Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,627 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud (2649 Views)

FG Probes 10 Varsities Over Fraud, Sex Scandals(see List)-daily Trust / Uniport Graduates 41 First Class Out Of 18000 Graduating Students / Scholarship Scam:Security Forces Arrest First Class Graduate Over Internet Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by lillaowow(m): 10:18am On Jul 27, 2014
The Police Special Fraud Unit (PSFU) have arrested a 6-
man internet fraud syndicate that includes a First Class
honor graduate who specialize in designing the
organisation’s websites and using same to defraud
unsuspecting job seekers, this is according to a report on
the Nigerian police website.
A petition dated 22nd August 2013, received from
OPEC FUND for International Development alleged that
a website designed as “OFID Scholarship Website” with
OFID name and logo has been used to defraud
innocent Nigerian applicants. That in the website,
applicants were required to pay N2,500.00 as an
application fee and over 2,000 applicants responded
and paid the fees through the First Bank Account
Number 2020874607 and Access Bank Account Number
0056941009 with the name OFID WSAS NG. The
petitioner stated further that it was one of the victims
that contacted OFID via facebook, accusing OFID of
being complicit in the fraud.
The Cybercrime Section of the Unit swung into action and
the mastermind of the fraud, one Falade Oluwapelumi
Ayotunde was arrested. His arrest led to the arrest of
five other syndicate members. Police investigation so far
revealed that over 2,000 applicants paid the sum of
N2,500.00 each into the two banks provided by the
suspects and the principal suspect is the only signatory
to both accounts.

[1] FALADE OLUWAPELUMI AYOTUNDE - A 25years old
from Akure, Ondo State and 500Level Estate
Management student of Federal University of
Technology, Akure (FUTA). The suspect made a
confessional statement, that he designed the website of
OFID WSAS (OPEC Fund for International Development
for World Student Aid Scholarship) in June, 2012. That
the idea came from one Fajobi Olalekan and Bolatiri
Opemipo. He also admitted that he opened an account in
both First Bank and Access Bank with the name OFID
WSAS NG for applicants to pay in their application fee
which many responded to. He further stated that he and
his cohorts printed a postal for OFIDWAS which was on
the website.

[2] ASAOLU VICTOR – 25years old from Ilesha in Osun
State and a graduate of Mining Engineering from Federal
University of Technology, Akure (FUTA). A job seeker,
He confessed that he assisted to paste the posters on
line and he was given N80,000.00 initially and later
another N40,000.00 totaling N120,000.00 for the job.

[3] AWOTE TEMITOPE EMMANUEL – 27years old. A
500Level Estate Management student of Federal
University of Technology, Akure (FUTA). He confessed
that he assisted the principal suspect to sign guarantor
for the accounts he opened in First Bank and Access
Bank for the OFID program and was paid N70,000.00
which he had spent for his personal effects. He stated
that he participated in pasting and publicizing the fake
OFID Scholarship Program. He also stated that he knew
from the onset that the OFID Scholarship Program is a
scam aimed at defrauding innocent scholarship
applicant but that he still went on to deceive the bank
that his friend is honest and the program genuine.

[4] FAJOBI OLALEKAN is 27years old from Lagos State
and a Mechanical Engineering graduate of Federal
University of Technology, Akure (FUTA) with a first class
honour and the best graduating student in his
department for the year 2012. He is currently working
with Dee Xecutor Concept. He stated that while in
school, he lived in the same Lodge with the 1st suspect
and his mates/friends always come to him for
educational assistance because of his intelligence. That
he once fell victim for scholarship known as EDIADS,
which made the 1st suspect to approach him and got
some information regarding that one, which he believed
gave him an idea on how to design OFID Scholarship
Website. He further stated that he lent the 1st suspect
the sum N12,000.00 for hosting the Website. He later
gave him N20,000.00 in return and informed him that the
fraud was successful.

[5] BOLATIRI EMMANUEL ONAOPEMIPO is 25years old
from Oyo State. A graduate of FUTA. He is currently a
Handset Dealer. He corroborated Fajobi Olalekan’s
statement that they applied for scholarship while in
school which turned out to be fake and they shared their
experiences with the 1st suspect which gave him an idea
on how to design his own fake Website with OFID name/
logo. He also stated that he lent him the sum of
N8,000.00 and was later paid N12,000.00 with interest.

[6] ADEBOMI OLUWATOSIN – 26years old and a
graduate of FUTA. He is currently working with Delta
State Polytechnic, Ozoro as a Programmer II. According
to him, he offered professional advice to the 1st suspect
and lent him the sum of N10,000.00 and was later given
N100,000.00 as his own share. He confessed that he
knew from the onset that it was fraud aimed at
defrauding innocent applicants, since there was no
authority from OFID.

Investigation is on-going. Suspects will be charged to
court soonest. The Commissioner of Police, Police
Special Fraud Unit, CP Umar F. Idris advises the general
public to verify the genuineness of any on-line advert
before parting with their money. He also uses this
medium to invite the affected victims to Police Special
Fraud Unit (PSFU) No. 13, Milverton Road, Ikoyi – Lagos
in furtherance of the investigation.

DSP NGOZI ISINTUME-AGU
Police Public Relations Officer
For: Commissioner of Police
Police Special Fraud Unit
Ikoyi – Lagos.
Source : http://lindaikeji..com/2014/07/police-arrest-first-class-honors.html?m=1

Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by lillaowow(m): 10:23am On Jul 27, 2014
this is what happens in a country where bright students are unemployed and Idle. several of this scams are perpetrated daily in Nigeria. by the government, JAMB, universities etc etc. na dat government own worse pass. how is this different from the Immigration recruitment scams.

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by nwaanambra1(m): 10:26am On Jul 27, 2014
Ndi ofeakwu na skamu! lipsrsealed

Those names of the scammers. sha! i comment my reserve! grin grin

i bet one of my balls (football 000!) that this topic will not make front page! grin

8 Likes

Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by nwaanambra1(m): 10:30am On Jul 27, 2014
lillaowow: this is what happens in a country where bright students are unemployed and Idle. several of this scams are perpetrated daily in Nigeria. by the government, JAMB, universities etc etc. na dat government own worse pass. how is this different from the Immigration recruitment scams.

i guess since they are your brothers you have every right to defend mediocre. If it were other tribes now i know what your first comment will be. but sha its a free world.

A thief is a thief no matter how bright he is! With a first class degree he is intelligent enough to think positively! And not negatively! angry

7 Likes

Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by lillaowow(m): 10:32am On Jul 27, 2014
nwaanambra1:

i guess since they are your brothers you have every right to defend mediocre. If it were other tribes now i know what your first comment will be. but sha its a free world.

A thief is a thief no matter how bright he is! With a first class degree he is intelligent enough to think positively! And not negatively! angry
You're a bigot.

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by ericessien24: 10:33am On Jul 27, 2014
if the first class guy had a job of his qualifications and result,he no go do scammer.so I blame Nigeria and blame him for getting caught

2 Likes

Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by lillaowow(m): 10:34am On Jul 27, 2014
nwaanambra1: Ndi ofeakwu na skamu! lipsrsealed

i bet one of my balls (football 000!) that this topic will not make front page! grin

Be reasonable for once. How is this different from the immigration recruitment scam. This is what we face as a nation. It's not just about tribe.

3 Likes

Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by nwaanambra1(m): 10:51am On Jul 27, 2014
lillaowow:
You're a bigot.

Bigot? i don't expect you to call me anything less - like i said, they are your brothers so the first instinct will be to defend them even though you very well know that a criminal will always be a criminal no matter what you offer him!

A first class graduate becoming a scammer? Well fact is, he has always been a scammer - check his activities while in the university and you will see evidence that he did not start scamming after he graduated. He has always been a scammer - I hope the first class degree he has is clean.undecided

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by lillaowow(m): 11:02am On Jul 27, 2014
nwaanambra1:

Bigot? i don't expect you to call me anything less - like i said, they are your brothers so the first instinct will be to defend them even though you very well know that a criminal will always be a criminal no matter what you offer him!

A first class graduate becoming a scammer? Well fact is, he has always been a scammer - check his activities while in the university and you will see evidence that he did not start scamming after he graduated. He has always been a scammer - I hope the first class degree he has is clean.undecided
did you read the post at all?. You're not only a bigot but an unintelligent one. What of the state governments that have been scamming unemployed youths in the name of Job application fee and form.

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by lillaowow(m): 11:04am On Jul 27, 2014
Mind you, I'mnot saying what they did is right. But there is bigger trouble if we keep seeing occurences like this more often. Immigration , navy, army, custom rectuitment scams are no different.
Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by Nobody: 11:14am On Jul 27, 2014
Futa boys dey vex
Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by Nobody: 11:41am On Jul 27, 2014
nwaanambra1: Ndi ofeakwu na ofe nmmanu skamu! lipsrsealed

i bet one of my balls (football 000!) that this topic will not and never make front page! grin

Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by CoolKizzy(m): 12:23pm On Jul 27, 2014
lillaowow: this is what happens in a country where bright students are unemployed and Idle. several of this scams are perpetrated daily in Nigeria. by the government, JAMB, universities etc etc. na dat government own worse pass. how is this different from the Immigration recruitment scams.

my friend shatap! Which of them isn't working? They did the crime when they where in school! Talk about trying to live above your means/level. Don't defend crime!

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by Krasid(m): 12:27pm On Jul 27, 2014
Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by Krasid(m): 12:29pm On Jul 27, 2014
Talent wasted, but what do you expect when talented youths are unemployed.
Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by obioraval(m): 12:38pm On Jul 27, 2014
Ok. B4 e enter fp.
Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by yuzedo: 1:12pm On Jul 27, 2014
Rubbish! Which "confessional" statements?! The same ones that can be upturned by reason of Police coercion? Good lawyers will get at least 4 of the 6 accused off the hook. Only people going down (if at all) are the Falade that designed the website/opened bank account and the website programmer.
The former's case is made worse by the fact that his cohorts now have true figures and realise he cut them less than 10% of the proceeds! grin Canaries have just been born. cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by thunderrider: 1:51pm On Jul 27, 2014
Na wao
Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by Vstuffs(m): 1:56pm On Jul 27, 2014
They use their talent uselessly
Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jul 27, 2014

Stop defending their crime and blaming government jor.

Going to university isn't all about getting a white collar job after you have graduated.

Uneducated people still making it. They even went to technology school which should have given them an edge.

Atleast, he graduated with a first class meaning 'he's smart' if noe be runse dash am the certificate. And he should have used his brain to develop a business to cater for him not scamming.

This goes to show that FUTA is useless university. grin

I am sure he's a product of La cram, La pour. cheesy Only if he didn't get the cert through fake means sha. undecided

Finally, FUTO still lead as number one Technology school in Nigeria. cool

2 Likes

Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by Chanchit: 2:56pm On Jul 27, 2014
See the 6 musketeers... Na inside prison una go small, nxt time do scam worth 100b...
Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by Aitee1: 3:43pm On Jul 27, 2014
Nigga u don enter one chance...history has it dat topic wid such names as listed above dnt hit fp *tongue's out*
obioraval: Ok. B4 e enter fp.

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by lillaowow(m): 4:45pm On Jul 27, 2014
FrancisTony:

Going to university isn't all about getting a white collar job after you have graduated.

Uneducated people still making it. They even went to technology school which should have given them an edge.

Atleast, he graduated with a first class meaning 'he's smart' if noe be runse dash am the certificate. And he should have used his brain to develop a business to cater for him not scamming.

I am sure he's a product of La cram, La pour. cheesy Only if he didn't get the cert through fake means sha. undecided

that useless FUTO?... Futa is still number 1 bro. Go lick your wounds
Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by iamskiigii(m): 4:48pm On Jul 27, 2014
FrancisTony:

calm your nerves! The first class graduate and another only learnt the Falade guy money and he refunded dem with like 50% interest. It is just a pity dey got involved. As yuzedo rightly said, four might b off d hook with good lawyers. Don't let us play hypocrite as we all know someone who isn't doing something right but never thought is wise to report. Who is going to lie he doesn't know a confirmed working boy "fraudster"? Did you tell d police?
Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by JustCurious: 5:06pm On Jul 27, 2014
Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by Odunharry(m): 5:18pm On Jul 27, 2014
Some girls thought Ebola is another
Hit song like DOROBUCCI, they have
started changing their names to
Ebolasexy, EbolaDiva, Ebola Pearl,
EbolaChic, EbolaDuchess, EbolaCutie.
Etc... Abeg someone should inform them
that Ebola na disease o... I don talk
my own.
Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by amakufrancis(m): 5:23pm On Jul 27, 2014
FUTA
Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by fr3do(m): 5:26pm On Jul 27, 2014
shocked first class in mech eng no be beans o.

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 27, 2014
iamskiigii: calm your nerves! The first class graduate and another only learnt the Falade guy money and he refunded dem with like 50% interest. It is just a pity dey got involved. As yuzedo rightly said, four might b off d hook with good lawyers. Don't let us play hypocrite as we all know someone who isn't doing something right but never thought is wise to report. Who is going to lie he doesn't know a confirmed working boy "fraudster"? Did you tell d police?
U are very correct. Take for an example, I have friends that are into Yahoo, I know they are into Yahoo but I never reported to d police. One day, one of them comes to me to lend him money to maybe buy a modem, after that his maga paid which he might have told us as per friends, he paid me back the money I borrowed him to get the modem with some money added on top and also took guys out to drink beer. After he was caught, he now started mentioning his guys names as accomplices. The guys that lent him money can get off d hook but it will surely cost them their respective jobs

PS: Guess I will stop drinking free beers 4rm some of my guys hand b4 pesin go say I follow am scam white man grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by cnwamo(m): 5:39pm On Jul 27, 2014
Odunharry: Some girls thought Ebola is another
Hit song like DOROBUCCI, they have
started changing their names to
Ebolasexy, EbolaDiva, Ebola Pearl,
EbolaChic, EbolaDuchess, EbolaCutie.
Etc... Abeg someone should inform them
that Ebola na disease o... I don talk
my own.

Was that supposed to be funny? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jul 27, 2014
FrancisTony:
Their action/inaction is still a reflection of the bigger rot in the society!
While their fraudulent act is condemnable, it is not unexpected in a Country like Nigeria. Ours is a country where the government is so out of control, bloated and infested with fraud,deceit, corruption and abuse of power.
Yes, we should lay the blame at the feet of our corrupt leaders. What a waste of potentials!

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest First Class Honors Graduate, Others Over Internet Fraud by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 27, 2014
It's obvious you are a Igbo.. Learn how to express yourself properly & in a fashion that depicts your "supposed" maturity. you can't claim to be knowledgeable yet write like a buffoon.
You are either in a state of delusion, or live around idio*ts,
nwaanambra1:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Download FREE Project Topics And Materials In Various Department / 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes / 15 Amazing Food Facts.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.