Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,864 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners (24455 Views)

Raw Feeding Dogs - The Pros And Cons / No Parrot Owners Here? / 10 Common Mistakes Dog Owners Make (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Seun(m): 11:42am On Jul 27, 2014
Rational For Raw Feeding Of Dogs

Dogs are basically domesticated grey wolves. Wolves kill and eat various prey animals and they rely on the meat, organs, fat, and bones in those animals for all the energy, protein, vitamins, and minerals that their bodies need. In other words, they're carnivores.

Since dogs were domesticated only ten thousand years ago, during which humans altered primarily their looks and their behaviour through selective breeding, it makes sense to assume that their digestive systems and nutritional needs are almost identical to that of wolves. If true, this would mean that their digestive systems are designed to process raw meat, bones, organs and fat most efficiently. And also, that dogs do not need to eat anything apart from the various parts of prey animals in order to be fully nourished and healthy. This is a hypothesis.

Many dog owners have tested this hypothesis by feeding their dogs exclusively on the various parts of prey animals similar to those that wolves would eat in the wild. And many of them have reported great results over very many years, suggesting that the hypothesis is correct.

Dogs who eat normal dog food or human food poop a lot, and their poop is usually smelly. This is because they can't digest much of the nutrients in such food, so the nutrients they can't digest are passed out in their poop and feasted on by bacteria, making the poop smelly. Dogs on a raw diet have a greatly reduced volume of poop, and the poop has only a faint smell. That means dogs digest raw meat very efficiently.

Dogs who eat raw flesh & bones have whiter teeth and fresher breath. This is because in the process of tearing tough raw flesh and crushing bones - a task which requires the use of all the teeth in a dog's mouth - the tartar on their teeth is scraped away. Also, while normal dog or human food will leave residues in the mouth (starch, sugar, liquid proteins, etc) which bacteria can feed on to generate that awful mouth odor known as "doggy breath", raw meat and bones are torn and swallowed and almost nothing is left behind except a fresh breath.

Raw-fed dogs are also said to be more lively and healthy (not scientifically confirmed), with shinier coats (due to their higher consumption of fat, which is also their main source of energy). If you feed organs, bones and meat in the right ratio, it will not lead to nutritional deficiencies.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by warrenweste(m): 11:46am On Jul 27, 2014
Hmm
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by henry007(m): 11:54am On Jul 27, 2014
Seun: I feed my dog with raw meat, primarily to improve his oral and mental health. When I tried to switch back to canned dog food, his teeth turned yellow and his breath becomes horrible. He also seemed to become less lively (sleeping all day, no interest in playing). So here we are.)
might just be your dogs pedigree.....when you brush your dog's teeth regularly(1/2 times a week) it stays white, even almost glowing

2 Likes

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jul 27, 2014
Feed ur dog with raw meat nd watch d dog feeding on you wen d raw meat is not available

11 Likes

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by mayorall(m): 12:44pm On Jul 27, 2014
I feed mine Arion dog food. She is really growing and playful and hardly sleep. Dogs really love raw meats, She disobeys me while eating meats, She ignores when I call her but she obeys while eating other foods.

1 Like

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by mayorall(m): 12:46pm On Jul 27, 2014
edozie04: Feed ur dog with raw meat nd watch d dog feeding on you wen d raw meat is not available

Not true. We all know dogs best food is meats but we ignore that based on our pocket as meat is expensive.

2 Likes

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jul 27, 2014
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oluomoadebayo: 1:41pm On Jul 27, 2014
Seun: Rational For Raw Feeding Of Dogs

Dogs are basically domesticated grey wolves. Wolves kill and eat various prey animals and they rely on the meat, organs, fat, and bones in those animals for all the energy, protein, vitamins, and minerals that their bodies need. In other words, they're carnivores.

Since dogs were domesticated only ten thousand years ago, during which humans altered primarily their looks and their behaviour through selective breeding, it makes sense to assume that their digestive systems and nutritional needs are almost identical to that of wolves. If true, this would mean that their digestive systems are designed to process raw meat, bones, organs and fat most efficiently. And also, that dogs do not need to eat anything apart from the various parts of prey animals in order to be fully nourished and healthy. This is a hypothesis.

Many dog owners have tested this hypothesis by feeding their dogs exclusively on the various parts of prey animals similar to those that wolves would eat in the wild. And many of them have reported great results over very many years, suggesting that the hypothesis is correct.

Dogs who eat normal dog food or human food poop a lot, and their poop is usually smelly. This is because they can't digest much of the nutrients in such food, so the nutrients they can't digest are passed out in their poop and feasted on by bacteria, making the poop smelly. Dogs on a raw diet have a greatly reduced volume of poop, and the poop has only a faint smell. That means dogs digest raw meat very efficiently.

Dogs who eat raw flesh & bones have whiter teeth and fresher breath. This is because in the process of tearing tough raw flesh and crushing bones - a task which requires the use of all the teeth in a dog's mouth - the tartar on their teeth is scraped away. Also, while normal dog or human food will leave residues in the mouth (starch, sugar, liquid proteins, etc) which bacteria can feed on to generate that awful mouth odor known as "doggy breath", raw meat and bones are torn and swallowed and almost nothing is left behind except a fresh breath.

Raw-fed dogs are also said to be more lively and healthy (not scientifically confirmed), with shinier coats (due to their higher consumption of fat, which is also their main source of energy). If you feed organs, bones and meat in the right ratio, it will not lead to nutritional deficiencies. I feed my dog with raw meat, primarily to improve his oral and mental health. When I tried to switch back to canned dog food, his teeth turned yellow and his breath becomes horrible. He also seemed to become less lively (sleeping all day, no interest in playing). So here we are.

(to be continued)

I thought we have a thread on raw feeding before? Switch to raw and cut your vet bills.

1 Like

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by JigsawKillah(m): 2:05pm On Jul 27, 2014
Why this guy like Pets like this?

SAW
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by mebad(m): 2:42pm On Jul 27, 2014
Won't feeding them with raw food increase their hunting instinct of wanting to feed on every animal they see
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oluomoadebayo: 2:57pm On Jul 27, 2014
Stored dogs food for few months.

2 Likes

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by promise2020(m): 3:59pm On Jul 27, 2014
how old is your dog, what breed, how many of those chiken do your dog consum a day, what time of the day do you feed ur dog( mornin or night) and how much is one of that chicken. sorry for the much quesion am considering to strt feeding my male GSD that is 1yr raw only
oluomoadebayo: Stored dogs food for few months.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oluomoadebayo: 4:28pm On Jul 27, 2014
promise2020: how old is your dog, what breed, how many of those chiken do your dog consum a day, what time of the day do you feed ur dog( mornin or night) and how much is one of that chicken. sorry for the much quesion am considering to strt feeding my male GSD that is 1yr raw only

I have 4 malinois breed and I feed 2 to 3% of their body mass. Those chicken you are seeing are not consumable for human. I got them 2 to 4k per 10kg depends on how lucky and quantity I'm buying.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Seun(m): 9:08pm On Jul 27, 2014
oluomoadebayo: Those chicken you are seeing are not consumable for human. I got them 2 to 4k per 10kg depends on how lucky and quantity I'm buying.
Why are they not consumable for human, specifically? Are they rotten? Freezer-burnt? Just expired though perfectly fine? Thanks.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oluomoadebayo: 10:12pm On Jul 27, 2014
Seun:
Why are they not consumable for human, specifically? Are they rotten? Freezer-burnt? Just expired though perfectly fine? Thanks.

Custom seized the container for like 3 days and was smelling a bit before they released the truck but not rotten. I don't think anyone would tell you their chicken has expired in Nigeria . It was perfectly fine after I re freeze it though.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by DukeNija(m): 12:18am On Jul 28, 2014
Feeding a dog raw food will be too stressful. Buying raw meat and preserving is tasking. Cooked food is easier abeg. No time

3 Likes

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oluomoadebayo: 1:38am On Jul 28, 2014
DukeNija: Feeding a dog raw food will be too stressful. Buying raw meat and preserving is tasking. Cooked food is easier abeg. No time

Your choice.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by jeff1607(m): 8:15am On Jul 28, 2014
DukeNija: Feeding a dog raw food will be too stressful. Buying raw meat and preserving is tasking. Cooked food is easier abeg. No time
Nice one especially when electricity isn't always available,can't keep running d gen for a whole day. Got an abattoir closeby so its far more easier for me. Hrs
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oluomoadebayo: 10:43am On Jul 28, 2014
jeff1607:
Nice one especially when electricity isn't always available,can't keep running d gen for a whole day. Got an abattoir closeby so its far more easier for me. Hrs

A good freezer would run for 2 days once its blocked. And you could also by daily from your abattoir but they only sell biscuit bone cheaply for my side.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Seun(m): 8:10pm On Jul 28, 2014
oluomoadebayo: It was perfectly fine after I re-freeze it though.
How did you determine this? Did you try cooking and eating a small portion? smiley

mebad: Won't feeding them with raw food increase their hunting instinct of wanting to feed on every animal they see
Most raw feeders say this is not the case. My dog hunts every animal in my compound, but this started before I even thought about feeding raw.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oluomoadebayo: 10:17pm On Jul 28, 2014
Seun:
How did you determine this? Did you try cooking and eating a small portion? smiley

Most raw feeders say this is not the case. My dog hunts every animal in my compound, but this started before I even thought about feeding raw.

Yes i ate from it and perfectly fine.

2 Likes

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Mynd44: 4:41am On Jul 29, 2014
standd: Hi Seun smiley
My friend's dog just delivered 5 beautiful puppies. He promised to give me one of them as soon as the puppies open their eyes (I don't know what this means).
I don't know anything about dogs but I just want this puppy cos I crave for a pet. sad
I hope I won't be spending my whole salary to take care of the puppy oh sad
Most dogs are born blind. Why not wait until they are weaned (off the mom's milk) before collecting it? It will reduce the stress of you playing mother with feeding bottles and all

5 Likes

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Mynd44: 4:51am On Jul 29, 2014
Seun, I don't know about this raw food thingy oooo. I have had dogs for a long time now, I don't feed them raw food and they are okay. I don't experience the bad breath or yellow teeth cos we make sure we clean their mouth at regular intervals......

About the poop, I inspect their poop most times and the poop comes out as poop no semi-processed food so I assume the food is completely digested. My dogs go on a steady diest of rice and boiled fish. My sister and her husband are even trying out a new diet of Crayfish with theirs, the dogs seem to love it so far without and side effects.

I really don't like feeding my dogs raw food, I don't want them liking the scent of blood for any reason as we have kids around em. You might say there is no direct relationship but none of my dogs will touch raw meat even when you give them. Although they have bitten overzealous guests once or twice grin, they seem to stop at immobilizing rather than actually bitting and feeding on the person as they don't really like raw meat and blood.

You need to create a balance, do you want pets or guard dogs which will be trained killers. If you have kids around the area where your dogs live and play, raw meat is a no no.

My mum did have a boerbull to herself once, silly dog. She ate everything my mum ate including apples, pineapples, groundnuts, coconuts and developed a special likeness for garden eggs grincheesygrin

18 Likes

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Nobody: 7:34am On Jul 29, 2014
Mynd44:
Most dogs are born blind. Why not wait until they are weaned (off the mom's milk) before collecting it? It will reduce the stress of you playing mother with feeding bottles and all

Thank you. I will do just that.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Kalvan: 4:01am On Jul 30, 2014
I'll feed GEJ to him.

2 Likes

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Ameboperoo(m): 4:05am On Jul 30, 2014
Seun: Rational For Raw Feeding Of Dogs
Raw-fed dogs are also said to be more lively and healthy (not scientifically confirmed), with shinier coats (due to their higher consumption of fat, which is also their main source of energy). If you feed organs, bones and meat in the right ratio, it will not lead to nutritional deficiencies.
hmm! the Oga has spoken
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by shadowwalker101: 4:08am On Jul 30, 2014
i dont have a dog
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img] [img]http:///?k_id=utibeokodi[/img]
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by padeolu: 4:20am On Jul 30, 2014
I will consider giving raw meats a try. But I doubt if my dogs will like it
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by mstik(f): 4:30am On Jul 30, 2014
My dog does not, cannot, will not eat raw food. No way! I really do not know why. I've tried to give her raw fish and chicken but she just sniffed it and walked away My grandpa's local breeds happily chows down on raw food, including entrails but my dog will not. I wonder if it's because she was brought up on cooked food.

2 Likes

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by groovie(m): 5:51am On Jul 30, 2014
standd: Hi Seun smiley
My friend's dog just delivered 5 beautiful puppies. He promised to give me one of them as soon as the puppies open their eyes (I don't know what this means).
I don't know anything about dogs but I just want this puppy cos I crave for a pet. sad
I hope I won't be spending my whole salary to take care of the puppy oh sad

Oga, tell ut friend say we need one puppy here abeg.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

If All Animals were Tamed, Which Animal Will You Take As A Pet? / Introducing My Girl Ariel Of Pearl Kennel / My Puppy Has A Swollen Stomach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.