Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,503 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

Your Advice For A Beginner Database Administrator? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Your Advice For A Beginner Database Administrator? (2203 Views)

Whats The Fate Of An Oracle Database Administrator In Nigeria / Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? / What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Advice For A Beginner Database Administrator? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jul 27, 2014
Guys, I've been very passionate about computers for close to a decade now. Sadly all i really know on that programming side are fundamentals in HTML, CSS and Javascript.

I'm now attempting a career change into IT to make myself more marketable/valuable. And luckily the opportunity of traveling out suddenly presented itself, which i intend to grasp with 2 hands.

All things being equal right about this time next year i should be proceeding for a 12 months course in Database administration (DBA).

DBA was like the best choice available to me...
1)as per actualizing my traveling out dreams
2)considering my present competencies and my interests.

To prep I'm about starting off teaching myself Microsoft Access.

Once I'm done with DBA the continuous path i need to take on the IT road should be clearer but regardless i hear Python is the Most Popular Programming Language recommended for First-Time Learners and i intend to dabble into that soon.

What's your general advice for me on the IT hustle and my DBA current plans and dream.
Re: Your Advice For A Beginner Database Administrator? by Urine: 4:40pm On Jul 27, 2014
chukux2: Guys, I've been very passionate about computers for close to a decade now. Sadly all i really know on that programming side are fundamentals in HTML, CSS and Javascript.

I'm now attempting a career change into IT to make myself more marketable/valuable. And luckily the opportunity of traveling out suddenly presented itself, which i intend to grasp with 2 hands.

All things being equal right about this time next year i should be proceeding for a 12 months course in Database administration (DBA).

Once I'm done with DBA the continuous path i need to take on the IT road should be clearer but regardless i hear Python is the Most Popular Programming Language recommended for First-Time Learners and i intend to dabble into that soon.

What's your general advice for me on the IT hustle and my DBA current plans and dream.

Why are you starting with Access? Since you're travelling next year and you want to start studying on your own learning MySQL is the best way for you to go, if you can master this, moving to Oracle and MSSQL won't be a challenge. As for programming, why not stay on your database hustle for now, when you become a wizard you can start learning programming. Don't make the jack of all trade mistake.

That said, if you can be fast in learning SQL, Python and a little bit of statistics, you will end up being more than just a database administrator, You will probably end up being a data analyst, the coolest job ever!

Download this book if you want to learn MySQL;
http://it-ebooks.info/book/1624/

2 Likes

Re: Your Advice For A Beginner Database Administrator? by youngestpr(m): 4:43pm On Jul 27, 2014
Well said, the choice is yours. Other options you can look at as far as the database side is concerned is MYSQL and MSSQL. Not so much difference between them and they should rapidly increase your knowledge in DBA. You may also want to take a look at Structured Query Language(SQL).
Re: Your Advice For A Beginner Database Administrator? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jul 27, 2014
Thanks guys. I know i must eventually get my hands dirty in MYSQL but being i have 12 months to go i believe i have time. Plus Microsoft Access was the beginner step recommended by the school for prospective students and a bunch of articles i read online. it's basically a "started from the bottom..." kind of move. Or are you saying it's of no importance at all and i should jump straight into Mysql?
Re: Your Advice For A Beginner Database Administrator? by youngestpr(m): 6:27pm On Jul 27, 2014
chukux2: Thanks guys. I know i must eventually get my hands dirty in MYSQL but being i have 12 months to go i believe i have time. Plus Microsoft Access was the beginner step recommended by the school for prospective students and a bunch of articles i read online. it's basically a "started from the bottom..." kind of move. Or are you saying it's of no importance at all and i should jump straight into Mysql?
In my opinion, no knowledge is lost. If the school recommends Access, start with it but just have it in mind that SQL is good.
Re: Your Advice For A Beginner Database Administrator? by asalimpo(m): 10:55pm On Jul 27, 2014
chukux2: Guys, I've been very passionate about computers for close to a decade now. Sadly all i really know on that programming side are fundamentals in HTML, CSS and Javascript.

You've dabbled into I.T for almost 10 years , i'll put it at between 7-9yrs.
so what how come you're still a novice and seemingly ungrounded in any field,not even past the rookie stage?
I ask this without intention to insult but curiousity.
Didnt you have a pc? in 7 years one could have been a self taught web developer.
or a decent programmer or a decent dba. share your story.
Re: Your Advice For A Beginner Database Administrator? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jul 27, 2014
asalimpo:
You've dabbled into I.T for almost 10 years , i'll put it at between 7-9yrs.
so what how come you're still a novice and seemingly ungrounded in any field,not even past the rookie stage?
I ask this without intention to insult but curiousity.
Didnt you have a pc? in 7 years one could have been a self taught web developer.
or a decent programmer or a decent dba. share your story.
My regular job, laziness, lack of materials (laptop, internet connection), poor guidance and counseling; shi*t happens man.

The good thing is that it's never too late for redemption.
Re: Your Advice For A Beginner Database Administrator? by asalimpo(m): 11:05pm On Jul 27, 2014
chukux2:
My regular job, laziness, lack of materials (laptop, internet connection), poor guidance and counseling; shi*t happens man.

yeah, i get u.
sh*t happens and time flies. Before you blink its 10 years already

1 Like

Re: Your Advice For A Beginner Database Administrator? by youngestpr(m): 6:43am On Jul 28, 2014
chukux2:

And electricity smiley

2 Likes

Re: Your Advice For A Beginner Database Administrator? by airsaylongcon: 1:43am On May 08, 2016
My candid advice get your hands dirty learning SQL. The language I mean. Start from. The basic SHOW DATABASES all the way to complex inner joins
Re: Your Advice For A Beginner Database Administrator? by tr3y(m): 11:06pm On May 08, 2016
If all it takes to be a data administrator is SQL then I have been wasting my skills.

There isn’t much to SQL maybe inner join and stuff, I picked it up while learning PHP.
OP Goodluck

(1) (Reply)

A Full-time Full-stack Developer Wanted In Ikeja / Another Programming Challenge / Please, I Need A Step-by-step Tutorial For Developing Android Apps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.