Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:30 PM

This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded (3325 Views)

Ayodeji Answered 10 Tough Maths Questions Within 60 Secs(video) / Hypothetical Question: Can WAEC Results Of Dif. Yrs Be Merged Into A Single One? / Question: Can I Study Abroad As A Nigerian Without SAT And TOEFL Tests? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by UjSizzle(f): 12:00pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23:

grin grin More English Kwa...
Na how I Sabi explain am be this o embarassed
Draw me a picture then. Or give me a mental image with something I can relate with? I need visual aid to learn anything embarassed

Oh I'm reading up this theory of relativity on the web sha. Maybe it will help somewhat undecided
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jul 28, 2014
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Shagati(m): 12:29pm On Jul 28, 2014
krall: who told you that abeg??

Mr Google

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by UjSizzle(f): 12:30pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23:

Chai! This aspect is sort of like conceptual physics. You model with mental pictures. Unless maybe nairaland can tether our brains together grin

For the space time continuum warping. Think of a mosquito net in 3D then imagine throwing a stone at it whilst assuming the mosquito net gives way as soon as the stone touches it but doesn't tear oo. It just keeps giving way at the front elastically while mending at the back of the stone. ice the separated strands glue back behind the stone sort of. I don't think I'm making sense sef embarassed
Ok. I get the image but not the relationship. Establish a relationship between the mosquito net/stone, the Earth's surface/man and the train/man smiley
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jul 28, 2014
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 28, 2014
Shagati:

Mr Google

i know. sorry sir, i meant km/hr.
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Matthewbriggs(m): 12:40pm On Jul 28, 2014
I have actually tried this experiment but in a moving bus.

First I threw a ball vertically upwards over a short distance and it landed at the same spot. Then I threw is up a more father distance up and it changed it did not land at the same spot but a few spot opposite the direction of the moving bus.

Meaning the father it went up the more the possibility of it not landing the same spot increased

Also I tried jumping up in the bus I landed in the same spot. But the moment I jumped more higher I moved few meters opposite off where I jumped from. I nearly fell, I lost balance.

This is my hypothesis once you are in contact with the train via standing or sitting your speed is the same with train.

The moment you jump you lose contact with the train but your speed is more faster than the train because its the trains speed plus the your new speed you derived from the force you applied in the jump.

The challenge is that new speed can't be sustained. It starts reducing while that of the train increases or is constant.

So the train covers more distance once you jump that is not equal to what your body used to cover when it was in contact with the train.

The more time you spend up the more distance you lose hence the you moving a few steps behind from the direction of the train

Just saying.

2 Likes

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by UjSizzle(f): 12:54pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23: man= stone fragments/ tiny pieces Stone = train Net = Spacetime 'held' by Earth. Warped Net = New spacetime of stone. It's the simplest model I could come up with wink

Your simple is complex. I won't mind tethering to your brain undecided I think the problem is that you're forgetting you aren't explaining this to a Science major. Use layman terms biko nna grin

Btw do you agree with MatthewBriggs?
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 28, 2014

1 Like

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by jaryeh(m): 1:51pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23:

I don try ooo . If I write again It might still be the same brouhaha. sad

I agree with Matthew of course. Many constraints makes his model unsuitable.
1) Being inability to run on a fairly smooth surface compared to train tracks
2) Air interference.
3) Uneven speed and acceleration giving the air molecules stored inertia even while the bus is no longer accelerating.
4) A bus is fairly small and dampers on the wheels still pass on inertia that in the normal direction of travel of the bus.

We are over looking the assumptions of the initial post.
Large train
Inside (closed to external interferences)
uniform speed (450mph)
Etc.

In real life his model will hold but optimizing with the assumption supplied it ceases to hold
I think I get you now.
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by UjSizzle(f): 1:54pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23:

2) Air interference.
3) Uneven speed and acceleration giving the air molecules stored inertia even while the bus is no longer accelerating.
4) A bus is fairly small and dampers on the wheels still pass on inertia that in the normal direction of travel of the bus.

Large train
uniform speed (450mph)
Etc.

In real life his model will hold but optimizing with the assumption supplied it ceases to hold
Ahh I understand now smiley
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jul 28, 2014
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Matthewbriggs(m): 2:07pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23:

2) Air interference.

Large train
uniform speed (450mph)
Etc.

I conducted this this experiment in a luxy bus hence.

1. It was running on an express road in fairly smooth direction.

2. Windows were closed it were closed if was fitted with an Ac.

3. I was weary to put that into consideration and conducted this experiment when the luxury bus was undergoing a sustained speed and acceleration.

4. The luxury bus is as long an a trians single coach.

It may not be exactly the same conditions as the train but very close.
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by jaryeh(m): 2:07pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23:

smiley
Notwithstanding that Mech Engineering applies mostly classical physics you could still go out of your way to study this Relativity aspect of modern physics as it has a lot to do with naval and aerospace Engineering even bullet trains.
More grease to your elbow.
Oh! Thanks sir. I'll surely do, it seems very interesting. cheesy

More power to your elbow too. cheesy

1 Like

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jul 28, 2014
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 28, 2014

2 Likes

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23:

Ahha!! smiley

I was just trying to stick objectively to the assumptions supplied by the o.p neglecting any real life experience.
In real life the closest you can get to feeling this strange phenomenon is traveling by sea or air. Road get too many constraints.
the reason I used a train is because
1. The smooth feel of the rail travel
2. It is not pressurised like airplanes
3. The high speed.

I still stick to the claim that if you can stay off the ground long enough without any support from the train, you should decelerate up to an extent even if little.

Let me use a chicken for example. Although it cannot fly, it can stay afloat for a short time. The moment it detaches it self from the moving body, it starts to decelerate and if it can stay long enough to reduce its speed to zero, what everyone moving with the train would see is a chicken being flung to the back. In reality, the back of the cabin moves towards the chicken.
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jul 28, 2014

2 Likes

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 28, 2014
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by PatEinstEin(m): 3:15pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23:

A luxury is quite small still. A large train according to the O.p doesn't signify a long train.
Even the smoothest road can't compete with rail tracks.
The nature of diesel and petrol engines makes it such that it's almost always accelerating or decelerating no matter how minute. Constant speed assumption overridden.
450mph vs 120kmph is a huge gap o.
Then the damping effects of steering etc.
We shouldn't confuse the O.P's train with our average trains.

And we shouldn't neglect almighty chaos theory too.

*modified*
Assuming the windows are closed and matter in the train tends to drift backwards against the movement of the train as they do not have 'rigid' connections to the train. Air molecules having a transient energy profile from the front of the train to the back should set up a pressure difference in the train and consequently a turbulent wind flow. But this doesn't happen.
Cool point!

1 Like

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23:
if that is the case what happens to the air that the chicken relied upon to stay afloat?
Does it also lose velocity and move to the back of the train?
air is not solid my friend. and the so called air flowing freely in the cabin. am getting fedup with ur theoritical ramblings. angry
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by PatEinstEin(m): 3:23pm On Jul 28, 2014
krall: air is not solid my friend. and the so called air flowing freely in the cabin. am getting fedup with ur theoritical ramblings. angry
I bet u are not a scientist grin

1 Like

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jul 28, 2014
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 28, 2014
PatEinstEin:
I bet u are not a scientist grin
I am. But I hate theories that don't comply fully practically due to some "unforeseen sh!t."
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23:
The laws of physics are state independent.
Unless we are discussing chemistry.
Go and teach a kid how to ride a bicycle using the laws of physics. Some things just need to be practicalized

1 Like

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jul 28, 2014
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Localamos(m): 3:56pm On Jul 28, 2014
Three7Ty9:

Loooooool, Dude, I just tried it inside BRT and landed on my neighbours face.

grin

Hope he didn't land you a hot slap grin
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jul 28, 2014
Localamos:

grin

Hope he didn't land you a hot slap grin

Lol, nah, just a nudge on the shoulders, Nice dude yeah. grin
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Matthewbriggs(m): 4:45pm On Jul 28, 2014
@Nonso you are making valid points but I just think you're over complicating a very simple question.
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 28, 2014
Matthewbriggs: @Nonso you are making valid points but I just think you're over complicating a very simple question.

exactly.
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by crackhaus: 4:48pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23:

Ahha!! smiley

I was just trying to stick objectively to the assumptions supplied by the o.p neglecting any real life experience.
In real life the closest you can get to feeling this strange phenomenon is traveling by sea or air. Road get too many constraints.
Are the constraints less when traveling by sea or air, or are they totally non-existent?

Meanwhile, what happens when you jump up in an elevator going up at constant speed?
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jul 28, 2014
crackhaus:
Are the constraints less when traveling by sea or air, or are they totally non-existent?

Meanwhile, what happens when you jump up in an elevator going up at constant speed?
cheesy cheesy another question for another day!!

You will land back on the floor of the elevator naa, abi will you float?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FUTMINNA Post Utme 2015/2016 Form, Cut Off Mark, Exam Dates, Eligibility Out / YABA Tech Aspirant Whatsapp Group 2018 / Saudi Arabia Banned Abaya In Exam Hall For Female.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.