Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,420 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:18 AM

South Africa Names Mashaba As Bafana Bafana Coach - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / South Africa Names Mashaba As Bafana Bafana Coach (647 Views)

It ‘ll Be Total War In Uyo — Bafana Coach / Keshi Has A Grudge Against Us – Bafana Bafana Coach / Keshi Lose To Mashaba As The New Bafana Bafana Coach. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa Names Mashaba As Bafana Bafana Coach by Godwinsilas(m): 12:45am On Jul 27, 2014
South Africa have appointed a new coach for the Bafana Bafana. According to a statement released by the South African Football Association, SAFA, moments
ago, Ephraim Mashaba would replace former coach Gordon Igesund, whose contract expired
in June. Mashaba, nicknamed "Shakes", took charge of
the Bafana Bafana on a caretaker basis in 1992 and 2001 and was a permanent coach from August 2002 until January 2004.

The South African Football Association (SAFA) has no qualms in bringing the experienced coach back into the fold once again. "First of all, I would like to thank the SAFA NEC for the confidence that they have demonstrated in me. This is a massive but exciting test. I am
elated and ready for the challenge," said Mashaba on SAFA’s official website.

"I will do all my best to bring back the winning mentality within Bafana Bafana. With the support
of all South Africans, the goal of taking Bafana Bafana back to the top is very achievable. "The good thing about this job is that I have a
clear idea of what I need to do but will first meet the SAFA leadership to agree additional performance terms. I will also take the opportunity to meet all the stakeholders and address the media on the way forward." Mashaba has most recently been taking charge of the South Africa Under-20s and hopes he will be allowed to continue leading them through the qualifiers for the African Youth Championships.

The 63-year-old, who has also coached the Swaziland national team, was sacked as the Bafana Bafana coach 10 years ago – the day the team were due to fly to the African Nations Cup finals due to an alleged breach of contract.
Commenting on Mashaba’s appointment, SAFA president, Dr Danny Jordaan said: "He has a
proven record, is a hard worker and he fulfilled all requirements we were looking for to drive our senior national team back to where we all
believe they belong – at the top."

South Africa are ranked 66th in the world and did not qualify for this year’s World Cup in Brazil after failing to top their group in the second round stage, with minnows Ethiopia finishing above them.

It was rumoured some weeks ago that Nigeria’s Super Eagles coach, Stephen Keshi, was the favourite to land the job. Other high profile coaches speculated for the job
included Frank Rijkaard, Carlos Quieros and Dick Advocaat.

https://www.leapfame.com/topic/234
Re: South Africa Names Mashaba As Bafana Bafana Coach by Leibnitz: 12:48am On Jul 27, 2014
Finally tongue
Re: South Africa Names Mashaba As Bafana Bafana Coach by Nobody: 1:59am On Jul 27, 2014
They quicky appoint a new coach when they know that Keshi has been given a new contract.

1 Like

Re: South Africa Names Mashaba As Bafana Bafana Coach by padeolu: 2:18am On Jul 27, 2014
E don finish for Keshi.

1 Like

Re: South Africa Names Mashaba As Bafana Bafana Coach by Syenite(m): 6:25am On Jul 27, 2014
Good, that makes it easy for us to trash them again.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Quartet In Uphill Battle For Individual 400m Medal, Look Good For 4x400 / Download Manchester United 3-1 Liverpool Highlight [international Champions Cup] / Mikel Expected To Stay At Chelsea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.