every things while not. no knowlege is waste, at times simple things like this makes a lot of people like you fumble in an interview. seems like you have forgoting the importants of group discusion in school.thanks op for refreshing somebody like me.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by excelabbey(m): 11:00pm On Jul 27, 2014
Sylverbox: I remember one of my lecturers who will easily cancel your script at the sight of 'hemoglobin' instead of Haemoglobin! He said it was important we paid attention to details!

the lecturer in question is a mofo........in reality, hemoglobin is the right spelling.......haemoglobin happens to b alternative spelling.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Sylverbox(m): 11:25pm On Jul 27, 2014
excelabbey:

the lecturer in question is a mofo........in reality, hemoglobin is the right spelling.......haemoglobin happens to b alternative spelling.
why is this generation so quick to curse? Indeed you obvioiusly have no clue about what is right or wrong. FYI both are correct just that one is American while the other is British, now ask yourself which one is acceptible by Nigerian standards.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by excelabbey(m): 11:34pm On Jul 27, 2014

.....bunkum and hogwash!

the following centers of studies in US will suffice:

Heidelberg Center for American Studies

Center for Mexican
American Studies
(CMAS)

Center for American Studies

Center for Global and
Regional Environmental
Research

http://research.uiowa.edu/directory-centers-and-institutes

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by excelabbey(m): 11:54pm On Jul 27, 2014
Sylverbox: why is this generation so quick to curse? Indeed you obvioiusly have no clue about what is right or wrong. FYI both are correct just that one is American while the other is British, now ask yourself which one is acceptible by Nigerian standards.

hemoglobin has nothing to do with British or American idiolects...your lecturer is out to bully/intimidate you guys Afterall u concurred they have the same meaning, why is he/she rubbishing your scripts. U've got to take it up with him.

wake up and smell the coffee.
PS : what do u mean by acceptible in ur memo.
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by eaglechild: 12:21am On Jul 29, 2014

It is shocking to see the mass display of ignorance exuding from the public esp judging from the number of likes.

I sincerely hope you were being sarcastic.

What you have written is info culled from controversial blogs.

The Oxford and Cambridge English dictionaries which are the respected authorities make no mention of such.

Center is simply the American spelling for centre.

Gosh!! angry angry
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by bigbozz(m): 10:31am On Aug 01, 2014
STILL EXHIBITING UR SILLINESS AGAIN? CHAI DUDE!!!! check yourself: FORGOTING, IMPORTANTS..... who taught u this? your village English teacher, right?
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by bigbozz(m): 10:38am On Aug 01, 2014
IbnuUche: silliest one is the arrogant who thought that he knows every things while not. no knowlege is waste, at times simple things like this makes a lot of people like you fumble in an interview. seems like you have forgoting the importants of group discusion in school.thanks op for refreshing somebody like me.
STILL EXHIBITING UR SILLINESS AGAIN? CHAI DUDE!!!! check yourself: FORGOTING, IMPORTANTS..... who taught u this? your village English teacher, right?
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 01, 2014

And this crap got "197"Likes.

Nigerian education have rotten. Only God will help us. cry

EDITED- It reminds me of 'Thebigurban2' comment on christian chatbox, 'Unwise/foolish comments get more Likes on Nairaland".

Tag- ihedinobi2, UjSizzle, dagr8, An0nimus, Mynd44 etc gringringrin
Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by ihedinobi2: 2:35pm On Aug 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

EDITED- It reminds me of 'Thebigurban2' comment on christian chatbox, 'Unwise/foolish comments get more Likes on Nairaland".

Lol. I think the smart thing is not to judge by 'likes' at all. The crowd are a potpourri of preferences and suppositions and arguments. Sometimes they will agree with one thing, at other times they will agree with its opposite. Sometimes even they are divided about what they agree on. The crowd is never really an 'it'. It's a pot of soup with all kinds of things in it.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by An0nimus: 4:54pm On Aug 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

Tehehehe grin you're giving LB something to feel special with today. Wait till he comes up with a meme saying "I told you so" grin

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by UjSizzle(f): 5:55pm On Aug 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

grin

@topic
Centre--UK English
Center--American English
They both basically mean the same thing

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Center And Centre by dagr8(m): 6:57pm On Aug 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

American English is unofficially into the system and it comes with dominance.
People see things like "Centre for Continious Studies" and on Ms_word for instance Centre is underlined as incorrect.....perhaps the reason why that poster came up with that conclusion.
I think I will say kudos to him for at least racking his brain.....by this time I believe he/"they" should know the difference wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Summary Of Jamb Novel "Sweet Sixteen" By Bolaji Abdullai / Online University BSc. Degrees In Nigeria / Nassarawa State University Post-ume Is Out Hurry'''' 16th-19th July

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.