Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners - Pets (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners (24450 Views)

Raw Feeding Dogs - The Pros And Cons / No Parrot Owners Here? / 10 Common Mistakes Dog Owners Make (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by arcbay(m): 10:14am On Nov 05, 2014
oluomoadebayo:

I thought we have a thread on raw feeding before? Switch to raw and cut your vet bills.

Switch to raw, cut your vet bills but you'll end up paying up surgery bills cos your pet will end up wild and I pray you don't fall victim. Ask the owner of those dogs who bit off omonigho's scalp. His response will shock you...

To all breeders and pet lovers, please anytime we open threads on issues like this, let's endeavor to tell people about the adverse effects too. What works for James might not work for John. You might place your pets exclusively on RAW, it works for you cos you stay in a controlled environment, probably you stay alone with the dogs and there's no possibility of them attacking strangers. A fool might take to your advice and start the RAW thingy, not considering the fact that he lives in a 6-flat rented apartment where there are a lot of neighbors.
Raw feeding has its good sides but I can't advice it cos it has a lot of bad sides too. When your pet gets a taste of blood, he develops this wild instincts, his taste buds are adapted to the taste of blood and his jaw to crushing the bones the ordinary pet will shy away from. He also develops this guard instincts. Please read up a lot more on this before going into it. No offense please, just a piece of my mind.

1 Like

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oluomoadebayo: 10:29am On Nov 05, 2014
arcbay:

Switch to raw, cut your vet bills but you'll end up paying up surgery bills cos your pet will end up wild and I pray you don't fall victim. Ask the owner of those dogs who bit off omonigho's scalp. His response will shock you...

To all breeders and pet lovers, please anytime we open threads on issues like this, let's endeavor to tell people about the adverse effects too. What works for James might not work for John. You might place your pets exclusively on RAW, it works for you cos you stay in a controlled environment, probably you stay alone with the dogs and there's no possibility of them attacking strangers. A fool might take to your advice and start the RAW thingy, not considering the fact that he lives in a 6-flat rented apartment where there are a lot of neighbors.
Raw feeding has its good sides but I can't advice it cos it has a lot of bad sides too. When your pet gets a taste of blood, he develops this wild instincts, his taste buds are adapted to the taste of blood and his jaw to crushing the bones the ordinary pet will shy away from. He also develops this guard instincts. Please read up a lot more on this before going into it. No offense please, just a piece of my mind.

Food, being raw or dry have nothing to do with your dog aggression and I don't think you really understand the basics of feeding dog. I have a lot of dogs on raw food and it doesn't change the personality of any of them. Raise your dogs and socialize them well and you have nothing to worry about. All those methods of confinding and blinding dogs crate with no exercise or training are the cause of many problem. I wonder why you will keep a Rottweiler, GSD and the likes without exercising them and you expect your dog to behave. I can tell you Nothing is wrong with raw feeding.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by arcbay(m): 2:35pm On Nov 05, 2014
oluomoadebayo:

Food, being raw or dry have nothing to do with your dog aggression and I don't think you really understand the basics of feeding dog. I have a lot of dogs on raw food and it doesn't change the personality of any of them. Raise your dogs and socialize them well and you have nothing to worry about. All those methods of confinding and blinding dogs crate with no exercise or training are the cause of many problem. I wonder why you will keep a Rottweiler, GSD and the likes without exercising them and you expect your dog to behave. I can tell you Nothing is wrong with raw feeding.

Been into dogs since I was 10. I guess you still need a whole lot of lecture on the basics of feeding but I won't wanna go into details...Raw Feeding does not literarily mean feeding dogs on raw meat, cos that's the average man's interpretation. All i'm saying is this, anytime we wanna advice people to try something new, let them know the adverse effects too. "Your diet determines your personality", "You are what you eat"...Rings any bell?
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oluomoadebayo: 2:52pm On Nov 05, 2014
arcbay:

Been into dogs since I was 10. I guess you still need a whole lot of lecture on the basics of feeding but I won't wanna go into details...Raw Feeding does not literarily mean feeding dogs on raw meat, cos that's the average man's interpretation. All i'm saying is this, anytime we wanna advice people to try something new, let them know the adverse effects too. "Your diet determines your personality", "You are what you eat"...Rings any bell?

No, rings no bell and who cares if you go into details or not. Raw feeding means feeding natural foods and I have a ready for feeding raw because I used to feed kibbles . Have you ever feed raw before or you just based your argument on the general perceptions? If the answer is no then you don't deserve an explanation. I don't know how old are you now and it doesn't matter to me either but I want to tell you this; feeding raw has nothing to do with your dog wilderness.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by arcbay(m): 7:22pm On Nov 05, 2014
oluomoadebayo:

No, rings no bell and who cares if you go into details or not. Raw feeding means feeding natural foods and I have a ready for feeding raw because I used to feed kibbles . Have you ever feed raw before or you just based your argument on the general perceptions? If the answer is no then you don't deserve an explanation. I don't know how old are you now and it doesn't matter to me either but I want to tell you this; feeding raw has nothing to do with your dog wilderness.

As regards my age, "i'm way way over 2 scores and close to the ring". Seems you enjoy it when people nurse your ego but that's one thing i'll never do. I'm the blunt type. I'm not against raw diet, the fact that i'm against it now doesn't make me right. And pls quote and unquote, any comment I make on NL is always based on my personal experiences and of those around me.

On raw diet for the younger days of my breeding career. I still stand my ground, I f you wanna advice people on anything, let them be aware of the consequences too. What works for James might no work for John. We have a lot of newbies in here who will stop at nothing to try out every new idea they come across. So let's be wary of our posts and comments. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oluomoadebayo: 11:41pm On Nov 05, 2014
oluomoadebayo:

No, rings no bell and who cares if you go into details or not. Raw feeding means feeding natural foods and I have a reason for feeding raw because I used to feed kibbles . Have you ever fed raw before or you just based your argument on the general perceptions? If the answer is no then you don't deserve an explanation. I don't know how old you are now and it doesn't matter to me either but I want to tell you this; feeding raw has nothing to do with your dog wilderness.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by ikechialex1(m): 7:05am On Nov 06, 2014
Its interesting but my broda i think it can make them go wiled, I have a dog farm with over 30 dogs males and female of different breeds both puppies and i feed them on dry food (chimchim or biscuit as layman may call it) I go with your idea but I think it will make them hungry for raw meats always n when d meat not there that means we r at risk!
Seun:
Rational For Raw Feeding Of Dogs

Dogs are basically domesticated grey wolves. Wolves kill and eat various prey animals and they rely on the meat, organs, fat, and bones in those animals for all the energy, protein, vitamins, and minerals that their bodies need. In other words, they're carnivores.

Since dogs were domesticated only ten thousand years ago, during which humans altered primarily their looks and their behaviour through selective breeding, it makes sense to assume that their digestive systems and nutritional needs are almost identical to that of wolves. If true, this would mean that their digestive systems are designed to process raw meat, bones, organs and fat most efficiently. And also, that dogs do not need to eat anything apart from the various parts of prey animals in order to be fully nourished and healthy. This is a hypothesis.

Many dog owners have tested this hypothesis by feeding their dogs exclusively on the various parts of prey animals similar to those that wolves would eat in the wild. And many of them have reported great results over very many years, suggesting that the hypothesis is correct.

Dogs who eat normal dog food or human food poop a lot, and their poop is usually smelly. This is because they can't digest much of the nutrients in such food, so the nutrients they can't digest are passed out in their poop and feasted on by bacteria, making the poop smelly. Dogs on a raw diet have a greatly reduced volume of poop, and the poop has only a faint smell. That means dogs digest raw meat very efficiently.

Dogs who eat raw flesh & bones have whiter teeth and fresher breath. This is because in the process of tearing tough raw flesh and crushing bones - a task which requires the use of all the teeth in a dog's mouth - the tartar on their teeth is scraped away. Also, while normal dog or human food will leave residues in the mouth (starch, sugar, liquid proteins, etc) which bacteria can feed on to generate that awful mouth odor known as "doggy breath", raw meat and bones are torn and swallowed and almost nothing is left behind except a fresh breath.

Raw-fed dogs are also said to be more lively and healthy (not scientifically confirmed), with shinier coats (due to their higher consumption of fat, which is also their main source of energy). If you feed organs, bones and meat in the right ratio, it will not lead to nutritional deficiencies.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by ikechialex1(m): 7:17am On Nov 06, 2014
I have a dog farm with over 30 dogs of different breeds can i get a supply of those chickens to ph? I'l buy up 100kg on steady supply if possible everyday.

ote author=oluomoadebayo post=27742691]

Food, being raw or dry have nothing to do with your dog aggression and I don't think you really understand the basics of feeding dog. I have a lot of dogs on raw food and it doesn't change the personality of any of them. Raise your dogs and socialize them well and you have nothing to worry about. All those methods of confinding and blinding dogs crate with no exercise or training are the cause of many problem. I wonder why you will keep a Rottweiler, GSD and the likes without exercising them and you expect your dog to behave. I can tell you Nothing is wrong with raw feeding.[/quote]
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by ikechialex1(m): 7:20am On Nov 06, 2014
I have a dog farm with over 30 dogs of different breeds can i get a supply of those chickens to ph? I'l buy up 100kg on steady supply if possible everyday.

oluomoadebayo:

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by italent101: 8:14am On Nov 06, 2014
Seun:
Rational For Raw Feeding Of Dogs

Dogs are basically domesticated grey wolves. Wolves kill and eat various prey animals and they rely on the meat, organs, fat, and bones in those animals for all the energy, protein, vitamins, and minerals that their bodies need. In other words, they're carnivores.

Since dogs were domesticated only ten thousand years ago, during which humans altered primarily their looks and their behaviour through selective breeding, it makes sense to assume that their digestive systems and nutritional needs are almost identical to that of wolves. If true, this would mean that their digestive systems are designed to process raw meat, bones, organs and fat most efficiently. And also, that dogs do not need to eat anything apart from the various parts of prey animals in order to be fully nourished and healthy. This is a hypothesis.

Many dog owners have tested this hypothesis by feeding their dogs exclusively on the various parts of prey animals similar to those that wolves would eat in the wild. And many of them have reported great results over very many years, suggesting that the hypothesis is correct.

Dogs who eat normal dog food or human food poop a lot, and their poop is usually smelly. This is because they can't digest much of the nutrients in such food, so the nutrients they can't digest are passed out in their poop and feasted on by bacteria, making the poop smelly. Dogs on a raw diet have a greatly reduced volume of poop, and the poop has only a faint smell. That means dogs digest raw meat very efficiently.

Dogs who eat raw flesh & bones have whiter teeth and fresher breath. This is because in the process of tearing tough raw flesh and crushing bones - a task which requires the use of all the teeth in a dog's mouth - the tartar on their teeth is scraped away. Also, while normal dog or human food will leave residues in the mouth (starch, sugar, liquid proteins, etc) which bacteria can feed on to generate that awful mouth odor known as "doggy breath", raw meat and bones are torn and swallowed and almost nothing is left behind except a fresh breath.

Raw-fed dogs are also said to be more lively and healthy (not scientifically confirmed), with shinier coats (due to their higher consumption of fat, which is also their main source of energy). If you feed organs, bones and meat in the right ratio, it will not lead to nutritional deficiencies.
good morning sir! This morning I noticed my dog isn't eating his food like before unless I add Titus to it and he won't even eat it finish **I tried giving him local food same thing happened**what can I do Sir **a friend asked me to cane him to make him eat d food but am not a fan of beating dogs
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Seun(m): 8:54am On Nov 06, 2014
italent101:
good morning sir! This morning I noticed my dog isn't eating his food like before unless I add Titus to it and he won't even eat it finish **I tried giving him local food same thing happened
In order to give you good advice, we need to know the following:
What food did you give him that he's no longer eating?
What local food did you give him that he also rejected?
How old is the dog? When was he last dewormed?
How much do you feed him daily and how many times?

a friend asked me to cane him to make him eat d food but am not a fan of beating dogs
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! Beating does not boost a dog's appetite. In fact, a battered dog is going to have less desire to eat. Pls unfriend that friend of yours because I'm sure that's not the first time he gave you stupid advice. Pls stop asking him for advice about dogs!
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by italent101: 9:10am On Nov 06, 2014
Seun:
In order to give you good advice, we need to know the following:
What food did you give him that he's no longer eating?
What local food did you give him that he also rejected?
How old is the dog? When was he last dewormed?
How much do you feed him daily and how many times?

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! Beating does not boost a dog's appetite. In fact, a battered dog is going to have less desire to eat. Pls unfriend that friend of yours because I'm sure that's not the first time he gave you stupid advice. Pls stop asking him for advice about dogs!
dog indomie **local food amala **he eats rice at times but not that much **and at times**bread but he seems to be rejecting the foods I mentioned above gradually but he loves eating with fish **eja aroh*gbigbe **but his fish finished 2days ago so am not sure if its cos of the absence of the fish that's making him eat little out of the food! This morning I tried adding this one fish called kote in Yoruba BT seems like he doesn't like it **so my question is that is it because of d little bone present in d kote
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Nobody: 9:12am On Nov 06, 2014
Seun:

Haba, take it easy man.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by rinrin23(f): 9:25am On Nov 06, 2014
italent101:
good morning sir! This morning I noticed my dog isn't eating his food like before unless I add Titus to it and he won't even eat it finish **I tried giving him local food same thing happened**what can I do Sir **a friend asked me to cane him to make him eat d food but am not a fan of beating dogs

OMG! Please DO NOT cane the dog. That makes no sense at all!. When my dog has a low appetite I feed him soup- try chicken soup, boil chicken and use the liquid (dilute with water and do not use onions) cut tiny pieces of chicken into it and some indomie and veggies if you have. I've also noticed my dog would eat anything that's covered in olive oil no matter how low his appetite is.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by barcaboi(m): 9:39am On Nov 06, 2014
JustGuy:
Hello Seun, Mynd and others in here..... I keep Caucasians. I live in Jos, and over here we feed dogs mostly with maize, millet, groundnut cake and sometimes soya beans. Is this a good diet, or should I consider the rice and fish? And what kind of fish/rice is used? Again, I supplement my puppies with NAN as from 3 - 5 days - I hear it's not advisable? And please what is the best diet for puppies, say from 8 weeks? Thanks!
how much do u sell ur caucasian?
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Seun(m): 9:49am On Nov 06, 2014
JuniorXpert:
Haba, take it easy man.
We must take a stand against 'friends' who advise people to abuse their dogs. We mishandled our first dogs because a 'friend' told us pressing their tails would make them aggressive. It didn't work; the dogs suffered at our hands for nothing. Someone on this forum hacked off the tails of his GSDs because a 'friend' said it'd make them aggressive. Of course it didn't work but the dogs had to suffer the agony of the brutal act.

italent101:
dog indomie **local food amala **he eats rice at times but not that much **and at times**bread but he seems to be rejecting the foods I mentioned above gradually but he loves eating with fish **eja aroh*gbigbe ** but his fish finished 2 days ago so am not sure if its cos of the absence of the fish that's making him eat little out of the food!
Of course it's because the fish got finished. You can't expect your dog to eat amala and rice and bread without fish. Dogs are designed to live on animal flesh - primarily meat & poultry & to a lesser extent fish - but they can manage starchy foods like indomie, rice and amala and bread if they are mixed with meat or fish. Pls stop feeding him with amala and bread; those are harder for them to digest. Rice is the best.

This morning I tried adding this one fish called kote in Yoruba BT seems like he doesn't like it **so my question is that is it because of d little bone present in d kote
He's not used to the taste and smell of the new fish. Bones are not a problem for dogs; they NEED bones. You should feed him rice mixed with equal quantities of the ejah aroh gbigbe and the kote fish so he gets used to the smell of the new fish. You can feed indomie if rice isn't available, but you need to crush the indomie until it has the texture of rice before cooking it (without the seasoning) and mixing with fish. Many Nigerians feed their dogs with rich mixed with a whole boiled shawa fish every day. This is cheap and quite good for the dogs too.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by italent101: 11:00am On Nov 06, 2014
rinrin23:

OMG! Please DO NOT cane the dog. That makes no sense at all!. When my dog has a low appetite I feed him soup- try chicken soup, boil chicken and use the liquid (dilute with water and do not use onions) cut tiny pieces of chicken into it and some indomie and veggies if you have. I've also noticed my dog would eat anything that's covered in olive oil no matter how low his appetite is.
same here °°°thanks
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by italent101: 11:01am On Nov 06, 2014
Seun:

We must take a stand against 'friends' who advise people to abuse their dogs. We mishandled our first dogs because a 'friend' told us pressing their tails would make them aggressive. It didn't work; the dogs suffered at our hands for nothing. Someone on this forum hacked off the tails of his GSDs because a 'friend' said it'd make them aggressive. Of course it didn't work but the dogs had to suffer the agony of the brutal act.

Of course it's because the fish got finished. You can't expect your dog to eat amala and rice and bread without fish. Dogs are designed to live on animal flesh - primarily meat & poultry & to a lesser extent fish - but they can manage starchy foods like indomie, rice and amala and bread if they are mixed with meat or fish. Pls stop feeding him with amala and bread; those are harder for them to digest. Rice is the best.

He's not used to the taste and smell of the new fish. Bones are not a problem for dogs; they NEED bones. You should feed him rice mixed with equal quantities of the ejah aroh gbigbe and the kote fish so he gets used to the smell of the new fish. You can feed indomie if rice isn't available, but you need to crush the indomie until it has the texture of rice before cooking it (without the seasoning) and mixing with fish. Many Nigerians feed their dogs with rich mixed with a whole boiled shawa fish every day. This is cheap and quite good for the dogs too.
thanks will go with your advice
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by JustGuy(m): 8:44pm On Nov 06, 2014
barcaboi:

how much do u sell ur caucasian?
Between N100K and N150K.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Baryoh007(m): 7:56pm On Feb 11, 2015
I have 6weeks old Caucasian Shepard puppies. Contact me for more info. Six weeks today and received their first vaccination.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oludon13(m): 11:59pm On Sep 07, 2015
My dogs love eggs shredded into their indomie and chicken. Of course half a crate of egg shredded daily in their meal and the shell well grounded and well mixed together with the meal. Their poop is usually golden brown and turned white when dried.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Apitch(m): 4:36pm On Sep 08, 2015
oludon13:
My dogs love eggs shredded into their indomie and chicken. Of course half a crate of egg shredded daily in their meal and the shell well grounded and well mixed together with the meal. Their poop is usually golden brown and turned white when dried.
HALF A CRATE DAILY? Bro abeg how many dogs U get?
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oludon13(m): 7:31pm On Sep 13, 2015
HALF A CRATE DAILY? Bro abeg how many dogs U get?

Five sir, but only four feeds on wet food.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oludon13(m): 7:36pm On Sep 13, 2015
Only five sir. But four feeds on wet food for now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Apitch(m): 10:01pm On Sep 13, 2015
oludon13:
So 15eggs for 4 dogs daily approx 4eggs per dog! Bro think am na, is it not too much?
O ti po ju
Where dem dog nutritionist o? We need answers here

1 Like

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by MrPhilay(m): 11:19am On Dec 22, 2016
grin lwkmd ooooo. Na today i know say Dogs dey enjoy life pass human being
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by damiz(m): 2:03pm On Dec 22, 2016
Cow meat

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Dimovic(m): 8:11am On Dec 28, 2016
Seun:

How did you determine this? Did you try cooking and eating a small portion? smiley

Most raw feeders say this is not the case. My dog hunts every animal in my compound, but this started before I even thought about feeding raw.
My dog has killed three native fowls in my compound by hunting and bitting off their heads..Really aggressive
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by jbblues24(m): 3:16pm On Jun 01, 2019
After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say “I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER.” wink
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jul 02, 2019
oludon13:

smiley
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by nairamaniac: 4:36pm On Aug 18, 2023
oluomoadebayo:

I thought we have a thread on raw feeding before? Switch to raw and cut your vet bills.
Please can you give me the link to the thread on RAW FEEDING?
THANX!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

If All Animals were Tamed, Which Animal Will You Take As A Pet? / Introducing My Girl Ariel Of Pearl Kennel / My Puppy Has A Swollen Stomach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.